Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare Stats

Go down 
+7
LillieLad
Ohtoohtobe
Cilldara_2000
micky murphy
SeamusMurphy
flourman
Sam1928
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 11:33 pm

Just a selection of some stats that I have been recording since Padraig Nolan's time 2002 to now..no agenda, just think some people might be interested.

League+Champ - Last 5 years '10-'14

Win %

in Newbridge 63%  
12wins/19games
Avg. score 17 v 15

all Away 52%
25wins/48games
Avg. score 16 v 15

in Croke Park 40%
8wins/20games
Avg. score 17 v 18

Record in All-Ireland series - Last 7 years

Pld. 6  Won 1   Lost 5

Record in Leinster Champ - Last 10 years

Pld. 20 Won 10 Lost 10

Record in Qualifiers - Last 5 years

Pld. 16  Won 13  Lost 2  Drew 1

Manager Win % - All games (LGE/CHP/OBY)

Nolan 54%  (39 games)
Crofton 38% (26 games)
McGeeney 60% (100 games)
Ryan 58% (24 games)

Manager Win % - Championship Only

Nolan 40%
Crofton 33%
McGeeney 64%
Ryan 60%

Manager Win % - League Only

Nolan 55%
Crofton 40%
McGeeney 48%
Ryan 22%

NOLAN
2003 Div1 (relegated) - Leinster Final - OByrne Winners
2004 Div2 (promotion)
2005 Div1

CROFTON
2006 Div1
2007 Div1 Semi-Final

MCGEENEY

2008 Div1 (relegated) - AI Q/F
2009 Div2 - Leinster Final - AI Q/F
2010 Div2 - AI S/F
2011 Div2 - AI Q/F - OByrne Winners
2012 Div2 Winners - AI Q/F
2013 Div1 - OByrne Winners

RYAN
2014 Div1 (relegated) - OByrne Winners

Last edited by Sam1928 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:59 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 12:59 am

Jaysus we are racking up some average scores : In Croke 17-18 would normally be enough to win most games .. yet still no All Ireland Smile

I'll get my coat
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 1:58 am

Fair play Sam, interesting..
Just wondering re: Stats, for our first Two League Matches, am I right in saying we have had very few Wides ?, which is all very well, but We havnt had a huge Score return either.. My point being that We are obviously not creating that many Scoring chances.. and what happens the Day We do Kick our fair share of Wides ?.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 3:32 am

Very interesting stats there, especially the manager % win, will be interesting to see this at the end of this year, our scoring is mad 17-18pts average - rekon that must be up there in the top 5
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 3:56 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Just wondering re: Stats, for our first Two League Matches, am I right in saying we have had very few Wides ?, which is all very well, but We havnt had a huge Score return either.. My point being that We are obviously not creating that many Scoring chances.. and what happens the Day We do Kick our fair share of Wides ?.

When you're talking about in game stats, it's pretty pointless taking any stat by itself, as you allude to here.

When keeping stats, I would typically try to gain a decent picture of game by looking at how we used the possession we gained (IE score, turned over, wide, dropped short etc), and how we gained that possession in the first place (midfield ratio and turnovers for/against). The end result being that you want to "lose" possession by scoring and gain it again on the following kick out. Having no wides might look great but you could have a lot of dropped shots into a defender or blocked shots, or, worse again, not even work it up the field to have an attempt at a score, and all the while the opposition might be scoring for fun and cleaning up on the kickouts.

And what I also find interesting is looking at how many times we get passed the opposition's 45 v total attempts at scores v number of scores.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 4:00 am

Just added various achievements and performance levels for each year for each manager.

2 Leinster final appearances since 2003 is pretty shocking for a county like ourselves that expects to be top 8 in the country.
Back to top Go down

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 7:35 am

McGeeney's stats aren't too shabby and won't been seen again for quite some time.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 am

Cilldara_2000 wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:

When you're talking about in game stats, it's pretty pointless taking any stat by itself, as you allude to here.

When keeping stats, I would typically try to gain a decent picture of game by looking at how we used the possession we gained (IE score, turned over, wide, dropped short etc), and how we gained that possession in the first place (midfield ratio and turnovers for/against). The end result being that you want to "lose" possession by scoring and gain it again on the following kick out. Having no wides might look great but you could have a lot of dropped shots into a defender or blocked shots, or, worse again, not even work it up the field to have an attempt at a score, and all the while the opposition might be scoring for fun and cleaning up on the kickouts.

And what I also find interesting is looking at how many times we get passed the opposition's 45 v total attempts at scores v number of scores.

Yeah interesting point something similar struck me during the Meath game. The commentator kept mentioning we had no wides without saying we dropping three balls into the keeper's hands. Like it was still good shooting but most of the time dropping it short is far worse than kicking a wide because of the counter-attack.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 9:50 am

Sam1928 wrote:
Just added various achievements and performance levels for each year for each manager.

2 Leinster final appearances since 2003 is pretty shocking for a county like ourselves that expects to be top 8 in the country.

It surely is. IIRC, these are the teams that have eliminated us from Leinster before the final:
2004: Wexford
2005: Laois
2006: Offaly
2007: Meath
2008: Wicklow
2010: Louth
2011: Dublin
2012: Meath
2013: Dublin
2014: Meath
Dublin have dominated this era in Leinster but most of the time we haven't even got through to play them.
This at a time when I think most people would agree that the general standard in Leinster is far below what it was in the 90s.
We're just not as good as some people like to think we are.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:

We're just not as good as some people like to think we are.

Thats a very fair point and a question that needs answering..just how good are we?...perception is one thing and reality as we know with Kildare tends to be a lot different.

Anyway I decided to do a power ranking analysis of the performances of counties in the All-Ireland series over the last 10 years (2005-2014) and the last 5 (2010-2014)
Each team is given a score depending on which round of the qualifiers they were knocked out and winners of the final get an extra point..eg.
Rnd 1 - 1 pt...Rnd 2 - 2pts etc etc up to  AI Final - 7pts..Winner - 8pts

Results not hugely surprising...

Top ranked teams based on Championship performances (Last 10 years)

1.  Kerry 69
2.  Dublin 61
    Cork 61
4.  Mayo 51
5.  Tyrone 50
6.  Donegal 46
7.  Kildare 40
    Meath 40
9.   Galway 36
10. Monaghan 34
    Armagh 34
    Laois 34

Top ranked teams based on Championship performances (Last 5 years)

1.  Dublin 34
2.  Kerry 31
3.  Cork 29
4.  Mayo 27
    Donegal 27
6.  Kildare 23
7.  Tyrone 21
8.  Meath 20
    Down 20
10.  Monaghan 17

For the record the worst 5 counties over the last 5 years are....

28. Offaly
29. Wicklow
30. Westmeath
31. Fermanagh
32. Carlow

4 of them are Leinster teams
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 11:17 pm

Jaysus thats not to bad, its a pity we never won anything of note in the last few years, we we're very unlucky with the Dermot, Daryl and Hughie Lynch getting injured at times and then refereeing decisions fecking us up big time.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 11:28 pm

Agreed that we were unlucky with decisions against us in the Down semi and Donegal quarter, Dublin game (Brogan free) but the thing is the best teams will always overcome the bad decisions eventually. We fell short too many times.

Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 pm

Sam1928, I realize I am asking a lot and fantastic work on this so far by the way but if you were to do the same in terms of the Leinster championship over the last 10 years, where we would rank amongst Leinster counties, my guess would be somewhere between 4-6. I would imagine Dublin and Meath obviously and possibly Wexford being ahead of us!!
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 1:16 am

Whats worse lads is that in 2012 we were going fairly well for the final 5 rounds of the league. Dealt with Offaly fairly clinically. Then came the first major disaster of the geezer era (bar maybe the wicklow one 08, when we were caught on the hop by meath. I am convinced had we beaten them we would have beaten dublin. Was definitely within our grasp as dublin didn't play well at all in '12. I mark that as our last great opportunity to overturn them in recent times (post leinster final 09 obviously!!!). If ya look at that leinster final Meath played them fairly well (had them on the rack even early on in the game) up until last 10 minutes when dublin broke through, but we were a better team all round than Meath and I maintain we would have won that leinster had it have been us. Momentum into quarters and who knows what might have been ......................we're forever saying it !! Definitely not a hammering by cork as it ended that year had we have been Leinster champions.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 2:31 am

topcat wrote:
Sam1928, I realize I am asking a lot and fantastic work on this so far by the way but if you were to do the same in terms of the Leinster championship over the last 10 years, where we would rank amongst Leinster counties, my guess would be somewhere between 4-6. I would imagine Dublin and Meath obviously and possibly Wexford being ahead of us!!

ask and you shall receive....

5pts for winning leinster, 4 for reaching final, 3 semi etc....1pt for round 1 elimination.

Rankings in Leinster - Last 10 years

1 Dublin 48
2 Wexford 30
3 Meath 29
4 Kildare 25
5 Laois        25
6 Louth        20
7 Offaly        19
8 Westmeath 19
9 Carlow 17
10 Longford 14
11 Wicklow 14

Rankings in Leinster - Last 5 years

1 Dublin 23
2 Meath 19
3 Wexford 15
4 Kildare 14
5 Louth        12
6 Westmeath 9
7 Carlow 9
8 Laois        8
9 Offaly        7
10 Longford 7
11 Wicklow 7
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 2:34 am

Its bizarre and shows the quirks of the current championship system.....we can be the 6th best team in Ireland over the last 5 years when it comes to the business end of the championship thanks to the qualifiers but we are only 4th best in Leinster!!!
Back to top Go down
dontfoul
Junior C
Junior C

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 4:56 am

Cilldara_2000 wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:

Not solely Kildare but if you want some of those numbers I have them logged for Championship games on TV over the last three years over at https://dontfoul.wordpress.com/

Oh and all shots are counted not just those that score or go wide :-)

Re the ranking of teams - there's a few places that do this

GAA rankings - http://gaarankings.net/2015/02/08/national-football-league-round-2-review/ - this one is new but the approach is fairly standard when compared to other sports
GAA Board thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173179&page=11 - this one is run by one poster and has been on the go for a while
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 6:24 am

Thats just one Leinster final in last eleven tournaments. A poisonous record. Mcgeeneys record in qualifiers though is outstanding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kildare Stats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Stats    Kildare Stats  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare Stats
Page 1 of 1