Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup?

Go down 
4 posters

International Rules
International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Vote_lcap63%International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Vote_rcap
 63% [ 10 ]
best players playing Railway Cup
International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Vote_lcap37%International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Vote_rcap
 37% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Empty
PostSubject: International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup?   International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 7:40 am

Would you rather see International Rules in October or a properly run Railway Cup series with the best players taking part?

I know there are other issues such as: How would you fit it in around club games to ensure availability of all players?
International Rules is financially more lucrative.

But what games would you rather watch?
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup?   International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:44 am

International Rules, its a novelty event that's very popular so why change it?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup?   International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:08 pm

I like the international rules but I fear the reduction in physicality has neutered it.... I'd prefer the Railway Cup if it's the best players playing and it's not played at 9pm Christmas Eve in Ballyteague.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup?   International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 5:27 am

Ogie wrote:
I like the international rules but I fear the reduction in physicality has neutered it.... I'd prefer the Railway Cup if it's the best players playing and it's not played at 9pm Christmas Eve in Ballyteague.

Ah come on Ogie.... We'll accommodate anyone down Lark country.... Maybe Christmas Eve might not be the best day!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup?   International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 9:46 am

I disagree with you there Ogie. I think that the reduction of violence (rather than 'physicality') has added to the game. It got to the stage where the ball wasn't even thrown in and there was boxing. Now I love a good melee in a game as much as the next lad but dislike it when the melee is the main event. Aussie Rules is a skilful game, Gaelic Football is a skilful game. I think the hybrid compromise rules allows both codes showcase these skills on a bigger stage. Neither need the boxing that came with it to sell tickets.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup?   International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 12:46 pm

no insult intended BFB! I just keep getting lost heading there....

LHI - reduction in violence = good, reduction in physicality = bad and there wasn't an ounce of intensity last year because the Aussies were afraid to do anything out of line even though they could legally smash us with the tackle.

Interesting that Geezer is working on the intensity in the tackle with the Irish. Half of the problems with what happened in 2006 was that after what had happened the year before in Oz, the Aussies were on their best behaviour after listening to our complaints about thuggery (and to be fair, Chris Johnson started then end of Mattie Forde's career down there with a savage attack). So we battered them, including one brilliant - and fair - hit by Geezer himself. There were a couple of others that weren't so legal. The kicking in the ankles drove the Aussies apeshit altogether! So then they turned the tables on us. And that conveniently caused everyone to overlook the fact that when the football started, they were better than us at that too.

I think any contact sport needs physicality. Punish the thuggery properly, but don't threaten to pull the thing if there's a scrap. Just punish the guys involved. I hope there's a lot more physicality this time. Physicality and speed are the making of this game but if it's as brutal as last year, I'll definitely go for Railway Cup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup?   International Rules or best players playing Railway Cup? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1