Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where to next?

Go down 
+40
Cassanata
flourman
Hurlerbehindtheditch
murof
Big Full Back
lily4fr
Snowwhite
Flamingo
Ohtoohtobe
Rex
Badger85
lomond
Taibi
jj
TheManInTheStands
totalgaa
Gaa1928
lilysavage
Liffey Likes
white boy
SeamusMurphy
micky murphy
steviegenius
Kildare98
tpos
Highball
fatherted
Caprea
intheback
OutTheGap
jimmers
bite the pillow
Ois
maccie
lillyboy
tomoneillandhissisteranne
kelf
Cilldara_2000
DONTPULLOUT
KILL BILL
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
lily4fr
Senior
Senior

Where to next?  - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Glenn has proven track record as a player and a manager a club, underage and intercounty level. And he knows the current crop of club footballers. I don't see how we can look beyond him. And lastly he's a kildare legend and no one deserves a shot at it more than he does
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Agree totally. Put aside any grievances for the good of Kildare football and give him his chance.

Best of luck to Cian O'Neill.
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Is anyone worried about the fact that Glenn hasn’t managed a county team since 2013?
County football has moved on a huge amount since 2013.
And IF a current senior county manager who is proven at that level shows an interest in the job, that we should allow loyalty or nostalgia to cloud the judgement of the decision makers in the CB?
Nobody would love to see Glenn get his chance and succeed more than me. But if a Malachy O’Rourke showed an interest in the job, how could you look past him?
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Badger85 wrote:
Is anyone worried about the fact that Glenn hasn’t managed a county team since 2013?
County football has moved on a huge amount since 2013.
And IF a current senior county manager who is proven at that level shows an interest in the job, that we should allow loyalty or nostalgia to cloud the judgement of the decision makers in the CB?
Nobody would love to see Glenn get his chance and succeed more than me. But if a Malachy O’Rourke showed an interest in the job, how could you look past him?

Agree with the above, I think the ship may have sailed for Glenn becoming manager. I wouldn’t be upset to see him as a selector perhaps.
Is Jack O’Connor managing at present?
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 pm

Do people actually realise two out of our last three managers had zero inter-county managerial experience and here we have posts dismissing a man who actually has some?

Forget about the O'Rourkes and O'Connors, they would cost too much and highly unlikely they'd be interested.

Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 10:23 pm

We took a risk with Geezer no experience etc...hiw about Tomas O'Se?
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 pm

Experience is what this group of players needs. They’re at a point in their careers where we can’t take a risk on a manager who isn’t proven.
The next man in will set the tone of how our players develop over the next 5/7 years.
Do we want a good, strong base level that’s well organised? Or a risky appointment that could go either way?
I’d pick a strong, experienced manager everyday of the week.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 pm

Just to come at this slightly different. I could be wrong here but is the Chairman in his last year. Is he due to stand down at the end of this year.

If he is should he be involved in picking the new man as he won't be around when the first ball is kicked in anger. The new management will come in under one chairman but will manage the team under another. It has the possibility to cause problems.

This is one of the most important decisions as regards our Senior team that will have been made in years. Possibly ever. The next 5 years will see a huge amount of successful underage players coming through added to a talented but underachieving current crop. These players need guidance, need to believe again, need someone to bring out the best in them and give them a purpose. The new man must also bring back into the fold our absent players.

It is vital the correct decision is made. Lets hope emotion and personality are left at the door when doing so.

Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to Cian O’Neill for all his efforts, particularly given the commute he had. He took over a Division Three team that had just conceded seven goals in 22 minutes of Championship football. He took us to Division One and the Super Eights and there were a couple of memorable championship wins over Meath and Mayo in that time. Ok, we never got as far as he or the supporters would have liked. He probably needed a bit of luck to turn tight games such as Westmeath 2016, Armagh 2017, the league games against Tyrone and Monaghan in 2018 and the championship Galway 2018 game our way. But the real turning point for me was Monaghan 2018 in Croke Park. We came into that on a massive high but lost a tight one to break our momentum. His last year was just a write off - we were just destroyed by injuries and absentees. A disappointing end to his tenure. However, he said he wanted to leave us better off than he found us and he has done that. Best of luck to him in the future.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 12:15 am

In fairness we have to acknowledge the work done as pointed out by Ohtoohbe.
We had some good days and I would class the Armagh loss off the back of a decent showing and a big crowd in 2017 as a key day. A win there could have really helped them push on.

Now that it's done Malachy O'Rourke would be a great option, but looking at it the first port of call could be Glavin with O'Connor advising a la Moorefield.
One of our own cutting his teeth at county level with a top class guiding hand.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 12:19 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks to Cian O’Neill for all his efforts, particularly given the commute he had. He took over a Division Three team that had just conceded seven goals in 22 minutes of Championship football. He took us to Division One and the Super Eights and there were a couple of memorable championship wins over Meath and Mayo in that time. Ok, we never got as far as he or the supporters would have liked. He probably needed a bit of luck to turn tight games such as Westmeath 2016, Armagh 2017, the league games against Tyrone and Monaghan in 2018 and the championship Galway 2018 game our way. But the real turning point for me was Monaghan 2018 in Croke Park. We came into that on a massive high but lost a tight one to break our momentum. His last year was just a write off - we were just destroyed by injuries and absentees. A disappointing end to his tenure. However, he said he wanted to leave us better off than he found us and he has done that. Best of luck to him in the future.

I so agree with OTB! Think it was a real classy, well written statemnt from a very decent guy who tried his best to succeed however luck did not go his way, on certain days...
Have no doubt whatsoever that he will have a great career with another county....
Best of luck to the new manager! I hope he has a very thick skin!
Back to top Go down
lily4fr
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 am

Agreed, takes a huge commitment to take over a county set up. Thanks to Cian for all his hard work
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 12:36 am

+1
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 2:15 am

No doubt he always came across as a decent man who tried hard. However his teams always seemed to soft and fragile and lost too many matches they could have won. Two league finals where we were in winning positions near the end slipped away as did the demoralizing defeat to Armagh.
His adherence to the awful slow handpassing method of attacking and his inability to manage a defense are his biggest failures imo.
Maybe a new manager will make no difference and we will realise it was the players fault all along, who knows.
Would agree with Glavin, O'Connor and maybe Burke to help integrate the younger players. Can't see us getting a decent outside manager with no hope of a Leinster title.
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 2:28 am

When CON was announced most people on here were very happy with the news, while it didn't work out I have no doubt at all that he gave the role everything and made a lot of personal sacrifice for it. For that I think we have to be thankful to him. Him stepping aside in the way he has I think does show that he has Kildare football at heart and not any self interest.
Back to top Go down
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 am

lily4fr wrote:
Glenn has proven track record as a player and a manager a club, underage and intercounty level. And he knows the current crop of club footballers. I don't see how we can look beyond him. And lastly he's a kildare legend and no one deserves a shot at it more than he does

What a silly statement to make. Its thinking like that that has us in the hole we are currently in. If Glenn is the best man for the job then no question give it to him, if not give it to the most qualified person who wants the job, not the person who should get it because they are a legend, no one deserves a shot at it no matter who you are. The selection of the next manager is the most crucial decision that has been made in Kildare football for a long time. The correct choice for the future of Football in the county has to be made leaving wolly thinking aside. Not sure this current County Board is capable of making the right choice, I'm sorry to say.
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 2:48 am

Hurlerbehindtheditch wrote:
lily4fr wrote:

What a silly statement to make. Its thinking like that that has us in the hole we are currently in. If Glenn is the best man for the job then no question give it to him, if not give it to the most qualified person who wants the job, not the person who should get it because they are a legend, no one deserves a shot at it no matter who you are. The selection of the next manager is the most crucial decision that has been made in Kildare football for a long time. The correct choice for the future of Football in the county has to be made leaving wolly thinking aside. Not sure this current County Board is capable of making the right choice, I'm sorry to say.

I get what you are saying but in fairness you are selecting just one point that was made in his comment and going after it.
Back to top Go down
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 3:02 am

Cassanta, What I wanted to highlight was that we need to move away from the sentimental view of Legends, people deserving a go etc etc. The best for the job needs to get the job end of. Leave petty politics and club squabbles behind. This has to be the way forward.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 am

Cassanta, What I wanted to highlight was that we need to move away from the sentimental view of Legends, people deserving a go etc etc. The best for the job needs to get the job end of. Leave petty politics and club squabbles behind. This has to be the way forward.

Glenn has proven track record as a player and a manager a club, underage and intercounty level.

What part of the above statement is a "sentimental view of legend"?
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 am

flourman wrote:

Glenn has proven track record as a player and a manager a club, underage and intercounty level.

you PR Manager for Glen
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 am

Newbridgeornowhere wrote:
flourman wrote:

you PR Manager for Glen

No I’m not you illiterate twit
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 3:19 am

you PR Manager for Glen

That's not answering the question.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 3:24 am

flourman wrote:
flourman wrote:

you PR Manager for Glen

No I’m not you illiterate twit
😂😂😂😂
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 am

The county board needs a TOTAL overhaul. But who is going to take the jobs. It's depressing. There seems to be a total lack of drive
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 am

Just hope mcstay not in the frame , hearing Niall Carew ?
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to next?
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: