Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?

Go down 
+4
Stonecold
Highball
Gaffer
Sam1928
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Empty
PostSubject: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:44 am

The answer in a nutshell is no.....here are the facts :

All NFL and Championship games 2010, 2011 and 2012 so far :

Games at St. Conleths :

Played....11
Won...8
Win % ...73%

Avg Scored ....17 pts
Avg conceed..14 pts

Games played away or neutral :

Played...24
Won...13
Win %.....54%

Avg scored... 16 pts
Avg conceed..14 pts

If somebody said to me do you want Kildare to play in Conleths or somewhere else.
Conleths every time for me.

We are some fans as well. Is there any other county in Ireland that is on the road more than we are in league and championship?
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:49 am

Also this is the record for the same period in Croke Park :

All NFL and Championship games 2010, 2011 and 2012 so far :

Games at Croke Park :

Played....8
Won...4
Win % ...50%

Avg Scored ....17 pts
Avg conceed..15 pts

Back to top Go down
Gaffer
Intermediate
Intermediate
Gaffer

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:06 am

Great post Sam, well done. Puts an end to some silly assertions that Newbridge does not suit Kildare.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:06 am

Did Carol lend a hand with those calcs Sam?
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:08 am

Carol lending a hand.....there's a wonderful thought!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:24 am

Sam1928 wrote:
Carol lending a hand.....there's a wonderful thought!!!!!

hhahahahhaha class!! Down with that sorta thing!!
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:33 am

Kildareful now! Smile
Back to top Go down
Bān go Lēir
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:27 am

very good post, fairplay for taking the time!
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 4:04 am

To be honest its just lazy suggesting that St Conleth's is a small pitch and that hampers Kildare. It's pretty much an average size pitch, it just looks small because of the wall around it.
Always drives me mental as well when someone suggests that a player or team will thrive in 'the wide open spaces' of Croke Park when there are plenty of pitches of similar size all around the country. People are relying on their perception rather than facts.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 am

Okay as the person who inadvertently started this conversation I will just say this and leave it at that as the topic excercises me less than some people on here. I said that I didnt think that Kildare "play" well in Conleths and often "perform" better away. I wasn't talking about results, I've attended all those matches and know the results. Its just my opinion, I never claimed it was anything else.
Sam, I'm sure youre aware that stastics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting but what they conceal is what you really want to see. I'm not surprised that our win ratio is better at home than away, would that not be the case for most of the top 10 teams? What the figures for Croke Park conceal is that they include quarter final and semi final games and narrow and controversial defeats at that. The quality of the oppostion in july and August is far superior to most of the teams who come to Newbridge in springtime. Wouldn't it be ironic if we get promoted despite having fewer home games than anyone else!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

It wasnt really directed at you murof. I thought it was an interesting exercise based on discussions in here.

I have to agree with Ohtoohtobe above in that it drives me crazy when people refer to the wide open spaces of Croke Park and the tight Newbridge pitch suiting and not suiting Kildare.

The facts dont bear that out.

I take your point somewhat about sometimes playing tougher opposition in Croke Park at the end of the summer (Down / Donegal...hardly giants of the game though) while we lost to Dublin in June and Tyrone in February.

I would just rather see Kildare teams judged on the performances without any references to pitch sizes which I think in my view is not relevant.

Finally In a game of chance surely you would go with the option that has the highest percentage of winning, and thats why I'll never agree with the view that Kildare are better suited on the wide open spaces of Croke Park and its why I was so against giving up home advantage playing Tyrone up there in the league especially if we were serious about promotion.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Fair enough Sam and I appreciate you taking the time to produce the evidence. I totally agree with you on the stupidity of giving up home advantage against a team that loves playing in Croke Park. Your posts are always welcome while Carol is with you!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:25 pm

I stand corrected. Croker IS bigger than Newbridge though. I honestly felt it didn't suit Kildare's current style of play against teams that pack defences. There are a couple of stark examples since 2008 - Armagh, Derry, even Westmeath a couple of years ago when they scraped the result. But obviously, the facts are there; they win more in Newbridge than anywhere else. Can't argue with that.

Anyway, I'm much, MUCH more interested in Carol lending a hand
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Well Ogie she does have two of them but unfortunately lending them to me Im sure she will need both...................to work out all those stats of course!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?   The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Facts - Does St. Conleths hamper Kildare?
Page 1 of 1