Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grimley now heading to Meath?

Go down 
+12
KILL BILL
Onhisboot
kickingking
if_in_doubt
lilypremier
walsheman
Stonecold
Ogie
Big Full Back
Sam1928
AthyGAA
Rex
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Grimley now heading to Meath? Empty
PostSubject: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 am

The old rumour mill has been in full swing this week suggesting Seamus McEnaney is going down to Meath. It also appears he will be taking Grimley with him.

What's your opinion of this. Personally I have great time and respect of the big man, but he seems to be hawking himself around a bit.
This will be his third county in two years. He also left us because it was to far to travel, but he seems to be coming back our way again.

Either way, if we get by Micklow, himself and Seamus are going to be very disappointed again.

Last edited by JME on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AthyGAA
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:29 am

Grimley can go wherever he wants
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks for that insightful reply.
Back to top Go down
AthyGAA
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:35 am

no bother anytime
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 pm

I dont like the cut of McEananey. Dont know what it is about him but I wouldnt like to play for him.
Very harsh by Meath to dump their manager after they came so close to winning Leinster last year.

Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Yeah, heard it from a brother of one of the Meath players... McEnaney and his team are interested and its close to being called....
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm

It sounds a certainty - they have Harnan on board as assistant. I suppose Meath is the other side of Dublin. And while he'd be going to another county, he'd be following McEnaney. And he's more or less said now he'll never manage, he'll coach from now on. You mightn't like McEnaney but he did some job with Monaghan - he's an organiser and he just brings in quality to cover all that needs to be done - McElkennon is considered one of the top training/conditioning men around for example, as is Grimbo as a coach. I'd have no problem them going to Meath except that they will make them better. O'Brien was badly treated but that was the clubs reminding the board where the power ultimately lies if they put their mind to it. They were raging with not having a say in the "will we offer a replay" debacle.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 12:04 am

Monaghan were a terrible team over the last 6 years. I hated watching them and were an extremely cynical team that promised alot and won nothing. Their football standard was dire. Whilst I would be all for Grimly at the helm I dread to think what Banty will bring to Meath. If it transpires that's a fair few Northern boys plying hteir trade in Leinster.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 1:45 am

agree stonecold, never really rated Banty. He had some good players at his disposal also and threatened to win something but never really delivered.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 2:34 am

JME wrote:
Thanks for that insightful reply.
lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 3:57 am

fionnmccool wrote:
agree stonecold, never really rated Banty. He had some good players at his disposal also and threatened to win something but never really delivered.

Look where they were when he took over. Nowhere. And with Grimley on board, there was a little more culture about their football this year than before. The problem was the team had gotten old and they were sitting ducks against Kildare.

Of course Meath still don't have a defence or a reliable midfield so there's only so much you can do. But I'd say two or three years with Meath would see them better. Hard to stay three years with Meath mind you judging by the entire post-Boylan era
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 4:21 am

McEnaney will suit Meath's style of play. Big awkward players and pump in high ball into the full forward line.... Meath didn't have any speed up front this year... So his physical style will suit Meath... Still beat them next year hopefully....
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 4:36 am

Not sure what to make of it myself. Meath have always picked their own but the legacy of Boylan just won't go away. They keep looking at where they were and not where they are going.

No matter how good a Manager Banty is or how good a coach Grimley is he can't give the players the extra pace or skill they need right now.

Also because I have said they tend to keep to their own kind, if things don't go right in the first year I doubt they will keep him around. Just look at the way O'Brien one of their own was cut loose.

To me it's a no win situation because I can't see them winning Sam with the plaers the have, the problem is they expect to be contesting every year so if he does well it's only expected. if he fails he'll be given the boot sharpish. Unfortunately for them they seem to have hit a rough patch in regards players.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 6:58 am

Well JME.....

Back to top Go down
lilypremier
Senior
Senior
lilypremier

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 7:54 am

I dont like the McEnaney s FULL STOP!
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 8:32 am

Two years in row he'll be beaten by his former team then so for Paul.

Best of luck to him alright, wouldn't be the biggest fan of McEnaney to be honest, his management style will suit the type of players they have in Meath though. They'll be a lot more hard hitting and cynical under him, but with a limited number of players who can play with the ball in their hands around the rest of the field (forward line excluded), they won't be up to much next year unless they get a nice draw / route through the qualifiers.

Like others have mentioned it'll be a tough job to follow, in a county still living and playing in Boylan's shadow.

There seems to be a limited pool for them to choose from in terms of a potential candidate from within the county and to be fair to them the backroom team that McEnaney would bring with him would be one of the best they could hope to attract. Although if they haven't gone places within two years then there'll be no mercy shown in getting rid of whoever they bring in, even after just one year look what they did to O'Brien, a Leinster and a quarter final spot and still it wasn't enough for them.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 8:36 am

walsheman wrote:
Well JME.....

Doesn't quite work the second time Walsheman.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:53 am

JME wrote:
walsheman wrote:
Well JME.....

Doesn't quite work the second time Walsheman.
that comment was class though,came outta nowhere!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:53 am

Liam Harnan hardly covered himself in glory with Maynooth
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Did he win an intermediate with Maynooth? Also managed Skryne to win this years senior championship in Meath. together with MeEneaney and Grimley I think they would be a formidable line up in Meath, I wouldn't agree that Meath have a small pool to pick from, they are a big football county with a hell of a lot of clubs and players, I can see why it would be attractive for McEneaney,

Whatever they do i wouldn't be too concerned, wouldn't swap our set up for anyone!
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Wise words indeed e.s.b. - agree with everything you say, but I prefer if our neighbours Meath and Laois dont get any stronger. is the Meath management thing now a done deal?
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Hmm Eamon Barry is the dark horse up there
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 10:37 pm

e.s.b. wrote:
Did he win an intermediate with Maynooth?

Poor enough return for the talent he had at his disposal. His training methods were supposed to be from the dark ages altogether.

It wouldn't surprise me if Éamon Barry was returned. Meath are a very insular county and football folk there won't take kindly to an outsider like McEnaney taking over. I don't think they should have ever got rid of Barry in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:20 am

Confirmed last night, Grimley's 5th County in six years. After we're done with them next year he'll be looking for another one.

I am very grateful for what he did for us but he is in the Meath camp now which is basically trumped only by if he was with McNulty down below.

Sorry Paul, you were ok in Monaghan as they are not one of our closet neighbours and rivals now all bets are off.

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Some laugh, he's god one minute, not worth a fuck the next
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grimley now heading to Meath?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next