Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grimley now heading to Meath?

Go down 
+12
KILL BILL
Onhisboot
kickingking
if_in_doubt
lilypremier
walsheman
Stonecold
Ogie
Big Full Back
Sam1928
AthyGAA
Rex
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:09 pm

I don't see how a cross country trip to get to Trim centre of excellence (M1, Slane, Meath, Trim) is any shorter than getting to Hawkfield (M1, M50, M7)
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Good for him. I for one wish him all the best. He did a sterling job with us for the short time that he was with us.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Derfil wrote:
Good for him. I for one wish him all the best. He did a sterling job with us for the short time that he was with us.

Wellsaid, can' tbelieve people could think any differently. Has no connection to Kildare GAA, gave everything while he was with us. IWish him all the best on a personal level whle also hoping Meath win fuck all next year.
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 11:22 pm

I wouldn't begrudge him the chance to manage meath at all but i'm very disappointed he told all kildare poeple lies about travelling distances.i wonder what the real reason was? Perhaps felt we had reached our potential, glad he was wrong if so.

I also think the meath job is a great opportunity,he could really do well up there.(hope he doesn't).He should have went for it alone though cause banty hasnt a clue.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:40 am

I was a big fan of his but to me loyalty & trust are huge factors in any management set-up. 3 different counties in 3 years wouldn't inspire me if I was a Meath man and I'd need a bit of convincing.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 7:02 am

Don't think anybody is questioning him personally as I said i have huge respect for the man, but the facts are he is now in the Meath set up, only up the road from the County he said was too far to travel to.

Personally I wish him well, footballing wise I hope he has a nightmare.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 1:25 pm

First think i'll say about the appointment of Banty and Grimley is that they are walking into a cauldron up there in Meath.

Banty has brought with him almost a complete outside backroom team to a county where they are expecting to be lifting silverware and competing in All Ireland finals.
Its a big change from Monaghan for Banty and Grimley and Kildare where with both teams they were hoping to win big games, with Meath they are going to be expected to.
The pressure is going to be on them from the O'Byrne cup, make no mistake about it.
Banty and Grimley will not have experienced the level of expectation in any previous job.

They will want results and if not heads will roll due to them being outside men.

Can they handle it, i dont think they will.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:26 am

Can't see what all the fuss is about.... He's followed McEneany to Meath and it's his decision. Ok he said distance was an issue with KIldare and to be honest, he's travelling to Meath which isn't far for him and still is at least an hour shorter each way........ People come and go in backroom and management teams but one thing for sure it's all about the talent within the county that is the most important thing.... Good luck to him.... He was with McGeeney for a few years and has moved on now.... We should be moving on too....
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 3:06 am

Spot on BFB, the reaction here is a little bit of sour grapes. As he said, just a few months ago, he was the reason for Kildare's relative success last year. He's followed Banty... what's the deal? And look, whether travel was a reason or not for him giving up on Kildare, I don't think it matters - I always presumed that the reason he left was to have a crack at the Armagh job. The travel line was PR.

As for the pressure of the job, I can't see that being a problem. McElkennon has managed Derry, Grimbo has been at Armagh, Banty's managed in league and Ulster finals. And the expectation in Meath is no greater than it is in Kildare. So the Meath folk will be quick to turn if it goes ape - well I recall lads in Navan earlier this year roaring at McGeeney to fuck off back to Armagh - similar during league and similar after Wicklow. And the reaction on the forum, the majority of it was for McGeeney to fall on his sword. You can wish all the ill luck and pressure on them on the world, but it's a job and a good one to get and they know what's waiting for them if they don't do the business. What they have to do is find a couple of backs and a midfielder obviously, but they will work on the defenders even that are there, make them tighter, they have the forwards to be in the last four or eight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 3:34 am

Ogie i dont know if you were aiming the comment at me or not but anyways I never wished ill Luck or pressure on them.
I was pointing out my reading into the whole Meath manager position and what I thought on the lads coming into the job.
I still feel that they are walking into a cauldron

Eamon O'Brien won the counties first Leinster in 9 years this year, he reached the All Ireland Semi final the previous year and he bit the bullet when it came to a vote from the clubs.
In 2 seasons in chagre he reached an All Ireland Semi Final and Won a Leinster and he was sacked.
In 3 seasons in Kildare, McGeeny's highlights are beaten Leinster finalists and an All Ireland semi final and he's been resigned for 3 further years.
There is a completely different thinking in Meath than in Kildare.
Every manager they have had since Boylan in being compared to him and the sucess he brought.

i dont know how you can say the expctations in Meath are no different in Kildare.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 am

McEnaney has walked into a cauldron but if you want a strong character well he's the man... He's no connection in the county so it's a clean slate for him.... Yes Meath have a different way of doing things... The stalling on choosing him comes from the top table... Some insider knowledge informed me the chairman is anti outsider and wanted it kept in the county.... Lets see 12 months time was he right or not....
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 4:10 am

No sour grapes it's just a simple equation. If he does well this year then it means they have beaten us in Leinster and that is something I don't fancy. So it's either him or us and I know who I'll be backing.

If they go out to us the pressure will be huge on them,winning Leinster was not enough, going out in the quarters would be deemed a disaster.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 2:23 am

ah well that's fine, obviously we don't want Meath to do well because it might mean we didn't.

First things first - O'Brien didn't lose his job because of what he didn't achieve, he lost it because of the board's refusal to consult the clubs during the consideration of whether or not to offer a Leinster final replay.

And while O'Brien won a Leinster, it wasn't considered amongst the clubs of Meath as being a victory. Meath reached the All-Ireland semi-final two years before as they had done two years before that again... but the same weaknesses are considered to be there, while there were gripes too about some of O'Brien's substitutions. The consensus in Meath though is that it was a shot against the bows of the board and nothing personal against O'Brien. He'd have kept the job in normal circumstances.

I'd have no worries about Banty and pressure. And as for saying that walking into Kildare was completely different to walking into Meath that comment is laughable in fairness. The expectations here are mental, even when the county is shit, or when it's average, or not bad or good. And the set-up he came in with was more high profile and more outside. Banty's one will have two Meath selectors, and will have Giles in the backroom staff as well.

Look, it might all go tits up but it nearly did in Kildare too. Jimmers last second goal v Cavan, a very sweet draw in the Qualifiers saved '08, '09 was decent, the burn-em-at-the-stake folk were out again in '10 before things clicked... you need a whole pile of luck to go with your expertise. So Meath might do it, or they might not. I don't think Grimbo or Banty will feel under any greater pressure than they have before. If they didn't believe they had the goods to do it, they wouldn't be trying. Meath are one of those teams who you expect to make a play maybe for a Leinster, last eight or last four. They are not contenders for an All-Ireland right now but then I wouldn't have had Down in that bracket at the beginning of the year, even if I had them top eight. I had Kildare top four but I think now that there was a great chance to win an All-Ireland. It's what makes it all very exciting.

Cork for me next year by the way, if you want to know.
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:47 am

who gives a fcuk where grimley goes. this is a bitchy thread that doesn;t affect us !
Back to top Go down
lilypremier
Senior
Senior
lilypremier

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 8:16 am

well said carburyman. we should concentrate on our own lads.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 am

Bigger world out there than just us, if you don't like the topic don't post in it.

Anyway it's the quiet period, so subject matters to discuss are few and far between.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grimley now heading to Meath?   Grimley now heading to Meath? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grimley now heading to Meath?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2