Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

McGeeney Must stay.

Go down 
+32
ChopperDalton
White Bridge
parcel
BelieveToAchieve
Frankel
stanley
if_in_doubt
ElGuerrouj
kildarecat
Could'nt Trap Cement
Lily8
kickingking
Cilldara_2000
peile
Sam1928
geezerslilywhites
walsheman
Ogie
KILL BILL
wingback
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Pure White
johnsmyth
murof
Derfil
jobluts
MD
topcat
Rex
fargo
mrblobby
carburyman
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

McGeeney Must stay. Empty
PostSubject: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 2:07 am

Just a thread to state that McGeeney must continue as Bainisteoir of Kildare.

Thats is all, hopefully lads will get in behind me on this.
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 2:20 am

Have to agree fionnmccool,there is one thing that kildare gaa must do,that is to keep Gezzer and the back room team,haven said that i did hear that gezzer did say there is only so much time and effort can you put in,,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 2:29 am

that doesn't sound like something McGeeney would say carburyman to be honest. He is after all a man who went to unbelievable lengths to make himself good enough and fit enough bring Sam back to Armagh.
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 2:41 am

Think myself that we wont walk away.This man is a winner,and until he brings sliverware to kildare he will stay on..
Back to top Go down
mrblobby
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 3:40 am

Agreed, simply must stay. End of story
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 3:45 am

Not denying his good and even inspirational work in some facets there is a danger of turning this into an almost cult.A lot of things need to be looked at here ,he had unprecedented (by any county standards) to players and came up short again.The club scene in Kildare is extremely flat and in danger of entering a downward curve a situation definately not being helped by tying up anything up to 40 players from all league action an postponing the premier two championship grades .In effect we went all out this year everyone backed the management and lads.The situation deserves far more debate than a simple Mcgeeney must stay in my humble opinion thats all lads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 3:52 am

Ok fair enough fargo your entitled to your opinion.

Its up to the County Board to run the "premier" competitions in Kildare.

Its very easy for the likes of Cork and Kerry to run off a couple of their their club championship games.

They are almost guaranteed last 8 every year and a Munster final appearance.

I challenge you to suggest and alternative, an alternative manager that will IMPROVE Kildare GAA.
And also an alternative way of running the Club championship to suit everyone?
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 4:14 am

Whoa there on the challenges there Fionn , its merely an opinion as i might remind you is yours .You say improve Kildare GAA what other improvements to Kildare Gaa do you credit Geezer with than the senior team management?.Geezer has had 4 seasons if im not mistaken , obviously enough its a subjective question you pose ,but if you are prepared to give anyone of suitable aptitude and age profile that sort of backing (overlooking losses to division 3 and 4 counties in provincial championship) culminating with unlimited acess to all players.Theyd be in with a some sort of chance of bringing a county on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 am

I thought as much fargo.

Hot air and predictable. The usual losing to division 3/4 teams but no real substance to your argument.

Waiting on you now to bring up Kevin O'Neill to really finish off your tremendous offence.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 4:45 am

In a word, yes he must stay.

Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 5:09 am

Of course McGeeny must stay, that goes without saying.

The format of the club championship has to be changed, I believe we should use the same system employed in Dublin.

1st round:

Open draw involving all 16 teams, this gives 8 winners and 8 losers, extra time played in the event of a draw.

2nd round:

8 winners from round 1 play off against each other, winners of these games go through to the quarter finals.

1st round qualifiers:

8 losers from round 1 play off against each other, the 4 losers from these games go into the relegation play offs, winners progress to 2nd round of the qualifiers. Home advantage given to first team drawn out

2nd round qualifiers:

4 winners from round qualifiers play off against 4 losers from round 2, winners progress to quarter finals.

Quarter Finals

Round 2 winners versus the 4 winners from the round 1 qualifiers. Home advantage to be given to round 2 winners, this provides an advantage to teams who are undefeated at this stage.

This system immediately gets rid of one round, it also make matches very competitive straight away, as their is a major advantage to going through by winning your first two games. Teams can only afford to lose once in order to make quarter finals, this I believe is much better than the current long winded system we have.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 5:21 am

Kevin o Neill ? ,thats a bit left field !, the thing is that you are prepared to present facts in a certain way that only the confidence of 846 posts can confer !. quarter final appearances are undoubted progress ,failure to achieve silverware is merely the by product of a great plan that some people dont get.I merely dared to suggest a debate should be had and the inevitable happens .
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 am

Geezer is the best thing that has ever happened to this county and if we do not retain his services we will not see sucess. I think he will stay too, there is two years left on his deal he is not a quitter and I can see silverware under him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 5:47 am

I tried to engage in a debate and asked you to suggest alternatives to the current set up both management and club championship arrangement and u danced around fluttering ur arms atoms saying it was only your opinion.

Well back it up then
Back to top Go down
jobluts
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 6:25 am

stupid topic,of course mcgeeney will stay ,why would he leave ?where could he go to ?who would want him ?in this county he is t boss,t county board are afraid of him ,he is probably getting a good wage .if i was in his position i would be quiet content
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 am

Facts to you are an irrelevance Fionn unless they support a single very narrow perspective ,facts like it has taken Jimmy Mcguiness only one season to bring Donegal as far as it took Geezer 3 three seasons to bring ourselves picking up a provincial title and Div. 2 along with promotion to Division 1. Im as willing to have a debate as the next man if im in the humour but its as easy to keep it pleasant as get nasty. Geezer is in the estimation of 1000s of excellent gaa men yourself included an excellent coach ,but excellent coaches have come up short for various reasons in the past and we seem to be the epitomy of it under his regime.Eddie o Sullivan with the Irish rugby team springs to mind.
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 7:25 am

100% behind Geezer and the management team. They must stay and continue the good work to date. We're not a million miles off the Dubs and that should bring a much needed Leinster title. Hope the lads can get over this defeat take some time out, enjoy the club football and get back at it again for next year knowing they can make that next step. No doubt Geezer is the man to drive that.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 am

Seeing Crofton being interviewed yesterday reminded me of how bad Kildare were in 2007. Have people forgotten the embarassing defeats to Meath and Louth, the latter game in Newbridge. Its easy to say that McGeeney has had 4 years but it took 2 years to get us into a position to compete at the top level. We were desperately unlucky not to reach and imo win the All Ireland last year. This year started with a major setback losing Kelly and Earley ( 2 all stars ) and the conntinued absence of Conway. Once we lost Lynch I knew we had no chance of winnig Sam. If we can introduce the new talent that we clearly have and stay clear of injuries we have as big a chance as most of the top teams. Dont give up now Kieran.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 8:18 am

I would like to see him stay but only if he wants to stay and for the right reasons. If he's lost belief himself then he will and should go. So one question, has he lost belief ? If he has then very little can change that especially for a man of his qualities. I hope though that dermot can return and he's certainly not beyond it, and i hope the likes of himself peter kelly m conway and h lynch are enough to convince him that this kildare panel has enough for one last shot. I've been disappointed long enough but i still hold on to the my optimism and hope that someday we can overcome all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 am

fargo wrote:
Facts to you are an irrelevance Fionn unless they support a single very narrow perspective ,facts like it has taken Jimmy Mcguiness only one season to bring Donegal as far as it took Geezer 3 three seasons to bring ourselves picking up a provincial title and Div. 2 along with promotion to Division 1. Im as willing to have a debate as the next man if im in the humour but its as easy to keep it pleasant as get nasty. Geezer is in the estimation of 1000s of excellent gaa men yourself included an excellent coach ,but excellent coaches have come up short for various reasons in the past and we seem to be the epitomy of it under his regime.Eddie o Sullivan with the Irish rugby team springs to mind.

I'll give you a fact fargo :

As a child Einstein couldn't speak properly until he was 9 years of age, his parents thought he was mentally retarded.

Thats similar to the fact you spat out about Jim McGuiness and Eddie O'Sullivan its irrelevant to Kildare and Kildare GAA.

This will be the the third time I will ask you to come up with an alternative to Kieran McGeeney and an Alternative to the way the club championship is being run. Will a potential new manager not want similar access to his players and will this not pose problems also?

You can debate without getting nasty surely?

I'll give you a relevant fact fargo.
One of the best managers in the History of the GAA Mick O'Dwyer took 6 years and 2 bites(1st 91,92,93,94 2nd 97,98) at the cherry to win a Leinster title with Kildare.

We are a fucking enigma wrapped in conundrum shrouded with mystery.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Einstein is it ,isnt he the very man credited with saying something along the line of the definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results ?.It was your good self Fionn who initiated the nasty aspect ,you dont think the track record of someone playint the very same sort of football in a county of roughly similar profile is relevant ? .What is relevant ?,is it the measure of sucess for Kildare that you have what we are achieving now ?.Straight question ?,and as regards acess to the players no other county has ever effectively decided to grant unlimited access to the county players from club league competitions as kildare did and postpone a championship round .Do you think that the type of return we are getting is good for the effective backing the management are getting?.As it stands right now after going as far down the path as we have with geezer so many players careers are linked to him especially some of the older ones that it would be hard to change but that doesent mean if he stays on were going to achieve anything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:02 pm

How do you equate that Kildare have similar profile to Donegal and play the same sort of football?

Donegal won a national league title in 2007 and won the All Ireland in 1992. Kildare have never won the national League, and its been 93 years since we won an All Ireland and it going to be at least 94 at this stage.

I would have thought someone of your footballing knowledge fargo would at least have the cop on to think that in Kildare we're not entitled to win silverware year on year we dont have the tradition nor the pedigree.
Now I do think it is possible that we should have won one Leinster in the last 2/3 years but we didnt, but we weren't too far away to be fair.

After that for me your success is measured on your progress in the All Ireland series. In that under McGeeney we've reached the last eight three times and the last four once in that we were the lick of paint on a cross bar away from reaching an All Ireland final. Under our previous 2 managers we didnt win any titles, nor could we win qualifier matches. Under McGeeney we've never lost a qualifier match, I think his record speaks for itself.

On that I ask you where are Down this year? McCartan was hailed as one of the best young managers around last year but couldn't follow it up this year. Year on Year I believe we have improved under McGeeney, whether is been our scoring rate, our defence or improving 3 or 4 individual players or finding new players. Each year we've improved ourselves or our footing for the coming year,in my opinion.Cork,Kerry,Dublin,Tyrone and Kildare the only teams to reach the last 8 constantly in the last 4 years.

I would like to hear your measure of success. Laois were promoted from Division 2 under McNulty, we beat them out the gate in in Portlaoise only 4 weeks ago.

You say Club Football in Kildare is flat and in danger of a downward curve, on what are you basing this outrageous claim on.
Aside from the championships being run in late in the year club football in Kildare is very competitive.
Ballymore won Leinster intermediate, Moorefield are one of the best clubs in Leinster full stop.

In the last few years we have seen the emergence of Celbridge and St Laurences as Senior Club champions. In the future I think we'll see Athy and Sarsfield come good.

Again fargo for the 4th time I ask you to come up with an Alternative to McGeeney and an alternative to the way the club championship is being run.
Remember if McGeeney does go I think some of the current bunch of players would be finished.
Doyle,Earley and Sweeney might all hang up their boots. Whilst other may not have the hunger for a new manager.
Some players have toyed with the idea of travelling abroad in the past. Who knows who we could or would lose.
How many more years then would we be waiting on your measure of success?

Last edited by fionnmccool on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pure White
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:13 pm

jobluts wrote:
stupid topic,of course mcgeeney will stay ,why would he leave ?where could he go to ?who would want him ?in this county he is t boss,t county board are afraid of him ,he is probably getting a good wage .if i was in his position i would be quiet content

And Stupid comments!! why would he leave? well maybe after 4 years he feels he has brought Kildare as far as he can (Personally I think if Doyle and a fit Early returned along with Peter kelly and a fit Conway we have an All Ireland in this team)
Where would he go? Most stupid stupid comment... where ever he wanted he won't be short of offers. Who would want him? who wouldn't want him???

To Answer Fionns question, McGeaney absolutely to stay !
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:24 pm

johnsmyth wrote:
I would like to see him stay but only if he wants to stay and for the right reasons. If he's lost belief himself then he will and should go. So one question, has he lost belief ? If he has then very little can change that especially for a man of his qualities. I hope though that dermot can return and he's certainly not beyond it, and i hope the likes of himself peter kelly m conway and h lynch are enough to convince him that this kildare panel has enough for one last shot. I've been disappointed long enough but i still hold on to the my optimism and hope that someday we can overcome all.

You've hit the nail on the head, johnsmyth.

There is no question of his having to stay. The contract is there but he may well feel he can't get any more out of this team or he may feel he can't get any more out of himself with this panel.

On a positive note - the sister Anne says that if some of the posters who hurl abuse would play on the senior team we could be challenging Kilkenny for a Leinster senior hurling championship!!.

Back to top Go down
wingback
Senior
Senior

Location : Two Mile House and Poulaphouca, Blacktrench, Cutbush and Boolea

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:38 pm

tomoneillandhissisteranne wrote:

On a positive note - the sister Anne says that if some of the posters who hurl abuse would play on the senior team we could be challenging Kilkenny for a Leinster senior hurling championship!!.

LOL post of the year right there!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney Must stay.   McGeeney Must stay. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

McGeeney Must stay.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next