Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2014 Panel

Go down 
+23
Westside
Athyman
murof
disano
micky murphy
flourman
Sticking 45's
abl
lilywhites on tour
Ogie
Gaa1928
patw14
Rex
LillieLad
Loads of Pints
SeamusMurphy
lomond
steviegenius
topcat
kildaregaa365
shoeshine
Jimmy winning matches
BelieveToAchieve
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

2014 Panel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 2:55 am

People try to read too much into the games, especially these ones. They're just another night. What's going on in training a big part of it. And in a panel that big, a manager will also go on a hunch with a couple. There may be reasons why lads didn't play - but of course, they all played. They just didn't all play in the O'Byrne Cup.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 4:41 am

On the nationalist, they are including Johnny Doyle under the list of the 8 injured, yet on the kildare gaa website, he is invisible! I hope to Jaysus that he is staying on! Surely he wouldnt retire and not say anything? Others are saying he won't be involved until later in the league.
Back to top Go down
abl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 6:31 am

Loads of Pints wrote:
According to Liffey Champion:

Adam Tyrrell Moorefield
Cathal McNally Johnstownbridge
Ciaran Fitzpatrick Kilcock
Conor Canning Maynooth
Conor Mellett Naas
Conor Tiernan Sarsfields
Darroch Mulhall Athy
Daryl Flynn Moorefield
David Hyland Athy
David Whyte Moorefield
Emmet Bolton Eadestown
Eoghan O'Flaherty Carbury
Fergal Conway Celbridge
Fionn Dowling Suncroft
Gary White Sarsfields
Hugh Lynch Confey
Hugh McGrillen Celbridge
James Gately Confey
Kevin Murnaghan Moorefield
Mark Donnellan Maynooth
Mick Foley Athy
Mick O'Grady Celbridge
Mikey Conway Nurney
Ollie Lyons Celbridge
Paddy Brophy Celbridge
Paudie O'Neill St. Laurences
Paul Cribbin Johnstownbridge
Padraig Fogarty St. Laurences
Robbie Dunne Clane
Seamus Hanafin Ballyteague
Sean Campbell Sarsfields
Sean Hurley Johnstownbridge
Shane Connolly St. Laurences
Tomas O'Connor Clane
Tommy Moolick Leixlip
Willie Groome Carbury.

Footballers who are carrying long-term injuries and are unavailable for selection are as follows:
Alan Smith Sarsfields
Brian Flanagan Johnstownbridge
Eamonn Callaghan Naas
Eoin Doyle Naas
Johnny Byrne Allenwood
Keith Cribbin Johnstownbridge
Niall Kelly Athy
Peter Kelly Two Mile House.

I think a few fellas in there are very lucky. Big panel to carry but plenty of injuries.

One notable absentee.....JD???!!

3 of that panel are heading overseas with the Army
Back to top Go down
Sticking 45's
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 9:47 am

Gately is well worth his spot on this panel,seen the league final between the moores and confey last year and also the county championship quarter final vs sarsfields and he was head and shoulders the best player on the park, I was asking a few people from confey I seen in the stands who he was an why he wasn't on the Kildare panel and they said he was in OZ for the last few years. Quinn doesn't strike me as a man who would want a previous club player there on sentiment alone either,so he must have a bit about him
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 10:36 am

Pretty sure Gately has played for Kildare for McGeeney before / in fact I am positive he did - O'Byrne cup 2/3 years ago, maybe
Back to top Go down
patw14
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 11:18 am

Yeah gately was there before and went to Australia for a year ! Wasn't good enought then so it seems like Quinn did him a favour ! He is a decent player but was tried before.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Quinn is doing him a favour eh? ..
So because he wasn't good enough a few years ago means he can't be good enough now - you've obviously studied Gately closely over the last year and in recent training sessions with Kildare to come to that conclusion. Thank God we have contributors on this forum like you patw14 - enlighten me, is 14 your age or your IQ?
Back to top Go down
Sticking 45's
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:33 am

flourman wrote:
Pretty sure Gately has played for Kildare for McGeeney before / in fact I am positive he did - O'Byrne cup 2/3 years ago, maybe

cheers flourman, I done a bit of browsing and asking around last night to see when he was on the panel and 2010 -2011 was the general response. On the peripheral on the squad then, but I wouldn't judge any player for not making an impact at that time as the squad was at its peak competing in the later stages of the All .Be interesting to see if himself or any other lads with similar backgrounds can push on this year
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:39 am

gately was on junior team 2011
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Whatever about Gatley getting some kind of chance to prove himself i can't for the life of me understand how Hugh Lynch is still on the panel especially when you look at the other options in midfield

Few more lads in there still clinging on in my opinion the Meath game will be a good marker along with the Mayo game the games up to now have been important for developing and when are you ever going to get a challenge game this time of year like the one coming up Sunday.

Back to top Go down
disano
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Hugh lynch scored 2 points from nearly 60 yards again down in 2010 and got man of the match against Laois the year after in the championship until he injured his knee mick murphy so I would have no problem with him being in the panel in the slightest..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 pm

disano wrote:
Hugh lynch scored 2 points from nearly 60 yards again down in 2010 and got man of the match against Laois the year after in the championship until he injured his knee mick murphy so I would have no problem with him being in the panel in the slightest..

Glen Ryan got 2 All Stars in the 90's. I'd like to see him get a call up soon.
Back to top Go down
disano
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 pm

Good man Walter, sure we may call up davey dalton and nuxer too. Why can't lads here just get behind the team, doesn't matter who is on the panel at the minute. We will be their best friends if they win and stick the knife in their back if they lose. The effort those boys put in is massive and we slate them here. Fickle beyond belief.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:01 am

Disano -don't think i slated Hughie and wouldn't do that to any player that makes such a commitment.
I question the merits of having him on the panel for both his own development and for the Team due to the obvious lack of opportunities he will receive this year when there are probably 5-6 ahead of him for midfield places, i don't believe he will play one league or championship game this year and why not start to integrate a promising younger player into his slot on the panel.

Jason Ryan was brought in to look forward not backwards at what guys done in the past.
Back to top Go down
disano
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 am

Apologies Micky. Just hard to look at the keyboard warriors here on this. I would give anything to put in a white jersey. I think it is a massive honour if you wear it once or 100 times and for people to disrespect the players is out of order in my opinion..
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 2:41 am

Dead right disana sometimes very hard to read some of the stuff on here especially when you have an appreciation for the amount of effort and sacrifices which are made by guys..........
We will have to disagree on having Hughie on the panel this year however!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 am

Should be no rush to drop any player off the panel at this early stage of the year. We can surely afford to carry a larger panel for a few more weeks. As players get fitter and more tuned in to the new methods of playing they can show significant improvement in form.
I would have a lot of sympathy for Hugh Lynch who looked like he could be a game winner for us in 2011 after the Laois game with his long range point scoring. Sadly he looks like one of those players who will never reach the same heights again after serious injury but he deserves every chance to do so.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 5:27 am

I honestly rate Hughie and think if he gets back to full fitness he can definitely do a job, he was class in 2011 and so unlucky with that injury be some player to bring on or start. One player I don't think Mickey Conway is good enough I like him a lot though and some passer of the ball but doesn't have the pace for this level no more unfortunately which is shit the injuries fucked him up a lot.
I honestly feel we can do well this year if we get the injuries sorted we have a class team, and Jason atm seems to have a game plan in place that suits us. Hopefully during the league we can sort out a good settled midfield and a centre half back to stop players running through the middle. I think we have a lot to be optimistic hope to god that isn't just blind faith.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 am

Just for the record, any player being debated on here for the most part is done so purely on his footballing ability it's nothing personal.

These players are intercounty footballers. Local media and fans will talk about the merits of them being on the panel, on the bench, picked to play and performances on the field. That is part and parcel of it.

It's not all rainbows, lollipops and cute cuddly puppies. If a player isn't good enough for the panel he isn't good enough , it's all about opinions and murof's opinion is as valid as Ogie's or TommyKeegan's and so forth.

No one should stifle debate with the argument that players should not be criticised.
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:53 am

I have to say even though Jason Ryan dropped 4 Athy players they all got a decent chance so absolutely no criticism of the manager he is doing a good job in my opinion Smile
Back to top Go down
Sticking 45's
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 12:40 pm

micky murphy wrote:
Disano -don't think i slated Hughie and wouldn't do that to any player that makes such a commitment.
I question the merits of having him on the panel for both his own development and for the Team due to the obvious lack of opportunities he will receive this year when there are probably 5-6 ahead of him for midfield places, i don't believe he will play one league or championship game this year and why not start to integrate a promising younger player into his slot on the panel.

Jason Ryan was brought in to look forward not backwards at what guys done in the past.

If that's the view you are taking should the inclusion of players such as David White, Ciaran Fitzpatrick ,Mickey Conway amongst others not be questioned as well? All have been around the panel before and the previous 2 have not started a championship game for the years they were on the panel where as mickey Conway has been killed by injuries and was sparingly used by geezer come championship time recently (similar story with lynch).

Personally I disagree with the view of not trying lads who have been around before, It could simply be a case of mc geeney missing a trick with some of them or they have developed new dimensions to their games that Ryan admires. Who knows what the reasons are for the inclusions of players who have been around the block. The "Promising youngsters" you are referring to, have been given a chance previously and this has been continued thus far this year (Ryan has seen a few of the 21's games as far as I'm aware.) I wouldn't be having an overhaul of the panel making it youth heavy ass the experience and know how of the senior players will be invaluable come the summer.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

I am open to correction but I think David White was one of the better players when Louth beat us in 2010. It should be noted that although players come and go from the panel they have still put in a massive effort just to get called in the first place and while they are there.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm

From what I can recall of that night Brian White and Paddy Keenan ran the show for Louth so I think it is safe to assume he wasn't one of our better players that night! He was then suspended after the game on video evidence so couldn't get his place back.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
I am open to correction but I think David White was one of the better players when Louth beat us in  2010.   It should be noted that although players come and go from the panel they have still put in a massive effort just to get called in the first place and while they are there.

Personally I dont think David White is good enough for the panel, McGeeney, tried him midefield wingforward and wing back and it didnt work in any position.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 8:42 pm

A lot can change in 4 years. It should always be about current form and not past glories or tragedies.
That applies to all players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Panel   2014 Panel - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 Panel
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next