Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+74
Sorrynotsorry
totalgaa
Curraghplains
tomoneillandhissisteranne
bite the pillow
Pkmie
DONTPULLOUT
Cassanata
moatesports
lillyboy
Flamingo
Onechance
Sam1928
Hang sangich
Fear An Geata
Bulldog
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
bk 1
Lillywhite88
centreback
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
intheback
standhimup
bloodsub
parcel
sarsno1
Hurlerbehindtheditch
OutTheGap
topcat
hawker
Horsebox
LillieLad
learmus
steviegenius
lomond
All_right_in_white
White Bridge
whiteknight
bigball
Loads of Pints
Botch
jim
Lily8
if_in_doubt
murof
Caprea
kelf
shortgrass
flourman
lilywhites on tour
jj
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
Xavi
Gaa1928
micky murphy
Shergar
Cilldara_2000
Highball
TommyKeegan
kickingking
Ogie
lilysavage
Taibi
MD
jimmers
Dinny Breen
reichenhall
kildaregaa365
SeamusMurphy
Kildare98
rob11
Rex
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 10:36 pm

That the sport is that elitist. I'd no problem with the GPA ideal at the beginning as even players who chose to put in serious time and effort to a clearly defined amateur game deserve gear, meals, mileage to an acceptable standard. And fair play to them for getting that. But they are a major part now of an organisation that is ripping the heart from the sport between ignoring clubs, Sky deals, a calendar that doesn't work and so on. Most clubs are struggling badly for finance yet with the latest deal the government is handing over €6.9m across three years to the GPA, an elitist and well-run group that continually refer to a brand while representing just 0.5 per cent of all players. This is on the back of the €6.2m per annum deal the GPA struck with the GAA last year, as well as the 15 per cent of the GAA's commercial revenue they'll now get. Of course we don't know where it goes as their accounts from what I can see are integrated into the very broad GAA ones. That's over €9m a year for the record going to a fraction of the association while the majority are struggling but ignored yet still expected to put their hands in their pockets to fund county teams still more. So thanks to the GAA, a fan is funding the county game through their tax, through their GAA purchases and through fundraisers. That's my issue and I feel it's a pretty big one in terms of a game that is being taken away from people.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 10:49 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
Most clubs are struggling badly for finance yet with the latest deal the government is handing over €6.9m across three years to the GPA, an elitist and well-run group that continually refer to a brand while representing just 0.5 per cent of all players.

This is the crux of the problem, €6.9m to look after 900 footballers is absolutely crazy. It's just another quango much like the CPA which is nothing more than a token gesture to quieten down the clubs for another while.

Last edited by Taibi on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
Lily8 wrote:
I see tonight that there are several reports on Twitter that Dermot Earley is set to be announced as new CEO of the GPA tomorrow. A great appointment if true.

Is this a full time position, world Dermot be resigning from the army.

Not a chance of that.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 12:04 am

you'd imagine after 20 years service he could retire from the army on full pension
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 12:20 am

Just looking at the role there on the GPA website and it mentions an attractive remuneration package.

Not so sure if one can take a 'paid' role and still serve in the army.

I think an officer can retire from the army on pension after 12 years service.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 1:05 am

I'm sure you're right 1928 , just depends on his ambitions.. he is fairly high up in the defence forces i believe.. anyway best of luck to him.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 1:30 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
I'm sure you're right 1928 , just depends on his ambitions.. he is fairly high up in the defence forces i believe.. anyway best of luck to him.

+1
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 2:20 am

Heard he was taken a career break from the army.. no doubt he'll do a great job.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 3:47 am

Well put and backed up Tommy. I have my doubts about the GPA in recent times. Good at the beginning but a total quango now imo. I am open to changing my mind but I doubt it will change
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 5:47 am

Whats your issues with the GPA Botch?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Are we not better of with a GPA ?.. What's the alternative ?.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 6:57 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
That the sport is that elitist. I'd no problem with the GPA ideal at the beginning as even players who chose to put in serious time and effort to a clearly defined amateur game deserve gear, meals, mileage to an acceptable standard. And fair play to them for getting that. But they are a major part now of an organisation that is ripping the heart from the sport between ignoring clubs, Sky deals, a calendar that doesn't work and so on. Most clubs are struggling badly for finance yet with the latest deal the government is handing over €6.9m across three years to the GPA, an elitist and well-run group that continually refer to a brand while representing just 0.5 per cent of all players. This is on the back of the €6.2m per annum deal the GPA struck with the GAA last year, as well as the 15 per cent of the GAA's commercial revenue they'll now get. Of course we don't know where it goes as their accounts from what I can see are integrated into the very broad GAA ones. That's over €9m a year for the record going to a fraction of the association while the majority are struggling but ignored yet still expected to put their hands in their pockets to fund county teams still more. So thanks to the GAA, a fan is funding the county game through their tax, through their GAA purchases and through fundraisers. That's my issue and I feel it's a pretty big one in terms of a game that is being taken away from people.

So you've no problem with the GPA, your problem is with the GAA for giving them money and your problem is the government giving them money. The GPA is there to get a better deal for inter county players they have been very clear on that from day 1. They fight hard to get that best deal and I say more luck to them. As you rightly point out some clubs are struggling and hopefully the CPA will fight for there cause. But I don't get all this GPA bashing because they get the best deal they can fir there members.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 8:22 pm

My view would be what intercounty players generate in income for the association which goes into grassroots is far larger than what they take out.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Taibi wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
Most clubs are struggling badly for finance yet with the latest deal the government is handing over €6.9m across three years to the GPA, an elitist and well-run group that continually refer to a brand while representing just 0.5 per cent of all players.

This is the crux of the problem, €6.9m to look after 900 footballers is absolutely crazy. It's just another quango much like the CPA which is nothing more than a token gesture to quieten down the clubs for another while.

You're forgetting hurlers
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 9:31 pm

As I said . I don't have a problem with it. Its what it has become. They waste a lot of their money on providing courses and assistance for players who have no interest in these courses. Just do them as they are free. No doubt the GPA employees are WELL paid. Another quango??
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm

They are there to get a better deal but it's reached the point of exploitation. I know what intercounty players give and fair play to them and they deserve much of it. But when you sign up to an amateur sport there should be a limit to your wants and needs as it's your choice and you knew what you were getting into. Well over €9m a year is grotesque within an organisation that talks about being community based and from the bottom up. And btw, you say my problem is with the GAA not the GPA - they are the same thing since the GPA took more money over principle and moved in becoming just another department. Also said here they make the majority of the money for the association - well how far do you want to go back, did in turn their club and coaches and volunteers not make them therefore helping make the money? Should they get something back rather than being asked for fork out money as well as time to help their county, their club, pay tax towards these few players...

The GAA/GPA needs to decide what it is and let us all know because right now they talk out of one side of their mouths about the club being the building block, while out of the other they sign cheques just for the 0.5 per cent. I've heard very few complaints from players about what they are getting after all the GPA work over the last decade and a half, so why do they need this massive increase in cash that we've absolutely no idea where it goes because there aren't clear accounts?
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
They are there to get a better deal but it's reached the point of exploitation. I know what intercounty players give and fair play to them and they deserve much of it. But when you sign up to an amateur sport there should be a limit to your wants and needs as it's your choice and you knew what you were getting into. Well over €9m a year is grotesque within an organisation that talks about being community based and from the bottom up. And btw, you say my problem is with the GAA not the GPA - they are the same thing since the GPA took more money over principle and moved in becoming just another department. Also said here they make the majority of the money for the association - well how far do you want to go back, did in turn their club and coaches and volunteers not make them therefore helping make the money? Should they get something back rather than being asked for fork out money as well as time to help their county, their club, pay tax towards these few players...

The GAA/GPA needs to decide what it is and let us all know because right now they talk out of one side of their mouths about the club being the building block, while out of the other they sign cheques just for the 0.5 per cent. I've heard very few complaints from players about what they are getting after all the GPA work over the last decade and a half, so why do they need this massive increase in cash that we've absolutely no idea where it goes because there aren't clear accounts?

The point of exploitation? You think the players are exploiting the GAA by taking about 10% out of the organisation in revenue of what the county game raises?

What would be fair and not exploitative?
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Not the players, the GPA - they achieved their original goal so what's next. They are very unclear on what they are or where they are heading while hoovering money that is badly needed elsewhere while not showing what they use if for. That in an amateur sport that has given up on 99.5 per cent of its players is a little worrying no?
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 11:09 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
Not the players, the GPA - they achieved their original goal so what's next. They are very unclear on what they are or where they are heading while hoovering money that is badly needed elsewhere while not showing what they use if for. That in an amateur sport that has given up on 99.5 per cent of its players is a little worrying no?

Is there a need to distinguish between the players and the GPA? I don't see any need to be honest but perhaps it is important to differentiate?
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 11:14 pm

There is when there's over €9m a year going into the GPA who don't produce accounts while not saying what their new goals are given their previous goals from their creation have long been met. To hang all that on players who naturally sign up given there are a few benefits is unfair.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 11:35 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
There is when there's over €9m a year going into the GPA who don't produce accounts while not saying what their new goals are given their previous goals from their creation have long been met. To hang all that on players who naturally sign up given there are a few benefits is unfair.

This isn't the argument I intended to have but they do a little more than sign up, no? They vote and each county team has a rep. Do those reps not effectively run the GPA? Fair enough there is a management structure but the GPA wouldn't much sense if the current player body didn't have a huge say in their ambitions and policies including how they spend their money.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 1:56 am

I have to disagree on one point..

The original goal for the GPA when O'Neill was its first "spokesman" was professionalism, ie pay for play........

Now that was rowed back a bit but Dermot was clear in his interview: he will push for just that if his consultations with his members show they want it....... and with the "Player Grants" they are part-way there already...
If that's the way they go well fine but I wont be contributing.......
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 2:21 am

I think that’s a sweeping generalisation to say ‘they don’t produce accounts’ do you honestly think the GAA would part with a reported 10% of their revenue without due process and ongoing governance and close monitoring of how that money is spent. Correct me if im wrong but with any application for Centralised funding, is there not a robust application process required where justification is sought for how funds are being administered? If my club makes an application for capital funding from the GAA I would imagine there are plenty of hoops to jump through….

Padraig Duffy has also said that the GPA presents its accounts to Central Council of the GAA. Have you contacted the Kildare Central Council delegate to enquire if this is the case?

As other posters have alluded to, the GPA seem to be an easy target for negative commentary. Perhaps there is an element of jealousy from many fronts on their obvious success in recent years, with two of Kildare’s greatest players in recent times very much leading the charge…
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 2:59 am

I'm not suggesting they are an easy or hard target, I've even said I agreed with their early goals and admired what they achieved. I'd like a clear statement of their new goals though given the money going their way. And say what you want about robust applications, I think it would be good for them and their perception if they published detailed accounts given the €9m-plus a year deal they just signed up to. Don't think either of those is too much to ask quite frankly as they siphon off massive chunks of cash that was previously making its way down the food chain and was badly needed for we are not sure what.

And jealously? Hardly. I think the GAA has lost sight of what it's supposed to be as hit as become just another sporting governing body interested in money rather than it's actual majority of supporters and stakeholders via the clubs. The GPA as an arm of the GAA are part of the reason why. I don't get jealous of ultra-capitalism, trust me. I despise it though, thus I'd like to see clearly what their goals are so they can try and distance themselves from such theories that are becoming harder and harder to argue with.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 3:27 am

Jaysus... Lads seem to have been reading Das Kapital between the weights sessions.

I suppose it is better than hitting the porter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next