Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Leinster Championship 2024

Go down 
+64
Clubman
bite the pillow
Kildare127
bloodsub
Liffey Likes
Nuxerfromthe50
Rex
TheGreatof1928
John_R
smokey
DannyBoy
Sleeptight
Ogie
flourman
Leead64
All down the line
Southern Gael
Kildarelilly
shunta15
Onhisboot
Bigfullforward
ClaneLillywhite
if_in_doubt
Columbo
Strangler
MD
Ontheterrace
CONNTRICK
Highball
OutSideOfTheBoot
donnellyshollow
Onechance
Thelillywhites
Tawnbag123
Lilywhite forever
Kildare999
Kildare98
Twentyeight
FlourBag_1
murof
KILL BILL
SplitThePosts
seamymurphy
lilysavage
Kildare-Tom
lily92
MickosMen
NorthernLily89
moatesports
OutTheGap
Badger85
LillieLad
BearintheSquare
Ohtoohtobe
TommyKeegan
Gaa1928
totalgaa
FionnMcCool
Flamingo
really_unofficial_kildare
newornowhere
Botch
Countyminor -84
jimmers
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Twentyeight
Senior
Senior

Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2024 7:43 am

lily92 wrote:
Badger85 wrote:
MickosMen wrote:
OutTheGap wrote:
really_unofficial_kildare wrote:
If anyone is buying the Kildare Nationalist today "The Supporter" column is well worth a read. It will probably be online later so I'll post the link. Pulls no punches.
Here is a the supporter article you mentioned:
https://kildare-nationalist.ie/2024/05/02/there-is-nothing-wrong-with-failure-if-you-give-your-all-the-supporter-column/

He raises mostly the same issues as people here on the forum but it's fairly depressing reading how we are not fulfilling close to our potential in so many areas.

The main issue I have with that suggestion is we have always been an unsuccessful county. Apart from the odd few years. Our current demise whilst steep and alarming is probably more in tune with the majority of our past.

You can certainly see potential there but throughout the years we have never really exploited it for pro-longed periods. There is a massive divide in Kildare GAA. I think that something that isn't spoken about enough.

What is the divide?

Clane/Sallins. The CB will just about tolerate Naas. They prefer Athy ploughmen.

You’re right just the 10 players from Naas and northwards that started on Sunday, pure discrimination

lilysavage and Lánchúlaí like this post

Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2024 9:54 am

In fairness, the lad that mentioned "ploughmen" is from Sallins...I do think if Maynooth was in the south of the county the university would have a part to play in Kildare GAA,
Back to top Go down
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2024 9:31 pm

newornowhere wrote:
Said it before but any player that leaves the panel of his own accord should never wear the Kildare jersey again. The Tailteann Cup isn't beneath us. It's our level this year.

Don't get you logic here at all, I'm surprised more on the fringes haven't walked. Everyone knows glen will play the same old unreliable in the tailtenn cup and not try a young lad at all. Why would anyone stay near this shit show.

My point is that players committed for the year. There are plenty that didn't that probably would have started for Kildare this season There is a good chance we will be in the Tailteann next year too so can you rely on a player who walked away when things were really in the mud? To give a shit about playing in Div. 3? Players that walked away when we were at our lowest and needed them? No. I stand by my comment.
Back to top Go down
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 12:00 am

Big analysis of the game here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjkqebdfdig
Back to top Go down
donnellyshollow
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 12:29 am

Big analysis of the game here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjkqebdfdig

Excellent analysis. Highlights some of our deficiencies in the basics of defense such as tracking runners and communication.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 12:40 am

Also, as many here zone in on Dan they also question where the support is.
At the back we never talk and we don't have lads with football IQ.
It's actually something we miss with Feely up the field as he does direct lads.
But we are a very quiet team. Compare to the U20s they are v vocal and point things out on the field.
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 4:16 am

Badger85 wrote:
MickosMen wrote:
OutTheGap wrote:
If anyone is buying the Kildare Nationalist today "The Supporter" column is well worth a read. It will probably be online later so I'll post the link. Pulls no punches.
https://kildare-nationalist.ie/2024/05/02/there-is-nothing-wrong-with-failure-if-you-give-your-all-the-supporter-column/

He raises mostly the same issues as people here on the forum but it's fairly depressing reading how we are not fulfilling close to our potential in so many areas.

The main issue I have with that suggestion is we have always been an unsuccessful county. Apart from the odd few years. Our current demise whilst steep and alarming is probably more in tune with the majority of our past.

You can certainly see potential there but throughout the years we have never really exploited it for pro-longed periods. There is a massive divide in Kildare GAA. I think that something that isn't spoken about enough.

What is the divide?

There is a dislike and an undercurrent of tension when it comes to the clubs like Maynooth, Lexilip, Confey and Celbridge. You'd only really understand it if you were from one of those clubs. It's not really about player selection on the various teams as much as when it comes to the county board roles etc. As I have said before when was a north kildare person chairman of the county board last? There is poor treatment when it comes to these clubs also when in Newbridge or at other various south kildare venues. They are seen as too dublin. It's exactly why Davy Burke didn't get the kildare job. If he were from Athy or Milltown or Ballymore he'd hae gotten it in a heartbeat. I don't think anyone can deny that.

lilywhites on tour, Earl_Kid and LéimAnBhradain like this post

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 4:42 am

MickosMen wrote:
Badger85 wrote:
MickosMen wrote:
OutTheGap wrote:

What is the divide?

There is a dislike and an undercurrent of tension when it comes to the clubs like Maynooth, Lexilip, Confey and Celbridge. You'd only really understand it if you were from one of those clubs. It's not really about player selection on the various teams as much as when it comes to the county board roles etc. As I have said before when was a north kildare person chairman of the county board last? There is poor treatment when it comes to these clubs also when in Newbridge or at other various south kildare venues. They are seen as too dublin. It's exactly why Davy Burke didn't get the kildare job. If he were from Athy or Milltown or Ballymore he'd hae gotten it in a heartbeat. I don't think anyone can deny that.

There sure is an undercurrent of tension - it resides in your head.

Ohtoohtobe, lilywhites on tour and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
Twentyeight
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 5:52 am

Such nonsense, Burke didn’t get the job because he made a show of the county board in the national media on multiple occasions, it’s nothing to do with where he’s from.

The last 5 under 20 managers have been from north Kildare, the last one from south Kildare was Glenn Ryan I believe.

The last 6 minor managers have been from north Kildare and the one before that was Brendan Hackett

Ohtoohtobe, lilywhites on tour, lilysavage and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 6:02 am

Burke called the county board out… and no one is allowed do that. It didn’t help that he’s north of the mason dixie line. That’s an added reason for the board to attack him. Because it certainly can’t be on his record.
He’ll struggle to get the job as long as the dinosaurs remain in charge. Male, Pale and very much Stale.
You can’t criticise them. You particularly can’t criticise them if they regard you as “a Dub” or “a Meath man”.
But the main reason they hate him is not where he’s from, it’s what he called them out on.

Anything to be said for a sponsored walk?
Back to top Go down
Twentyeight
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 6:14 am

It’s also worth remembering that clubs north of Clane have won 1 county title between them since the 1980s, it’s not some grand conspiracy that they don’t have more of an involvement at senior intercounty level.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 7:06 am

It was a huge mistake to overlook Burke imo. There's no doubt the CB weren't comfortable with his desire for the job and the demands he would have asked of them. They overlooked a guy who had won an AI at U20 with a group of ordinary footballers in favour a guy who had won nothing in the last 10 years.
Watching Rock and Boyle discussing our lack of basic tactics reinforces what a poor decision the CB made.
Back to top Go down
NorthernLily89
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 9:25 am

Why even bring Burkes name up? We all know he should of got the gig. What could of been, move on, we are where we are cause of this incompetent board. A whole new Kildare is needed after this season, we will continue to fall if this is the same carry on. Mick Gorman needs to apologise for overseeing this shite, no in and out county board meetings. I've walked out off every game this year with my head down this year in disappointment, never seen the likes.
Back to top Go down
NorthernLily89
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 9:28 am

Twentyeight wrote:
It’s also worth remembering that clubs north of Clane have won 1 county title between them since the 1980s, it’s not some grand conspiracy that they don’t have more of an involvement at senior intercounty level.
I doubt Naas and even Newbridge clubs like to be seen as South Kildare in fairness
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 11:22 am

I’m unsure about Davy Burke. Are Roscommon that much better under him? He had a great start last year but it ended with defeats to us and Cork when it mattered.
This year they have been tame in getting relegated and losing to Mayo. Some of his interviews have been strange.
I think he’s a contender but not the obvious front runner some posters assume he is.

Thelillywhites likes this post

Back to top Go down
Southern Gael
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 4:56 pm

MickosMen wrote:
Badger85 wrote:
MickosMen wrote:
OutTheGap wrote:

What is the divide?

Nonsense post. Growing up in Athy and south Kildare we always had the perception we were the poor relation to the northern clubs. The feeling was a south Kildare footballer had to be exceptional to even make the county senior panel. In hindsight it's hard to tell how true this perception was but definitely over the past 30 odd years we may have faced  a lot of other problems but an imaginary north/south divide is not one of them. 

Re Davy Burke, his address had far less to do with the failure to appoint him senior manager  than the demands the county board feared he would make on them in terms of resources . This was behind his decision not to remain as u20 manager for a second year.

We are in as dark a place as I can remember in my almost 40 years following Kildare. We have a plethora of problems facing us. Creating imaginary ones will not help us dig  our way out of this mess

Ohtoohtobe, KILL BILL, Flamingo, lilysavage and Liffey Likes like this post

Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 9:10 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I’m unsure about Davy Burke. Are Roscommon that much better under him? He had a great start last year but it ended with defeats to us and Cork when it mattered.
This year they have been tame in getting relegated and losing to Mayo. Some of his interviews have been strange.
I think he’s a contender but not the obvious front runner some posters assume he is.

I am leaning towards this 100% a contender and should have got the job over Ryan but I think would have to be considered a bit more this time round rather than the obivious choice.
You all know my obivious choice if McGeeney was available with Brian Flanagan as no.2. You only need to read the article from the supporter and see the difference the like of himself and McGuinness push to get out of players and to reach those standards. Trying to get the better version of the players than they were.
It's truly a low that we are in Hawkfield next weekend and that Kildare with its population was allowed to fall so low under Ryan.

Last edited by Thelillywhites on Sat May 04, 2024 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 9:37 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:

I agree on this. I think he should have got the job at the time Glen was appointed. I'm not sure he's the right man now to take us on as we are in a completely different place to then.

A McGeeney, McGuinness, Malachy O Rourke and I'll whisper this Rory Gallagher type appointment is needed. I feel and it's just my opinion. Brian Flanagan needs some more management experience for me.

KILL BILL, lilywhites on tour, Thelillywhites and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
lily92
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:47 pm

have clare v kerry on in the background. all the fanfare of a provincial final and it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I wish they would do away with them and create a new competition that properly combines the league and all-ireland formats. this is kind of where we're going but still have these lame provincial championships standing in the way. daft really.
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:50 pm

The provincials are basically trumped up O’Byrne and FBD leagues. Inter county teams train for the league, drop off if they’re safe in the sam Maguire and repeat a form of pre season throughout the provincials, aiming to peak at the end of the All Ireland group stages.

Give it a few years, the provincials will move in the calendar. We’re getting there.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2024 6:08 am

Padraic Joyce's celebrations at the end of the match today will be used as a stick to tell us all how the provincial championships still means everything to the players and managers and won't be done away with for years to come.
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2024 6:41 am

bloodsub wrote:
Padraic Joyce's celebrations at the end of the match today will be used as a stick to tell us all how the provincial championships still means everything to the players and managers and won't be done away with for years to come.

They should split galway in two. Will Mayo whinge like us?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2024 6:34 pm

Mayo would be entitled to whinge if the final was played in Galway every year. But its not and that is a big difference.

Lilywhite forever likes this post

Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 3:19 am

Is there a county board meeting on this week?
Back to top Go down
Strangler
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 3:40 am

Thelillywhites wrote:
Is there a county board meeting on this week?

I'm sure it will be over within the hour with a nothing to see here agenda !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2024   Leinster Championship 2024 - Page 28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leinster Championship 2024
Page 28 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next