Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare team v Derry

Go down 
+25
centreback
midfieldmaestro
walsheman
peile
Sam1928
Admin
wingback
kildarecat
gibbs
Yellow Pearl
Jimmy winning matches
Son of Sarsfields
abl
Always_White
carburyman
bob12
Stonecold
Ogie
Rex
lilypremier
flourman
kickingking
Ohtoohtobe
kartman
MD
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

Kildare team v Derry Empty
PostSubject: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 1:58 am

I honestly think Tomas O Connor should start. We will have a lot of ball and if utilise the height and the catching ability of Tomas we could win a lot of ball in the air and get a lot of scores from it. Id drop Eoghan o Flats and put Rolly Sweeney into the half forward line. Either from that I dont think any other changes are needed.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 2:24 am

I would say we don't get enough scores from hitting it into the full forward,it looks great and no doubt tomás has great hands but the success rate from it is not good enough.

Also presumably most will want smith to start as well... do we drop two forwards?

I would start the same team but this time we will have to use smith at some stage.
Tomás o'c is an option if we need to change how we are playing.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 am

Nah I disagree don't think O'Connor has shown enough, one catch against Leitrim to lead to the goal all right, but ball will be harder caught against Derry. He played full-forward for a long time under Crofton and it didn't work. Maybe try it in the league next year or use it as an option if things are going wrong, but too big a risk to build a gameplan around this tactic.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 2:39 am

Derry were vulnerable under the high ball against Westmeath by all accounts. Martin Flanagan is supposed to have caused them all sorts of bother. O'Connor should definitely be considered if Smith isn't deemed fit enough to start. He was very young when he played there under Nolan and Crofton - when we played Sligo in '05 under Nolan it was his first year out of minor.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 2:47 am

Ah Ohtoohtobe - surely you can't judge O'Connor on his time under Crofton/Nolan ... he was just a kid then. He has bulked up something unreal in the last two years and has the leap of a salmon now as well.
If Derry struggled with Flanagan - O'Connor could have a field day.

Last edited by flourman on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 2:53 am

Kickingkick - that would have made him 18 in 2005. Is he really only 23 now? I would have thought he was 25/26?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 2:56 am

Must be Flourman. He played wing-back on the minor team that reached the Leinster Final in '04 and lost to Kerry in the quarters down in Limerick. He came on at half-time in the '05 qualifier up in Sligo.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:16 am

Must say I don't really remember him played U21 football - or did he?
Back to top Go down
lilypremier
Senior
Senior
lilypremier

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:31 am

Definatley think that Oconner should play . Hes tall and strong lad so he'll be goos for the high ball. Also any news on Smith? Is he available to play? HE is a good goal poacher, one that we havent had in a while so if he is available Geezer should start him too.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:38 am

Geezer usually stays loyal to the lads that have their place. I can't seen any changes apart from Smith if he is fit for Saturday. O' Connor is a good weapon to bring on if you need to change things.

The bench has certainly improved over the last couple of games and still we have Mikey Conway out and Rob Kelly. Get over this game and anything is possible.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:41 am

flourman wrote:
Must say I don't really remember him played U21 football - or did he?

I think he played on the '05 team that was beaten in an u21 final replay against the Dubs in Croke Park - Kavanagh, Conway, Paudie, Foley, Scanlon, Glavin, the Lonergans and Hugh Lynch were also on that team.

In '06 he was on the u21s that beat both Dublin and Meath but somehow managed to lose to Longford in Newbridge (similar story to our minors this year!).

Kildare - S McCormack; C Fadian, E Naughton, I Lonergan; M Scanlon, R Glavin, E Bolton; J Kavanagh, R Kelly; T O'Connor, R Dunne, G White; A Smyth, P O'Neill, M O'Sullivan. Subs: K Kelly for Dunne (47), D Brennan for Lonergan (50), P Golden for O'Connor (55)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/dempseys-switches-pay-off-for-longford-128214.html

I also found the minor team that played Kerry in 2004 and O'Connor was indeed at wing-back:

Kildare: J Kindregen; D McEvoy, K Healy, I Lonergan; T O’Connor, J Creighton, D Brennan; P O’Neill (0-2), G White; B Bell, A Smith, C Kelly (0-1); M Conway (0- 4, 0-2 frees), C Hughes (0-2), P Dunne (0-1). Subs: M O’Sullivan (1-0) for A Smith,B Coyle for K Healy, L Heavins for J Creighton.

http://archives.tcm.ie/thekingdom/2004/08/05/story14320.asp
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:43 am

He did play under 21, came on in the 2005 U21 Leinster final replay at midfield and did very well.
I'm not judging him on the Crofton era as such, just saying he is unproven at this level and needs more gametime before we decide he's good enough to build our gameplan around him for a vital knockout game.
Personally I would see him more as a midfield option, he lacks the finishing ability to be a successful full-forward in the Donaghy/Clarke mould. Look at the near open goal he missed against Antrim.
Good player though, and hope he makes a go of it after a hard time with injury. Just saying I wouldn't start him full-forward on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 4:33 am

flourman wrote:
Ah Ohtoohtobe - surely you can't judge O'Connor on his time under Crofton/Nolan ... he was just a kid then. He has bulked up something unreal in the last two years and has the leap of a salmon now as well.
If Derry struggled with Flanagan - O'Connor could have a field day.

Hold on, you're comparing Martin Flanagan and Tomás O'Connor?! Tomás hasn't 10% of Flanagan's football. What he does have is a mighty leap, even more than a mighty pair of hands. Not in a month of Sundays could he kick points over his head, or score a goal like Flanagan got against Louth in the Leinster semi-final. He wouldn't be a great point kicker from in front of the posts even.

I'd agree that he is a man to be brought in to change things around. I could not see him as a starter unless he does more than catch one ball. And if he does, by all means. Certainly, in all the county and club football I've seen him play, there hasn't been the end product. He held his head well Saturday night and I hope there's plenty more to come but for now, he's best utilised as a sub.

There is only one possible change to my mind and that's Smithy for Flats Óg
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:50 am

I would like to see the following team;
Flood
Kelly, McCrillen, Mac
Flats, Bolton, Chalky
Flynn, Earley
JD, P O'Neill, Roli
Leper, O'Connor, Smithy

Troll away...................
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 am

good team stonecold

2 questions
1: Is Dermo Ok seemed to be limping coming off the other night and ran out of steam
2: Is Smithy fit ?? - would like to see him come off the bench give young flats another shot?
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 6:16 am

Its a pity Eoghan wasn't available for the league because I don't doubt his potential but there is something amiss and I can't put my finger on it.
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 6:37 am

think kildare will win,not bye much,this team as more to ofter
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:32 am

No James Kavanagh Stonecold?
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:59 am

kickingking wrote:

Nope, I'd say he had about a 40-50% return last Saturday from the amount of possession that came his way (and thats when the pressure was off). You can get away with that against teams like Leitrim or Antrim but it's not good enough for what lies ahead.
Back to top Go down
Always_White
Intermediate
Intermediate
Always_White

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:18 am

While the type of football played by Derry doesn't suit Kildare I still think we can beat them but we must get the ball in quick to the forwards. If we hold up the ball like we've been doing at times we will be playing into their hands and will come off second best.

As regards the team I wouldn't have Eoghan Flats on it as he was very disappointing in the two matches I saw him play. I would start Smitty in as full forward if he is fit and Roli at number 12, other than that I would make no changes.

I am a bit worried though about Dermot in midfield as he is struggling there and is not able to follow his man when he gets past him. However if Daryll and Leper keep playing to the level they're at I'd be hopeful they would make up for Dermot's lack of pace.

So here's hoping for a win by maybe two or three points.
Back to top Go down
abl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:58 am

Stonecold wrote:
Its a pity Eoghan wasn't available for the league because I don't doubt his potential but there is something amiss and I can't put my finger on it.
Could be wrong but i think he is still playing at club football speed.Its a bit like Keith Cribben when he made his championship debut against Wicklow.I remember the first ball he went for on the cusack sideline.he got to the ball first but slowed down and the next thing he knew he was on his ass over the sideline.You hit the nail on the head when you said if he had played during the league he would be up to speed by now.One good smack will get him going
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:12 am

Fergal Doherty not playing will be a huge help
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Stonecold wrote:
kickingking wrote:

Nope, I'd say he had about a 40-50% return last Saturday from the amount of possession that came his way (and thats when the pressure was off). You can get away with that against teams like Leitrim or Antrim but it's not good enough for what lies ahead.

You've finally lost the plot.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:18 pm

marty duffy is referee for match
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 pm

fone wrote:
marty duffy is referee for match

GREAT!!! Mad Could a been worse i suppose,could have been sludden.

Any word on Earley?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare team v Derry   Kildare team v Derry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare team v Derry
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next