Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ryan staying on

Go down 
+9
kickingking
Sam1928
tomcruise
FearBan
whitetop
gaaweb
Yellow Pearl
walsheman
Jimmy winning matches
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 7:10 pm

glen ryan last night was given extra year in charge of longford and the players where in favour of him staying on
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 pm

must feel there is something there for him to stay another year,surprised he committed so early though
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Wouldnt have anything to do with the money?!
Back to top Go down
gaaweb
Senior
Senior

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Latebutgreat wrote:
Wouldnt have anything to do with the money?!

But Managers don't get paid any money lol!
Back to top Go down

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:07 pm

Layebutgreat that's f@ckin bullshit.

Why would Ryan stay on another year and risk any sort of reputation he has?
He must see something, and Longford county board must want him.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:11 pm

think he cud have maybe got a better team but as ya say,he must see something he likes,and there minor team just won leinster so next year cud involve top young players coming through
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:15 pm

Whatever floats ur boat Fionn.
I hope Longford keep him up there for the next few years. After that maybe he'll get the Laois job the next time he applies for it! All this will allow us progress on the current trend.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
Layebutgreat that's f@ckin bullshit.

Why would Ryan stay on another year and risk any sort of reputation he has?
He must see something, and Longford county board must want him.
and more important the players want him
Back to top Go down
whitetop
Junior A
Junior A

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:33 pm

A good bond with the players can bring out the best in alot of teams at the end of the day every county manager can coach but getting all the players to sing from the same hymn sheet is another thing. ryan is a incredibly passionate gaa man and that obviously runs right down from him to players. motivation is about gettin players to be entusiastic and have interest on there own accord and because they want to be interested, not because they have too! whats another year anyway..hes only young!! best of luck glen!!
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 am

Latebutgreat wrote:
Whatever floats ur boat Fionn.
I hope Longford keep him up there for the next few years. After that maybe he'll get the Laois job the next time he applies for it! All this will allow us progress on the current trend.

I take it you're not a fan there Latebutgreat. I'm delighted he got another year and best of luck to him. He must have the respect of the Longford players. They like a lot of counties have plenty of good footballers that don't line out for the county and if he can get some of them out well you never know, a league title is not out of the question.

I don't think too many other counties would be beating his door down just yet tho, he still has a lot of learning to do but given time I can see him involved in the Kildare setup.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:27 pm

Glenn Ryan is the only manager of the current era to take Kildare to an All-Ireland final bar Micko.Longford beat Mayo this year which was the result of the championship so far.Longford minors also won Leinster this year.Glenn also lines out with his club and in my mind , is an absolute legend and hero.

Best of luck Glenn and I hope 2011 goes well for you in Longford.Looking forward to seeing you with Kildare in the future.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:44 pm

tomcruise wrote:
Glenn Ryan is the only manager of the current era to take Kildare to an All-Ireland final bar Micko.Longford beat Mayo this year which was the result of the championship so far.Longford minors also won Leinster this year.Glenn also lines out with his club and in my mind , is an absolute legend and hero.

Best of luck Glenn and I hope 2011 goes well for you in Longford.Looking forward to seeing you with Kildare in the future.

Would agree with that.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Good luck to him. I wish him and his Longford team every success - unless they're playing Kildare that is!
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 2:37 pm

good luck is right
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:34 pm

tomcruise wrote:

I was a fan of Glen the player. Unfortunately my admiration for him is tainted by the carry on in recent years. He is no longer capable of playing football and resorts to dirty tactics and bully boy antics with referees. He played for Kildare long after he should've given up and is doing the same with Towers.

Yes he is the only one of that crop to take a team to an AI final, but Brian Murphy has done massive work behind the scenes for underage footbal in this county. The last 2 minor teams bear testament to this. Sos Dowling managed Moorefield to do what only 1 other Kildare team has ever done and has yet to take up county management. To the best of my knowledge they are the only ones of that era to step into management yet.

Result of the championship? Yeah if your from Longford.
Roscommon, Louth, Kildare and Sligo fans would argue with you over that.

I hope he learns his trade fully before attempting to take the senior job in Kildare. As it is, he would be a giant step backwards from our current setup.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Ahh great to see begrudgery is still alive and kicking.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 8:31 am

To me Glen Ryan was the greatest Kildare footballer of the modern era, Johnny Doyle and Niall Buckley might have their fans, but Glen was simply immense could play him in any position on the field in his prime and he would have shined, I'm a grown man and if grown men are allowed have heroes? well Glen is mine and I would have him as Kildare manager in the morning not because his record is outstanding in the managers helm at Longford he's done ok, but because he lives and breathes Kildare football and you can be sure the players would have enormous respect for him.

I'm not going to knock latebutgreat because a lot of what he said is true as regards Glen in later years, his football has becoming increasingly dirty and cynical, but has to be said the Round Towers tactics leave a lot to be desired bordering on GBH at times with little or no protection from the referees.
its a shame some people will remember Glen in a negative way when he eventually hangs up the boots instead of remembering him as one the best footballers in the Country over the last 20 year or so, but then again nobody to blame only Glen himself for adopting such a cynical side to his game.
Back to top Go down
Crossie
Junior C
Junior C
Crossie

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 9:28 am

Kildarecat, Glenn Ryan was one of, if not the best player I seen playing with Kildare also, but I dont agree you could play him in any position. Remember against Galway in the 92 all ireland U21 semi final, he was full back and he struggled badly against Ja Fallon, he played full back for the seniors a couple of times too and didnt look too comfortable, I think he might of played there against Laois in 96 in Croke Park...In saying that there was not too many centre backs better than him over the last 20 years.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 pm

But alas Crossie he wasn't at his prime under 21.

The 1998 All Ireland Semi Final against Kerry was a masterclass from Glen and he's had some wonderful performances over the years most notably the 13 man backs to the wall victory over Laois, the video of the Kerry game should be used for training purposes.
Back to top Go down
Crossie
Junior C
Junior C
Crossie

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 12:51 pm

He was outstanding that day against Laois, scored 1-02 I think.

Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 6:37 pm

I can assure you Latebutgreat that there is quite a few people along with Brian Murphy responsible for those teams and the job of building next years squad commences this weekend with the u17's taking part in a national blitz. The u15's are also out this weekend with a view to building a team for 2012-13, work with these squads, from u14 to u17, goes on all the time.
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 2:07 am

Apologies for this Ballyboy. Of course I know Murf isnt soley responsible for the teams, but he has been a key figure in pulling it all together. There are many dedicated and able people involved and without them it wouldnt be possible.
Thanks to some foresight a few years back, these Delvelopment squads were setup and are now beginning to bear fruit.
With our senior squad now something to be proud of once more, theres an incentive for these kids to push themselves.
I suspect you are involved Ballyboy, so congrats to you and all concerned.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Indeed Brian is the focal point, my knowledge of the work stems from a club mate of mine who is involved with the 15's, they won both of their games yesterday beating Roscommon and Armagh, didn't hear how the 17's got on yet but will post it when I do
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ryan  staying  on Empty
PostSubject: Re: ryan staying on   ryan  staying  on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ryan staying on
Page 1 of 1