Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+74
Sorrynotsorry
totalgaa
Curraghplains
tomoneillandhissisteranne
bite the pillow
Pkmie
DONTPULLOUT
Cassanata
moatesports
lillyboy
Flamingo
Onechance
Sam1928
Hang sangich
Fear An Geata
Bulldog
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
bk 1
Lillywhite88
centreback
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
intheback
standhimup
bloodsub
parcel
sarsno1
Hurlerbehindtheditch
OutTheGap
topcat
hawker
Horsebox
LillieLad
learmus
steviegenius
lomond
All_right_in_white
White Bridge
whiteknight
bigball
Loads of Pints
Botch
jim
Lily8
if_in_doubt
murof
Caprea
kelf
shortgrass
flourman
lilywhites on tour
jj
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
Xavi
Gaa1928
micky murphy
Shergar
Cilldara_2000
Highball
TommyKeegan
kickingking
Ogie
lilysavage
Taibi
MD
jimmers
Dinny Breen
reichenhall
kildaregaa365
SeamusMurphy
Kildare98
rob11
Rex
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Kevin Feely not getting an All Star is a global scandal on a par with Trump and the Russians.

I suspect Andy will be FOTY. Kilkenny generally excellent this season but Jesus, Keegan seriously did a number on him in final. Not only destroyed him in general play - kept him to only eight possessions, incredible - but also got forward for a sensational goal. I think it will seriously count against him but I may be wrong...

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Funny that Feely was being labelled a choker in a team of cowards and chokers on these pages just a few weeks ago.

He had a brilliant season, I've been a huge fan from the first day I saw him for Árdscoil against Knockbeg, and defended him last year when people were disappointed that he wasn't Lording it in his first season of football in four years. He was magnificent through the championship but the facts are that for these awards, your last performance carries greatest weight - applies on forums I have noticed. That, for me, is wrong - it should be the overall body of work. It was the last performance, in an outgunned Clare team against Kerry that did for Gary Brennan last year too.

Having said that, I'd have no issue at all with Tom Parsons getting one. He is incredibly mobile, always grabs a few points from play and this year, has improved his skills to such effect that it is he, more than anyone, that is putting the ball in the slot for Andy Moran - something that's been forgotten in the proper praise that MOran has gotten for his perforamnces this year. But not being lightning, there is little margin for error when it comes to getting the ball to him, particularly against clogged defences.

For me, McCarthy wouldwas the one under pressure from Feely and he moved ahead on Sunday's performance and with Parsons being excellent too, that will mean he won't make it. One of the stars of the season though and will get a nomination. Dan Flynn might too.

As for Dublin having two teams in an All-Ireland final - I just cannot agree that it would happen. I see no evidence that a second Dublin team would hockey the current Kildare team. Kerry were winning All-Ireland finals and semi-finals by much more 30-35 years ago. Dublin are doing that to most teams in Leinster but are put to the pin of their collars to beat their nearest rivals.

Splitting Dublin makes no sense at all to me - and it has nothing to do with the argument about the financial favouritism they have benefited from. That's different. Why didn't we split Kilkenny for hurling there the last 10 years? It's a kneejerk reaction. What needs to happen is for everyone to be treated fairly when it comes to funding. The problem then is for counties to use the funding as well as Dublin did - no guarantee.

Just my opinions, that carry no weight whatsoever.

Agree on Kilkenny Seamus but suddenly because he was nullified in the final, it has taken a huge chunk off of everything else so that probably rules him out of FOTY.

Last edited by Ogie on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Ah look it, tis all personal opinion. Personally I would give it to Feely - would also have given one to Brennan last year - but Parsons was brilliant this year in fairness.

I didn't even know Lee Chin wasn't nominated... incredible... Ogie I do actually think Kilkenny have a financial advantage over Tipp and Cork too in that they completely ignore football. Jesus even Waterford field a team.

Having said that, I do feel that other counties in hurling feel if they really get themselves organised, they can compete with Kilkenny – and even felt that during their dominant period. There are probably eight or nine counties at the moment who feel they can do it.

Everything - and I mean everything - is so stacked in Dubs' favour at the moment that even the Kildares and Meaths are starting to flag. The Westmeaths and Laois's - both Leinster champions in the not-too-distant past - have given up. GAA actually seems to be dead in Offaly which I can barely comprehend. Anyway, how can we possibly compete with Dubs' resources in the long term? There was a great discussion about it on Off The Ball last night and this debate is definitely picking up traction again. Watch this space etc.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Ogie wrote:
Dublin are doing that to most teams in Leinster but are put to the pin of their collars to beat their nearest rivals.

Ah Ogie, come on. They had one seriously competitive game in championship this year - ONE. Is a single competitive game for Dublin really a sustainable model for our premier competition?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Ah look it, tis all personal opinion. Personally I would give it to Feely - would also have given one to Brennan last year - but Parsons was brilliant this year in fairness.

I didn't even know Lee Chin wasn't nominated... incredible... Ogie I do actually think Kilkenny have a financial advantage over Tipp and Cork too in that they completely ignore football. Jesus even Waterford field a team.

Having said that, I do feel that other counties in hurling feel if they really get themselves organised, they can compete with Kilkenny – and even felt that during their dominant period. There are probably eight or nine counties at the moment who feel they can do it.

Everything - and I mean everything - is so stacked in Dubs' favour at the moment that even the Kildares and Meaths are starting to flag. The Westmeaths and Laois's - both Leinster champions in the not-too-distant past - have given up. GAA actually seems to be dead in Offaly which I can barely comprehend. Anyway, how can we possibly compete with Dubs' resources in the long term? There was a great discussion about it on Off The Ball last night and this debate is definitely picking up traction again. Watch this space etc.

That's a very fair point actually HG about Kilkenny - all going into one pot.

There's no doubt about it, the debate is happening and they have had all the advantages - Seán Kelly said they never expected it to work so well. They worked hard at building Dublin and they built a monster. The good thing about the debate is that you hope similar efforts will be made to help Offaly, Westmeath, Laois etc now - what I fear is, that they do not have the level of professionalism, know-how, at decision-making level within those counties to utilise it properly if it does happen.

Of course in the meantime, Dublin don't need the government / GAA special treatment anymore. But I don't see their dominance lasting. They'd be in big trouble if they were split but of course that well never happen. But I just don't think they're that far ahead of the posse. They're that far ahead of most of the country, but not ahead of the contenders. With just a modicum of luck, Mayo could have three All-Irelands in the last few years. And Kildare are more than putting it up to them underage. Of course, with the panel they have, they don't need a team of minors or U21s to come through, just one or two a year. But one or two a year would do for Kildare too and would make them very competitive (one or two hard-edged bastard athletic defenders preferably).

But I absolutely agree, it's very good the debate is happening because as you say HG, the games are on their knees in many counties.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:20 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Ogie wrote:
Dublin are doing that to most teams in Leinster but are put to the pin of their collars to beat their nearest rivals.

Ah Ogie, come on. They had one seriously competitive game in championship this year - ONE. Is a single competitive game for Dublin really a sustainable model for our premier competition?

Can't disagree too much with that, though I think Kildare asked a lot of questions and Cluxton's save from Flynn was a big moment. Carlow asked a lot of questions before Murphy's sending off. And Tyrone froze, didn't lay a hand on Dublin. So maybe I'm disagreeing a little... but true, they comfortable in final quarter of those games.

Kerry used to win All-Irelands routinely with one game - the final - and some years, with none, when they were even hammering Dublin.

But you're right, it's not ideal - they should, of course, not all be in the top tier of the premier competition but that's another day's work.

Last edited by Ogie on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Gearoid McInerny not nominated for HOTY.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:24 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Gearoid McInerny not nominated for HOTY.

Absolutely amazed Seamus - maybe they wanted to make sure a Galway man got it after the debacle of the vote for the Tipp lads being split last year and Gleeson getting it. If it were McINerney, Canning and Barron, Barron would have been in with a shout. But McInerney is my HOTY so I'd have had him over Canning but like Moran, there's a bit of sentiment involved I guess. And the winner against Tipp has overshadowed almost all else. Wouldn't begrudge him, would be pleased for him, but it'd be McInerney for me.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm wrong on Lee Chin - and have amended above - don't know how I missed it, or would have doubted my esteemed colleagues so much. He is nominated, deservedly so.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Kerry's total dominance at Minor this Year making it an unprecedented 4 in a row will no doubt bear fruit in the next few Years.. although I know there are no guarantees.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Agree with all of that Ogie.. there's no doubt though Canning would also be a popular choice.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 pm

[quote="Ogie"]
HauntedGraffiti wrote:
But one or two a year would do for Kildare too and would make them very competitive (one or two hard-edged bastard athletic defenders preferably).

Our mission in life over next while: find those defenders. Jesus watching the Keegan, Boyles, Durcans, Barretts this year would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. The search is on!
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Ogie wrote:
I'm wrong on Lee Chin - and have amended above - don't know how I missed it, or would have doubted my esteemed colleagues so much. He is nominated, deservedly so.

Phew! Would have been criminal oversight. I was in a trance watching him against Kilkenny... Talk about a true warrior.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Ogie wrote:
Funny that Feely was being labelled a choker in a team of cowards and chokers on these pages just a few weeks ago.

He had a brilliant season, I've been a huge fan from the first day I saw him for Árdscoil against Knockbeg, and defended him last year when people were disappointed that he wasn't Lording it in his first season of football in four years. He was magnificent through the championship but the facts are that for these awards, your last performance carries greatest weight - applies on forums I have noticed. That, for me, is wrong - it should be the overall body of work. It was the last performance, in an outgunned Clare team against Kerry that did for Gary Brennan last year too.

Having said that, I'd have no issue at all with Tom Parsons getting one. He is incredibly mobile, always grabs a few points from play and this year, has improved his skills to such effect that it is he, more than anyone, that is putting the ball in the slot for Andy Moran - something that's been forgotten in the proper praise that MOran has gotten for his perforamnces this year. But not being lightning, there is little margin for error when it comes to getting the ball to him, particularly against clogged defences.

For me, McCarthy wouldwas the one under pressure from Feely and he moved ahead on Sunday's performance and with Parsons being excellent too, that will mean he won't make it. One of the stars of the season though and will get a nomination. Dan Flynn might too.

As for Dublin having two teams in an All-Ireland final - I just cannot agree that it would happen. I see no evidence that a second Dublin team would hockey the current Kildare team. Kerry were winning All-Ireland finals and semi-finals by much more 30-35 years ago. Dublin are doing that to most teams in Leinster but are put to the pin of their collars to beat their nearest rivals.

Splitting Dublin makes no sense at all to me - and it has nothing to do with the argument about the financial favouritism they have benefited from. That's different. Why didn't we split Kilkenny for hurling there the last 10 years? It's a kneejerk reaction. What needs to happen is for everyone to be treated fairly when it comes to funding. The problem then is for counties to use the funding as well as Dublin did - no guarantee.

Agree on Kilkenny Seamus but suddenly because he was nullified in the final, it has taken a huge chunk off of everything else so that probably rules him out of FOTY.

Who is criticising Feely? I'm certainly not. I believe he should get a nomination. We are debating whether he's in the top 2 midfielders this year. Saying he's somewhere around 3rd or 4th isn't exactly lambasting the lad who was clearly Kildare's player of the year and is a rare talent.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Yeah, in fairness, whenever a side loses a big championship game in any county, people absolutely flay team, management, GAA, CIA, everyone in immediate aftermath. I'm as guilty as anyone else. Wouldn't pay it too much heed to be honest, just lads blowing off steam.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Jack Mac will be out for a while.. cruciate.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Nightmare All Stars

Brian Kelly (kickout over own end line)

Entire Westmeath full back line

Shane Enright (Andy Moran)
Donie Vaughan
Derry lad who marked Clifford

Cork midfield v Waterford

Cork forwards v Tipp (one point in first half)

Manager: Tom Cribben

Selectors: Rory Gallagher, Peadar Healy

Footballer of the Year: Ciaran Brannigan
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 am

Very good HG.. I'd say you'd be some company over a few stouts. drunken
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 1:15 am

kildaregaa365 wrote:
Ogie wrote:

Who is criticising Feely?  I'm certainly not. I believe he should get a nomination. We are debating whether he's in the top 2 midfielders this year. Saying he's somewhere around 3rd or 4th isn't exactly lambasting the lad who was clearly Kildare's player of the year and is a rare talent.

I'd say go back to the evening of and week after the Armagh game K365. Plenty were critical, here and elsewhere. Words like choke and cowards used about him and his teammates - the choke referencing KF's missed free. They're there, I know Tommy stands by their use for his part anyway... I didn't say you lambasted him, it is clear you were being very complimentary. In fact, reading my message again in confusion, I think I've agreed with what all you said before and in reply to me. He'd probably be third after an excellent season. I was just remarking on how he was being pushed so hard now for an All Star a few weeks after being labelled a choker on the same forum, that's all!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 1:16 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Yeah, in fairness, whenever a side loses a big championship game in any county, people absolutely flay team, management, GAA, CIA, everyone in immediate aftermath. I'm as guilty as anyone else. Wouldn't pay it too much heed to be honest, just lads blowing off steam.

I suffer I guess from not thinking like that... but I understand the emotion of it. I was just being glib. It irritates people. I understand that.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 1:17 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Ogie wrote:

Phew! Would have been criminal oversight. I was in a trance watching him against Kilkenny... Talk about a true warrior.

That's the word alright HG.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Kerry's total dominance at Minor this Year making it an unprecedented 4 in a row will no doubt bear fruit in the next few Years.. although I know there are no guarantees.

No but it's a good start! They're like us, looking for a few proper athletic defenders.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 1:19 am

Well, I'll say it again - if you think Feely's a choker, then you really must be disgusted by Cillian O'Connor.

I think it's an absolutely absurd claim personally, doesn't stack up one iota.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 4:41 am

Just looking at the Sunday Game Team.. no Keegan or Kilkenny.. beggars belief.
The AI Final really seems to mean all for these selections.. I mean was McCarthy really in the running for poty prior to the AI final  ?.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 4:59 am

Seamus personally I wouldn't have Kikenny have to say. However, Keegan omission in my opinion renders the selection a farce, not worth taking seriously. And in fairness it was Joe Brolly of all people who made that point.

Anyway... I've found Darragh O'Se's column to be a bit hit and miss this summer, but I think this is a really good piece. Mayo may not have got over the line, but I think - or certainly would hope - most GAA supporters would acknowledge they are a truly great team.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-ó-sé-dublin-wouldn-t-be-dublin-without-mayo-1.3226974?mode=amp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 20 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 20 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next