Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare Player of the Decade(s)

Go down 
+17
Taibi
Fear An Geata
LillieLad
OutTheGap
Jimmy winning matches
Flamingo
lilywhites on tour
Rex
Highball
Kildare98
steviegenius
murof
Botch
jim
Cilldara_2000
jobluts
kildaregaa365
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Empty
PostSubject: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2017 4:05 am

Running a little poll over the next six weeks on Twitter to select Kildare's Player of the Decade for the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90,s and 00's followed by a Grand Final poll in Week 6.

Starting this week with the '90s.   The short-list is (alphabetically!) Niall Buckley, Martin Lynch, Anthony Rainbow and Glenn Ryan.

Twitter polls only seem to allow four candidates before you all @ me !  Hard to leave out Dermot in particular but only there for the latter part of the decade. His day will come...

Vote on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/kildaregaa365/status/939532355718524928

I'll also do a write-up each week on kildaregaa365.com

http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/kildare-player-of-the-90s-have-your-say/
Back to top Go down
jobluts
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 am

Nuxer imo should not be considered. he decided to pack it in early.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 pm

jobluts wrote:
Nuxer imo should not be considered. he decided to pack it in early.

SMFH.

I'm not on twitter. If I was I'd go with Glenn.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Admin we need a mute button..
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 am

It's Glenn for me Kildaregaa365 he had it all. The heart of a lion.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 10:45 am

One short of 300 votes in Jim and it looks like most agree with you (54% to Nuckser’s 28%)

https://twitter.com/kildaregaa365/status/939532355718524928

Thought Nuckser might have been closer but perhaps the Sash lads are keeping off Twitter given the week that’s in it..
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Nuckers was excellent obviously and stylish but Rainbow for his consistent good performance is very close.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Glad to see Glen on top, only JD comes close to him in recent years imo. Outstanding in 92 Leinster final when we were being over run by Dublin when only 19 or 20 years old. Others that came through around the same time played their best football in Micko's second term but he was brilliant throughout the early 90's. Never thought we got the best out of Buckley or Lynch.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 pm

I think it depends what way you look at it for an all round player that digs in like a Roy Keane in Soccer then Glen Ryan for me but if it is for being an outstanding footballer like a Messi etc Niall Buckley all day.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 12:29 am

Botch wrote:
Nuckers was excellent obviously and stylish but Rainbow for his consistent good performance is very close.

Rainbow might get in the noughties short list he was around virtually for two complete decades! Tough competition in noughties too though. I’d hate to be the one trying to shortlist 4 per decade!
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 am

People used to give about Lynch in Micko's first period, but in his second era he was one of the leaders along with, well, Buckley, Ryan, Rainbow.

I always remember second replay against Meath 97, bucketing rain, Meath got a brilliant start and we were on our knees. Someone was taking a free in our half, Lynch dropped deep and said, 'Give it to me'. Soloed up the field and drove over a point from about 40 yards. He did stuff like that all the time – first game against Dublin the next year, absolutely destroyed their defence. Then the legendary pass for Murphy, the barnstorming performance against Kerry, leading the charge again v Dubs in 2000 replay.

Make no mistake, he did the state some service. But for me it's G Ryan. Possibly two best individual performances for Kildare I've ever seen were in 97 - Ryan v Laois, Buckley v Meath in first replay. Feely in Leinster final this year another barnstormer actually, it's up there.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Yep - Ryan for me aswell lads.

There is a case to be made for the other candidates (great discussion topic 365 !!) but would we have won Leinster in 98 without Ryan on board - Absolutely not - He drove that team onwards That's the clincher for me - We may have gotten over the line without any of the other three but I don't think we would have got there without our captain.

All 4 were wonderful gatekeepers of the white
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 am

Just a quick update with voting open until Saturday:

304 votes cast on Twitter (@kildaregaa365)

Glen Ryan 54%
Niall Buckley 28%
Anthony Rainbow 11%
Martin Lynch 7%

Looks like a runaway winner.

Pleased with the response to this.

Next up: the 1970’s.. so some of you might have to consult parents/grandparents!

Voting for that will open Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:32 am

Look forward to seeing who it is from 70s... Well before my time! Btw K65, if you ever get a chance to finish that overview of second half of 70s - golden generation part 2 as it were - would love to read it... Kudos again on recent 2017 overview, brilliant read.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 7:05 am

Don't think it could have been anyone else. The man was an idol to those lucky enough to have seen him at his peak. Tough as teak, unyielding, not a backward step taken allied with being a brilliant footballer who led that team through everything. He will forever be my favourite player and even though I'm not 20 years old anymore when I see him at matches I get star struck and remember how he led a County like a warrior.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 9:48 am

Glen Ryan was something special. Even in the early 2000s when he came to the end of his career, when he was brought off the bench the cheer our crowd would give and lift he'd give. In 2003 he came on in the Leinster final and the roar said it all. Sweetest moment was seeing him fire over a point against the dubs in 98. Savage moment.................
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 2:26 am

Glenn fully deserves it, but the poll also has a tinge of what could have been had Buckley had his longevity and focus.
In fairness if it was a poll on pure ability I don't think there is a contest. The man was a beast who could run through a lad, or sell a dummy solo and go...
Not arguing anything re Glenn, just a pity as I said we didn't see more of Nuxer.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 2:47 am

Nuxer wasted his talent. Plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 4:37 am

Lads I didn't put this up for some of our best players to get abuse.

If they get almost 1/3rd of 339 votes chances are they've had a pretty decent career with Kildare.

If this is how it's going to develop I'll stop now.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 4:46 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Look forward to seeing who it is from 70s... Well before my time! Btw K65, if you ever get a chance to finish that overview of second half of 70s - golden generation part 2 as it were - would love to read it... Kudos again on recent 2017 overview, brilliant read.

Part 1 put me in therapy for a month. Still recovering. Might leave part 2 for the book.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 9:49 am

kildaregaa365 wrote:

If they get almost 1/3rd of 339 votes chances are they've had a pretty decent career with Kildare.

Apologies on my end. Not my intention when I put it up.

I think the 00s will see us having to make a big call...
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 9:59 am

Flamingo wrote:
kildaregaa365 wrote:

Apologies on my end. Not my intention when I put it up.

I think the 00s will see us having to make a big call...

Wasn’t you I was referring to Flamingo. Yes the 00’s will be tricky with at least 2 very compelling candidates.. The current decade would possibly be even harder but I’m not doing that one for 3 years! 1970’s coming up from tomorrow and that might be closest of them all if anyone’s old enough to be able to vote!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 2:57 am

1970’s Poll now up and running : Carew Crinnigan Dunny or Mangan?

Write up here: http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/kildare-player-of-the-70s-have-your-say/

Poll on Twitter here:

https://twitter.com/kildaregaa365/status/942057510537744384
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 pm

So lads I’m struggling a bit with a noughties (2000-2009) shortlist outside of the obvious Johnny and Dermot.  Others coming into my thinking:

Leper
Rainbow (again)
Tadhg Fennin
Mick Foley
Emett
Paudie
Roli (in and out of team though)
Kavanagh

A number of the above really only peaked once Geezer came in.

I’m thinking Fennin and maybe Mick Foley or Leper? Rainbow again perhaps?

Help me out here..

Last edited by kildaregaa365 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Andrew mc Loughlin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Player of the Decade(s)   Kildare Player of the Decade(s) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare Player of the Decade(s)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next