Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

4 Kildare players on International rules training squad

Go down 
+17
Rex
kildaregaa365
Lily8
Big Full Back
clonmullin
Botch
learmus
GaaHead
Taibi
TheBigFullForward
Fear An Geata
centreback
Jimmy winning matches
parcel
shoutitout
midfieldmaestro
Ogie
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Empty
PostSubject: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 3:12 am

A provisional panel of 31 has been named including four Kildare players. Rob, Leper, Tomás and Bolts. There are also six Aussie-based lads. Panel will be reduced to 23.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=1400
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Anyone have any insight into how these 4 Kildare players were chosen?

I would have thought that Daryl Flynn, James Kavanagh and Mick Foley would have had the required size and strenght as possible candidates. Was it that they were still involved with club championship?

I know Bolton was involved previously which I think was good for him. I hope Tomás O'Conor makes the final panel as I think he could be abit of a secret weapon in near the goal to get marks!

I think it would be a great experience for all of the players to get a trip to Aus so fingers crossed (with Geezer involved in selection) that they will all make over.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 pm

They've been training for a good while but I don't know how many were called up and what players were cut, or what players weren't asked. I'd say Mick would have been focussed on Athy anyway
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 pm

Emmet Bolton has been named - they named 18 of the 23 today for some reason. They're talking about injuries but who ever heard of 3/4 of a panel being named?
Cluxton is captain. I'd say Bolton's brand of play, his hardness but much more importantly, his ability to go forward from a deep position is highly valued in international rules...

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=1427
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Well done to Emmet, he has being close the last couple of years but always seemed to lose out at the end. Hope he gets game time now.
I think the reason only 18 were named is due to some of the players still being involved with their clubs. No point in naming a lad and then he has to pull out.

Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 12:17 am

Fairly sure Bolton played the last time it was on
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 6:53 am

Not 100% Jimmy but pretty sure although he made the squad last year he never actual got on the pitch.

Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 7:33 am

he was standby player last year he re placed micheal shields in frist test was who was playing in cork county final that day
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:06 am

both bolton and kavanagh got game time last time it was on very little game time but they did get on
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 am

Is Bolton not hurt at the moment. He played against Monasterevin last week clearly hampered by an injury.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 am

centreback wrote:
both bolton and kavanagh got game time last time it was on very little game time but they did get on
emmet came on a short period in limerick and james scored a goal in croke park
Back to top Go down
TheBigFullForward
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 am

James kavanagh got married last wkend, possibly that's the reason he wasn't considered?
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 9:48 am

Read today that Tomas O' Connor is on stand by along with Eamon Callaghan and Rob Kelly.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 4:02 am

Yeah, the other 12 or 13 players that were on the extended training squad are in contention for the five remaining spots on the panel... It's the maddest thing I've ever heard. Lads don't know what's going on. Just name the squad. If lads have to pull out, so be it. Presumably Tohill, Geezer and co know what five they want to bring but they want to see if lads get through games and recover from injuries. I think Rob got a concussion I heard somewhere. But as someone else said, they named Darran O'Sullivan and he went off in a county championship game last week with the hamstring again. So I just don't understand it.

Anyway, apart from all that, hope some of the lads get the nod, I'd say Leper is really made for the game with his intelligence and good angles of running. Tomás would be an obvious target man.
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Hearing that Eamonn Callaghan has made the final 5.... Rob Kelly & Tomás O'Connor didn't...
Back to top Go down
learmus
Intermediate
Intermediate
learmus

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Personally I think it's great for the lads that get picked, it's great to see them representing the country. However can't help but feel a bit nervous about the possibilities of any our players picking up serious injuries after a long hard season! Touch wood.....
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 3:21 am

I am worried about players like Bolton getting burnt out. These lads need to do nothing for 2 months but relax.
Back to top Go down
clonmullin
Junior A
Junior A
clonmullin

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 6:37 am

Darren Frehill is saying that 4 of the 5 spots are filled and that Leper has gotten one of them. Brendan Murphy and Zack Tuohy got two others. I've forgotten who he said the fourth was
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 am

colm begley was the fourth... I did reckon the type of game that international rules is suits a player of Leper's intelligence and versatility
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 9:19 am

Saturday, 15 October 2011 20:56
Ireland manager Anthony Tohill has called four more players into his International Rules squad to travel to Australia next week.

Carlow's Brendan Murphy, Eamonn Callaghan from Kildare and Laois pair Zach Tuohy and Colm Begley have all been selected for the two test series.

There is now just one official place still left in the 23-strong travelling party, but that will be filled in the coming days.
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Congratulations to Callaghan for getting selected. The more Kildare players the better (once they don't get injured). Callaghan has good pace and determination which will probably be importatnt.

I did originally think a full forward line of Donaghy and T O'Conor would be something worth seeing and just lob a few balls in to them to put the Aussies under pressure.

Could be abit of a backlash from the rugby loss to Ireland and I'd imagine they would like to beat us in this game. Worrying if Cluxton doesn't play - a good keeper is a huge part of this game with good kick-outs. Might be worth looking at putting a non-goalkeeper in goals if Cluxton doesn't make it!
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Heard oz have a load of rookies playing so dont think they are taking it too seriously if that is the case?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 3:07 am

sure it was the same the last time and for a few years before that.... They stopped picking their All-Australian team a long time ago when it became clear that their best key position players in attack and defence were too slow for the Irish. So they have gone for a mobile team in the last few years. Of course we think they're huge but as far as they'd be concerned, they'd be putting out a small, running team.

I think only four players have played IR before but Stephen Milne is one of the best goal sneaks in AFL and is around 29 or 30. While there were a lot of kids the last time, it must be said that they did have the likes of Adam Goodes and Dane Swan, two Brownlow medallists.

It would be fair comment to say that the junket abroad is more enticing than playing at home at the end of long season and it is very evident that it means more the the Irish players than the Aussies as there would be a lot of midfielders like Chris Judd, Nick Dal Santo and Jimmy Bartel who would be outstanding at IR if they were of a mind to play.

As we have seen though, the Aussie skill set has improved significantly and I would still say we're underdogs
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Two Kildare players with championship game time to attend AFL trails in limerick for Carlton...
Seen this in paper today
Back to top Go down
learmus
Intermediate
Intermediate
learmus

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Anyone see Bolton's injury, just saw him going off on a stretcher, hopefully it's not too serious! Great to see Leper scoring
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4 Kildare players on International rules training squad   4 Kildare players on International rules training squad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4 Kildare players on International rules training squad
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next