Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where to next?

Go down 
+40
Cassanata
flourman
Hurlerbehindtheditch
murof
Big Full Back
lily4fr
Snowwhite
Flamingo
Ohtoohtobe
Rex
Badger85
lomond
Taibi
jj
TheManInTheStands
totalgaa
Gaa1928
lilysavage
Liffey Likes
white boy
SeamusMurphy
micky murphy
steviegenius
Kildare98
tpos
Highball
fatherted
Caprea
intheback
OutTheGap
jimmers
bite the pillow
Ois
maccie
lillyboy
tomoneillandhissisteranne
kelf
Cilldara_2000
DONTPULLOUT
KILL BILL
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

Where to next?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 am

The decision won’t even be made by our elected representatives. Decisions are made and influenced by unelected individuals.
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 am

Where to next ? For the team...not a clue to be honest. For myself..i'm off to bed. I've just watched our "Newbridge or nowhere"  game against Mayo on youtube and it cheered me up no end !
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Are they gone yet!! Don't forget including myself the majority of people were delighted for CON to get the job and am not getting wrapped up in another CMcG discussion and suggest we don't.
So to me we either need an enforcer of a manager like Malachy O'Rourke to put a bit of reality on the situation like someone else has highlighted the Kildare Trophy Cabinet and the reality of the lack of trophies or a recently retired hungry ex-player that will give his all to making it work the last thing i want to see is a journey man manager who is only ticking the boxes.
Now part of that problem is if the Chairman is leaving at the next convention who is going to do all of this..... will CON resign as i doubt if he will get rid of him so timing could be a major issue and we potentially could loose a year in all of this....
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 8:30 pm

micky murphy wrote:
Are they gone yet!! Don't forget including myself the majority of people were delighted for CON to get the job and am not getting wrapped up in another CMcG discussion and suggest we don't.
So to me we either need an enforcer of a manager like Malachy O'Rourke to put a bit of reality on the situation like someone else has highlighted the Kildare Trophy Cabinet and the reality of the lack of trophies or a recently retired hungry ex-player that will give his all to making it work the last thing i want to see is a journey man manager who is only ticking the boxes.
Now part of that problem is if the Chairman is leaving at the next convention who is going to do all of this..... will CON resign as i doubt if he will get rid of him so timing could be a major issue and we potentially could loose a year in all of this....

Lads, it is quite obvious to me at this stage that CON will resign.... I do not see the huge rush with this and you can be sure things are happening in the background. He has not spent the last 4 years with Kildare going out to lose games along with the players therefore we should at least afford him a bit of respect and give him the time to do it the way he wants to do it. We all know the time and effort both team and management give and have given while the results are of course disappioniting. I would imagine that there is no-one more disappointed than them!
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Sunday Game last night highlighted the difference between our tackling and that of Tyrone. It showed a couple of times Doyle should have raced out to confront a Tyrone attacker but instead tried to defend space and it resulted in easy scores. The Tyrone boys were not any way slow in confronting our forwards and we continually passed backwards.
This has to be a priority for the next manager and to me represents CON's biggest failure. Has a team ever scored 2-22 with such ease?
Our 2 midfielders were singled out for high praise.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Think Kevin McStay was virtually putting his name forward for the job in his praise and Kildare have something to build on.... maybe that was just me
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 pm

How many posters on this forum have highlighted the tackle and the shadowing of runners over the last 4 years. We have had multiple coaches but this has never been rectified. They are not all blind, so it must be a directive from the manager that he wants to play like that. Is it any wonder you concede 2-22 at home when no one will actually tackle. Remember we conceded 3-15 to Longford a couple of weeks ago, 1-20 odd to Donegal and 2-14 to Carlow all in the last year. Its a serious black mark that there was no change in how they approached defending

Tyrone won't have an easier game this year because we never tried to match them physically. Only Conway made it hard for his opposite number. No tackling, no stopping the runner, shadowing players without trying to stop them marking space when the threat is straight in front. It's a mess.

Next man's first priority is to sort the defence out. If he does he'll 70% there.

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Rex wrote:
Next man's first priority is to sort the defence out. If he does he'll 70% there.

I would say fitness is the first thing that needs addressing and then definitely tackling. The big scores conceded are a bad reflection of a full back line, but the full back line is not the issue here at all, this all stems from half forwards being picked that can't tackle and don't stop runners from deep. Our half forward line on Saturday night (and all year) was too slow, too weak, too small.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 11:10 pm

The problems are obvious and have been highlighted

1. Fitness - Fixable

2. Kickouts - Fixable

3. Game plan - Fixable

4. Tackling /Correct use of sweeper - More difficult but still fixable

5. Commitment from players not on panel - Again more difficult but fixable if a clear plan in place for 1-4. New management needed to address.

6. Hunger/Desire/ Doggedness/Mentality - The age old problem for every manager since ive been supporting Kildare - The most difficult to fix - Not impossible. Fixing and improving 1-5 improves this one. The right man is most important here.

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 11:20 pm

Highball agree most of it is fixable, but commitment from players not around might be the trickiest task.

But as you say, with the right man onboard laying out a compelling vision, it's definitely doable.

We seriously need our shit together at the start of next year, because with Armagh, Cavan and Roscommon also in Div 2, it's going to be murder getting promoted.

To repeat: until we get back to Div 1 and stay there, the league will be our most important competition.

We have to be absolutely ruthless in this goal, because it's not going to be handed to us.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 11:28 pm

This i agree with - You havent got a prayer unless you are regularly competing in division 1 and improving.

Playing the Tipps, Fermanaghs of this world (with all respect ) does nothing for you in the summer compared to playing Tyrones, Mayos etc...

Division 1 has to be a priority outcome - Thats why for me this year was more of a disaster (moreso than the championship results) .

To be fair, we would not have expected a win against Dublin or Tyrone.

The result and performances against Fermanagh and Donegal in particular have made my mind up on this current management set up. Against Fermanagh, we were dismal when we knew how they would set up and didnt seem prepared. Against Donegal , we thre in the towel before a ball was kicked.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Surely in the name of Jesus with our underage record over past 10 years, location in the country, and enthusiasm for football in the county, Kildare should be a Div 1 team.

Compare what Mayo have to endure with winter travelling, and what Monaghan have to overcome with resources, and yet they're both there, year-in year-out.

We are not maximising our resources or anywhere near it.
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 1:45 am

Jason (Stephen) Rochford? Highly thought of in Donegal. Came within inches of an All Ireland with Mayo. Certainly over qualified for the back up role he has with Donegal...

Last edited by Badger85 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 2:00 am

Jason Rochford – no.

Stephen Rochford, on the other hand, definitely worth considering.
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 4:25 am

Hahaha.... suffering severely since Saturday. The Gin festival in Maynooth and nightmares of the Jason Ryan years have damaged my brain.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 4:34 am

Strong rumours doing the rounds that county board want Cake Curran to take over the reigns... It has to happen.

Wouldn't be long lighting a fire under them lads' arses.

Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 5:29 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Strong rumours doing the rounds that county board want Cake Curran to take over the reigns... It has to happen.

Wouldn't be long lighting a fire under them lads' arses.

Very funny HG...…………… He was run out off a junior club in Offaly last year...……...
Back to top Go down
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 7:12 am

You can’t have your “cake” and eat it too. Or can you..... all depends on what PD AND M say.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 7:25 am

micky murphy wrote:
Think Kevin McStay was virtually putting his name forward for the job in his praise and Kildare have something to build on.... maybe that was just me
Couldn't agree more - short of putting a CV up to the camera he was saying, "I could build this team."
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 7:30 am

McStay could be a runner, isn't his wing man with Naas this year? Can't wait till after the convention to go looking
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 7:36 am

I'd not have a problem with McStay done a good job with Roscommon and took St Brigids to a club All Ireland. Rochford is another good shout as he'd rather be a number 1 I would presume. A few candidates out there when you start thinking about it
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 8:06 am

If CON goes - I wouldn't want McStay. His Roscommon team last year were worse defensively than we are and he ended up losing the plot a bit (throwing the ball at the officials)

I think we need an Anthony Cunningham type manager who would try to put a bit of steel into the team. That has to be the number one priority. It's going to be a tough job bringing in some of the young players while trying to challenge for promotion. It's not going to be a quick fix.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 8:36 am

I wouldn’t want McStay - I think he waffles an awful lot & honestly, CON made a better fist of Super 8s last year than he did. And as Johnny C alluded to, he actually got a bit unhinged in the end.

I really think it’s better if we start cultivating managers inside the county - I think outside managers have possibly had their day.

That’s why for me, Davy Burke is the number one candidate.

But for the sake of argument, of the outside names mentioned... Malachy O’Rourke has a great CV but he is a defensive coach & I don’t think that approach suits our team or Kildare football generally.

Rochford would be a great fit, but he has a young family & lives on other side of country.

After that, maybe someone has Jim McGuinness’ number.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 8:41 am

Whoever the next manager may be, for me the big question is: are we going to have the best players in the county onboard next year?

If not, it’s kind of pointless exercise tbh. We’ll remain in Div 2 & do eff all in championship again.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 9:00 am

It might be a bit early for Davy Burke to be the main man but I'd like to see him involved.

O'Rourke would be a good shout be it's hard to see him coming down from Tyrone to manage us.

I don't if they'd be available or interested but I'd love to see Glen as manager with Davy Burke and Roli as selectors/coaches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to next?
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: