Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Leinster Junior Football Championship

Go down 
+15
steviegenius
Dinny Breen
Ogie
kickingking
Celbridgelad
LillieLad
jimmers
TommyKeegan
overthebar
Gaa1928
jim
lomond
SeamusMurphy
topcat
Lily8
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

Leinster Junior Football Championship Empty
PostSubject: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Kildare play Meath tomorrow night in Newbridge 7.30pm. I see the team has been named:

Nathan Sherry
Shane O Hagan
Luke Flynn
Sean Higgins
David Duke
James Murray
Eoin Molloy
David Fitzpatrick
Daniel Grehan
Adam Burke
Barry Coffey
Con Kavanagh
Chris Fenner
Shane O'Rourke
Chris Healy
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 10:20 pm

How official is this, I know one of the lads named there is injured.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Interesting to see Chris healy named.. is he gone of the senior panel? .
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 12:46 am

I assume it means he wont be part of the squad for Sat night ?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 2:04 am

lomond wrote:
I assume it means he wont be part of the squad for Sat night ?

Doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 5:52 am

topcat wrote:
How official is this, I know one of the lads named there is injured.

Posted on the official Kildare GAA social media accounts today.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 6:58 am

Really think the timing of this could not be much worse, taking players away from clubs ten days before championship and when you consider the time clubs have with their senior panellists before championship is ridiculously short. I feel this is an unnecessary competition. Dublin don't bother fielding a team in it, Ulster don't even run a competition for it so I just wonder what the end goal is here with this. Obviously they feel it will work in terms of developing players to play senior in the future but I am not sure that the standard will be that high that any players performance can be read into it too much.

Just my opinion and I am sure many disagree with it quite strongly.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 8:34 am

TC, I think your point is valid. . Throw in the fact that there's no trials, one training session and the panel / team is pre picked from those who are interested , you'd have to wonder what is the relevance.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 5:42 pm

TC I think there's merit in your point the timing isn't great more so with lads doing exams ect. I think they met 3 or 4 times for that reason as well as not wanting to put extra pressure on clubs too. I heard a few of the bigger clubs refused to release their player's which I find hard to understand especially if a player wanted to represent their county. I think the reason for entering the competition is to see if someone that is a late developer or that maybe didn't feature in a trail game in the winter condictions last October might be ready to step up to the next level. Henry Shefflin I don't think played much U21 or JD didn't either both were late developers. I can't see how a game 10 days before a championship match is a problem but maybe if i was a club manager I'd have a difference view.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 7:20 pm

I can't see how a game 10 days before a championship match is a problem but maybe if i was a club manager I'd have a difference view. !!!!!!!

Under normal circumstances I would be very unhappy with a game 10 days before the club championship ( and round 1 is so important ) however we have the senior team playing 7 days before the club championship ?????????????
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Jim. As far as I know they only met up friday and Monday.
I heard there were player's who refused to turn up, and not necessarily because their club blocked them.
Anyway its not a bad looking side, but in fairness we know all of these fellas from the last couple of years at u21.. no new faces.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Just curious, but how can we field a "junior " side with 5 or 6 senior's ? .. and I know it's an u23 side, but it's still a junior competition.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 10:18 pm

I think ourselves and Meath are using it as an U23 compeitition but we cant represent Leinster should either of us win it as we have players from seniors clubs
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm

lomond wrote:
I think ourselves and Meath are using it as an U23 compeitition but we cant represent Leinster should either of us win it as we have players from seniors clubs

I was thinking it might have been by agreement with the 2 county's.
Wasn't sure what happened if we won and met a junior side.
Like TC I'm not sure of the benefits.
Anyway I'll pop along for a look and support them.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 1:04 am

I hear Meath couldn't get enough U23 players to commit and they have to use players from junior and intermediate clubs.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 1:51 am

overthebar wrote:
I hear Meath couldn't get enough U23 players to commit and they have to use players from junior and intermediate clubs.

Why are we changing from the original ?. Didn't we win a leinster in 2013 made up from imtermediate and junior clubs ?
It's nice to see fellas from the lower clubs getting the opportunity to Don the white.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 3:13 am

I like the idea when it's adhered to, but we and Meath are making a mockery of it surely. Shoudln't both sides be thrown out of the tournament tonight once the ball is in rather than merely being not allowed progress if we win Leinster. Two teams in a competition can't agree to break the rules an expect to play on.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 4:17 am

What happens if we win, and the team we meet in the next round dosnt agree ?.. I suppose we could always put out an u23 junior team.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 6:28 am

Hope to see more of this guy on the sidelines in the future

Leinster Junior Football Championship CiwozS-XEAA_aI9
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 8:08 am

Tommy there was no rules broken. The leinster council give all counties the obtion of an under 23 squade and kildare availed of it. I think to try bridge the gap between under 21 and senior. But its a junior competition at national level so any county who put in an under 23 team were well aware of this. Well done to the team good win.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 8:19 am

jim wrote:
Tommy there was no rules  broken. The leinster council give all counties the obtion of an under 23 squade and kildare availed of it. I think to try bridge the gap between under 21 and senior. But its a junior competition at national level so any county who put in an under 23 team were well aware of this. Well done to the team good win.

Utterly bizarre, so essentially the competition that feeds the national competition has nothing to do with that national competition.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 8:44 am

jimmers wrote:

Leinster Junior Football Championship CiwozS-XEAA_aI9
Whos that and is JD involved?
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 8:57 am

I suppose its similar to an south Kerry not being able to play in the club championship.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 9:07 am

LillieLad wrote:
jimmers wrote:

Whos that and is JD involved?

JD himself
Back to top Go down
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 10:13 am

Who do we play next? And are we aloud play u23 from senior clubs? I like the idea of an u23 development team but as far as I am aware this team is mainly made up of lads on the 21 panel from 2 year ago that lost to Offaly in first round. Surely there's a few other lads in that age bracket who may not of been involved in that panel who deserve a chance. I agree with point above that this competition 10 days before champ must be a nightmare for managers, especially with league fixtures this coming weekend
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leinster Junior Football Championship
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next