Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nostalgia - the Glory days

Go down 
+5
jimmers
Rex
Ohtoohtobe
TommyKeegan
lilywhites on tour
9 posters
AuthorMessage
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

Nostalgia - the Glory days Empty
PostSubject: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 9:25 am

Bit of a small diversion. I was speaking recently to an old relative who approaches a 99th birthday! Leixlip woman, who has an unbelievable memory of our glory years, of going to games as a young child and then into her teens in the 30's. She actually has some old team photographs I must scan and upload, but the stories of actually being there when we were a force are unbelievable! Hype existed back then too so I'm told!!
It prompted me to go searching for footage and I found some great videos on youtube from British Pathé. Some great stuff lads. Bygod these were tough men! I'd love to know who yer man was pushing the Kildare younglad at the start!!

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 10:03 am

The butt of the fag out the mouth. It doesn't take much lip reading to see it's a "get on to fuck"! Surprised to see numbers on the jerseys too. Anyone know what colour socks we used to wear and when and why that changed?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Not sure if it was happening in this era but I know in the past players often wore socks with club colours while playing inter-county.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 7:17 pm

lilywhites on tour wrote:
Hype existed back then too so I'm told!!

We could back it up though.
It really hits home when you think that nearly two generations of Kildare people have never seen an All Ireland victory. Near 90 years for a County with a mad football loving tradition is scandalous. The sad thing is we are as far away as ever.

It's a sobering thought that there is a good chance I may go to the grave having never seen an All Ireland.

I also want to see the return of teams wearing overcoats and hats onto the pitch. Looks tough as f*ck and not thetype of lad you would mess with.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 am

Rex wrote:
lilywhites on tour wrote:
Hype existed back then too so I'm told!!

We could back it up though.
It really hits home when you think that nearly two generations of Kildare people have never seen an All Ireland victory. Near 90 years for a County with a mad football loving tradition is scandalous. The sad thing is we are as far away as ever.

It's a sobering thought that there is a good chance I may go to the grave having never seen an All Ireland.

I also want to see the return of teams wearing overcoats and hats onto the pitch. Looks tough as f*ck and not thetype of lad you would mess with.

We certainly did REX. As that elderly relative said when Kildare were playing in those days, we knew we were possible All Ireland Contenders year in year out. The expectation was in KE then to be at the business end. Leinster was a minimum target. She also said how playing dublin was always the fiercest battle and we never feared them. When we bet dublin, passing through Lucan on the way out from croke park in the truck was always a special moment.

How Times have changed!!

Like yourself I hope that at least one time in my life we experience an All Ireland win. Replicate those days of old!!!
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 6:09 am

For the night that's in it - All Stars 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Euyp2U1jw4&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Found this today..Kildare v Kerry 98 post match analysis

The first 15 seconds...will we ever see the likes again?

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Goosebumps.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 8:00 am

That was something else Sam. Grown men and women wept that day. Oh to win just once...........................................
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Oh the memories..... I went onto the pitch straight after the final whistle. I remember one might scrum in front of the Cusack Stand where Micko was and to be honest it was scary...... Thankfully nobody was hurt..... Some lovely points kicked on the day.
Back to top Go down
lollypop
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 2:19 am

And if i remember correctly a good few pints were drank that night as well , left work at lunch time on the monday and headed for the burrow . Ryan , lacey and rainbow arrived in with the cup , proper session . Will live long in the memory
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgia - the Glory days   Nostalgia - the Glory days Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nostalgia - the Glory days
Page 1 of 1