Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare senior panel 2014

Go down 
+18
Ogie
Cilldara_2000
overthebar
Loads of Pints
Flamingo
Ahlethimout
kickingking
losthope
Gaa1928
micky murphy
lillyboy
the young lad
SeamusMurphy
jimmers
if_in_doubt
OutTheGap
kildaregaa365
murof
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 12:13 pm

The new man needs to hit up the big clubs more for players.
I don't know what is the personal circumstances but when the IFC champs have more on the panel than the likes of Moors, Sash, Athy and Larries there is something up.
Glad to hear of trials. Love to see lads like Glavin and Mulhall come in and do the business.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 12:29 pm

lads, don't start with the Mulhall thing again!! He was an excellent county minor, has been a decent club player but his performances for KE 21's we very poor as was his display when under pressure v Moorefield this year.

Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 pm

The players from JTB are far better equipped to compete against the All Ireland champions than your run of the mill senior club player. There are 4 of those players who are on a par with professional athletes - thats not a statement its fact.

But sure lets throw 8/9 lads on the panel because their team won the co championship.....that worked out so well for padraig nolan and john crofton Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Relax there loads of pints pale .....its only mid October and not child washed in the house or a ball kicked bounce bounce ...breath man breath......santa is on the way santa rendeer
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Glavin's body wouldn't stand up to what is asked of an inter county player nowadays. He has had terrible luck with injuries throughout his career.

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/03/27/you-think-about-the-game-the-moment-you-wake-up/
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Ahlethimout wrote:
Personally, I would rather see a smaller panel next year than what we've seen in the last few years.  Too many lads on the panel that weretraining away without getting any game time.  Think this is counter productive for the players, they'd be better offtrying to impress on the club front and getting valuable competitive action.
Don't mind having loads of lads on the panel if they're allowed game time with their clubs and actively encouraged to play. We all know that in the past players have been released to play with their clubs but a lot have been reluctant to actually play. I'd like to see something where they'd count what sort of game time everyone is getting whether with their club or the county with an aim that everyone gets to x games in the year.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Flamingo wrote:
The new man needs to hit up the big clubs more for players.
I don't know what is the personal circumstances but when the IFC champs have more on the panel than the likes of Moors, Sash, Athy and Larries there is something up.
Glad to hear of trials. Love to see lads like Glavin and Mulhall come in and do the business.
Thank christ we didn't get a in county man. Would just love to see us going back to the senior team being the preserve of 4 or 5 "big clubs" with only a handful of other lads.

There's a good reason JTB have so many on the team. They have players who are good enough.

And anyway, who says JTB aren't a big club with a big history?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 2:43 pm

'The new man needs to hit up the big clubs more for players'.
Thats the very reason I am glad that we have an outside man in charge,too many years Kildare men putting lads on the panel not intercounty standard just because their from Sarsfields or Moorefield etc.
its backward thinking over looking very skilled intelligent players just because their not affiliated with a 'Big' Club ridiculous.
Why do you think there is 'something up' or wrong if JTB have more skilled players on the panel than Larries for e.g. its not a conspiracy
If anything its wrong lads been overlooked!! If your good enough your good enough shouldnt matter what club a lad is from.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Dont think there is any chance of Ryan picking players just because of their clubs. I hope he attends the Junior final this weekend and also has a look at as many of the U21 games as he can. I would also like to see him experiment with players in different positions, maybe something like Bolton or McGrillen in the forwards. You will never know until you try and now is the time to find out.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 3:49 pm

whiteknight wrote:
On a side note I see Jack Sheedy has been appointed Longford manager,We'll see now will he fair any better with the 'limited resources'.
So you don't think the Longford manager has limited resources?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 4:04 pm

I think Jack sheedy will have more or less the same resources Glen Ryan had available to him so like I said it will be interesting to see what difference if any Sheedy will make with these resources.

Last edited by whiteknight on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pinkman
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 4:48 pm

murof wrote:
I would also like to see him experiment with players in different positions, maybe something like Bolton or McGrillen in the forwards.
Are you serious? More square pegs in round holes? Christ man - McGrillen is one of the best defenders we have. Why move him? Bolton needs to rediscover his form from recent seasons or he'll be watching more games than he plays.

It's forwards we need. With forwards mentality. Attacking an decisive when in possession. Cause defenders to make mistakes. Defenders playing as forwards will not do that. Jason has the time and the chance to start from scratch with his own panel and ideas. Hopefully he won't go down this root you speak of
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Pinkman wrote:
murof wrote:
I would also like to see him experiment with players in different positions, maybe something like Bolton or McGrillen in the forwards.
Are you serious? More square pegs in round holes? Christ man - McGrillen is one of the best defenders we have. Why move him? Bolton needs to rediscover his form from recent seasons or he'll be watching more games than he plays.

It's forwards we need. With forwards mentality. Attacking an decisive when in possession. Cause defenders to make mistakes. Defenders playing as forwards will not do that. Jason has the time and the chance to start from scratch with his own panel and ideas. Hopefully he won't go down this root you speak of
I presume you mean route? McGrillen is a fine defender but he is also excellent attacker who is an accurate shooter. I just think he is one player who could offer something different in a forward position. In the past Meath have moved defenders forward with great success, Geraghty, Curtis and Reilly and they didn't look like square pegs. No harm in thinking outside the box surely.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 5:14 pm

I dont think we need to many positional changes but Tomas o Connor could be tried at Midfield for e.g
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 pm

I agree whitenight, O'Connor is really a fielder of the ball. He is a target man, but a target man at midfield would be definitely worth a shot, conolly could easily pick him out. Sure the feckin size of him, his physical presence would be enough to have anyone marking him sh*t themselves!
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 5:52 pm

I think McGrillen could do a job at half back where he could get forward but I'd leave him in the backs - I don't think he has the subtlety for the forwards.
Tomas would be good at midfield for the kick-outs, but I don't think he'd have the mobility to play there. I couldn't imagine him marking the likes of McCauley or Cian O'Sullivan for example.
But I agree it's no harm trying these switches out in trial games.

Last edited by JohnnyC on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 6:20 pm

The ball seems to stick to O' Connor's hands like glue :)If O' Connor won a lot of ball in the middle and laid it off for other lads to run forward at pace.
It could give us another option to try win most of our own Kickouts that would give us a good platform to build on.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 7:43 pm

whiteknight wrote:
I think Jack sheedy will have more or less the same resources Glen Ryan had available to him so like I said it will be interesting to see what difference if any Sheedy will make with these resources.
I'm puzzled as to what possible relevance this has to a thread called the 'Kildare senior panel 2014'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Well seen as the kildare manager thread was locked as Sheedy is a former club manager in this county and Glen Ryan was the former Longford manager and for a period the front runner for the kildare job I think it is relevant,
so many here said Glen did the best with the limited resources he had in Longford.
Im just pointing out it will be interesting to see will sheedy to any better with the same resources, like I said the other thread was locked and we have moved on. study 
Back to top Go down
Ahlethimout
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 9:45 pm

lilywhites on tour wrote:
I agree whitenight, O'Connor is really a fielder of the ball. He is a target man, but a target man at midfield would be definitely worth a shot, conolly could easily pick him out. Sure the feckin size of him, his physical presence would be enough to have anyone marking him sh*t themselves!
I think Kildare need to move away from lumping kick outs up the field and move towards short kickouts. First of all, we don't have the midfield to compete for clean ball. Short kickouts offer much better ball retention and set up a lot more attacks.Would be better off with more mobile men in the middle who can track runners coming from deep, which has been a problem for the last 2 years. Keith Cribbin is a possibility. Wouldn't stick out as an intercounty midfielder in the conventional mould but has the mobility and work rate to be of influence at both ends
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 1:11 am

Ahlethimout wrote:
lilywhites on tour wrote:
I think Kildare need to move away from lumping kick outs up the field and move towards short kickouts.  First of all, we don't have the midfield to compete for clean ball.  Short kickouts offer much better ball retention and set up a lot more attacks.Would be better off with more mobile men in the middle who can track runners coming from deep, which has been a problem for the last 2 years.  Keith Cribbin is a possibility.  Wouldn't stick out as an intercounty midfielder in the conventional mould but has the mobility and work rate to be of influence at both ends    
I would agree with most of what you have said, Still think the more distance you can get the better position the team can get into. If we had a plan though, instead of lumping the ball out for a 50 50 contest at mid field, play smart ball, like what cluxton does. Cluxton's kickouts are a huge asset to the dublin team. He pinpoints different lads and they gain possession then easily off his kickouts.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 10:20 am

I think Connolly is a great shot stopper and good under the high ball but doesn't have the distribution Cluxton has.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 11:47 am

Ahlethimout wrote:
I think Kildare need to move away from lumping kick outs up the field and move towards short kickouts.  First of all, we don't have the midfield to compete for clean ball.  Short kickouts offer much better ball retention and set up a lot more attacks.Would be better off with more mobile men in the middle who can track runners coming from deep, which has been a problem for the last 2 years.  Keith Cribbin is a possibility.  Wouldn't stick out as an intercounty midfielder in the conventional mould but has the mobility and work rate to be of influence at both ends    
If everybody was fit and available next year, my first choice midfield pairing would be Daryl Flynn and Sean Hurley. If we have to look at other options, then maybe someone like Keith Cribbin could do a job there similar to the one Cian O'Sullivan does for Dublin. The way the game is now, mobility and work rate are more important than high fielding for a midfielder so it might be an option.
While I'd be in favour of quick/short kickouts, I don't think we should be expecting Shane Connolly to be able to pick out a man like Cluxton can. Cluxton is unbelievably accurate and sometimes Shane can get into trouble when he tries to be too precise. Having said that, kickouts are another area we can work on and improve for next year.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 12:20 pm

One of the most important aspects of the game nowadays is the restart of the game, be it from kick outs, free kicks or line balls, gone are the days where you can just kick it as far as possible and hope for the best......ball retention is the key and recycling it to the man in the best position is a most..
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 1:34 pm

JohnnyC wrote quote:

"While I'd be in favour of quick/short kickouts, I don't think we should be expecting Shane Connolly to be able to pick out a man like Cluxton can. Cluxton is unbelievably accurate and sometimes Shane can get into trouble when he tries to be too precise. Having said that, kickouts are another area we can work on and improve for next year."

Here lies the problem,if he cant do quick/short kickouts, out he Goes even though he is a club mate of mine.
gezzer never addressed this problem in all his time in Kildare with his goalkeepers.From Tom Corleys time to Shortys,to Shanes Connollys...

Rem this point in 2010 when against down when Darrell Flynn went off injured,Shorty persisted to kick long ball to middle and they put Doyle in mid field.They should of had plan B and had there short kickouts done in training to offer much better ball retention and set up a lot more attacks.(fact)

I was at the county Final moores v sash and was impressed by the moores keepers kickouts.
I think Luke Dempsey brought in a Goalkepper coach with him. when i looked in the Nationalist today on the stats of the match the Moores had a far superior % difference in own kickouts won.

Moores had 55% v Sash 39%
and it also gives Moores v Athy game which is Moores A big 67% v athy 44%
so the Moores did there homework with the kickouts coach.

kildare need to do something Similar to get our kickouts %s up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare senior panel 2014   Kildare senior panel 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare senior panel 2014
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next