Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare Star on the move?

Go down 
+7
ohluckyme
kildaregaa365
jj
OutTheGap
Pinkman
Cranky
Morrissey
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Morrissey
Junior A
Junior A

Kildare Star on the move? Empty
PostSubject: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 am

Not sure if the tweet embeds or not but it's from Shane Scanlon's Twitter. Anyone hear anything about this? Would it be James Kavanagh lining out for Galway this year or is another player making the move down there?
Back to top Go down
Cranky
Junior A
Junior A
Cranky

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Pinkman
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 7:05 pm

"One of Kildare's most prolific forwards"

There were a lot of different words that could be used to describe his times in a Kildare jersey. But he was never, ever prolific.

Good luck in Galway.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Bit harsh there Pinkman - he's always been one of Kildare's better forwards.

He has been wearing the Kildare jersey since under-14 level and won a Leinster U21 medal in 2004 so he has served Kildare well. Who can forget his brilliant goal against Meath in the 2010 All-Ireland quarter final?

Thanks Jimmers and best of luck with Galway.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Absolute class act on his day and there was quite a few of them around 2009/2010 in particular. Would defintely have had him in and around the Kildare squad still if he was available but that is obviously not the case.
Think this one has been on the cards quite a while so best of luck to him
Back to top Go down
Pinkman
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 8:36 pm

In not insulting him. Prolific to me means prominent and high scoring or regular top performer. I agree that on his day he was class. Problem with him was, he didnt have enough of those days. We could never go into a big match with the guarantee that he'd deliver a performance like JD. That has been the case with a lot of our players in recent times.

He's a relatively young guy with a young family and career. I hope it works out for him, and will wish him well in any games he plays. Unless its against Kildare!
Back to top Go down
Morrissey
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Well it wasn't so much of a mystery then. Best of Luck to James. With the commitment that players have to make these days it would have been next near Impossible to commit to the Kildare cause while living in Galway. He had many fine performances particularly against Meath and will always be remembered for that goal.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 12:17 am

Had heard this was on the cards well before he even left Kildare so no surprise. I would wish him well - it's easy to be disparaging and there's no question he could be inconsistent but when on his game around 2009/10 he was a joy to behold and no Kildare forward since Martin Lynch has been as stylish. The goal against Meath will live long in the memory for me. Good luck to him and Galway - I think his style will fit well with them and he'll add to their options nicely. We certainly can have no complaints about this after the carry on with SJ.
Back to top Go down
ohluckyme
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 12:43 am

Ah lads not exactly news !! The guy is married and living in Miltown, Galway where he helped his club to Galway Semi Final in SFC. Working as a Garda in Galway City, you hardly expect him to drive up and down from Galway to Kildare 3 or 4 nights a week.
Jimmers owes Kildare nothing but we owe him a big thanks for all his days in the white jersey, he was always one of the last to leave the field after a match signing autographs and getting photographs with everyone young and old.
Best of luck Jimmers.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 1:57 am

Strange how quickly things change. Not that long ago it looked like we might have a full forward line of Jimmers, Seanie and JD. The first 2 are good but neither could match JD's consistent brilliance for Kildare. It wil be a shame if we were to win a Leinster next year and he had just retired.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Jesus Seanie wasn't in the same province as Jimmers...
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Ogie wrote:
Jesus Seanie wasn't in the same province as Jimmers...
Yeah and neither are in JD's league which was the point I was making. Consistent high performance and high scoring over so many years.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 4:11 am

Spot on there murof ........JD is a legend and we will probably never see his like again....
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 am

which makes you wonder why every other forward has to live up to that standard before we give them any credit...

that said I used to love Gerry Power when all the auld lads around me were lambasting him !

(some if you will be far too young to remember him)
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Crofter wrote:
which makes you wonder why every other forward has to live up to that standard before we give them any credit...

that said I used to love Gerry Power when all the auld lads around me were lambasting him !

Yeah I loved his determination - I thought he was a great player.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Remember him also, lovely striker of the ball off the ground or out of the hand......and he had serious turn of pace also......
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Crofter wrote:

Took the words out of my mouth... Comparing Jimmers with the man considered by many to be the best Kildare footballer ever and if not, the best Kildare forward ever is one way to put him down alright...
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:57 am

Wasn't putting him down, merely pointing out that he was good but inconsistent. And surely every Kildare footballer should aspire to be compared to JD?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 9:52 am

murof wrote:
Wasn't putting him down, merely pointing out that he was good but inconsistent. And surely every Kildare footballer should aspire to be compared to JD?
I aspired to be like Jimmy Barry Murphy and it didn't happen. In either code! I'm just saying that holding JD up as the bar isn't fair if you're pointing out a player's faults/weaknesses. Jimmers was a mercurial type of player no question and he could madden you at times but then he'd come out with something glorious - in fact he had an eye for a pace and ability to hit it that would be superior to JD. But part of JD's greatness is you know what you're getting, every single training session, every single day. I think Jimmers' workrate improved beyond measure under McGeeney - I thought he was pretty poor at senior level until then and those first three years in particular, he was very good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Star on the move?   Kildare Star on the move? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare Star on the move?
Page 1 of 1