Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

wearing green a disgrace

Go down 
+27
stevie
bob12
carburyman
paulus
Yellow Pearl
bloodsub
Cilldara_2000
stanley
peile
kartman
wingback
Ogie
FearBan
Sam1928
tomcruise
steviegenius
shoutitout
lilywhiteforlife
kickingking
Ohtoohtobe
walsheman
kildarecat
TheBigFullForward
Rex
Stonecold
rgb
Jimmy winning matches
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Sam its a bit more than a storm in tea cup, the green jersey should be the exception rather than the rule, we are and have always been white.
Exactly wingback why should a home team be the ones to change their strip? more brain dead GAA shenanigans!.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Lads the Antrim away Jersey is white, their home jersey is yellow.

I imagine the Kildare players felt that the white was too much of a clash for the yellow and obviously couldnt be worn at the same time as the white.

There is no brain dead nothing, more like people jumping to conclusions before knowing the facts.

So they opted to wear green for both games. Nothing other than that.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Fionn fair enough but its farcical if Antrim’s home and away jersey clashes with the same jersey. White and saffron are very alike from a distance. Surely some prior planning has to come into this. I always thought Antrim had a green away jersey.

Doesn’t matter now anyway. I presume it’ll be green again on Saturday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:14 pm

I agree that home and away jerseys shouldnt clash, but when was it likely were we ever going to meet Antrim?

Both county board had one week to prepare for the game.

Even if Antrim or Kildare came up with another a 3rd colour,
How much would a set of jerseys 1-30 or whatever cost to be made with a deadline of one week so that jerseys wouldnt clash?

We're away again on Saturday, there can be no arguement in having to wear the green.
Our record in the green jersey isnt bad in fairness.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:15 pm

can wear pink for all i careonce we win!!!!!
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:20 pm

kildarecat wrote:
Sam its a bit more than a storm in tea cup, the green jersey should be the exception rather than the rule, we are and have always been white.

I could be wrong but weren't kildare originally green before changing to white for some reason?
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:21 pm

think they became white after clane won the senior championship,so there colour became the white of kildare!!!!
cud be totally wrong though
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Each team has to wear either of the jerseys they registered at the start of the year, if not they get fined, but typical GAA no hard and fast rule as usual left for the teams to sort it out between themselves, and a very good point Marcus why would the brain deads allow a team to register an alternative kit that clashes with its normal strip???.

Thats my take on it too, Clane actually represented Kildare in the all Ireland back in 19 splash and their white jersey was then adopted as the county colours.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:30 pm

History
Clane town sports pre-date the GAA, those of June 12, 1884 on a field opposite the Dispensary House being reported as “ayquel to Punchestown” by the Leinster Leader. Dr O’Connor, organizer of the 1885 sports became first chairman of Kildare county board. A Leinster Leader report on April 1887 claims Clane had ‘the honour of being the first club to be established in County Kildare.’ Clane were first Kildare football champions, a Clongowes Teacher member of the team Professor Crowley was later accredited with having invented the handpass. RIC records from 1890 show that Clane William O’Briens had 50 members with officers listed as CJ O’Connor (who was also first chairman of Kildare county board) John Geoghegan, Maurice Sammon and James Archer. A set of white jerseys from a house rugby team at Clongowes, used by the club after 1901, were used for the 1903 All Ireland final leading to the tradition of Kildare wearing all white as their county colours: the Lily Whites.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:31 pm

The old rule was that countys would wear the provincial colours in the event of a clash and that both counties would change.

I really dont see what all the fuss is about. Jersey colours dont make you play any better. I really think people love any excuse for a bit of a moan or a dig at someone else and I mean ANY excuse. Of course it would be nice to wear white all the time but sure Spain won the world cup in Navy. Do you think they give a fiddlers?

I like Stonecolds assertion that they cant wear white again until they earned it.

*runs and ducks for cover*
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Sam............. what colour are the polo shirts ?
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:33 pm

That would explain why there away jerseys are green so.
Def no harm wearing green if they were our original colours...especially as we only wear them when jerseys clash,its only a handful of teams it happens against after all.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:35 pm

peile wrote:

Blue and white..selling well down my direction
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
peile wrote:

lol, cornered the market?
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 4:12 pm

I like the green jersey but have to say I prefer the all white especially the one from the nineties, nothing like heading up to croker on the motorway in a convoy of cars with the lilywhite flags streaming from the windows, better still driving back through the city with flags still flying.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Stonecold wrote:
Sam1928 wrote:
peile wrote:

lol, cornered the market?
get to the markets in kildare town if ya want one,going for £1
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:13 pm

Some of ye missing the point lads, not that it's a massive deal, but it was the players who opted to wear green, they were not ordered to by the GAA.
Like I said, whatever floats their boat, and no harm for a match or two, just saying long term we should play in white
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:53 pm

White is the colour of our county, we are the only County who play in that colour and we are instantly recognised when the white shirt is on show. However wearing a green jersey the odd time is not going to change who we are. We will always be known as the Lilywhites no matter how many times the green is worn.

Also I have seen pictures of the of the Kildare teams in the 60's wearing hooped socks and yet the world is still turning.

Found a picture of the hurlers.

wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 1966_juniorhurling_kildareS
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:03 pm

Interesting thing about the socks JME is I think around then a lot of players wore their club socks while playing county, not sure if that was the case with Kildare
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:52 pm

Not too pushed about the colour of the jersey myself but I don't like the black stripes on the white shorts. When we have the white jersey we should be all white. There was some bs mentioned in one of the newspaper reports on the July county board meeting about the black stripes being doen to teh contract with O'Neills. If that's the case why did the minors have all white shorts with only teh county crest on the side?
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 10:01 pm

the minors probably didn't get any new gear since the start of the year.
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Obviously one of the dinosaurs at the cb meeting woke up for this part of the meeting and decided to throw his useless opinion in. Pity they wouldnt wake for the key points of the meetings regarding fixtures etc.

Couple of points to make here lads. We are not the only county to wear white, Monaghan also wear white as do the Waterford footballers.

The ruling regarding a clash of colours is that both teams change their strip by agreement. Obviously our lads were happy to change and didnt care much for what ANtrim, Letrim or Derry think.

The stripes on the shorts would be an O'Neills call, to the best of my knowledge Kildare cb do not have total control over the line of leisure wear which is sold in shops. IN fact there are only a certain few counties who do. Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Galway the ones that I know for sure.

Finally, Geezer has hammered home the point since he arrived that almost every county in Ireland sees Kildare as a soft touch, he has repeatedly said this. I would imagine that the change of strip is a phsychological thing, something to get things right on the road. Dont ever forget we hardly ever (if ever) won games in the playoffs before he arrived.

Who gives a toss what colour they wear, this is a results based game. Every single person on this forum will judge the team and management on the results and how far we progress in gthe championship at the end of the season.
If we have reached a quarter final or there abouts, then who cares if its in a green, white or green and white jersey.

Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 10:00 am

O'Neill's decision me absolute hole. So they can make all-white shorts since they started making out kit, but it has to change this year? If a kit manufacturer told Barcelona sorry lads, we have to start making your jerseys white, what do you think they'd be told?

Not trying to make a massive issue out of this, just saying that if the team decided they were wearing green for the indefinite future I think it would be wrong. Tradition is important. That's all I'm saying.

Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Not comparing like with like there O2B. Barcalona are a professional outfit, well organised and fully in control of their brand. Kildare GAA are everything but.

As for this tradition bollixology..........................................sentiment never did and never will win anything. The white is merely something to wear on the pitch. Players are the ones doing all the hard work, if they are most comfortable wearing green. Then so be it.
Back to top Go down
paulus
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 am

Kildare are the only team with only one colour in their official strip,Waterford and Monaghan are white and Blue.There should never be an occasion when kildare should have to change strip.For example next sunday Monaghan can wear all blue with white collars which means they are still wearing their county colours albeit in a different arrangement .Derry could wear all red with a white centre or Collars etc.
Paulus
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wearing green a disgrace   wearing green a  disgrace - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wearing green a disgrace
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next