Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestions for Next Management

Go down 
+68
jimmers
PaddyMartinKildare
StayDownOnIt
lilysavage
Kildare144
Thin Blue Line
OutSideOfTheBoot
MD
flourman
Onechance
bite the pillow
TheBigDog#
Morrissey
FlourBag_1
DannyBoy
Leead64
jim
KILL BILL
Fizzer
cuttothebone
Countyminor -84
bloodsub
Columbo
Cilldara_2000
Ned
Kildarelilly
lomond
if_in_doubt
TheGreatof1928
TommyKeegan
Kildare-Tom
Southern Gael
Liffey Likes
Highball
MickosMen
really_unofficial_kildare
RiseAgainKildare
Ontheterrace
SplitThePosts
ClaneLillywhite
Rex
LillieLad
rgb
TheManInTheStands
Twentyeight
Big Full Back
Botch
The flour bags
NorthernLily89
seamymurphy
newornowhere
Thelillywhites
lily92
BearintheSquare
moatesports
Badger85
murof
Ohtoohtobe
Lilywhite forever
Kildare999
shunta15
Clubman
Menolam
Blackadder
FionnMcCool
Flamingo
Gaa1928
micky murphy
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
MickosMen
Intercounty
Intercounty

Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 7:52 pm

Flanagan with Buckley as a coach would be a decent shout at this stage you would think.

LillieLad and Clubman like this post

Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 8:46 pm

Finally the week of the All Ireland, 6 days will tell us if Armagh are All Ireland champions. Should be a good game very close to call it.

Would lads prefer
McGeeney with Brian Flanagan or
Stephen Rochford with Donie Buckley?
Back to top Go down
Southern Gael
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 8:56 pm

Thelillywhites wrote:
Finally the week of the All Ireland, 6 days will tell us if Armagh are All Ireland champions. Should be a good game very close to call it.

Would lads prefer
McGeeney with Brian Flanagan or
Stephen Rochford with Donie Buckley?
McGeeney with Flanagan everytime for me anyway, I do think Flanagan with Buckley as coach would be a decent alternative

Thelillywhites likes this post

Back to top Go down
RiseAgainKildare
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 9:23 pm

An absolute waste of time talking about McGeeney. You think after that season (win or lose) that he is going to jump straight into a Kildare project? Kildare need a manager taking over soon. It will be Flanagan. He has zero experience so he will probably bring in some lads that we have kind of heard of to help him. That won't be a big name manager because no big name manager is going to play second fiddle to someone that has no experience of county management. Prepare to be underwhelmed Kildare fans but pray that it happens soon. My biggest fear is that Flanagan would be pals with many of the current crop and they wouldn't be intimidated by him so we will be looking at players operating at 70% once again for next year with no ruthlessness.
We need a bastard. We won't get one.
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 10:51 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I think he definitely did play a part in improving Mayo. They were a kick off the best team of all time throughout his time there.

No, they didn't win the All-Ireland. We are not at the level where we're trying to win the All-Ireland though. We're at the level where we're trying to keep it kicked out against Laois. I think Donie Buckley, having coached some of the best teams in the country for the past 20 years or so, might be able to help us with that.

Winning All Ireland's seems to be the barometer in which to become Kildare manager. Funny, though that we overlooked Burke for Ryan.
Ryan then turns out to be the worst Kildare manager in living memory.

Remember around the time of the removal of McGeeney and the argument was that he never won anything (even though he did).
Some people saying he was a charlatan, only in it for the money, had no tactical nous.

I would take Rochford and Buckley right now if they were interested. I suspect after one conversation with our county board reps, they'll see quite quickly why we're a Div.3 team heading for Division 4.
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 11:07 pm

How long would you have given the Geezer with Kildare? All management cycles have a shelf life. He was simply at the end of his.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 11:13 pm

Anyone of the aforementioned people would be a good choice. I think lads on here get pickey with candidates because they know how important it is and are basically terrified another wrong decision is the death knell for Kildare football. So you have extreme views desperate to move Kildare in the right direction which to be honest I can relate to.
This decision is so important I sincerely hope those making the call understand the gravity of another wrong turn.

The new man if from outside needs to immerse himself in Kildare GAA. That's why McGeeney was loved. He basically became a Lilywhite, one of us. Fought battles for us, gave everything he had for us and people followed his team in their thousands everywhere.

We need that again, a man to rally behind a team to be proud of. We don't need to win every game but we need to have pride back in the jersey. Something that has been missing a long time now.

KILL BILL, Flamingo, lilywhites on tour, OutTheGap, lilysavage, LillieLad, Thelillywhites and like this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 11:40 pm

I think that we need to see an improvement in all facets of the team and the preparation. We'd all love some big names and some buzz, but we need to have foundations in place.

Ideally it's someone who is not going to jump if they are doing well after 2 years when a nicer job comes up. It's set-up where we get back to good standing and then plough on again.

We have zero history of bringing underage talent through properly and there are a fair few experienced lads who might step away. We might need a players regroup too in fairness and we should not think we are above Div 3.

I'd like some update but then again Davy went public last time and we had a back and forth here over Glenn getting it. I just hope that when we find out the full set-up is on show eg who are selectors, S&C and other backroom crew.

Southern Gael likes this post

Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 5:49 am

Rex wrote:
Anyone of the aforementioned people would be a good choice. I think lads on here get pickey with candidates because they know how important it is and are basically terrified another wrong decision is the death knell for Kildare football. So you have extreme views desperate to move Kildare in the right direction which to be honest I can relate to.
This decision is so important I sincerely hope those making the call understand the gravity of another wrong turn.

The new man if from outside needs to immerse himself in Kildare GAA. That's why McGeeney was loved. He basically became a Lilywhite, one of us. Fought battles for us, gave everything he had for us and people followed his team in their thousands everywhere.

We need that again, a man to rally behind a team to be proud of. We don't need to win every game but we need to have pride back in the jersey. Something that has been missing a long time now.

Nail on the head Rex.

Which is why, I would prefer it to be Mcgeeney with Brian Flanagan. He was as you said an honoury lillywhite.
Not sure if Kildare would get that type of loyalty with Rochford and Buckley, Mickey Harte, Malachy O' Rourke etc.
I'll keep hoping its Mcgeeney with Brian Flanagan until Mcgeeney says himself he's staying put in Armagh.
Sunday will tell a lot.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 6:25 am

Thelillywhites wrote:
Rex wrote:

Nail on the head Rex.

Which is why, I would prefer it to be Mcgeeney with Brian Flanagan. He was as you said an honoury lillywhite.
Not sure if Kildare would get that type of loyalty with Rochford and Buckley, Mickey Harte, Malachy O' Rourke etc.
I'll keep hoping its Mcgeeney with Brian Flanagan until Mcgeeney says himself he's staying put in Armagh.
Sunday will tell a lot.
God love your optimism on Mcgeeney coming back! He has spent years getting his native county to an AI final and win or lose they won't part with him easily. The prospect of taking on a Div 3 in freefall won't interest him in the slightest. He was just being polite when he was asked about returning to Kildare.
Our next managerial appointment will be low key and underwhelming but will surely be an improvement on the last 3 years. It should be finalised soon to watch the club championship ideally.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 6:29 am

We'd call Flanno or Burke low key more than likely but I'd have them over SOME names.

As I keep saying, building something solid is key. Then see where we end up.

White Bridge likes this post

Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 8:42 am

Much as I would love McGeeney back, I would also like to see Taylor Swift singing Amhram na bhFiann at the opening of the new stand in St. Conleth's but it ain't happening

White Bridge and Kildare-Tom like this post

Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 8:47 am

Talk about Kildare fans being picky and stuck up as regards coach Donnie Buckley. It gets worse with regards to Cian O'Neill.

Galway’s semi-final victory over Donegal last Sunday saw Cian O'Neill reach yet another All-Ireland final as a coach/trainer

- Tipperary Senior Hurlers (2009, 2010, 2011)
- Mayo Senior Footballers (2012)
- Kerry Senior Footballers (2014, 2015)
- Galway Senior Footballers (2022, 2024)

Ohtoohtobe likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 5:25 pm

Liffey Likes wrote:
Talk about Kildare fans being picky and stuck up as regards coach Donnie Buckley. It gets worse with regards to Cian O'Neill.

Galway’s semi-final victory over Donegal last Sunday saw Cian O'Neill reach yet another All-Ireland final as a coach/trainer

- Tipperary Senior Hurlers (2009, 2010, 2011)
- Mayo Senior Footballers (2012)
- Kerry Senior Footballers (2014, 2015)
- Galway Senior Footballers (2022, 2024)

Cian was manager of Kildare, not a coach. He's never managed any other team before or after. They are two completely different jobs so comparing them is pointless. If Flanagan came in with O'Neill as a coach no one would have anything negative to say.

Clubman and DannyBoy like this post

Back to top Go down
Kildare-Tom
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 7:18 pm

KILL BILL wrote:
Much as I would love McGeeney back,  I would also like to see Taylor Swift singing Amhram na bhFiann at the opening of the new stand in St. Conleth's but it ain't happening

Johnny Peters is much better!!!

Flamingo and LillieLad like this post

Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 8:17 pm

Just to give a sense of reality on the management front and people dismissing great management teams above do some people on here realise we are currently swimming in the same pool as Laois, Leitrim, Clare, Sligo, Antrim, Offaly and Fermanagh.......
We need to get a strong management team in place to re-build and i think the right choice will do that but please some reality GAA people.......
Great analogy above some of the names we talking would be like asking Mr Joyce to go manage Antrim next year...
And I'm not getting into a KMcG discussion and i suggest anyone that does are just wasting their valuable time....
Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2024 8:21 pm

murof wrote:
Thelillywhites wrote:
Rex wrote:

Nail on the head Rex.

Sunday will tell a lot.
God love your optimism on Mcgeeney coming back! He has spent years getting his native county to an AI final and win or lose they won't part with him easily. The prospect of taking on a Div 3 in freefall won't interest him in the slightest. He was just being polite when he was asked about returning to Kildare.
Our next managerial appointment will be low key and underwhelming but will surely be an improvement on the last 3 years. It should be finalised soon to watch the club championship ideally.

Wont interest him in the slightest?
Yet Armagh were in division 3 in 2017 and 2018.

Look where they are now Sunday. Year on year they've been going up in the divsions and operating in between Division 1 and 2 since.
Back to top Go down
Southern Gael
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 1:00 am

micky murphy wrote:
Just to give a sense of reality on the management front and people dismissing great management teams above do some people on here realise we are currently swimming in the same pool as Laois, Leitrim, Clare, Sligo, Antrim, Offaly and Fermanagh.......
We need to get a strong management team in place to re-build and i think the right choice will do that but please some reality GAA people.......
Great analogy above some of the names we talking would be like asking Mr Joyce to go manage Antrim next year...
And I'm not getting into a KMcG discussion and i suggest anyone that does are just wasting their valuable time....

Antrim were not in Division 1 two years ago, they did not contest two u20 All-Ireland finals, winning one, Antrim schools are not contesting Hogan Cups etc. A little perspective is needed. We are in a dark place, poor management and lack of overall county board leadership are major cause of that. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, thinking like a division 3/Tailteann Cup team. That's what Mick Gorman have done. We need to show some ambition. We're not demanding Leinsters or All+Irelands, but simply that we maximise the playing resources we do have. There's nothing wrong with seeking the best and not simply settling for mediocrity as our Co Board have for too long

KILL BILL, Thelillywhites, Leead64 and The rising sun like this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 1:12 am

More whispers from my mate in Ulster about Harte...
Back to top Go down
RiseAgainKildare
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 1:15 am

Flamingo wrote:
More whispers from my mate in Ulster about Harte...

Yes. County board drooling over him as soon as he made contact by all accounts.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 1:34 am

Ive heard strong rumours on Harte aswell
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 1:35 am

I appreciate the whole reality check but part of my issue with him is the fact that he jumped from Louth when Derry was an option.

That's a bit too close to the bone after Jacko. Is he really the man for a rebuild. Something we need.

Who would come in?

Thelillywhites likes this post

Back to top Go down
TheGreatof1928
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 1:42 am

LillieLad wrote:
Jesus we have some high opinion of ourselves, turning our nose up at the likes of Donie Buckley. Mayo players have said he is one of the best coaches they have worked with. His tackling drills are apparently up there with the toughest sessions out there.

It's incredible. I would say Kildare fans are easily the most deluded bunch in the country. So much parochial bollox aswell.

The selction process is already a joke. And we wonder why mediocricity is rife? From County Boards to supporters expectations the whole place is toxic and it will take a very strong leader to turn it around.

We don't necessarily need to be winning competitions given how poor we have been recently. But we need to be winning games and see grit and progress back in the jersey before the winning of competions comes. We need standards to improve across the board.

It won't be an overnight fix and fans need to manage their expections accordingly.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 1:56 am

Southern Gael wrote:
micky murphy wrote:

Antrim were not in Division 1 two years ago, they did not contest two u20 All-Ireland finals, winning one, Antrim schools are not contesting Hogan Cups etc. A little perspective is needed. We are in a dark place, poor management and lack of overall county board leadership are major cause of that. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, thinking like a division 3/Tailteann Cup team. That's what Mick Gorman have done. We need to show some ambition. We're not demanding Leinsters or All+Irelands, but simply that we maximise the playing resources we do have. There's nothing wrong with seeking the best and not simply settling for mediocrity as our Co Board have for too long

We talk about all this talent, but I don't see it.
Look at the 2 All Ireland winning U20 teams.
Aaron O’Neill; Mark Dempsey, Mark Barrett, DJ Earley, Stephen Comerford, Jason Gibbons, Jack Bambrick, Aaron Masterson, David Marnell, Darragh Ryan, Padraig Nash, Tony Archbold, Jimmy Hyland, Brian McLoughlin, Paddy Woodgate. Matthew Betts Symonds, Mark Glynn, John O’Toole, Cian Costigan, Sam Doran, Shane O’Sullivan

If my memory serves correctly, 10 of those lads have been involved at some stage. A few not even playing with their clubs and a good few went travelling.

Cormac Barker; Harry O'Neill, Tomas Von Engelbrechten, Ryan Burke; James Harris, James McGrath, Jack McKevitt; Niall Dolan, Shane Farrell, Ryan Sinkey, Callum Bolton, Colm Dalton; Adam Fanning, Seán Hanafin, Oisín O'Sullivan. Eoin Cully Ethan Mountaine Killian Browne Sam Savage Daire Guerin

4 in with the seniors already. 9 were u20 for 2024 and 2 U20 for 2025.

I'm not saying they won't make great players in the future but it's going to take time for those lads to develop. And the big question is, are they willing to graft for the 2,3 maybe 4 years before they make it. Consistency and staying power will be key for whatever manager comes in.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 1:58 am

It really won't be an overnight fix and it might get worse depending on who is leaving or available next year. We won't stroll Div 3.

That's a reason for me not to pay Harte (and a selector from outside) big bucks. He would jump if a better call came.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Next Management
Page 14 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next