Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jimmy's Winning Matches

Go down 
+10
Loads of Pints
Ohtoohtobe
tomcruise
murof
Ogie
kelf
Cilldara_2000
losthope
MD
tomoneillandhissisteranne
14 posters
AuthorMessage
All-Star
All-Star

Jimmy's Winning Matches Empty
PostSubject: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 am

Am I the only one - watching this documentary - who thought Jimmy was blessed with great good fortune (Cork rattling a crossbar; the second flukey goal against Mayo off the upright rebound) and a way with words that sounds deep until you actually listen to what is, essentially, twaddle? Of course matches are not won in soundbites but I came away from the programme thinking there's a lot less to him than meets the eye. Anyway, 2013 will tell us more...
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 pm

I was actually really disappointed with that programme all it seemed to be was a review of each match...we never really got a deep insight into anything they all just reviewed matches....was expecting a bit more
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:41 pm

I suppose Tom if you wait around long enough he will fall or am I reading you wrong ??

As far as I am concerned a manager can use what ever he likes to get his team to perform and if its twaddle that works then twaddle is what it will be

I enjoyed the programme, winning the AI was great but what was most impressive was where the started from, ranked 19th in 2010 to the no 1 spot in 2 years,

You got to give credit where its due
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 pm

So Jimmy can lift the lid in his behind the scenes documentary but if anyone even dares mention anything he will be banished for life while Jimmy will hold a life long grudge against the journalist.

I also particularly liked how he nearly knocked down Karl Lacey in his rush to collect the RTE team of the year award. Perhaps I'm something of a traditionalist but I would think that a member of the team, maybe even the captain, collects cups and trophies on behalf of a team?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 12:36 am

Cilldara_2000

Very true,its the the Captain's job, not the grabbing manager.

I did not watch as all the secrets were revealed by Cassidy !!!!! He spoiled that opportunity for Jimmy who is not forgiving !!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 am

I didn't watch it but whatever he said, or didn't say, and whatever his actions I mightn't always agree with - hello. Donegal were shit when he took over. And now they're All-Ireland champions. That's good enough for me, if they never do another thing. I know everyone around here would take it.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 am

interesting the importance he placed on the win against Kildare and the manner of it. If they lost then it would be easy for the players to think that they were not ready for the step up to the next level. It was the making of Donegal and sadly the start of our decline. It could all have been so different if JD had not got crocked in the first minute and a perfectly good goal not been ruled out. We deserved a lot more from that game than we got.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 am

murof wrote:
interesting the importance he placed on the win against Kildare and the manner of it. If they lost then it would be easy for the players to think that they were not ready for the step up to the next level. It was the making of Donegal and sadly the start of our decline. It could all have been so different if JD had not got crocked in the first minute and a perfectly good goal not been ruled out. We deserved a lot more from that game than we got.

Agree. It was heart wrenching watching the highlights of that game last night. But by god what a game it really was.

After some serious soul searching I believe we will bounce back. It will be hard after Cork last year but I hope McGeeney, Julie Davis and the players had a good look at everthing over the winter months.
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 2:48 am

Agree murof - maybe that's what really pissed me off about the programme if I think about it Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 3:35 am

They beat Tyrone , Down , Kerry , Cork and Mayo among others to win Sam. That is an incredible achievement for which the manager can take many of the plaudits. Other than the great Tyrone team of 1995 , I cannot remember a harder won AI. Admittedly they have the best player in the country in Michael Murphy and Lacey and McFadden are also top class , but McGuinness brought them from 19th to the summit in two years. Would he be interested in a move down South for 2014 ?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 3:37 am

Tyrone 2005?
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 3:44 am

Sorry ohtoohtobe I stand corrected. 2005 is the year. The best team I have seen in Croker since the great Kerry team of the late 70s / early 80S.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:18 am

Johnny Maher wrote:
murof wrote:

Agree. It was heart wrenching watching the highlights of that game last night. But by god what a game it really was.

After some serious soul searching I believe we will bounce back. It will be hard after Cork last year but I hope McGeeney, Julie Davis and the players had a good look at everthing over the winter months.

interesting you mention that, i see from twitter Julie Davis spent a lot of december over in sydney working/training/observing the AFL team team who incidentally is coached by Nicholas Walsh, SJ's old clubmate in Cavan. Would be refreshing to see a more mobile/explosively quick team come July/August
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:27 am

Was it the only reason she was in Oz though? I think not.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 6:20 am

If she's in Australia, who has been doing the physical work over the last six weeks.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 8:44 am

Rex wrote:
If she's in Australia, who has been doing the physical work over the last six weeks.

The players - I hope Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 11:52 am

flourman

CLASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 am

I'll get my coat Smile
Back to top Go down
overthemoon
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 am

Cilldara_2000 wrote:

I also particularly liked how he nearly knocked down Karl Lacey in his rush to collect the RTE team of the year award.
Only saw the re-run on Saturday so late on it here but find the above remark bizarre as Karl Lacey wasn't even at the RTE awards last year as he was at home recovering from a hip operation only a day or two beforehand, which Jim said on the show that night.

Never let the truth get in the way ... Eh?
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 am

Alright there Jim. Whichever Donegal player it was, the point remains the same, which ofc you didn't bother quoting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's Winning Matches   Jimmy's Winning Matches Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jimmy's Winning Matches
Page 1 of 1