Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Club looking for new managers

Go down 
+31
TheBigDog#
gunnerman
Botch
FlourBag_1
Onhisboot
Southern Gael
The flour bags
Bert the Kebab
SplitThePosts
Jimmy winning matches
Curraghofkildare
Bigfullforward
Onechance
kelf
Feed the bear
Niallg1998
centreback
lomond
All down the line
Thin Blue Line
bloodsub
Badger85
GoDownOnIt
CILLDara 1998
Clubman
lilysavage
CillDara71
Moorefieldbhoy
Gaa1928
ClaneLillywhite
Curraghplains
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
gunnerman
Intermediate
Intermediate

Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2022 8:53 am

Any idea how much Pat Flanagan would be on to manage Sarsfield?Would he be the highest earning manager in Kildare ?
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2022 12:29 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Any idea how much Pat Flanagan would be on to manage Sarsfield?Would he be the highest earning manager in Kildare ?

You prob heard same as me.
Prob 30000.

As I said earlier. I am very close to walking away from gaa. I buy tickets. I support my club. But this is a joke
Back to top Go down
TheBigDog#
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2022 9:57 pm

Botch wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

You prob heard same as me.
Prob 30000.

As I said earlier. I am very close to walking away from gaa. I buy tickets. I support my club. But this is a joke

I heard he is on around 40k too. Anthony Cunningham is supposedly getting around 40k at Portarlington too. Crazy money if you ask me.Think Paul Bealin was on around 30k a few years ago when he was with Monasterevin
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2023 11:16 pm

Unfortunately this isnt surprising.
Being involved in a set up takes up a HUGE commitment at all levels and grades. Most clubs are well back already and have had S/C winter training on the go since well before christmas.

The pressure to succeed is greater than ever, demands have soared and supporters expectations are generally un obtainable. When you combine the expectations, commitment needed and the possibility of falling out with friends/family if it doesnt work out, you can see why many clubs look outside for a manager.

Its not right, i hate it and the monies involved are sickening. When you know how a 30k salary could fund so many underage teams and various infrastructure projects in a club, the thoughts of that money going to someone who is there to do a job for a year or two really doesnt sit right.

Not sure what can be done but its going to put clubs out of business for sure.

lily4fr, Shergar and Botch like this post

Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2023 12:08 am

Highball wrote:
Unfortunately this isnt surprising.
Being involved in a set up takes up a HUGE commitment at all levels and grades. Most clubs are well back already and have had S/C winter training on the go since well before christmas.

The pressure to succeed is greater than ever, demands have soared and supporters expectations are generally un obtainable. When you combine the expectations, commitment needed and the possibility of falling out with friends/family if it doesnt work out, you can see why many clubs look outside for a manager.

Its not right, i hate it and the monies involved are sickening. When you know how a 30k salary could fund so many underage teams and various infrastructure projects in a club, the thoughts of that money going to someone who is there to do a job for a year or two really doesnt sit right.

Not sure what can be done but its going to put clubs out of business for sure.

While its hard to disagree with the above, the managers role is now a 24/7 job, dealing with up to 30/40 players, selectors, trainer, physio's, committee members, media, supporters etc, this is the main reason that the day of the local club person being manager is nearly gone plus the amount of people you will fall out with is crazy.

Shergar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2023 1:52 am

Yeah thats what is so offputting... Its in all walks of life now, unrealistic expectations placed on people from people who shout from bar stools and do little to be in the firing line themselves.

We see it across all areas of life and it isnt just limited to the GAA.

Theres a huge amount of "keeping up with the jones" in terms of GAA management but for 95% of clubs who wont be "winning" each year, awarding vast amounts of monies to outsiders is one of the stupidest things a local club can do ... What a waste to line one mans pockets who has no affiliation to the club, community or area.

In saying that, ive never managed my club senior team but i do try to be as understanding to any management that come in as its essentially a thankless ask...

It will be interesting to see how it progresses overall.. Clubs really do struggle to fill positions. Wouldnt be surprised if we see more female representation in the coming years in various roles.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2023 4:16 am

Theres a whatsapp voice note doing the rounds that Flanagan was being paid 2.5k (25k for 10 months) for the meath club... Sarsfields must have gone with 30k anyway.... It must happen all the time.. Offers, counter offers... He was just left looking dishonourable and pathetic having taken the role and started it in effect.
Back to top Go down
CantonasCollar
Senior
Senior
CantonasCollar

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2023 1:40 am

Badger85 wrote:
Great move by Kilcock. Couple of big years ahead with a lot of talented young lads. All about staying up and consolidating senior status for them.

Davy will bring out the old hardness that was always in that team.

That's actually a bad move by Kilcock. They must have no money if they've gone for Davy Dalton. It'll be Mick O'Dwyer training and tactics with Dalton. He nearly got Sallins relegated to Junior a few years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if Kilcock get relegated this year.
Back to top Go down
wingback
Senior
Senior

Location : Two Mile House and Poulaphouca, Blacktrench, Cutbush and Boolea

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2023 11:28 pm

I’d be interested to know how do clubs Account and pay these lump sums? Is the payment subject to tax?
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 12:41 am

wingback wrote:
I’d be interested to know how do clubs Account and pay these lump sums?  Is the payment subject to tax?

Lol . I think we all know the answer.

No.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 2:50 am

wingback wrote:
I’d be interested to know how do clubs Account and pay these lump sums?  Is the payment subject to tax?

Revenue are already starting to clamp down on payments in other sports so it’s only a matter of time before they start looking towards the GAA and under the counter payments.

Other governing bodies are in the process of putting in place formal contracts for support staff such as physio’s, doctors, analysts, coaches, officials etc. Payments needing to go through the books in future is going to make it very awkward for a lot of these people as they need to either become part-time or casual employees, or register themselves as sole traders for tax purposes.

Going to be very interesting to see what would happen if a similar approach was taken with Revenue regarding the GAA. Surely they can’t target other sports bodies and ignore the GAA?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 4:42 am

I would assume that most of these managers are being 'sponsored' by local business people, nothing going through the clubs books.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 6:58 am

Maybe the way it works in the bigger clubs but certainly not the way it works in most clubs. There's a lot of cash floating around clubs, weekly lotto, maybe astro pitches being rented, hall rented out and gate receipts from league games. Easy enough to be creative with figures in that case.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club looking for new managers    Club looking for  new managers  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club looking for new managers
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4