Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Challenge match

Go down 
+33
carburyman
cilldara
Oneill
kickingking
tomcruise
sillycow
steviegenius
Lily8
walsheman
CluabĂș
midfieldmaestro
flourman
lomond
Yellow Pearl
lastline
Come on the Boys in Blue
stanley
KILL BILL
Big Full Back
jobluts
Square Ball
Stonecold
Taibi
MD
ChopperDalton
tomoneillandhissisteranne
GaaHead
overthebar
rgb
Lilly07
Derfil
kartman
TheBigFullForward
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Challenge match - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 7:55 pm

stanley wrote:
According to Oisin McConville on sunday game last night we are playing great behind closed doors, from what he seen of Kildare playing Armagh in a challenge match he tipped us to win leinster.

Nice one , the heat off us Wink
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 8:17 pm

yeah i heard from a supporter who was asked to leave this game last thurs in hawkfield. its a cheek if you ask me. what happens next sunday. will the co management try and control who goes to this game also and maybe even where they will sit. after watchin the sunday game last night oision mcconville got to see the game and he is from armagh. where are these lads goin to get off. i had a text from one of the co players a few weeks back asking did i want tickets for the c/ship match. i didnt reply as i will get them from my own club. is it not a bit ott this secrecy thing. at the end of the day if they are good enough to win an all ireland they could train out in the middle of the curragh and it should not matter. kilkenny do get massive crowds to there trainin sessions and i have not seen much problems on there front.
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 8:37 pm

A week to go to the only important game of the year so far and some people are off already. Some people just can't help themselves. IF it wasn't a closed doors challenge game it'd be the black tripes on the shorts, or the way Geezer stands on the sideline or the way they warm up.

If management decided they want to play a secret challenge game, well then thats the way it is. Yeah Kilkenny may well train in front of 3000 and Dublin may well do the same. BUt both these counties have been winning Provincial and National honours on a regular basis. LEts not forget what happened Kildare with the hype in 98.

The Geezer haters are all lined up in a row already, knives sharpened and all the bar stool catch phrases are ready to be lashed out on the way out of the game Sunday - IF things don't go to plan.

Anybody here that thinks Kildare are the only county that plays these covert challenge games - is fooling themselves. It goes on all over the country. And if that what it takes to fine tune this team, well then so be it.

These players don't owe anybody anything, they are focussing on winning something for all the blood, sweat and tears that THEY have shed. For putting THEIR lives on hold for the past number of years.
And if there were a few noses out of joint because they werent allowed into Hawkfield to see the game. Then so be it. IN China thats called..............TOUGH S*IT!
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Is there any truth in the rumour that Tomas O'Connor is going to start full forward next weekend agaisnt Wicklow?
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:12 pm

He played there against Armagh for first half - and did quiet well, was involved in each of the 3 goals.
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:49 pm

I'd certainly like to see him playing - think he woudl be very dangerous in the full forward line - I also think he might be an option at midfield if we are struggling in that area as he is a superb fielder of the ball.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Excellent fielder of the ball but not sure if he does enough from open play when playing midfleid
Back to top Go down
CluabĂș
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 11:52 pm

He's got a great leap alright. I heard a rumour that Conor Brophy could be starting midfield with Flynn. Any truth in this. What about Hugh Lynch or Rob Kelly, surely they are two strong midfield options.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 12:15 am

CluabĂș wrote:
He's got a great leap alright. I heard a rumour that Conor Brophy could be starting midfield with Flynn. Any truth in this. What about Hugh Lynch or Rob Kelly, surely they are two strong midfield options.
no midfield will be o'neill and flynn,heard brophy cud be wing forward though
Back to top Go down
CluabĂș
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 12:30 am

I'm a paudie fan but not convinced as a midfielder!
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:13 am

Same here I'd rather Lynch in the middle than O'Neill.
I thought Tomas O Connor would have got a chance to play there during the league.
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:11 am

Eveyones hearing rumours,they will all be flying around Laughing

For me it would have to be Hughie and Flynn midfield. Paudies work in half forward line is vital.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:13 am

I think we could be in line with a few surprise starters on Sunday
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:27 am

the kildare backbone should be: 3. foley (best of a lot for full back)
6. gary white (best centre back in the county since glenn)
8. flynn ( best midfielder we have)
9. o connor ( big,strong,good hands worth a chance)
11. doyle (legend, but doesnt get the service in the fullforward, at 11 he is always in the play.
14. smith (our best scoring forward,needs to be close to the goals).
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:42 am

sillycow wrote:
the kildare backbone should be: 3. foley (best of a lot for full back)
6. gary white (best centre back in the county since glenn)
8. flynn ( best midfielder we have)
9. o connor ( big,strong,good hands worth a chance)
11. doyle (legend, but doesnt get the service in the fullforward, at 11 he is always in the play.
14. smith (our best scoring forward,needs to be close to the goals).

Couple of your points need backing up here Sillycow.

Hard to argue with Foley at 3 as he's played there a few times this year and done well.

Gary White the best centre back since Glen. Were in the name of jaysus have you pulled that from??
Sure he's hardly played in the position (if ever) for the seniors. Complete over rating by you me thinks!

And since when is Smith our best scoring forward?? He hasn't done a tap since the All-Star nomination a couple of years ago. IMO he'll be lucky to start on Sunday.
But I'd like to hear how you arived at that conclusion?
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:50 am

Training must be going well if guys from the fringes are pushing for starting roles. Would like to see Brophy feature at midfield at some stage on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
CluabĂș
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:51 am

I agree with newbridge man. Smiths been to quiet to justify a start for me. Lethal when he get going but he hasn't got going this year.

Gary white i think is a super footballer but best center back since Glen Ryan???? no sure about that.

Johnny not getting ball. Not sure if he'll be quite as effective at center forward considering Paudie does a good job.

I'll give you Flynn and Foley and yes Tomas o'connor is 'big,strong,good hands....' but maybe not the answer for midfield. Hugh Lynch gets my vote
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 3:13 am

Connolly

McGrillen
Foley
Fitzpatrick or Mac Lochlainn

Morgan Flats
Chalky
Bolton

Flynn
O'Neill

Brophy
Eoghan Flats
Leper ( if not available Kavanagh will play here )

Doyle
Kavanagh ( if moves out to 12. Smith will start here )
Dowling

Team will not be a million miles away from that.......
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 5:14 am

Connolly
McGrillen, Foley, McLoughlin
M Flats, White, Bolton
Flynn, Lynch
Kavanagh, O'Neill, E Flats,
Smith, Kelly, Doyle

Obviously if Callaghan's fit he'll be there somewhere but all rumours seem to suggest he won't be.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 5:19 am

1 -> 8 are fairly certain barring injuries (Connolly, McGrillen, Foley, McLoughlin, O'Flaherty, White, Bolton, Flynn).

9 -> 15 is anyone's guess. Only JD and Leper (if fit) would be certain starters. Flynn probably favourite for the 9 jersey.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 5:32 am

heard fitzpatrick is pushin for the corner u have mcloughlin in
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 8:03 am

gary white is the best centre back since glenn ryan, name me a better one???

smithy is our main scoring forward (from play), without his goal scoring ability we are very limited regarding getting goals.

i think our full back could be in trouble on sunday, wicklows long ball will cause us problems, lets hope we can win midfield and exploit there poor defense.
Back to top Go down
Oneill
Junior A
Junior A
Oneill

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 9:11 am

Heard that Davey Whyte played full back in a couple of recent challenge games and by all accounts played well and in serious contention to start at no.3 on sunday,

Anyone shed any light on this?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 9:18 am

walsheman wrote:
heard fitzpatrick is pushin for the corner u have mcloughlin in

For all the stick McLoughlin has taken down the years we always go back to him. I've yet to see a better option for the no4 jersey anyway. Fitzpatrick was unfortunate to miss the league through injury. It would be a big gamble to start him but then again McGeeney has done it in the past with mixed results - Kelly last year, Cribbin in '08.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 9:28 am

There will be a good few surprises come Sunday regarding the team and its layout.
One big surprise might be in midfield. Watch this space.
Fogarty is suppose to be pushing hard for a starting spot up front also.

Regarding the issue of the best centre back since Glen Ryan. Gary White is an excellent footballer, but should we not see him play there before we say he's the best centre back since Glen.

Would the fact that Bolton has played there and got an All Star nomination in this position as well as a GPA award for this position not suggest that he's been an excellent centre back also?
The mind boggles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Challenge match   Challenge match - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Challenge match
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next