Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2015 Leagues

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 10:45 pm

They are starting off tonight - will be interesting to see what changes have occurred? A new year of people gone to college, a new year of players doing Leaving Cert - that all has a big effect on teams.

Leixlip are under new management despite doing the double last year, so their form will be interesting in top tier.

Haven't seen any structures so don't know if there are too many changes. Always hard to get a handle on it even as it goes on as there are different players available and unavailable. But good it's off and running anyway.

It is an advantage in that regard that the U16 Leagues aren't on but overall, I think that competition will be a disaster played in June / July, the traditional holiday period. Many teams will struggle to field. Unfortunately, when things aren't a problem for the big clubs with numbers, they are deemed not to be a problem full stop.

Of course, while it was sold as being for the players, it was clearly to allow county management a free run. Such a short-sighted approach.

But anyway, if the hurricane eases some bit, I'll head out and catch a game. It'll be tough on the girls but it will be great to get going again.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 2:55 am

Tough night for it to kick off with the wind and bitter cold. But at least the hailstones stopped!

Any results? I heard there were a few walkovers as invariably happens with the midweek games.
Back to top Go down
Kylemore
Junior C
Junior C

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Great to see a new year of league games kick off. Who's your money on for dv1, dv2 and dv3. I would say all 3 will be tightly contested this yr. Hard to look pass Leixlip but never write off balyna ladies in dv1, what abt Confey. Where are they at these days?? Looking at dv2 this will be very interesting, Eadestown, Clane,Monasterevan, Cabury all contenders for silverware in 2015-WHO IS UR MONEY ON??
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 9:27 pm

I wouldn't know enough to make those sort of calls or put my money down anyway! Division 2 looks competitive, I haven't seen results to date.

Leixlip are the form outfit in Division 1 after doing the double but they didn't have any management as of a few weeks ago, presumably they have someone in place at this stage. If the general morale remains good, they have the players. As you say, so too have Balyna, but a lot of their key players are involved not just in football but camogie and at county level too. If they are revved up for it, they've unreal talent.

Moorefield are favourites for Division 3 I'd say.

Will be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Kylemore
Junior C
Junior C

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 9:51 pm

I do wonder did the county board get 2015 league wrong this season re grading...?? Should there of been a shake up on and a revamp on its structure?? Having seen a few games this season, i do think the likes of Eadestown, clane and monasterevan should be all be playing dv1 league. Time to give the DV1 king pins a run for there money... ?? Whats your thoughts?? Would this hinder or help the development of ladies football in kildare, what are the strategies of the CB or do they have any at all in place...?? play in the highest possible grade matching your ability, would this not push your club on to perform too its best and have you in a better position for championship?? As some day soon (and very soon) i would like to see kildare teams win leinster club titles and not just getting to finals to compete... Lets put our stamp on leinster again... time is slipping pass.. Moorefield would defo be able for dv2 league also. Your thoughts ...
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:24 pm

I see arguments both ways. My gut tells me you get to your level. And if teams are good enough, they'll make it up. And by putting teams up, they're being denied their day in the sun and while competitive, might never get that in the top tier.
I see the merit in a restructure but I just think teams should find their own place. Eadestown are in Division 2 because they were relegated; they weren't competitive enough for Division 1. Clane were in Division 3 last year.

The problem in ladies football as that how strong teams are can vary from year to year. And unfortunately, some teams tank when they go up a level, or don't field at all. Then suddenly, when they're down a grade with a chance of winning, they plough over everyone and make out that they have achieved something notable. So I would always argue that teams should not be relegated if they haven't played games.

The big issue is too many grades. That has been addressed to some extent in recent years. You need more games, and with opportunities for every team to win some game in their division / grade. It's getting there but it has been a laborious process.
Back to top Go down
Kylemore
Junior C
Junior C

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 1:43 am

but what i have seen is that clubs are not finding there own level, for example Clane last year was strong in dv3 and looking at Eadstown in dv2 this year they could be way to strong, but its early yet for this... But if you put teams up eg clane monasterevan, eadstown, cabury all up to dv1 it will allow them to be get competitive games against snr clubs and also the marginal teams.. if not tried we will never know. Excellant opportunity to improve themselves for championship competition and have a great impact at leinster level with bring home silverware and not be on the losing side. Time to stamp ourselves on leinster, this wont be achieved unless we become more competitive with our county. This would have a positive impact on our county teams also...
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 2:10 am

Ogie may be right. I have noticed in our club that when we are at the high level its very hard to get a team out as they were getting some hidings. Then when the drop a division we have loads of players and they are all at training and winning matches. Not sure what the solution is
Back to top Go down
Kylemore
Junior C
Junior C

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 7:43 pm

That is the trend in kildare, but wat is happening is the CB are isolating clubs by jst having one team go up. This will happen to them. That's a full restructure is needed and take 3/4 teams and move them together into dv1 together. Same with teams into dv2 and so on dwn along and get rid of dv5 totally. At least when 3:4 marginal teams move together they will end up hve 3 games that they hve greater opportunity of wining and gain good game time against Snr clubs. I know our club always looks to hve challenge games against clubs that are in a higher dv in either league or championship. It really is of benefit to the club. Get clubs to buy into it is also a huge task also.
Back to top Go down
lineball
Junior A
Junior A

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 am

Looks like Na Fianna are running away with div 3, Stacey cannon back playing with them and Michaela McKenna playing well would they be considered for a few euro for championship maybe I might put a bet on the bookies before the word gets out
Back to top Go down
Kylemore
Junior C
Junior C

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Yeah see that, cld be a handy few bob for you
Back to top Go down
lineball
Junior A
Junior A

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 12:14 am

Anybody know the pairings for league semis and when are they on? Is championship format changed this year?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 1:29 am

I don't know now... is the league off until after the exams now?

Didn't hear anything about a change of championship format either...
Back to top Go down
lineball
Junior A
Junior A

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 4:58 am

I hear its groups 2 groups of 3 with the top 2 going into semis and the bottom 2 play a relegation final
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 1:36 am

lineball wrote:
I hear its groups 2 groups of 3 with the top 2 going into semis and the bottom 2 play a relegation final

Jesus - back to reducing the amount of football teams get, after finally building up the grades a bit. What is the sense in that? Three games instead of five. Like what are they doing all the training for? Do we not want to encourage girls to play or what?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:49 pm

So yeah, did some investigating and apparently this is true. Which means some numb nuts came up with the idea but worse, and it always comes back to this, the clubs passed it.

So this year, for most senior clubs, there was a month of league football and there will be a month of championship football. That'll get the girls out alright after training all the year. Is this to just make it easier for everyone, to not have to work a bit to get players out?

I'm interested to know, what was the actual selling point? There is a negative in every way here. Every single way. Retrograde, regressive, backward. Back to the scenario you had when there were just two or three clubs in senior and intermediate. Joke shop.
Back to top Go down
lineball
Junior A
Junior A

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:25 pm

Last years structure was great each team played each other so each team had 5 games and then top 4 in semis, so there was plenty of football for the girls. Now some teams will be out after a few weeks and a nice long wait till end of September start October for minor championship, no wonder girls are opting to play soccer. It seems it's suited to cater for bigger clubs
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Anyone over 18 won't have a game again until April... Imagine offering senior teams around eight games in a year!

You're right - bigger clubs will manage, just as they will with the U16s because that is going to be carnage, moving that to June with holidays etc (not to mention exams before).

Of course it's really all about the county teams. That's why that U16 switch was made and I would say having to fit in more games would mess with the county seniors. Imagine if they had a sizeable ladies football county to administer, like Cork or Dublin!

But people have tried to argue these points in similar hair-brained cases over the years and been dismissed as cranks and trouble-makers. The clubs vote them in.

Yep - players playing soccer and rugby, where you have regular games. That's all people want.
Back to top Go down
lineball
Junior A
Junior A

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:02 pm

I don't think to many girls will be back training in the cold and wet nights in February next year for possibly 6-7 games of football
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 9:09 pm

Have we finals or semi-finals coming up?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 7:38 am

Semis & Finals immediatly after the Leaving cert exams I believe
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Do you have pairings kelf?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 11:50 pm

No, but in Div 1 I think its Lx v Larries & Balyna v Sash, with first named at home,,,,
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks... good to see the Sash making the step up. Generally, the gap between intermediate and senior, Division 2 and Division 1, is massive.

Still can't get over the disgraceful championship structure. Imagine purposefully hindering clubs' progress by giving them less games. Gone from home and away in league and round robin in championship to one round of league and two games in championship. Sometimes you wonder why you bother and then you check yourself and remember why. It's just a pity though, as things could be so much better.

Anyway, that was off point... who's favourites?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 11:25 pm

Ogie

Having been in the firing line for 11 years and making plenty mistakes in that time I try to refrain from commenting on the current board who are all doing what they consider best..... and I dont know what options were presented to the clubs....... so best I keep the trap shut,,,,,, for once !!!!

As holders Lx would be considered favs but Balyna will be rubiing their hands,,,,,,,,

Sash were very unlucky to lose by a point to Lx when most on the Lx line thought it was a draw. Lx were full strength while Sash were short at least 4 starters and 7 or 8 in all. I wont be taking odds as any of the 4 teams can win it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2015 Leagues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Leagues   2015 Leagues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2015 Leagues
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next