Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Club Football - What Can We Do

Go down 
+9
Hang sangich
Taibi
bloodsub
overthebar
SeamusMurphy
steviegenius
bag of white
bigball
Big Full Back
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

Club Football - What Can We Do Empty
PostSubject: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 10:58 pm

With the Senior League two weeks in and the Reserve League started this week, couldn't help but notice a number of clubs already pulling their second teams out of their respective Divisions. Coupled with a few heavy defeats in Div. 4 for some clubs, I sense there's a disconnect and it's something that the GAA and Croke Park should take note of. Is this as a result of the U-17s not allowed to play senior football or are lads just falling out of love for the game?? I fear for some clubs.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 11:24 pm

What clubs do you fear for? Club football in this county is alot stronger than most people give credit for.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 11:28 pm

i do think though we need to restructure the 2nd team competitions. at present it means next to nothing for clubs to win a 2nd team championship. personally i would have all teams whether they be a first second or third string play in the same championships. Some of the senior clubs could field second teams which would compete at intermediate level and the rest would be junior standard and would raise the standard of football across the board while giving lads who play second/ third team something worth playing for
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 9:47 am

bigball wrote:
i do think though we need to restructure the 2nd team competitions. at present it means next to nothing for clubs to win a 2nd team championship. personally i would have all teams whether they be a first second or third string play in the same championships. Some of the senior clubs could field second teams which would compete at intermediate level and the rest would be junior standard and would raise the standard of football across the board while giving lads who play second/ third team something worth playing for

That was the case 15 years ago. They stopped doing it when Moorefield and Leixlip's 2nd teams competed in the Junior final in 2002 I think. It was deemed unfair on small rural junior clubs to have to compete with 2nd teams from larger towns with a much bigger pick.

Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 11:25 am

The big problem i see is that there is a serious lack of numbers for most teams. My own club for some unknown reason put a third team in and the other night we only had 14 players for the second team that was including half of the so called 3rd team.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Fixing SFL matches midweek for 6.45pm is a joke.. for example, ellisttown had to travel to ballymore last Tuesday for a 6.45pm throw in.. do the CB not realise lads have to work.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 1:34 pm

They biggest issue I see with clubs not been able to field teams is the rule not allowing U17 players play with first or second team football. Minor leagues are at final stages now and due to be played at the end of april, but for the majority of U17 players their football is finished until minor championship starts at the end of july. Smaller clubs need these players to back up first and second team squads. Also its good for these lads to gain experience playing with different grade of players.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 3:55 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Fixing SFL matches midweek for 6.45pm is a joke.. for example, ellisttown had to travel to ballymore last Tuesday for a 6.45pm throw in.. do the CB not realise lads have to work.

This is a big issue. And there is absolutely no reason for it. No reason why round two of the league wasn't last Saturday and round three tomorrow evening. And now I see rounds 4 and 5 are fixed for Sunday's. I'd say 95% of club footballers would prefer to play at 6 o clock Saturday evening.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Why are SFL matches on next Wednesday evening and not on this Saturday evening ?.. can't understand it.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 5:35 pm

I presume it's got to do with the availability of county players. There was an agreement made that they would play at least four of the first phase of league games, the CB have to stand by their word hence why the games have been moved to allow them to play on Wednesday.

I've given up complaining about the way club football is run in this county, waste of time and energy. As long as the county set-up is happy, two fingers to everyone else.

Last edited by Taibi on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 6:19 pm

That's probably correct taibi.. tbh I can't see too many of them playing regardless.. it's some effort trying to get a team out midweek to travel for a 6.45 match, especially away.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 7:52 am

bigball wrote:
What clubs do you fear for? Club football in this county is alot stronger than most people give credit for.

It's more a fear that clubs will lose more players and where does it leave the game as a whole. Allenwood a senior club have pulled their second team out of the league. What does that do to lads not strong enough to make their first team or for young players trying to break through. Just one example where a club that four-five years ago had two teams in the junior league don't have any now so I just highlighting how in this example where No. 22-23 on your panel if you are lucky enough to have the numbers would st least get junior football weekly to keep them going and now in this case he probably will get little or any at all.
Regarding Div. 4 I heard that two teams are lightly to pull out because of numbers. Really trying to understand where it leaves the average player and what the further is for the clubs.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 pm

All reserve league games need to be played at the weekend. Its ridiculous to expect lads to race around the county on a Monday evening to get to a game. Play them on a saturday evening before the 1st team games. Clubs will not be under as much pressure then. Come on county board wake up!!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm

That's all fine bigball, but some clubs will be relying on lads for both matches.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 12:06 am

well i think its worth a go Seamus. im 99% sure all clubs will have bigger numbers if played on a saturday evening
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 2:36 am

bigball wrote:
well i think its worth a go Seamus. im 99% sure all clubs will have bigger numbers if played on a saturday evening

We're struggling to get one team out friend, regardless of what night it is.. That's grand for the bigger clubs.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 2:51 am

Are Monastervin struggling for numbers? hardly a small club
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 12:13 pm

bigball wrote:
Are Monastervin struggling for numbers? hardly a small club

Certainly not a big club.. in a small town with 2 club's.
Have had to amalgamate with nurney at underage due to the lack of numbers.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 pm

I hear Kildangan have lost a good few of their better players this year so that's why they've opted out of the Junior grade. They shipped 6-25 against Rheban last week so it's probably for the best.

There's nowhere near enough referees to play reserve and senior leagues on the same day. There's actually a massive shortage of referees in the county. Reading The Nationalist a few weeks ago - 24, I think was the number of clubs with no referee.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 6:46 pm

overthebar wrote:
They biggest issue I see with clubs not been able to field teams is the rule not allowing U17 players play with first or second team football. Minor leagues are at final stages now and due to be played at the end of april, but for the majority of U17 players their football is finished until minor championship starts at the end of july. Smaller clubs need these players to back up first and second team squads. Also its good for these lads to gain experience playing with different grade of players.  

Nah its fine shur they can play soccer for the summer.
Back to top Go down
Hang sangich
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 9:13 pm

So folks what are the early championship predictions? Any early favourites?
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Pity about Kildangan as they had a great result v Ballykelly last year. Hopefully we'll see them back soon. Same with Athgarvan, i know they are making strides at underage level so would be great to see them putting out a senior team once more.

My predictions:
SFC: Sash
IFC : Raheens
JFC: Ballymore
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 12:38 am

SFC. Athy.
IFC. St Kevin's.
JFC. Ballymore.
Back to top Go down
Pkmie
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 am

SFC. Athy
IFC. Monestrevin
JFC. Ballymore
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 11:19 am

I see more w/o in the reserve league's from Monday evening.. it's a big concern.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Football - What Can We Do   Club Football - What Can We Do Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Football - What Can We Do
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next