Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Leinster Junior Football Championship

Go down 
+15
steviegenius
Dinny Breen
Ogie
kickingking
Celbridgelad
LillieLad
jimmers
TommyKeegan
overthebar
Gaa1928
jim
lomond
SeamusMurphy
topcat
Lily8
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 10:44 am

Plenty of counties competing at this grade are allowed to field what is essentially an inter county B team with players from their senior clubs. When Kildare reached the All Ireland Junior Final in 2010 we were one of those designated counties and our team was made up mostly of lads from senior clubs (Ciaran Kelly of Moorefield was the captain, Tommy Moolick, Ciaran Fitzpatrick and Darroch Mulhall all played). When we were back in the final again in 2013 we were no longer a designated county and the team was made up of players from junior and intermediate clubs (as well as players from senior clubs who had not made a club championship appearance in the previous season).
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 10:56 am

kickingking wrote:
Plenty of counties competing at this grade are allowed to field what is essentially an inter county B team with players from their senior clubs. When Kildare reached the All Ireland Junior Final in 2010 we were one of those designated counties and our team was made up mostly of lads from senior clubs (Ciaran Kelly of Moorefield was the captain, Tommy Moolick, Ciaran Fitzpatrick and Darroch Mulhall all played). When we were back in the final again in 2013 we were no longer a designated county and the team was made up of players from junior and intermediate clubs (as well as players from senior clubs who had not made a club championship appearance in the previous season).

Remember that, just seems odd that there are different rules for different games and the rules can be thrown out with if both sides agree. In the next round if both sides agree they'll play rugby, how is that any different, if you know where I'm coming from? Or a goal is worth 10?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 11:40 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
What happens if we win,  and the team we meet in the next round dosnt agree  ?.. I suppose we could always put out an u23 junior team.  

Solution.

Young fenner was impressive tonight.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Tommy the leinster championship is a difference competition that the All Ireland series. Any team that entered th leinster champions had the option of an U23 team which kildare decided to opt for. They have to stick with U23 for the rest of the competition. That option in not avaliable for the All Ireland series. So if kildare were to win they can not go forward. That what I was told by a CB official at the game last night.

Last edited by jim on Thu May 19, 2016 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 5:26 pm

Chris Fenner was excellent I thought as was Chris Healey.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 9:01 pm

jim wrote:
Tommy the leinster championship is a difference competition that the All Ireland series. Any team that entered th leinster champions had the option of an U23 team which kildare decided to opt for. They have to stick with U23 for the rest of the competition. That option in not avaliable for the All Ireland series. So if kildarewee o win they can not go forward. That what I was told by a CB official at the game last night.

So if Kildare were to win the Leinster final what happens? Leinster pick another county to go through or could Kildare not change their panel and go forward with lads just from junior and intermediate clubs?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 10:36 pm

jim wrote:
Tommy the leinster championship is a difference competition that the All Ireland series. Any team that entered th leinster champions had the option of an U23 team which kildare decided to opt for. They have to stick with U23 for the rest of the competition. That option in not avaliable for the All Ireland series. So if kildarewee o win they can not go forward. That what I was told by a CB official at the game last night.

I thought meath were doing the same but changed due to not being able to field an u23 team ?
It's real craggy island stuff.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 11:35 pm

I assume that the beaten finalists will go through.

I disagree Seamus the lads that took the field certainly didn't treat it like craggy island stuff and that's what I would judge it on.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 11:38 pm

jim wrote:
I assume that the beaten finalists will go through.

I disagree Seamus the lads that took the field certainly didn't treat it like craggy island stuff and that's what I would judge it on.

In fairness they did well, bearing in mind the little preparation. . I just think it should be one rule for all jim.
It'll be interesting to see how it goes next.

Last edited by SeamusMurphy on Thu May 19, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 11:38 pm

With the exception of some lads getting a chance to represent their county I think this competition is a waste of time. ( and then they talk about 'Player Burnout ').  

Only 7 counties in the Leinster side of it and that includes Cavan.  Almost as bad as Australia in the Eurovision. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Kildare play louth on June 1st in Newbridge.
Longford v wexford in the other semi.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
With the exception of some lads getting a chance to represent their county I think this competition is a waste of time. ( and then they talk about 'Player Burnout ').  

Only 7 counties in the Leinster side of it and that includes Cavan.  Almost as bad as Australia in the Eurovision. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Player burn out!!! I can't see how that plays a part in it.

Times are changing ....Cavan in leinster junior championship. Galway and Kerry hurlers in the leinster championship and New York and London in the Connaught championship.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 3:04 am

jim wrote:
Gaa1928 wrote:

Player burn out!!! I can't see how that plays a part in it.

Times are changing ....Cavan in leinster junior championship. Galway and Kerry hurlers in the leinster championship and New York and London in the Connaught championship.

We spent all January/February/March talking about player burnout and when things start to take shape this competition starts.

Whatever about Galway, New York and London which is understandable Kerry should play in the Munster Hurling Championship ( you don't see Waterford footballers looking to play in the Leinster Football Championships and if Ulster don't run a Junior Football Championship then that should be it like they have a fully functional Senior Football Championship in which all 9 counties participate in so its not as if Cavan are isolated.

All I'm saying is that these counties should play in their own province and they own province should arrange the relevant championships.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 3:30 am

It's very simple. Provincial championships should have nothing to do with the All-Ireland championships.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 4:50 am

Player burnout doesn't come from playing games it comes from workload i.e. the number of training sessions. I believe the u23s trained once, so I expect the management are fully in tune with burnout. A good exercise in my opinion and certainly puts young Fenner on the radar.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 6:37 am

Fenner played for the 21s last year so you couldn't exactly say he hasn't been on the radar. From the team that played the other night, the vast majority have represented Kildare at u/21 level in recent years so we are not exactly using it for the purpose of finding late developers.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 8:19 pm

topcat wrote:
Fenner played for the 21s last year so you couldn't exactly say he hasn't been on the radar. From the team that played the other night, the vast majority have represented Kildare at u/21 level in recent years so we are not exactly using it for the purpose of finding late developers.

Fair point.. as I mentioned previously, there's no one there we didn't see previously.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 10:23 pm

Would it not be better to put all the teams that want to play in the junior in a hat and have an open draw first one out have home advantage etc?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 11:12 pm

steviegenius wrote:
Would it not be better to put all the teams that want to play in the junior in a hat and have an open draw first one out have home advantage etc?

+ 1
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 11:28 pm

steviegenius wrote:

Jez stevie, are you suggesting we don't have a leinster championship ?.. Shocked
Back to top Go down
totalgaa
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 am

As per Seamus above are Kildare playing Louth this evening its just if you look at GAA fixtures for Saturday its says Leinster JFC Final Kilkenny v London at 5pm in Nowlan Park before the Dubs game, forgive me but I'm confused are Kildare and the other 3 semi finalists finished.
Back to top Go down
totalgaa
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 3:24 am

Sorry folk looked again under Leinster GAA and the Kilkenny v London game is the British Junior Final and Kildare are playing tonight at 7pm in Newbridge, all very quite here re game, best of luck to the boys in white
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 4:05 am

From the hoganstand website:

Kildare will once again field an U23 side when they face Louth in the Leinster JFC semi-final at St Conleth's Park, Newbridge tonight (throw-in 7.30pm).

The Lilywhites' starting fifteen for the last four provincial clash with the Wee County shows three changes from the 2-17 to 1-12 quarter-final victory over Meath two weeks ago.

Right corner-back Darren Maguire, right half-back Robbie Tone and midfielder Paschal Connell come in for Shane O'Hagan, David Duke and David Fitzpatrick respectively.

Kildare (JFC v Louth): Nathan Sherry; Darren Maguire, James Murray, Sean Higgins; Robbie Tone, Luke Flynn, Eoin Molloy; Paschal Connell, Daniel Grehan; Adam Burke, Barry Coffey, Con Kavanagh; Chris Fenner, Shane O'Rourke, Chris Healy.

Best of luck to the lads tonight.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 4:25 am

David fitz is gone to the states, the others missing may also be.
Is it louths U23s or junior's or over 40s? .
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 7:13 am

Result. Kildare 10. Louth 1 - 18. Poor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Junior Football Championship   Leinster Junior Football Championship - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leinster Junior Football Championship
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next