Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's in store this summer for clubs?

Go down 
+4
lillyboy
lilysavage
kildaregaa365
Flamingo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

What's in store this summer for clubs? Empty
PostSubject: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Well lads just wondering where the poor aul club falls under the new regime? Just I feel that we should take the Kilkenny attitude a bit more and let the lads off a bit more.
It is something that really was crap in recent times with no REAL football at the height of summer. I am actually scratching my head every year when Kildare and other less successful counties shut up shop or keep benchwarmers away from their clubs for most of the year when, once again, Kilkenny let them off and hommer each other.
It doesn't seem to do them any harm. So any hints on availability for the new season?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 3:46 pm

For Kilkenny 4 championship matches wins them an All Ireland. Spread out over 3 months this leaves plenty of gaps for club matches.
For Kildare last year 4 matches had us going into round 3 of the qualifiers.

In theory what you are saying is spot on, but show me a gap in the schedule where you could play a club championship match? If you have it a week after a county match club managers will be unhappy that they don't have enough time working with their full squad. Any longer then the county manager has the same complaint.

Until the fixtures are better streamed at a national level it is hard to see any club championship games in June/ July while we are still involved in the inter-county championship.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Interesting to read Jim McGuinness's book over the Christmas. Basically they put the Club Championship on hold in 2012 as it was deemed worth it as they believed they had a real chance of an All Ireland. The following year the CB laid down the law and they ended up with injuries left right and centre and an inability to organise the team not knowing who would be available in advance of the Ulster Final. Basically were running on empty in 2013. So in certain circumstances for less successful counties like Donegal (then) or Kildare for the last 80+ years it might make sense to delay the Championship completely to focus on maximising what you can get out of the county team. I think we'd want to move up a Division or two and start making some real and obvious progress towards having a chance of success before that argument would wash in Kildare though. GAA really needs to streamline and despite all their reviews I am not holding my breath.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Take both points on board lads but I was just opening it up here. Access to county players is a huge issue here and in most counties. Worse still is when players are meant to be available and come the time they are not.
Just wondering if it has been raised at all at county board meetings or in any other discussion?
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 8:40 pm

League run off. One round of games . Lads head off to US while Kildare battle way to qualifiers. Championship resumes in mid to late August.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 8:46 pm

It will be interesting to see over the next few months what the new set ups attitude is to players not in a match day squad lining out for their clubs. It would be nice to get another round of the club championship played earlier but as things stand with inter county fixtures it would be impossible to nominate a date in advance. Hopefully a solution will come about with the national review which is underway
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Can't see clubs going for another round early in the season, no club would want to have their championship season over before August which is what playing round 2 earlier would do.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 9:17 am

Looking at the league fixtures and potential final ( Sat 23rd April ) and Quarter Final of Leinster against Wexford on Sunday 29th May I would think the 1st round of the Kildare championship will be played on Sunday 8th May as in previous years and that will be it until August/September.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 11:30 am

Cut down on training and play more matches. The training to game ratio is very lob sided even at club level I say its 3 to 1.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 1:08 pm

When does the Aldridge cup etc start ?.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 1:19 pm

And that's going to get even worse from 2017 StevieGenius with the decision to reduce the league teams
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 1:30 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
When does the Aldridge cup etc start  ?.

I'd say weekend of 13/14 Feb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's in store this summer for clubs?   What's in store this summer for clubs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's in store this summer for clubs?
Page 1 of 1