Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU

Go down 
+11
Loads of Pints
Sam1928
lillyboy
SeamusMurphy
Stonecold
Ogie
B'side blues
hawker
disano
topcat
Bad News Baba
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Empty
PostSubject: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:33 am

Hmmmm, eight weeks for that. Should have got six months.
That's the third time that County have been caught doing the filthy act. It's an obvious tactic employed by them.
Thugs and no better.
A lot of sanctimonious dubs last year when it was McBrearty. Now one of them has been caught and charged we'll see if the "kick him out for good" crew will still be so pompous.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 6:01 pm

8 weeks which equals 4 games! That is absolutely ridiculous. Seems a very lenient punishment to me!

Last edited by topcat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
disano
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Should have been double. Once again the law favours the dubs. If it's not this it's them practically running the gpa. Joke
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 7:30 pm

The Gaa and Dublin continue to bury their heads in the sand. A Cavan club player gets 20 weeks while a Dub gets 8. Dont anybody tell me thats paranoia. Its blatant favouritism.

I bet any money this thread gets a mention on res Dubs.

Ps Hello PK from that site. We're keeping a close eye on you down here.Wink
Back to top Go down
B'side blues
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Lads the shock here is not the length of the ban. Its the fact that there is a ban at all. We should be glad it wasnt brushed under the carpet like last year. Bet Luis Suarez is raging he doesnt play for Dublin  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 am

B'side blues wrote:
Lads the shock here is not the length of the ban. Its the fact that there is a ban at all. We should be glad it wasnt brushed under the carpet like last year. Bet Luis Suarez is raging he doesnt play for Dublin  Wink 

To be fair, it wasn't swept under the carpet. McBrearty refused to be involved in any investigation and to offer any evidence.

I agree that 8 weeks is too short, absolutely. I cannot agree that it's a tactic, passed down by management and coaching staff to players. Fellas have to take individual responsibility for that type of action.
Back to top Go down
B'side blues
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 am

I agree.Cant see it been a tactic its hardly in the teamtalk before a match. Do you think Mcbrearty didnt bring it any further under recommendation of GPA?And as it was a student bitten this time they wouldnt have had an involvement with this guy? Correct me if wrong but I dont think he's an inter county footballer.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 am

Tactic or no tactic Ogie, that's three times in as many years. I think that suggests it's more than a coincidence.

Also the media reaction is quite interesting. Very little about and if there was it was glossed over.

Let me put this out there, if Kildare, Tyrone or Kerry had three biting incidents in three years I bet any money you like every papers GAA columnist would be all over it like a rash. Brolly brought the good name of Cavanagh for a tackle last year into disrepute, said Kildare fans should be ashamed for the audacity of supporting a team with Johnston in it, yet holds Dublin up as the bastions of all good in the GAA. Not a word from Joe yet.

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 2:18 am

There's a sort of omerta amongst players generally, and this applies at club level too. It's why you will often get blatant off-the-ball incidents in club games going unmentioned in a local paper for example. Because legal proceedings are a major possibility and without video evidence, you're in hot water, because you won't get even the victim to say it happened - "bit of handbags". That's nine times out of 10. And that's what McBrearty felt. From what I can gather, Donegal's mentors really wanted to push it but when McBrearty didn't, there was nothing they could do.

Be interesting to hear if Joe has anything to say alright.

I'd be very confident Jim Gavin isn't saying in training - 'go out and bite your opponent'.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 am

I don't know if I would associate biting and player silence with omerta. A certain amount of take it, give it and get on with it to a certain extent yes, but biting & spiting is the lowest of the low.

I still don't understand how you can get a body part near an opposing players mouth in football (unless a person is lying on top of you), I can see how it happens in rugby. Or for that matter how the biter isn't panned out on the floor with teeth missing. Hmm too old school
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 3:51 am

So thats why the GAA have made gumshields mandatory...
There was a biting incident at a Club Match in Kildare last Year if I re call, and the guilty Player only got 8 Weeks also.. far to little punishment imo.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 am

+1 stonecold
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 5:24 am

agree entirely with that stonecold; it can't be an accident. And spitting drove me mad, though obviously a shot in the jaw or butt of the hurl in the jewels hurts a lot more and can do more damage.

Ultimately, there's no comparison between the spit and the bite. The former is just scumbag stuff but the latter is scumbag stuff and dangerous. There's no grey area with it.

Maybe McBrearty didn't want to put himself out there, knowing the profile that was involved. But he hadn't any problem with publicity before that. Different kind I guess. Anyway, he did the game a disservice and it was good to see Duffy being so strong on it. When I read that, I thought Whelan would get three months minimum, didn't think six would be outlandish.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 5:54 am

Lads McBrearty has big connections in Dublin. Didnt his uncle play with Dublin? Might be reason enough to let it go.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Didn't we have our own incident with a Kildare player allegedly biting an Offaly player a few years back? I remember fans in the ground near the tussle going mental when it happened but I didnt see it clearly and am not sure if the ref reported. I have one Offaly mate who said he saw it clearly happen but he would say that anyway.
Back to top Go down
B'side blues
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 pm

The days of listening to Brolly and what that gobshite has to say are long gone. And Of course there wasnt much in the papers its Dublin based and Dublin biased. That much is obvious by the frenzy they work themselves into anytime the jackeens get within a smell of anything.
I wonder what that know all clown Roy Curtis had to say on it.

Rant Over!!
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 pm

B'side blues wrote:
The days of listening to Brolly and what that gobshite has to say are long gone. And Of course there wasnt much in the papers its Dublin based and Dublin biased. That much is obvious by the frenzy they work themselves into anytime the jackeens get within a smell of anything.
I wonder what that know all clown Roy Curtis had to say on it.

Rant Over!!

Sunday worlld apart, out of all the main GAA writers in the national newspapers, very few are actually from Dublin. Most in fact are from Meath strangely enough, which is probably the reason why they tend to focus a lot on dublin. Colm Keys in particular seems to have an unhealthy obsession.

Anyway, it always irks me when i see this ridiculous agaenda that the journalists dont cover these stories because they are all from dublin. Its a load of bullshit.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Its obvious that these Journalists have a stake in what they put in the papers. If they could put whatever they wanted in I'm sure they would have had more on this, but if they want to attend press conferences with all-ireland champions, or want to to interviews with the games top players. They need to mind their house and need to sell their work and Dublin is where its at, as far as the money is concerned. If your wages relied on it you might just let it slide too.
Back to top Go down
B'side blues
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Never said they were from Dublin I said biased and based in Dublin. A certain red top paper changed to a blue top the week of All-Ireland final and carried 90 per cent Dublin stories.
Its things like that that irks me.
Anyway like I said Rant Over!!! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 1:19 am

Sad state of affairs when the GAA are coming out in the media and saying what a great fella Whelan is for taking his punishment on the chin. Duffy is even throwing plaudits out to the Dublin County board for not appealing it. They stop short of rolling out the red carpet and cracking open a bottle of bubbly for Whelan and Dublin GAA just because they are not appealing a lenient sentence for biting another player. Even calls Whelan out for being "manly" for accepting his punishment. Seriously?????.....Back page of on one of the rags today.

FFS.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 1:32 am

Volume of coverage on any one county will depend on where the particular paper has its volume of sales. So things like the Herald, Sun, etc cover Dublin while Leader, Nationalist cover Kildare & Liffey C covers North Kildare, Kildare Hurling & Lucan Sars.

I was on Portlaoise the day an Oy player got teeth marks and as you all know I'm a BIFFO.

The incident involved that Oy player, acting the maggot. He wrestled a Ke player to the ground and had him in a headlock with the Ke player face down on the ground and the other players arm wrapped around his mouth & nose. It was obvious that the Ke player had difficulty breathing so he may have opened his mouth. Now as he was wearing a gum-shield he could not do much damage.
The Ke lad is no angel but the young Biffo was totally out of order a few times that day, trying to act the hard man when he should have been trying to play football. I do not believe the Ke player did anything wrong and he in fact was very incorrectly given a yellow card as the ref opted out by giving both yellow when BIFFO deserved red.

I would not be slow to point a finger if a Ke player were in the wrong especially against my own but fair is fair.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 1:55 am

The Dublin County Board are to propose a motion to congress to make muzzles compulsory for all inter county footballers.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 am

Sam1928 wrote:
Sad state of affairs when the GAA are coming out in the media and saying what a great fella Whelan is for taking his punishment on the chin. Duffy is even throwing plaudits out to the Dublin County board for not appealing it. They stop short of rolling out the red carpet and cracking open a bottle of bubbly for Whelan and Dublin GAA just because they are not appealing a lenient sentence for biting another player. Even calls Whelan out for being "manly" for accepting his punishment. Seriously?????.....Back page of on one of the rags today.

FFS.

Any link to Duffy's comments on it?
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 2:43 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Sam1928 wrote:

FFS.

Any link to Duffy's comments on it?

Cant find it online but it was on the back page of The Star and carried into the inside pages
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 2:53 am

kelf wrote:
Volume of coverage on any one county will depend on where the particular paper has its volume of sales.  So things like the Herald, Sun, etc cover Dublin while Leader, Nationalist cover Kildare & Liffey C covers North Kildare, Kildare Hurling & Lucan Sars.

I was on Portlaoise the day an Oy player got teeth marks and as you all know I'm a BIFFO.

The incident involved that Oy player, acting  the maggot. He wrestled a Ke player to the ground and had him in a headlock  with the Ke player face down on the ground and the other players arm wrapped around his mouth & nose. It was obvious that the Ke player had difficulty breathing so he may have opened his mouth. Now as he was wearing a gum-shield he could not do much damage.
The Ke lad is no angel  but the young Biffo was totally out of order a few times that day, trying to act the hard man when he should have been trying to play football.  I do not believe the Ke player did anything wrong and he in fact was very incorrectly given a yellow card as the ref opted out by giving both yellow when BIFFO deserved red.

I would not be slow to point a finger if a Ke player were in the wrong especially against my own but fair is fair.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU   Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dub player banned for 8 weeks for incident V's DCU
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next