Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Division 2 2023

Go down 
+85
Tommy-gill
t truth
Thin Blue Line
KE4Tailteann
topcat
proud_lily
totalgaa
Big Full Back
lilywhites on tour
Onechance
MickosMen
really_unofficial_kildare
Lánchúlaí
srg hartman
Shergar
1993KildareFan
Leftfoot Rightfoot
Taibi
Haggisgolf
TheGreatof1928
TheGeneral
Lanemusic
Lilywhite forever
Redrebel
smokey
Ontheterrace
lily92
lilysavage
FionnMcCool
The flour bags
Caprea
gunnerman
John_R
CantonasCollar
moatesports
bigball
Cassanata
TheBigDog#
LilywhiteKildare1
ClaneLillywhite
jim
OutSideOfTheBoot
steviegenius
shoutitout
donnellyshollow
KILL BILL
Twentyeight
murof
Anyonebutthedubs
MD
Onhisboot
lomond
shunta15
Botch
NorthernLily89
Wonderful barn
DannyBoy
Rex
if_in_doubt
Tawnbag123
Manhatten21
jimmers
centreback
flourman
The Chair
LillieLad
Clubman
Kildare999
Liffey Likes
Highball
CillDara71
TommyKeegan
BearintheSquare
Gaa1928
Kildare98
lily4fr
bite the pillow
Thelillywhites
Badger85
Flamingo
Ohtoohtobe
Southern Gael
Jimmy winning matches
FlourBag_1
89 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Junior A
Junior A

Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 12:09 pm

Dean Rock scored winning point from a wrongly awarded free in injury time.
Three Kildare defenders dispossessed a Dubs attacker legitimately and were deemed to have fouled him.
Full back line was excellent in defence and attack, even though Mick had his hands full with one of the best forwards in the game. Houlie put in a few great hits and he and Shea are leaders on the field.
Halfbacks were solid but cautious. Hylo knows how to tackle.
Mid field was solid
Neil Flynn, two excellent 50’s
Jack Robinson terrific
Kirwan and Jimmy fab
We didn’t deserve to lose
Great job by management team against an almost unbeatable Dublin 15

Liffey Likes and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
lily4fr
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 12:23 pm

CantonasCollar wrote:
Will do well to avoid relegation. Can see Dublin winning today by 12+

Up. Your. Hole

Cilldara_2000, Ohtoohtobe, lilysavage, Twentyeight, cuttothebone, CantonasCollar, Thelillywhites and like this post

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 7:31 pm

NorthernLily89 wrote:

On a separate note 5 points the spread on Saturday lol!

Hope you filled your boots lol!

lilysavage, Twentyeight and NorthernLily89 like this post

Back to top Go down
NorthernLily89
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 7:47 pm

Myself flourman and lily4fr are going out to celebrate our morale victory in a 1 point defeat to a Dublin team who look like they haven't seen a football since last July. They were there for the taking, but them lads are scarred by that blue jersey no matter who's in it, the new lads for Dublin are nowhere near the standards they set. Jack Robinson very impressive. Archbold hit post and stood back to put his hands on his head, instead of following in the rebound, probably wouldn't of got there but it those small margins that can make a difference. Anyway more optimistic of getting points on the board against Cork. Cill Dara abu

lilysavage likes this post

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 8:31 pm

Nobody is celebrating a defeat, but let's see will any other team get that close to Dublin. It might be a big help with scoring difference at the end of league. Of course it counts for nothing if we fail to beat Cork.

NorthernLily89, Southern Gael and lily92 like this post

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 pm

Yah Archibold retreated instead of going after a possible rebound or even hassling the keeper. To be fair he was just on the pitch. Kirwan could have been the star man yesterday and won the game for us but he didnt play to his potential. Neil Flynn mixed good with the bad but great to see him casually slot over 45s. Houlihan was motm for us, outstanding again, Robinson had a great first half. David Hyland looked the part at 6. Also thought ref was poor, he didnt seem to understand the advantage rule which penalised us in particular by not allowing us to play on. Their goal was a little too easy. Think Masterson and Cribben will be squad players rather than starters. Disappointed with the result but a relief to be competitive against them in CP for 75mins, last time was the phantom foul on Brogan i think. Big game in Conleths next week.
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 10:58 pm

Improvements from last year...Hyland in at 6, Neil Flynn in starting 15, Jack Robinson (Dubs couldn't handle him) McDemott developing, ( Dan Ben & Feely to come back in) .... defensive structure improving but not there yet, work to be done on kick outs and quicker transition defence to attack, we need to attack the rest of the league now

KILL BILL, 1956, lilysavage, Thelillywhites, Southern Gael and donnellyshollow like this post

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 11:37 pm

NorthernLily89 wrote:
Myself flourman and lily4fr are going out to celebrate our morale victory in a 1 point defeat to a Dublin team who look like they haven't seen a football since last July. They were there for the taking, but them lads are scarred by that blue jersey no matter who's in it, the new lads for Dublin are nowhere near the standards they set. Jack Robinson very impressive. Archbold hit post and stood back to put his hands on his head, instead of following in the rebound, probably wouldn't of got there but it those small margins that can make a difference. Anyway more optimistic of getting points on the board against Cork. Cill Dara abu

Not sure who these new lads for Dublin are that basically was their strongest line up bar Mannion. We had a few out as well.
And this hadn't seen a ball lark is nonsense. As if they've been on the beer since last Summer.

Next weekend hopefully Dan is back. I'd consider Beirne in Midfield with O'Callaghan to give extra legs. Dan if fit for Cribbin, with Ben possibly for Neil although would be harsh. Jimmy is not tearing up any trees so maybe Dan moves in for him and Ben for Cribbin

1.Donnellan
2. O'Grady
3. Ryan
4.Houlihan
5. Molone
6.Hyland
7.McDermott
8.O'Callaghan
9.Beirne
10. Neil Flynn
11.Kevin Flynn
12. McCormack
13. Robinson
14. Kirwan
15. Dan Flynn (Hyland if Dan unfit)

OutSideOfTheBoot likes this post

Back to top Go down
FlourBag_1
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 12:02 am

Like the look of that team Rex. We have a lot of options up front. As mentioned previously, David Hyland, Robinson & Neil Flynn are like 3 new players this year. Our league begins next Sunday against Cork. We have to go for it and win. After Fenton scored the goal after 5 minutes, I think we all feared the worst. Glenn even referenced last years game in his post match interview which shows how it has certainly been to the fore front of their minds. After having a look back at the game again this morning, I felt we were on the end of some poor decisions from the ref. We never led in the game and we were constantly chasing, we showed grit to stay going.

1956 and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 12:28 am

Hyland didn't play at 6 as far as I could see. He played a defensive wing forward not that positions matter that much any more. I differ from others in that I thought David Hyland was just OK. Didn't do anything wrong but I didn't think he was brilliant either.

KILL BILL and CillDara71 like this post

Back to top Go down
CantonasCollar
Senior
Senior
CantonasCollar

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 12:35 am

Very upbeat after the game. I was full sure we would get hammered. I thought defensively we were good. The physicality was good. I loved Kevin O'Callaghans hit on John Small. It seemed to lift the team. Our attacking play was a bit slow but definitely something to work on. Cork next week is a must win. Looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 12:52 am

I wouldn't rush Dan back if wasn't even fit to be on bench yesterday. I would bring Ben in for Cribbin, and that's it. Hopefully Dan as an option off the bench.

Southern Gael likes this post

Back to top Go down
NorthernLily89
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 2:10 am

Rex wrote:
NorthernLily89 wrote:

Not sure who these new lads for Dublin are that basically was their strongest line up bar Mannion. We had a few out as well.
And this hadn't seen a ball lark is nonsense. As if they've been on the beer since last Summer.

Next weekend hopefully Dan is back. I'd consider Beirne in Midfield with O'Callaghan to give extra legs. Dan if fit for Cribbin, with Ben possibly for Neil although would be harsh. Jimmy is not tearing up any trees so maybe Dan moves in for him and Ben for Cribbin

1.Donnellan
2. O'Grady
3. Ryan
4.Houlihan
5. Molone
6.Hyland
7.McDermott
8.O'Callaghan
9.Beirne
10. Neil Flynn
11.Kevin Flynn
12. McCormack
13. Robinson
14. Kirwan
15. Dan Flynn (Hyland if Dan unfit)

You must be well in the know in Dublin. Didn't have a clue who of the majority of their bench was. As we know it's about the finishers in GAA these days. Was great to see the likes of Ben and feely coming on. Should of won Dublin were brutal but still the mental factor and ref didn't help.
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 2:33 am

One thing (of many) we have been nowhere near good enough the last few years is goalscoring. I see Meath got 3 goals today against Cork today, you would hope this is a chance for us to improve next week.
Back to top Go down
lily92
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 3:56 am

murof wrote:
Nobody is celebrating a defeat, but let's see will any other team get that close to Dublin. It might be a big help with scoring difference at the end of league. Of course it counts for nothing if we fail to beat Cork.

I admire the cut of your jib.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 4:14 am

Obviously there are issues with some wild shots and balls dropping into the keeper. Their was far too easy but they didn't let it

Thought Kirwan was poor in the first half. Robinson really lay down a marker and Kirwan and Jimmy have serious competition there.

I know we didn't get in for goals enough but they played with such a packed defence that most teams will struggle. On our end the full back line continue to show their class and Darragh Malone showed all the time for the ball.

It was great to see Feely and Ben getting game time too and you would imagine they are starters.

Every chance we had to nail a Dub we took it, by hook or by crook, so that's great to see too.

On we go!

Thelillywhites likes this post

Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 6:58 am

Positive enough day out considering i travelled up hoping we could keep within double figures of them. Serious improvements since last year and i think we would have won if we got the rub of the green with the ref. Were never going to get that though when our manager is rowing with the 4th official and linesman for 2 or 3 minutes as the game went on around him.

Great to see kildare bringing a bit of physicality and bullying the dubs. O Callaghan really burst small but i thought he did it fairly.

I thought jimmy was poor. Chap looks like he needs a break
Back to top Go down
Tawnbag123
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 9:23 am

New championship format is abit mad
Back to top Go down
Ontheterrace
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 10:08 am

Having watched the Kildare and mayo games ....two observations.....neither Kildare nor Dublin would live with Mayo or Galway at the moment .....the standard of refereeing is appalling.

Ontheterrace likes this post

Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 10:30 am

I thought we were very comfortable on the ball, even though we didn't move forward at great pace. It was reassuring to see how cool we were passing the ball around. I liked the way our backs were so fluid going forward, especially Shea Ryan, it reminds me a little bit of Tyrone 2 years ago. I was amazed how defensive Dublin were setup, and they were so dangerous on the counter attack. At times I was pleasantly surprised how Kildare found a passage through, we were quite patient to wait for right pass. Most of the turnovers were the final pass to the full forward line. Plenty of positives and plenty to work on.

Last edited by Sir Gazelle on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 11:41 am

I have watched the game again today. No point on commenting on the very poor refereeing & the Dublin players soccer style diving. Without criticising any individuals here are some of my thoughts on yesterday
- No matter how good the goalie is we need a kick out strategy/plan/call signs whatever. And that’s up to everyone on the pitch!
- On that at the other end we have stop “conceding” kick outs. Letting players come at us at speed just isn’t working.
- We have to speed up our movement out with the ball. There is big improvements but still tend to go across & back far too often.
- The full back line were once again our best line. They are individually playing well, trust each other & work really well together. Their fitness lasted right to the end with all 3 of them showing leadership throughout the game.
- The half back line is like the old saying when they are good … but can have a tendency to stroll around & look casual. Having said that I agree with the posters who have commented on how Darragh Malone quietly gets on with the job.
- Midfield Kev O’Callaghan is growing into this role by needs to be partnered either by a better fielder of the ball or someone with speed
- The half forwards worked so much harder than last year but still need improve in tackling & defending.
- The full forward line is the most competitive for places. Jack Robinson if he continues to play like he did yesterday is a certainty, the other 2 places are up for grabs for whoever is prepared to work hardest & smartest & is not afraid to shoot.
The negative was the result even a point from a draw would have been great
The positives: our resilience after the goal, the bit of bite, the tightening up of our defending, the players that are to come back/start, the support that was there despite it being Dublin in Croker
Roll in next week, let’s pack out Conleths & really get our league campaign going.

Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 8:43 pm

Overall a positive enough outing. Apart from their goal we didn't concede too many other goal chances which is a big positive but still work to be done. That goal still comes from lads not tracking back. Dublin had the ball on one wing and switched it across, we had all day to get lads back but in the end there was an acre of space in front of out goal which Dublin are always going to punish.

As good as Dublin forwards are they will still work back and get behind the ball, we have to do the same.

I was at the Cork game for my sins yesterday. Meath scored 3 but could have had double that just by running at them directly.
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 9:14 pm

Apparently Jimmy Hyland has a broken nose after being subbed in first half on Saturday.

cuttothebone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 9:29 pm

That's him gone for next week so. I wonder how far off Dan is?

I think the issue is that lads are working hard tracking back but if you are on the wrong side and their players get a run it's very hard to stop. We need someone sitting around the D and plugging the gap.
We tend to be marking players and keeping and eye on them, even if they are out the field, and then almost forget that the Dubs are just dragging us around to leave those gaps.

I was amazed when I heard Feely was in the mix and delighted to see him get game time, but we still need to ease him back. Beirne looked physically very strong when he came in and could be a running option in the middle.

We need to look at long kickouts as Donnellan pout a few out where it was 2 v 1 against us at times. At one stage in the 1st half Kevin O'Callaghan dropped into a lovely bit of space around the 45 but wasn't picked out and then it was blasted out the wing where Fenton was.

Just another note to say how happy to see N Flynn back. He isn't shy on work and always looks for a positive pass. Then he strokes over 45s and can kick a point.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 11:04 pm

Happy enough that we were at least in the game for the entire 70 minutes as like most I feared the worst when the goal went in. Nice to see some fight in these lads but we still have so much to improve on.
- if we can't get a handy kickout to a player on the 21 yard line then we have no plan B. I don't believe we caught a "mark" in the whole game. I don't blame the keeper on this, this has to come from the training pitch where it is practiced over and over again till it works.
- our full back line broke more challenges with the ball than any other line on the pitch. This is grand till you lose it once and get turned over. We need our middle 8 players to be able to carry the ball hard and at pace.
- D Hyland looks like he is the only player from midfield back willing to kick the ball forward 40-50 yards. Everyone else goes side ways or pops off a hand pass. We need to move the ball quicker.
- we had a couple of frees in the first half that were 40/50 yards out that were central enough. For some reason N Flynn did not take any of them. OK one of them Kirwan worked into a score but why would a player who scored two 45's in the game not be told to kick everything that is in his range?
- full forward line spilled a lot of ball on Saturday. Hard enough to work getting a pass in that it has to stick when it does.
- Glenn can't be giving out to the officials about everything. I believe him doing so on Saturday, which he got a card for, resulted in the ref going against us just a little. Unfortunately a little means you don't get 1 or 2 frees you probably should. He needs to be wiser and learn when to make his arguments.
- have to start creating goal chances and taking them. Dublin turned the ball over poorly to us and we should have scored but apart from that we never got close to their goals.

Don't want to sound too down beat after a decent enough display but some of the errors we are making are not new to this team. The management are now into their second year and I would have thought a kick out strategy and defined game plan would have being well established by now.

Sunday is a must win game. Lose and we face straight into a relegation battle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Division 2 2023
Page 12 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next