Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Club Championship Draw

Go down 
+27
hope
Big Full Back
butterfingers
Ogie
homerj
lastline
kartman
overthebar
GaaHead
mrblobby
Taibi
Rex
ChopperDalton
centreback
tomcruise
TheBigFullForward
Lily8
Sam1928
steviegenius
paddymartin
Ballsofsteel
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
Loads of Pints
naked-lilly
walsheman
Fear An Geata
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 5:07 am

tomcruise wrote:
Firstly , I cannot understand why league matches are on Good Friday at 5pm.A lot of players are working on Good Friday ( a case of having to ) so the matches would have been better timed at 7pm.

I know that not everyone in Kildare is a horsey fan , but again I think that the championship matches should not be on the Punchestown weekend.This is one of the biggest events in the Kildare sporting calendar ( if not the biggest ) and clubs have organised fundraising events around the races.This should be taken into consideration.I know clubs are changing their games to Fiday night to get around the mess that has been created.

Anyone in agreement ?

no i wouldn`t pick any festival or any other sporting event over football
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 7:55 pm

I wouldnt agree either about racing and I work in the bloody industry and will be at Punchestown. Give me football any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Sam 1928

Point taken.If I worked in the horse racing industry , I might not have the same gra for the racing.But considering I grew up in Naas and went to school there , Punchestown becomes a part of your life and tradition etc.I wouldn't miss it for anything.

I would like a serious challenge to Moorefield this year and I think that the Larries might give it a go.I have a sneaky feeling that Carbury will do very well this year also.Maybe I am dreaming but there is something in the water this year..And you can never rule out the Sash ; they are always thereabouts.Athy have a bit to prove but they have the potential.And not forgetting Celbridge.It will be interesting.
Back to top Go down
paddymartin
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 10:30 pm

For those of you trying desperately to organise your weekend around football, I have one fixture for you so far:

Intermediate championship

Ballykelly v Ellistown
Nurney v Confey

In Athy on Sunday afternoon 08th May - exact throw in times unknown as yet
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Horse racing and football are too of the most important things in Kildare, they are part of our heritage and tradition. If possible the two shouldnt have to clash over the punchestown wkend.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 10:56 pm

tomcruise wrote:
Sam 1928

Point taken.If I worked in the horse racing industry , I might not have the same gra for the racing.But considering I grew up in Naas and went to school there , Punchestown becomes a part of your life and tradition etc.I wouldn't miss it for anything..

Funny that, I grew up in Naas went to school there as well and I have no interest in Punchestown, should people who think the same be stopped from playing . The phrase "you can't have your cake and eat it too" springs to mind.
Personally I don't think Punchestown is as important to the local population as it was 20 years ago. Very few people get time off for it now. It became to expensive.

Anyway I digress, this argument raises it's head every year. If I remember lads were giving out that they had to play matches the weekend of Oxygen. So where do you raw the line.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 am

If lads were that serious about the Championship they should'nt be drinking anyway
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:38 am

Taibi no one said anything about drinking its the timing of the first round that is the problem as a few of the lads said Punchasestown and Football are very important to Kildare to the businesses in Kildare they should not come on top of each other. We knew a year ago when Punchasestown was on i just think a bit of common sense should of being shown. I can guarantee that they would be no football for the Galway races or any other important sport meeting around the country.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 1:00 am

steviegenius wrote:
Taibi no one said anything about drinking its the timing of the first round that is the problem as a few of the lads said Punchasestown and Football are very important to Kildare to the businesses in Kildare they should not come on top of each other. We knew a year ago when Punchasestown was on i just think a bit of common sense should of being shown. I can guarantee that they would be no football for the Galway races or any other important sport meeting around the country.
correct their no matches on that weekend when galway races are on
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 4:57 am

as rex says where do ya draw the line lads the tri athy has become very big around athy over the last few years should no football be played that weekend either and as said there is oxygen and the derby in the curragh. the dates for football are far and few between without cancelling weekends for other sporting events
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 6:20 am

well in fairness punchestown is the biggest out of all them and as somebody said already clubs even have fundraisers planned around it. it shouldn't be on the same weekend.
Back to top Go down
mrblobby
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 8:22 am

there's no reason why the championship couldnt have been played the following weekend and the league fixtures for same weekend moved to mid week!

No reason at all.... or is there??
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:05 am

the kildare senior team are away the following weekend mr blobby this was booked,
lily 4 life id say oxygen is bigger
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:25 am

mrblobby wrote:
there's no reason why the championship couldnt have been played the following weekend and the league fixtures for same weekend moved to mid week!

No reason at all.... or is there??

the kildare senior team are away the following weekend mr blobby this was booked,

The reason is simple - Kildare are in championship on May 22 - it wouldn't have been possible to have the games the weekend before.

The lads aren't away that weekend. They are in camp from next Wed until Bank Holiday Monday.

Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:55 am

ah lads, why is the GAA always the poor relations concerning fixtures, be it league or championship its still the same, blame the fixtures committee for making fixtures on this week end or that week end when punchestown, curragh and naas racing or oxygen is on. If your a true gaa person these other events should'nt affect you as your club should come first. I know people have other interests but this is coming into the busy part of the year for clubs with underage leagues, adult teams in full swing coaching and gaa summer camps also on the horizon. If the dog had kittens the GAA would get the blame for it.......... it is also far to easy to have games called off,on a whim from a team manager or club official. Clubs should adhere to fixtures where possible and show a bit more respect and understanding for fixture committees. I know that fixtures are made in soccer and rugby and the fixtures fulfilled and thats it, no cancellations unless there's a earthquake or something very important that merits a game called off.....!!! anyway thats my rant over for the night, enjoy the sunny easter weekend and remember tomorrow is a fast day..... sunny Sleep
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 am

a fast day eh??

hopefully it will be a bit quicker than thursday Shocked
Back to top Go down
mrblobby
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 10:41 am

Fair enough re the weekend away.... maybe drop round 1 so and just play the three rounds closer together? Anyway its done now so we may all just get on with it!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 10:14 pm

"Funny that, I grew up in Naas went to school there as well and I have no interest in Punchestown"

Rex, id imagine you would be in the minority there, as well as lads looking to go to Punchestown to enjoy it for others its the opportunity to get a weeks work, which will be jumped at these days in particular. 90% of the people in my class would go to or work at punchestown and practically all of the Naas/Ballymore/TMH/Eadestown/Kill teams will be hoping to attend or be working for the festival.

In hindisight the games should have been on next weekend, that would have given Geezer his three weeks to the Micklow game and bring them to where ever he likes, and lads are free then for Punchestown and also 3rd level exams...
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 4:06 am

I think championship times and venues were out this weekend.Anyone have them all?
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 7:12 am

Heard most of them are on Friday night? No races for us Friday so.
Not sure if it's true though. I think Sunday would suit most better.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 am

st.kevins and celbridge is on the sunday at 3 in rathcoffey
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 pm

clogherinkoe v's castlemitchell @7 in hawkfield friday.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:39 pm

any sign of all the fixtures being released????
Back to top Go down
homerj
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:14 pm

i live 5 minutes outside of naas and have never been to punchestown or oxegen and i'm definitely in the minority!!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 8:11 pm

walsheman wrote:
any sign of all the fixtures being released????

Need to know basis... once you have it on the morning of the game, that's plenty of time to get ready
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship Draw   Club Championship Draw - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Championship Draw
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next