Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mikey Conway

Go down 
+7
Frankel
topcat
SeamusMurphy
overthebar
moatesports
Rex
coffeybrendan
11 posters
AuthorMessage
coffeybrendan
Junior A
Junior A

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Bad day at the office for Mikey on Sunday - these stats show why it's been coming for a while.

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/?p=20908
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Good read and on the money.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 am

class act but not in right position
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 5:43 am

Conway is a nice footballer but not class act imo, wouldn't be one of the top defenders that played for lilies over the last 20 years or so..............long way down the line I would say.....
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 6:35 am

Conway is a Good Footballer, but not as a Defender.. IMO He should be deployed in a sort of Marty Clarke role and allowed the freedom to use His best abilities ie playmaker, passing skills.
Cant ever remember him Playing in defence for Nurney?.. Taibi ?
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

i agree the year he was out kildare were missing that type of player
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 am

Comparing Mickey to Marty Clarke is a massive reach!! Clarke got Down to an All-Ireland final on his own, look at how they have done since he left!! Kildare don't know what to do with Conway at the moment, he fouls too much to be a back and isn't quick enough to be a forward. The way Kildare wants to use invites attacking wing backs into our half, that won't work so maybe he just doesn't fit in at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Conway is a Good Footballer, but not as a Defender.. IMO He should be deployed in a sort of Marty Clarke role and allowed the freedom to use His best abilities ie playmaker, passing skills.
Cant ever remember him Playing in defence for Nurney?.. Taibi ?

never played as a defender but sometimes plays as centreforward who drops deep or basically allowed go wherever he wants.
bit harsh to be singling out conway here, kildare were destroyed at midfield, half back, half forward line etc but conways seems to be getting the brunt of it. fair enough gave away a few bad frees but apart from that he has been doing quite well up until now. he was very good against cork and donegal. he is not been asked to play the role of a conventional centreback so he cant be blamed for the kildare defence parting like the red sea anytime anyone runs hard down the middle at them.
if i was the author of that article i would be asking why is mcgeeney playing with what appeared to me to be the same tactics in defence as we did last year against cork and got destroyed when morgan o flaherty was playing the same role as mikey and also asking who is actually responsible for holding the centreback area together.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Agree with that Bill. I also don't think there is a need on here for another thread to discuss the same topic of conversation that is part of the League thread.
Its not just about one player its the system that makes him stand out.
Back to top Go down
coffeybrendan
Junior A
Junior A

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Lots of good points there Bill - the reason I focused on Conway was because I felt he was getting a lot of unfair and uninformed criticism. As you rightly point out, he's not playing a conventional centre-back role which a lot of people don't seem to appreciate.
He has become an important part of Kildare's gameplan this year so I think it's only right and proper that there is a discussion about it - I've focused on Brian Flanagan (http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/02/08/the-reinvention-of-brian-flanagan/) and Seanie Johnston (http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/03/06/johnston-gets-the-job-done/) in previous articles.
Chalky was holding the centre before he left the panel and I think it's no surprise that in the two games he's been absent for, we've gotten a hiding at midfield. He was playing a very effective role there and won't be easy to replace. With Kildare's method of match-ups at the back, there's no one to cover the centre per se, just depends who's detailed to mark the centre-forward.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 12:56 am

None of that is personal or unfair. I've said for a while now that I don't think Conway is all he's hyped up to be. His passing is not good enough to warrant a free role. His work rate is nowhere near good enough either. People harp back to 3 or 4 years ago when he had a good spell. That's a long time ago now.

It's too easy to blame the system for his shortcomings.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 1:06 am

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
None of that is personal or unfair. I've said for a while now that I don't think Conway is all he's hyped up to be. His passing is not good enough to warrant a free role. His work rate is nowhere near good enough either. People harp back to 3 or 4 years ago when he had a good spell. That's a long time ago now.

It's too easy to blame the system for his shortcomings.

BTA you are always the first on conways back, its like an obsession. to say his passing is not good enough is just unbelievable, he is by a distance the best passer on the panel. fair enough this year he has tried a few too many hollywood passes but look at the passes like he did for john doyles goal against kerry. give some examples of his workrate not been up to scratch? what did you think of his performances against cork and donegal? did conway been taken off against the dubs improve things?
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 2:48 am

Ha ha ha ha hilarious and predictable retort. There were 12 comments spread over 2 days before I bothered. Yet you jump down my throat. I simply don't rate the boy as highly as you do. Im not asking you to like or accept it. Im just saying what I think, like everybody else.

Yes, when he's in form, he can pass the ball well. But passing is only one part of the game man. In any game I've seen him, opponents run past at will. He'll either foul them or not work them at all.
To say its the system that's at fault and not him is just ludicrous. The fact that management pulled him off after 27 mins says enough.

His passing is not good enough to entitle him to a free role. Other teams have copped on & exploit it. As I've said all along, this is the league, it's the place for experiments. Hopefully this one has been tried & tested. Time to move on to the next one now.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 3:53 am

The point about the system is that Morgan was poor in this position too and his tackling was awful look at the Meath game last year. IMO the system is flawed.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 5:28 am

we can't criticize the system Surprised the world might stop spinning. on a serious note even if the system is right but you don't have the players able to operate it is there any merit in keeping it?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 am

Topcat I didnt compare Mijey to Clarke.. What I said was a " marty clarke role".. Clarke is probably un equalled at what he does, or did for Down.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 am

Sorry Seamus when u said we should give him the same type of role as Clarke, I thought you were implying he could do it just as well!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 1:01 am

We can only wish TC..
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 4:49 am

Dropped for tomorrow...probably expected but I think come championship we will need him..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mikey Conway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mikey Conway   Mikey Conway Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mikey Conway
Page 1 of 1