Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Super 8 's

Go down 
+59
shoeshine
Jimmy winning matches
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Lillybloom
16andPregnant
ixus
kickingking
if_in_doubt
white boy
johnsmyth
Taibi
lillyboy
Bángoléir
kelf
White Bridge
OutTheGap
TheBigDog#
Ogie
Dinny Breen
jj
Kildaremad
Gaa1928
intheback
learmus
Big Full Back
Shergar
kildaregaa365
bite the pillow
Liffey Likes
KILL BILL
lilysavage
TommyKeegan
micky murphy
Cranky
topcat
moatesports
Kicking bird
MD
Sam1928
Goff28
murof
Highball
FearBan
flourman
Fear An Geata
hawker
inexile
Flamingo
bloodsub
All down the line
SeamusMurphy
Cilldara_2000
steviegenius
Kildare98
LillieLad
jimmers
sarsno1
Xavi
Rex
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

The Super 8 's - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 am

i see this forum is getting like the dail all on hollidays and time to slag each other off before season is up and running again
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 am

One year is pointless. Doubt CON would accept that. We need a man that will be here for at least 3 to be able to integrate the u20's as best possible. That won't happen in one year.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 9:21 am

Bit surprised to see the less than lukewarm reaction on the forum to Cian O'Neill staying on. I think we showed definite progress in the championship this year. Granted we lost the 3 super 8 games but the performances were good and we're not far away from these teams. If we can improve in certain areas (especially defensively) there is every chance we can start turning these losses into wins.

A lot of players performances improved this year under the current setup. I thought Peter Kelly, Mick O'Grady, Kevin Flynn, Paul Cribbin, Dan Flynn and Neil Flynn all had a good season.

There's no guarantee a new manager will improve our results. It can work the other way as well. I'd be happy to give Cian another term to see if he can take us to the next level.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am

Would you be happy to give Cian another 3 Years so Johnny  ?.
What do others think ?.
Would the Players be happy with that I wonder ?.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Bit surprised to see the less than lukewarm reaction on the forum to Cian O'Neill staying on. I think we showed definite progress in the championship this year. Granted we lost the 3 super 8 games but the performances were good and we're not far away from these teams. If we can improve in certain areas (especially defensively) there is every chance we can start turning these losses into wins.n

A lot of players performances improved this year under the current setup. I thought Peter Kelly, Mick O'Grady, Kevin Flynn, Paul Cribbin, Dan Flynn and Neil Flynn all had a good season.

There's no guarantee a new manager will improve our results. It can work the other way as well. I'd be happy to give Cian another term to see if he can take us to the next level.

'Improve defensively'
How long have we been asking for that under CON? Can he actually deliver it?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Davy Burke is a "defensive Coach", his involvement in some capacity would be a plus.. especially bringing trough the u20s.
Back to top Go down
Lillybloom
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 11:23 pm

I wouldnt be happy for him to get another year never mind three whats the point in that ?? A year wont make a difference from what we know now
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 1:31 am

I would be of the opinion that you never change something unless it is better. Unless we have a serious alternative then we should leave as is.

He said he would talk to the players so if they have beef with him he won't hang around.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 am

I think people here are being slightly harsh on CON. He brought us from Div.3 to Div. 1 and has managed to turn around a pretty poor year football wise. In the Super 8´s, while we did not win matches, something came together for the team and hopefully this will continue. The groundwork he put in is starting to come together so I would give him another chance. Also, from what I hear, the players are very fond of him and speak well of him. He represented our county brilliantly at the end of June in front of the whole country and I am not sure things would have turned out so well had there been another person talking for us... Moreover, as Rex pointed out, I am not sure there are many alternatives, I also am also not sure CON would want to stay on with the abuse he received during the year from certain social media outlets... Lets see...
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 1:56 am

Definitely leave him there unless there is a standout candidate who wants the job. He certainly learnt a lot this year after finding the step up from no. 2 to top man difficult like so many before him. We are well able to mix it with the big boys now and winning those close games is the next step.
Actually think Div 2 will make it easier to integrate the young players and would love to see Davy Burke take on some role in the team as preparation for the future.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 3:23 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Would you be happy to give Cian another 3 Years so Johnny  ?.
What do others think ?.
Would the Players be happy with that I wonder ?.

I'd be happy enough if they kept him on for another term Seamus, maybe 2 years.
Not sure what the players think but they seem to be playing for him.
I'd agree it would be a good move to bring in a defensive coach and it would be great to get Davey Burke involved.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 4:52 am

Even allowing for Dublin's many advantages, utterly shameful second half non-display by Galway today. If a Kildare team gave up in such a spineless fashion I wouldn't hesitate to call them a disgrace.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 6:56 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Even allowing for Dublin's many advantages, utterly shameful second half non-display by Galway today. If a Kildare team gave up in such a spineless fashion I wouldn't hesitate to call them a disgrace.

The feeling that the could walk the ball into the net baffled me. I don’t think Dublin even got out of third gear to win it. Poor game and crowd. The Super 8’s probably taking its toll on people attending
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 am

The killing of the game outside of Leinster is finally happening. The financial doping of Dublin which has wiped out Leinster is now filtering into all other provinces. 54,000 at an All Ireland semi and the atmosphere was akin  to a funeral. The GAA gave basically taken a shot gun and blown off both feet. Their plan to make Dublin successful has done what everyone in Leinster has been saying for years that it would do. It has made the championship unwatchable and attendences will be decimated. They have destroyed the game for profit.
The irony being that profit will now never be seen now. Those who made that decision to pump Dublin full of money should be held accountable and their names be known to all in the GAA.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 7:04 am

Definitely Rex - GAA would want to wake up & smell the coffee. Shockingly small crowds over the weekend for All Ireland semi-finals.

You have some people going "Ah sure the Dubs will be beat eventually". And of course they will, but the likelihood is that it will be another Donegal 2014: a spectacular one-off after which everyone tries to convince themselves everything's okay. Then Dublin will probably come back and win another five in a row.

It's killing interest in the game. If Dubs win the final - and let's not forget there's a live possibility they could blow away Tyrone again like last year - expect the clamour for the split and other remedial measures to reach unprecedented levels.
Back to top Go down
Bángoléir
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 5:29 pm

I thought Galway were awful but as I saw some pointing out, they knew they couldn't resort to their usual nasty tactics (cheating) against the Dubs because they'd actually be refereed a little bit. They didn't have much else to offer

On attendances, the 67k that went to our Leinster final last year looks pretty good now

That game still bothers me. I don't think we were ever likely to win or anything, but had we prevented even one of those two early goals, if Cluxton hadn't saved that shot at the start of the Second half.... Ah, it would've been fun at least.

Hopefully with a fortunate draw we can get to a Leinster final next year and give them their fill of it. Galway didn't get any major knocks yesterday, the fortunate goal actually went their way. They even got a penalty. I don't think we'd be nearly as supine as they were

One last point on the Dubs' dominance in general, Kerry are on course for 5 minors in a row after a few fallow decades. I think the Dubs time at the top wont extend beyond this decade
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 pm

I'd like to see Cian O'Neill get at least another two years. But, if he does, I hope he can take on some of the players whose commitment to Kildare is less than 100% off the field. A one year extension makes that difficult, a two year extension makes it more possible and more likely. Difficult for a manager to operate in a situation where there are elements on the panel who think they know it all and, certainly, think they have a clearer notion of the how and the where of the team's trajectory. Mayo had that problem at times and Kildare have had it over the past couple of years. Ironically, the very players who have this extraordinary self belief (i.e delusion) are not always the shining stars they imagine themselves to be. So, for the benefit of Kildare football, I hope Cian gets the opportunity to put the boot in where it's needed. Again, ironically, these very players who suffer from this delusion will probably sing dumb when asked, face to face, whether they are happy to work for a further period with Cian. I'm hoping the emergence of some of the under-20s might be the seeing-off of some of the prima-donnas currently fluting around the panel.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Mayo are reportedly going to try and get Jim McGuinness if Rochford steps aside. I hope to god the Kildare county board do everything in their power to get McGuinness if he's interested in going back to county management. I do believe the Kildare job is more attractive than Mayo and currently one of the most attractive in the GAA.
Back to top Go down
Lillybloom
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 11:55 pm

I actually would be sick knowing if Mc Guinness was interested taking an inter county team and the Kildare Board didnt at least approach him

He is one great motivator and would be exactly what Kildare need to bring a talented group of players forward especially mental aspect where Kildares achilles heel is to close out games re: Division 1

If by any chance the chairman does read this do me a favour and approach you dont know till you at least ask a friend of mine was talking to Mc Guinness in Newbridge after the Kildare win over Mayo Mc Guinness had a lot of praise for Kildare "the talent is there his heart said hed like to see Kildare come out of super 8 but his head said otherwise "
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 11:56 pm

They need to do everything, pull out all the stops.

Would be the most significant managerial appointment since Micko.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 am

so much for supporting your own, friends romans countymen lend me your ears another knife in the back
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 2:01 am

Et tu?
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 2:03 am

Time for a poll lads.........!

Tried to upload one but couldn't manage it!
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 2:55 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
They need to do everything, pull out all the stops.

Would be the most significant managerial appointment since Micko.

Why exactly would it be the most significant since Micko?
And what exact changes might it bring?
I just don't see it....

If some of the current squad were as committed to the cause as CON then we might have gone a lot farther and done a lot better this year. (see above by way of explanation).
There are problems within the 2018 squad that need ironing out and if Cian O'Neill is given time to do that (and if he's willing to do that) we might see a very different attitude next year. Otherwise, all the managerial changes in the world will mean very little. My real worry is that anyone else (McGuinness or whoever) will be facing another year of an unknown quantity in the panel and will lose a year in sorting the wheat from the chaff. CON must surely see what's what at this stage?

I, for one, would like to see O'Neill given time to put a final shape on a squad that includes some under-20s and doesn't include those who thought themselves above the demands of a county squad of serious intent this year.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 3:07 am

Jim McGuiness is a reasonably good manager. Trust me on this one, Tom!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Super 8 's
Page 17 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: