Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Club Scene 2019

Go down 
+66
kelf
Smick12
Gaa1928
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Club fan
Curraghplains
Big Full Back
bite the pillow
fatherted
Dido
seamymurphy
jimmers
shortgrass1928
OutTheGap
Kildare-Tom
lilysavage
micky murphy
TheManInTheStands
john Boy
bloodsub
All down the line
Taibi
murof
realmoore
Botch
lily4fr
Kildare98
Tjmm
moatesports
the young lad
KildareGooch#
flourman
Ogie
riseytea
KE123
Dara
Caprea
Landro88
Ohtoohtobe
DONTPULLOUT
Flamingo
Seanymac
TheBigDog#
Cill Dara Abú
Cilldara_2000
steviegenius
Sashabu 71
jj
Fear An Geata
Badger85
Onechance
lillyboy
shortgrass
totalgaa
SeamusMurphy
Shay tompkins
maccie
Horsebox
Bigfullforward
intheback
if_in_doubt
kildarecat
John_R
Shergar
lomond
White Bridge
70 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
AuthorMessage
All down the line
Senior
Senior

Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 12:31 am

lilysavage wrote:
Would be interesting to see how an all Newbridge 15 would fare against a rest of Kildare selection. Would be a trial worth watching.

Would be very interesting, market and promote it well and a charity could do nicely out of it.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 am

I agree on the move to Wicklow let him make a few mistakes there and come back to Kildare with the lessons learned and the experience. Just like we did for McGeaney. Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 2:35 am

Was disappointed by Aaron Masterson performance over 2 games
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 3:51 am

Agree on Masterson, yesterday was the day to make his mark as our midfielder for the future.
Have to admire Davy Burke, he is building up a fine CV. A few posters here were too quick to condemn him for wanting the the senior job last year but it's a measure of the drive and ambition he has for Kildare. Expect Wicklow to improve significantly over the next year.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 am

Sarsfields play Eire Og (Carlow) in the Leinster club quarter-final with the winners playing Portlaoise or St Pats (Wicklow) From the draw it looks like both games would be away from home.

Interestingly Anthony Rainbow’s Ballyboden St Endas are odds-on for the Leinster club despite not having won the Dublin championship yet!
Back to top Go down
Club fan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 6:30 am

Newbridgeornowhere wrote:

He is still very young. I would be inclined to keep the faith. In fairness .he got absolutely no help the first game with his partner dropped for 2nd game.
Yesterday seemed to bypass him
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 am

Club fan wrote:

He is still very young. I would be inclined to keep the faith. In fairness .he got absolutely no help the first game with his partner dropped for 2nd game.
Yesterday seemed to bypass him
though Aaron played far better last year than this year
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 6:59 am

murof wrote:

Have to admire Davy Burke, he is building up a fine CV. A few posters here were too quick to condemn him for wanting the the senior job last year but it's a measure of the drive and ambition he has for Kildare. Expect Wicklow to improve significantly over the next year.

No-one condemned him for wanting the Kildare job, he just went about it all wrong. Ended up coming across as egotistical and arrogant. I for one was glad he was told where to go. A bit of humility and respect goes a long way.

He won a county title with the best group of footballers in the county with comparatively big resources behind them, he didn't win it with a Carbury or Naas standard team. A fine achievement no doubt but people are getting ahead of themselves on here.

He should be judged on his upcoming stint as a senior inter-county manager.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Taibi wrote:

No-one condemned him for wanting the Kildare job, he just went about it all wrong. Ended up coming across as egotistical and arrogant. I for one was glad he was told where to go. A bit of humility and respect goes a long way.

He won a county title with the best group of footballers in the county with comparatively big resources behind them, he didn't win it with a Carbury or Naas standard team. A fine achievement no doubt but people are getting ahead of themselves on here.

Before the championship started I would give said that Moorefield and Sarsfields had the best panels in the county but Moorefield, Athy and Celbridge had more players of inter-county standard than Sarsfields. Not much between the four in fairness. Having watched the semis and the final, I think Sarsfields have improved as regards workrate, teamwork, mentally, discipline and tactics. I'd give Davy Burke a lot of credit for that. Plenty of talented teams in Kildare haven't delivered over the years.

I don't know the ins and outs of his dealings with the county board but I think he'll learn more being manager of Wicklow than he would as selector with Kildare. I think the county board were right to go for Jack O'Connor this time given his track record and experience but Burke looks like being a contender the next time the job is available.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 8:19 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Taibi wrote:

Before the championship started I would give said that Moorefield and Sarsfields had the best panels in the county but Moorefield, Athy and Celbridge had more players of inter-county standard than Sarsfields. Not much between the four in fairness. Having watched the semis and the final, I think Sarsfields have improved as regards workrate, teamwork, mentally, discipline and tactics. I'd give Davy Burke a lot of credit for that. Plenty of talented teams in Kildare haven't delivered over the years.

I don't know the ins and outs of his dealings with the county board but I think he'll learn more being manager of Wicklow than he would as selector with Kildare. I think the county board were right to go for Jack O'Connor this time given his track record and experience but Burke looks like being a contender the next time the job is available.
I say their few retirements in Moorefield panel on way
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Johnny C - 'plenty of talented teams in Kildare haven't delivered over the years' - so true and also applied to the county team to be fair to Davy looks like he brought the workrate, teamwork, mentality, discipline and tactics to the table.... how many clubs and intercounty teams have got success by just increasing their workrate and getting rid of the celebrities...…. simple formula!
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 10:46 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Taibi wrote:

I say their few retirements in Moorefield panel on way

I would say so, however when they get over the disappointment of the last few days they should look back with a whole load of pride in what they have achieved over the last 10/15 years or so.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 12:00 am

Proposed new format for the SFC and IFC.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/sport/490799/kildare-gaa-new-sfc-and-ifc-format-proposed.html#.Xb1WngBfVcc.twitter

Certainly gives the first game a lot more importance.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 5:00 am

Will it stop the Newbridge dominance?
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 5:31 am

All down the line wrote:
Will it stop the Newbridge dominance?
Newbridge clubs set standards up to others to catch up
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 11:29 am

Where do they get these ideas? The format should be 4 groups of 4. Top 2 in each group into quarters. Bottom team in each in relegation playoff. Simple. We had this for 5 or so years and it worked well. Every game was significant unlike sham first round games of last couple of formats.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 11:33 am

lilysavage wrote:
Where do they get these ideas? The format should be 4 groups of 4. Top 2 in each group into quarters. Bottom team in each in relegation playoff. Simple. We had this for 5 or so years and it worked well. Every game was significant unlike sham first round games of last couple of formats.
a committee was setup
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 am

Well done to Anthony Rainbow on getting the victory with Ballyboden in the Dublin final today. Could run into Sarsfields in a Leinster final! Lots of water to go under the bridge before that happens though.
Back to top Go down
seamymurphy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 8:40 am

topcat wrote:
Well done to Anthony Rainbow on getting the victory with Ballyboden in the Dublin final today. Could run into Sarsfields in a Leinster final! Lots of water to go under the bridge before that happens though.

Sash will struggle with the 2 boys gone.
Back to top Go down
seamymurphy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 am

lilysavage wrote:

Agree completely.. keep it simple.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 pm

Congrats to Anthony Rainbow -Kildare legend.....
Don't know why we keep messing with the Championship Format...…. the additional rounds added in last few years after dropping the amount of teams in the league have done nothing to me for the players but have just added to the gate receipts to the county board...………….
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 1:04 am

Another terrible effort at a championship structure. Still after each team has played 4 games, there will only be 4 teams knocked out of the championship. That does nothing to cut down on the number of meaningless games. The best championship format we had was the one used between 2008 - 2010. 16 teams, open draw, play 4 rounds, top 8 through to quarter finals, bottom 4 into the relegation playoff. All final round games played at the same time. Points difference used to separate teams. You'd still have the same amount of games that's played now but a lot more riding on most games.
Back to top Go down
john Boy
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 3:05 am

the previous format was by far the best in my opinion. every team guaranteed 3 games and every game meant something. could afford to loose 1 game. wouldnt go for the 4 groups of 4 format as it will lead to dead rubber games, as we already saw it this years championship and also in the super 8
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 5:31 am

I disagree re format from 08-10 on a couple of points, score difference can’t be used to separate teams who have not had common opponents, this makes the luck of the draw even more relevant. Also there was no seeding at quarter final stage so two teams who had won all their games could end up meeting one another.

I think what we had from 12-17 was fine and the only real need for change was because county board needed more games to fill the coffers!!
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2019 7:07 am

No dead rubbers if winners of first 2 face each other in 2nd game. And finish bottom and youre in relegation playoff. Its very simple.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Scene 2019   Club Scene 2019 - Page 27 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Scene 2019
Page 27 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next