Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Division 2 2023

Go down 
+85
Tommy-gill
t truth
Thin Blue Line
KE4Tailteann
topcat
proud_lily
totalgaa
Big Full Back
lilywhites on tour
Onechance
MickosMen
really_unofficial_kildare
Lánchúlaí
srg hartman
Shergar
1993KildareFan
Leftfoot Rightfoot
Taibi
Haggisgolf
TheGreatof1928
TheGeneral
Lanemusic
Lilywhite forever
Redrebel
smokey
Ontheterrace
lily92
lilysavage
FionnMcCool
The flour bags
Caprea
gunnerman
John_R
CantonasCollar
moatesports
bigball
Cassanata
TheBigDog#
LilywhiteKildare1
ClaneLillywhite
jim
OutSideOfTheBoot
steviegenius
shoutitout
donnellyshollow
KILL BILL
Twentyeight
murof
Anyonebutthedubs
MD
Onhisboot
lomond
shunta15
Botch
NorthernLily89
Wonderful barn
DannyBoy
Rex
if_in_doubt
Tawnbag123
Manhatten21
jimmers
centreback
flourman
The Chair
LillieLad
Clubman
Kildare999
Liffey Likes
Highball
CillDara71
TommyKeegan
BearintheSquare
Gaa1928
Kildare98
lily4fr
bite the pillow
Thelillywhites
Badger85
Flamingo
Ohtoohtobe
Southern Gael
Jimmy winning matches
FlourBag_1
89 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 11:18 pm

The Ref was so bad you try and stick up for them and they go out a ref like that no wonder people get so worked up. I taught we played well in patches stayed in the game could of being a bit more faster moving the ball taught we slowed it up to much waiting for the perfect time to move forward sometimes you should take it on with runners off your shoulder etc. Looking at the next games i would be confident of beating Cork Limerick Louth Meath & Clare the Derry game will be tough but with it in Newbridge i would give us a great chance of going up.
Back to top Go down
donnellyshollow
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 11:25 pm

Some thoughts after attending the game on Saturday evening:

1. Jack Robinson looked lively and threatening every time he got the ball. That dummy hop he employs is sublime. Our forward options for the year ahead are exciting provided all can remain fit

2. Midfield will require some thought. KO'C had some great moments, including a massive turnover in the second half in our own half which led to a Kildare point, but I worry that he doesn't have the mobility for a full 70 minutes at the very top level, especially when paired with Masterson or Feely - both of whom have their own qualities but neither lung-busting athletes in the mould of a Ruane/McDaid/Fenton. In an ideal world I would have KO'C as an impact off the bench, concentrating his strength in close contact into a 15/20 min period. Not sure what the right combination is between those we have available for CB/MF/CF currently but hoping that will reveal itself over the league campaign.

3. Transitions from defence to attack were ponderous at times, allowing Dublin to reset their blanket defensive shape. Need to consider how we can shift the ball from defence to attack quicker against such systems to allow our danger men in the forward line the time and space they need to do damage.

The Dubs were poor by their standards with some terrible shooting, so it did feel like a missed opportunity leaving Croker empty-handed. Keeping things in perspective, however, it was a heartening performance with plenty of positive signs for the season ahead. Agreed that we were done no favours by the ref with some very questionable calls in the second half.

Last edited by donnellyshollow on Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 pm

What I found frustrating was the slowness of the ball moving from defence to attack, sideways, backways, everyway however when we did move the ball quickly we seem the run directly into their full back line so hard to know what to do.

I viewed one kick out from behind the goal and although there appeared to be men free the ball didn't go to them plus one kick out somehow was aimed at one Kildare player who had 3 Dublin players on him.

In some ways were were lucky that for most of the 2nd half Dublin didn't contest our kick outs, this is not a 'pop' at Mark Donnellan but something that requires repairing.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 3:35 am

I know there are systems but Donnellan didn't play what was in front of him a few times and took some bad options for the longer distance kickouts.

Those examples mentioned above he has to put his hand up for. I think it was the same one with Kevin O'Callaghan who had found space and was showing really well.

It's not all the keeper as we all say, so it's something to work on. One nearly was perfect but for an amazing intercept from Fenton, so we just need to work on it overall.

That's the beauty of Feely...just lash it out to him and it works!

Last edited by Flamingo on Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Southern Gael likes this post

Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 3:41 am

I really hope they leave Donnellan in goals on Sunday. He's a more reliable option. O Niell is almost guaranteed to hook 5 kickouts over the sideline.
Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 3:55 am

I agree, I would have Donnellan in all the time. I said it last year and it proved right against Mayo and I'm not the great lad saying that its just common sense from what Ive seen.
Kildare need to go out now on Sunday and send a message against Cork to the rest of the divison.

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 4:10 am

I don't think we can worry about laying down a marker. Just feckin win and play hard football.
In fairness the heads did not drop after that goal on Saturday and we hit them when he had the chance.

Seemingly Cork v Meath was very open so if it is open in front of us we can run at teams. Dublin packed it out, so we will get more joy this time out.
Looking forward Meath seem very happy with their forwards but I'd back our full back line as lads most wouldn't want to come up against.

It depends on the fitness levels but there won't be huge changes. If we have Ben and Feely in reserve they are huge lads to finish bring on.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 4:40 am

Wasn’t sure if I’d have the enthusiasm for Saturday, but I had that new season buzz & so made the trek by Croker. Clearly a lot of people in the same boat as there was a decent Kildare crowd. Have to say, for a county whose senior team never wins anything they get some amount of support.

Surprised by the quality of the display, and honestly I was amazed - dumbfounded even - that we didn’t use a similar defensive system in Leinster final last year. That’s really the kind of game it should have been but you’d have to ask management about that, I don’t really understand it.

Anyway, wasn’t rocket science - play with a sweeper, get the wing forwards & midfields working back and you can make yourself very solid. Unbelievably frustrating that O’Callaghan lost Fenton for the goal - particularly cos Fenton did eff all otherwise & O’Callaghan had a fine outing. He even showed more quality than I thought he had - sublime pass for Archbold which should have been a goal, more frustration.

Also some savage belts by O’Callaghan on Small & Houlihan on Fenton - LOVED both. At our best under Glenn we play with a savage edge. Some magnificent moments from Robinson but not surprising as it was obvious he was a potential star from minor.

Big area we need to work on is breaking down a massed defence but that’s definitely achievable. If we were Tyrone, Galway, Mayo I’d definitely say we were on the right track, but as we’re Kildare, anything could happen. We could get promoted, we could taper off, we could implode & end up in Tailteann Cup (maybe we might finally win something). The history of Kildare football is not us realising our potential & ruthlessly achieving success.

If I was Glenn I’d be drilling into the players: I’d don’t care what it takes, we just need to get promoted out of this bastard. It could be a whole new era in Kildare football, that’s how important it is.

We also have a huge part to play as supporters, starting next weekend. Let’s pack out Newbridge for the home games & suffocate opposition with our deranged intensity & passion, a la Newbridge Or Nowhere & Kerry, Dubs, Monaghan last year.

CILL DARA ABU.

Ohtoohtobe, 1956, Flamingo, lilywhites on tour, Thelillywhites and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 5:28 am

Completely agree Kildare98. We are a football mad county and fair play to the supporters who go to the well time and time again.
The buzz in Newbridge last year was terrific! The supporters were the 16th man.Time to pack Newbridge out for the bank holiday weekend and get the lillywhite show on the road!

moatesports, Kildare98 and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 9:15 pm

Hard to know what to make of it, indeed any opening game of the year, especially in such a long and cramped season. Frustration we didn't get something we probably deserved, annoyance at referee, shouting at forwards kicking it away, pleased by giving them a game, surprised by holding it close especially after the goal. And all caveated by the fact that we beat them last year and look what happened later on.

All in all, despite so much being there to take from it, reluctant to take anything from it.

I feel Cork is actually a more important game, in terms of some consistency and actually getting something from this league.

KILL BILL, lilysavage and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 pm

I think last year the Dubs were more there for the taking and we payed them on a poxy day in Newbridge. On Saturday it was on their home turf and the players were sickened not to get a result.
In a strange way it could stand to them more than the win last year, but only if we get the points going forward. The Dubs were a free hit really.

Looking like a cold, clear but dry day at the weekend so be great to see crowd out and making Newbridge noisy! The home games last year were great in fairness.

TommyKeegan, Thelillywhites and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 9:47 pm

I don't buy the free hit thing at all. The Dubs were there for the taking and was always a good chance they would be on on Day 1. In fairness, the lads knew that and had a cut but it fell short and we are 2 points behind and up against it with Derry in particular. When the door is opened, you have to pick up the points if are to be successful. Goals win tight games. We have a problem scoring goals.

TommyKeegan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tawnbag123
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2023 7:16 am

Alex beirne great game for dcu there tonight in sigarsdon was everywhere
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2023 5:42 pm

We were always the worst team in leinster for scoring goals. Shocking. Even last year we missed so many chances that cost us staying up. It is something you can work on but they obviously dont. If I was glen I would ring Robertstown and Joe Kavanagh for advice. 😁

Ohtoohtobe likes this post

Back to top Go down
FlourBag_1
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2023 1:24 am

Anyone know if Dan will be available for selection this weekend? Hopefully Ben will be able to get more minutes too. This is a huge game, arguably one of the biggest of Glenn’s tenure. We need to pack Newbridge Sunday and make it as intimidating as possible!

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 am

You would imagine Ben and Feely are pushing hard. As I said before Beirne looked a beast when he came on and he has more football in him that O'Callaghan so maybe he could go in the middle with Feely at some point.

Bit harsh on K O'C as he did step up the last day. We actually have a decent panel when you look at it overall now with Eoin Doyle and Dan to come in.

Some hard calls to be made, but I will always shout for keeping Neil Flynn as he adds so much. Him one side of Ben with a defensive wing forward is a nice mix.

Then inside Dan, Jimmy, Kirwan, Robinson, Woodgate all fighting. Plus you also look at N Flynn going inside there too.

Back to top Go down
Redrebel
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2023 7:27 am

So what's the delay in announcing the team for Sunday?
Ye are almost as bad as our crowd for secrecy.
We don't expect too much from our lads due to Sigerson every few days but
we are hoping for a referee that can count............steps I mean.
Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2023 10:53 pm

I think there was a bit of controversy with the ref named for our game in a connacht club game.
I hope Donnellan is named again in goals.

Back to top Go down
lily4fr
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 1:27 am

What kind of controversy?
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 3:27 am

I will give the referee las week one bit of credit, despite the efforts of Cormac Costello and a member of the Dublin backroom to make the referee aware that Costello had a very sore chinny chin chin, following an apparent collision with a Kildare player, the ref didn't react to it and allowed play to resume. When the ref moved on, I was very relieved to see Cormac recover well to immediately jump up off the ground having being stretched out , and then get involved in the next play. I can't agree with several other referring decisions such as Dublin's first two points but I suppose you win some and lose some.
Back to top Go down
Redrebel
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 4:59 am

lily4fr wrote:
What kind of controversy?

"After I blew my whistle to signal the end of the game, I was knocked forward due to being pushed strongly in my back," he opens in an addendum to his match report from the fixture.

"I was then verbally abused and subjected to threatening conduct by a number of An Creagán/Maigh Locha players."

Henry, who names the players in the report, continues: "These An Creagán/Maigh Locha players surrounded me in a threatening demeanour and were less than 1m from me as they shouted verbal abuse such as, 'You f**king cheat,' 'You’re a f**king p***k', 'Why didn’t you give us the f**king mark’, 'You f**king robbed us you p***k”, “What the f**k ref',

“You’re a f**king shocking referee”, “Do you not know what a f**king mark is”, “You are a f**king cheat, nothing else, a f**king cheat”."
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 6:18 am

Any word on the team selection or dare I ask.
Back to top Go down
Southern Gael
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 7:14 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
Any word on the team selection or dare I ask.
Hearing it's the same team as started against Dublin, although also  hearing Jimmy has a groin problem. Dan is on the bench apparently

Gaa1928 likes this post

Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 7:42 pm

There's no chance of this being called off is there ? Garden is frozen here but I imagine it will clear up
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 9:57 pm

Zero chance, by 2.00 it will be 10°, already thawing, perfect day for football

CillDara71 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Division 2 2023   Division 2 2023 - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Division 2 2023
Page 13 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next