Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rainbow

Go down 
+21
kildarecat
Lilly07
if_in_doubt
walsheman
Come on the Boys in Blue
Nextyear
croker
Derfil
kartman
stanley
tomcruise
Sam1928
Fear An Geata
Could'nt Trap Cement
Ogie
kickingking
ElGuerrouj
gremlin
Jimmy winning matches
Rex
gaaweb
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gaaweb
Senior
Senior

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Lads if he really is going to retire this year then I think he deserves his own thread.

He has certainly given us some great memories over the years and a nicer fella you could never meet. He has to have signed more autographs and gotten into more photos than any other player.

Whilst I think he fully deserves to retire and finally spend some time with his family after his years of services would anyone else see him staying on with the setup in a selectors capacity. I know he the respect of all the players and it would be great for him to learn from the master and maybe move into management himself in the future.

As for shoutitout's idea about a final game to show our appreciation I think it's a great idea. So I'm going to eat my own words and try to join the official forum to encourage Padraig to back the fixture. I know it would be difficult to organise with all the club championship games scheduled in the next few weeks but we need to have a fitting tribute for such a legend.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 pm

J.D said in his interview that he hoped he would stay on in some capacity and if J.D says he is very important to the squad then that is good enough for me. I'm sure geezer will find a role for him.

As for the man, I don't know him at all personally but I have never heard or seen anything written bad about him, a consummate professional by all accounts and a damn nice bloke to top it all off. A legend and again if J.D says he's the best he has seen in a white jersey what more can you say about him.

The legends that are Rainbow, J.D and Dermot, their like will never be seen again in this county. One has called time, just enjoy the other two for another small while because once they are gone the world of Kildare football will be a lesser place.

Thanks Rainbow for all you have done.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:30 pm

a ture gentleman on and off field
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Junior A
Junior A

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:54 pm

Yes, " he's some man for one man". One of our all-time greats. Don't worry about him giving up football, he could no more give up football than eating or breathing, it's his source of life. He has been the pin-up guy for females from the ages of 8 to 80. Best of luck to him in whatever he decides to do and many many thanks for all the great memories.
Back to top Go down
ElGuerrouj
Intercounty
Intercounty

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:58 pm

Can't see that testimonial game being a runner lads. It's just not workable, they're gonna be championship now every week until late October, at by that stage the appetite for a game like this will have died down.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:10 pm

How about making the White-Stars game a testimonial for Anthony?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 pm

The man needs to be recognised in some way, I just hope it's done.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Is the White Stars not gone? There was none last year anyway. Rainbow, some legend
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:34 pm

Bring it back for Anthony so if that's the case.

I'd have to agree with ElGuerrouj that a testimonial in the next few weeks is a non-runner. It sounds like a great idea but with so much club activity over the next month and a half, it just isn't workable. A White-Stars game at Christmas, or over the New Year doubling as a testimonial for Anthony (and anyone else who is hanging up the boots) is the way to go IMO.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Straight from the Chairman's keyboard

"Yes I would fully agree with all the sentiments expressed.
I believe we have an exceptionally talented group of players who have the ability to bring silverware to Kildare in the very near future. This year’s performances of courage, determination and skill will live long in the memory of all who witnessed and followed the journey. I will certainly raise your point of fans showing their appreciation with all concerned. It may not be possible at the moment as the players are taking a few days well earned break after Sunday’s disappointment and are then back with their clubs for the remainder of the championship.Next weekend is complicated with our minor hurlers in Navan on Saturday the All Ireland Hurling final on Sunday and a number of league finals. I would certainly agree that we should do something, but it may be necessary to wait until county final day when something appropriate could be held in an organised manner.
Will address this matter again after further discussions have taken place."

Now I've had a moan or two about him in the past but credit were it's due. An excellent response. That Ask the Chairman feature is like having a bat phone direct to the batcave.
Back to top Go down
Could'nt Trap Cement
Senior
Senior

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 am

Yh have to agree that ask the chairman part to the new kildare forum is very good
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 am

Have to concur with everything said above. Anthony has been a brilliant servant to Kildare football over two decades. Always has time to sign autographs, stand into photos, present medals to kids ....... etc. A true gentleman.

I'd hope that he will continue to be involved in some capacity with the Co. team next year. Although if that happens will there be one less person needed further down the line. Could fone carburyman lose his job as water carrier ? Will we be losing our man on the inside ?

Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 10:48 am

Rainbow Glen-ant

One of the iconic images of Kildare GAA and its fitting Rainbow is in it.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 am

A thorough gent.Remember ending up at his 21st ( a long time ago ) in the Curragh camp with Dermot Doyle from Allenwood and a few others.Also remember he day he literally froze in Derry.

One of our greatest ever footballers and an All - Star in 2000 to boot !!!

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks to Anthony Rainbow for all the days of enjoyment and entertainment you have given the followers of Kildare, as said before a true gentleman on and off the field.
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 3:49 pm

Rainbow calls time on 20-year career

31 August 2010

Kildare's evergreen half back Anthony Rainbow has announced his inter-county retirement in the wake of Sunday's heartbreaking All-Ireland semi-final loss to Down.

The Suncroft clubman informed team-mates after Sunday's defeat of his plans to bring the curtain down on the longest existing career in inter-county football. Rainbow made his NFL debut for the Lilywhites in 1990, but had to wait a further two years for Mick O'Dwyer to hand him his first championship start. And despite a lack of game-time in recent seasons, he remained an important member of Kieran McGeeney's panel.

Rainbow, who will turn 39 in October, played in Kildare's last All-Ireland final appearance in 1998 and was one of the finest half backs of his generation.

Rainbow's club colleague Killian Brennan is also expected to quit inter-county football, while supporters will be keeping their fingers crossed that Kildare's other elder statesmen, Dermot Earley (33) and Johnny Doyle (32), don't follow them into retirement.

I was hoping he'd give it one more year,if nothing else he'd be excellent guy to have in the dressing room.I feel its a better option than finding a job for him.
When fit this year he did a good job,its a pity he got injured because he looked set for a champ start.I'm sure he could do the same next year.
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:20 pm

All the best for the future Anthony. Class act. Thanks for the memories.
Back to top Go down
croker
Junior A
Junior A

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 9:42 pm

Rainbow you were one of the best backs of my time and a gentleman as well.
Thank you and best of luck to you and your family
Back to top Go down
Nextyear
Junior C
Junior C

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 am

One of the best wing backs to play the game. In the years 98-00 himself and Sean Og De Paor were neck and neck for the best left wing back in Ireland. That Sean Og has Two All Irelands to show for it no reflection on Rainbow himself, who always had the respect of his peers and rivals. His performance against Galway in All Ireland Semi in 2000, and the drawn Offaly game that same year were him at his best. A living legend.
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 4:53 am

Another gent of the highest order , had a gargle with the man one year in rathagan , sound as a pound and great crack , another man who derseves a celtic cross for sheer commitment to the lillies
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 2:05 pm

best of luck to him,true legend!!
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Absolute hero of the game, such a great attitude and approach and always willing to help out underage teams with coaching sessions and medal presentations.

Can't see any reason he won't be around the panel next year, if he's not on the sideline or in the stand for the seniors he'll definitely be involved with the under 21's or minors. Will be a big asset to have around for the younger lads who are being introduced to the senior team.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm

I see on the official forum or splitters forum if you like, that they are holding a competition to find out how to honor him. I suppose anybody who adds their idea will I suppose not be frowned upon on here. Wink. Maybe they could change the Name of St.Conleths to St. Rainbow's or name an end after him, then it would be called Rainbows End.
Back to top Go down
Lilly07
Junior A
Junior A

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Comptetion
Kildare stalwart Anthony Rainbow retired from intercounty football
yesterday the 31st of August. Anthony played for Kildare for over 20
years and won 2 Leinster titles and an all-star in 2000. Kildare county board are looking for a way to honur this dedicated servant of Kildare football.
For this reason we are running a competition for the best idea on
how to mark Anthonys retirement. Post your suggestions on the offical forum.
Closing date for suggestions is 7th of September.

The prize for the best suggestion is two tickets to this years county football final.

follow the link below to post ure suggestions

http://forum.kildaregaa.ie/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29

here is a link to the home page of the offical forum

http://forum.kildaregaa.ie/index.php
Back to top Go down
ElGuerrouj
Intercounty
Intercounty

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Lilly07 wrote:
The prize for the best suggestion is two tickets to this years county football final.

They really went all out on the prize didn't they :p
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rainbow   Rainbow Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rainbow
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next