Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favourite kildare gaa memory

Go down 
+13
bob12
peile
Sam1928
lilywhiteforlife
walsheman
Always_White
MD
Rex
Son of Sarsfields
gremlin
kickingking
Jimmy winning matches
lilypremier
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Not much more I can add to this thread that hasn't already been said as regards great Kildare memories, kickingking summed up 3 glorious games perfectly, I suppose I have to plumb for 98 Leinster Final, the clock ticking down Kildare who were looking like a comfortable winners for most of the game allowed Meath back to within a point, then as just about every Kildare supporter had their fingers nails chawed so much that there was nothing left to chaw at, the ref gives Meath a soft free, I'll never forget the reaction of Glen Ryan who was involved in the innocuous challenge that led to the awarding of the free, Glenn heard the whistle and looked up from his kneeling position on the ground more in hope that the ref would be pointing in the direction of the Meath goal and had awarded a free out, to his horror but not surprise the ref was pointing towards the Kildare goal, the despair in Glenns face as he thumped the ground in frustration [oh no not again! ] I have never forgotten, of course Meath tapped over for the equaliser at this stage the Kildare fans would nearly have settled for a replay, then one, two, three GOAL!!! the place erupted the roof swelled such was the outpouring of joy and has to be said enormous relief because moments earlier we were in despair!. Cue wonderful after match celebrations!.
Back to top Go down
kildare101
Junior C
Junior C
kildare101

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:57 pm

98 and the atmosphere in the county.

Remember going to all the games with my Dad and Uncle (who's sadly passed) and can't think of better memories to remember him by than that of paying the Dublin "how aRe ya's" a fiver to mind/ not damage your car, storming the pitch when we won each game and then back to the Johnstown Inn to see the team.

Was on the Hill for the final against Galway and remember having this nervous feeling that we were too confident... we had got that far with everyone expecting us to loose and then when we got there it all changed..

Anyway the county went crazy for a summer... the Kildare equivalent of Italia 90 and can't see how I'll ever experience anything like that again..

Thinking of that now and then considering what happened to Louth on Sunday makes you think. What would you have done in 98 if we were denied like that?
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Leinster Final 98, on the pitch singing "The Curragh of Kildare" - my best KIldare memory so far - icing on the cake that day, we beat Meath..
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Always_White wrote:
Peile, it's gas you mention every time we beat Meath as one of your favourite memories, I used to feel that way about Offaly on account of the number of times they beat us in the seventies. However I've had counselling for that and now I'm o.k., the fact that we've we've beaten them a few times helps. I've now moved my dislike over to Meath like you.

Was never fond of Offaly either but more tolerant now, must be mellowing with age .
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Can I add one more thing from the last moments of that 98 Leinster Final, when Meath got that late equaliser the canal end was a sea of waving green flags, the Meath fans had hardly got into full voice with their taunting of us Kildare fans as moments later Murphy rattled the net, you could have heard a pin drop in the canal end and not a flag in sight, glorious sight! and just for good measure Kildare tapped on two more points to really rub the salt in!.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 pm

I got sacked in '98 as the boss gave us the monday off after the all-ireland final. One day wasnt enough for me though and sauntered back in on the wednesday citing severe depression as the reason for my extended absence.

I didnt know about employee rights back then. Crap job anyway. Needed that extra day to recover.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Well at least he gave you the monday off, but why do I get the feeling Sam you like a lot of others me included took other extended Holidays after we beat Meath and Kerry and tried the bosses patience?.
Severe depression seems a reasonably valid excuse though, considering the circumstances!.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:50 pm

kildarecat wrote:
Can I add one more thing from the last moments of that 98 Leinster Final, when Meath got that late equaliser the canal end was a sea of waving green flags, the Meath fans had hardly got into full voice with their taunting of us Kildare fans as moments later Murphy rattled the net, you could have heard a pin drop in the canal end and not a flag in sight, glorious sight! and just for good measure Kildare tapped on two more points to really rub the salt in!.

Yeah and if they hadn't stretchered Declan Kerrigan off Murphy wouldn't have been on to score the goal...extra sickner for them
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:47 am

Beating Dublin in 98 was great .Got the monkey off our backs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite kildare gaa memory   Your Favourite kildare gaa memory - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favourite kildare gaa memory
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2