Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+74
Sorrynotsorry
totalgaa
Curraghplains
tomoneillandhissisteranne
bite the pillow
Pkmie
DONTPULLOUT
Cassanata
moatesports
lillyboy
Flamingo
Onechance
Sam1928
Hang sangich
Fear An Geata
Bulldog
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
bk 1
Lillywhite88
centreback
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
intheback
standhimup
bloodsub
parcel
sarsno1
Hurlerbehindtheditch
OutTheGap
topcat
hawker
Horsebox
LillieLad
learmus
steviegenius
lomond
All_right_in_white
White Bridge
whiteknight
bigball
Loads of Pints
Botch
jim
Lily8
if_in_doubt
murof
Caprea
kelf
shortgrass
flourman
lilywhites on tour
jj
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
Xavi
Gaa1928
micky murphy
Shergar
Cilldara_2000
Highball
TommyKeegan
kickingking
Ogie
lilysavage
Taibi
MD
jimmers
Dinny Breen
reichenhall
kildaregaa365
SeamusMurphy
Kildare98
rob11
Rex
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 am

Agree the county board need to look at themselves and realize they are out of their depth. The contributors on this forum could do a much better job and have more passion. Money is of course an issue but the difference from all sources in Kildare and Dublin per GAA member is not that different. What is different in Dublin is that they use their money very wisely and do put it in to grass roots development. Lads we all have the same agenda but we may as well be whistling in the wind if we believe the people why run our Organisation in the county on our behalf are up to the job. It is time for a complete change in the county board. Chairman vice chair and treasurer must go immediately.Make Kildare Great Again ,,,,!,,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
Pkmie
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 3:57 pm

You wouldn't be a Carbury or Allenwood man by any chance Shay.......
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Pkmie wrote:

He's just someone who craves attention......hence the triple posts.
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Pkmie wrote:

From the content of his posts that was the impression I was getting too Pkmie.

How long before the nominations for Convention ....
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 5:21 am

jimmers wrote:
Pkmie wrote:

He's just someone who craves attention......hence the triple posts.  
.....and i don't think "mr donnelly" is on his Christmas card list ! santa santa santa
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 am

Attention seeker. He'scertainly not looking to get county Chairman. Individual 'candidate' alluded to above couldn't care less about what's written here. And he hasa bit more about him than what's posted above.
Back to top Go down
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 9:37 am

It is a disgrace that opinions which do not agree with the blind banal unrealistic propaganda peddled by county board lackies on this forum is met with such derision. The fact that I am getting so much attention obviously means that my points are hitting home. We are leaderless in our county board and if you think mr Donnelly is bad just wait until you see what is lined up to follow him. Gorman Dunny and Farrell. Colm Farrell tipped by many at the top table to take the top job mr Gorman doesn’t want it and it’s very important to keep the main man minding the few bob in hawk field and conleths. More of the same next year. Nearly 100 years since our last all Ireland senior victory and we have the arrogance to call ourselves a leading football county. A CHANGE IS NEEDED. LETS MAKE KILDARE GREAT AGAIN.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 pm

My championship restructure idea is straightforward and I think perfect if I do say so myself.

First thing to say: I would scrap all other inter-county competitions except a limited pre-season tournament played over three weekends. Frees up massive time for clubs.

From there: start the extant league on first weekend in May. Keep the divisional finals: winners get trophy, plus team holiday, cash injection & guaranteed four home games following year.

Top two teams in each division go through to quarter finals. Open draw with the only proviso that teams who’ve already played each other can’t play each other again.

Remaining teams go into Europa league-style knockout comp.

Done & dusted by end of August. Dublin would still win it anyway but would hasten the split. In the meantime we at least get competitive games from the off.

To quote Hot Chocolate: everyone’s a winner baby. Like I say, perfect... Now watch how Johnny Boy Horan doesn’t implement it.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Nice one HG, simple and straight forward.

The fact we have a nice straight forward 32 counties makes for all sorts of premutations available but i think without doubt making the league the starting point for a championship based system has merit.

Its the best competition out there - Love the league games (granted we were piss this year) but theres more buzz.

Only prob with above of course is the huge revenue fall off
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks Highball – I honestly feel like I should get on to John Horan!

Re revenue, I think there'd actually be huge resurgence of interest in football because you have competitive games at every level, and everyone has realistic chance of trophy.

Key of course is getting rid of provincial system – a big step but I think everyone acknowledges they've served their purpose at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Also: could maybe have a wild card-type entry in knockout stages for "Europa League" winners or 3/4 teams in Div 1 to ensure top teams are adequately represented at end stage of All Ireland.

The more I think about it, tis perfect!
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 10:27 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
My championship restructure idea is straightforward and I think perfect if I do say so myself.

First thing to say: I would scrap all other inter-county competitions except a limited pre-season tournament played over three weekends. Frees up massive time for clubs.

From there: start the extant league on first weekend in May. Keep the divisional finals: winners get trophy, plus team holiday, cash injection & guaranteed four home games following year.

Top two teams in each division go through to quarter finals. Open draw with the only proviso that teams who’ve already played each other can’t play each other again.

Remaining teams go into Europa league-style knockout comp.

Done & dusted by end of August. Dublin would still win it anyway but would hasten the split. In the meantime we at least get competitive games from the off.

To quote Hot Chocolate: everyone’s a winner baby. Like I say, perfect... Now watch how Johnny Boy Horan doesn’t implement it.

I take it there would be seeding's in the original division draws HG as opposed to the current league set up.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 10:32 pm

Would keep current league set-up.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 12:23 am

So would 3rd place in Division 1 would not make the quarter finals but 2nd place in Division 4 would? Hardly seems fair. Maybe you could have 5 teams from Division 1 and the Division 2 winners in the quarters with teams from Divisions 2, 3 and 4 playing off for the chance to join them.

I think playing the league during the summer leading up to the All-Ireland series makes a lot of sense. Kieran Donaghy talked about it on Off the Ball a couple of weeks ago. You'd get meaningful games at the best time of year against teams of a similar standard.

You could run off the provincial championships as an separate competition in March/April if people wanted to keep them.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 12:30 am

There are potential variants, but in principle, moving league structure to summer is the way to go. I think four Div 1 teams in the mix for quarters would be enough.

Personally, I would scrap provincial competitions entirely.

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 12:42 am

Seriously, when you think about it – whatever permutations you want to use to establish quarter finalists – the league system is so perfect. Eliminates all sorts of problems.

Makes much more sense than John Horan's two-tier system. It's effectively a four-tier system but the beauty is that everyone gets a shot at Sam and the chance to pull off a shock.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 12:46 am

Agree - I wouldnt be a fan of a "B" championship

I like the idea of a competive league with the carrot of higher position meaning both promotion and chance at all ireland (regardless of division)

There are literally hundreds of ways you could do it that are better than we have currently. Also, something like the above would definitely help alleviate fixture issues..

The main elephants are the provincial system and conservative nature of those in charge.

Even professional competitions change and adapt more frequently than our championship structures
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 12:48 am

HG for GAA President  bounce
Some good suggestions in fairness.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 1:02 am

I would go for 8 groups of 4, 1st and 2nd in each group into the last 16 of the All-Ireland ( group winners v 2nd in another group - then open draw thereafter ) with the 8 losers then into a relegation play-off.

Same for the 3rd and 4th in each group into the last 16 of the All- Ireland 'B' Championship with the overall winners been seeded in the 2nd grouping the following year instead of the worst placed team ( relegated ) from the main All Ireland group, if you know what I mean.

Every team would then get a minimum of 4 championship games, but more importantly every team would have to win the same amount of games to win the All Ireland.

Seeding's for each following year:

Pot One : Groups Winners. - Pot 2 : Group Runners Up ( less the relegated team ) replaced by the All Ireland 'B' winners.

Pot Three : Teams that finished 3rd the year before. Pot Four : Teams that finished 4th the year before.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 1:14 am

If you keep the league structure, and give the divisional trophies names, there is not a doubt in my mind that – over time – they would become as coveted as provincial titles used to be.

Now how do I get this through congress...

If I did become president, first item of business would be canonisation of John Doyle and Glen Ryan. Stadiums named after them and official state dinner with dignitaries from around globe.

Also would appoint Cake Curran as roving cultural attache with special brief to extract funding from Trump & Kim Jong Un.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 1:19 am

GAA 1928 - That's Micky's preferred option Champions League style!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 1:25 am

For me, it's definitely better to have teams playing at their own level. It's a winner in every aspect! Don't see a downside – excitement in every county about the possibility of winning something.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 6:02 am

Makes sense to play at own level on surface, if this wasn't the most elitist form of the GAA we know. Ring, Rackard and Meagher Cups at start were great. Guys at right level, sure, but also getting to play before big games, TV part of the deal. All gone now, run off in a few weeks before the summer has begun out of sight and mind, with basically no way to grow interest or break through despite the work going on in many places. Top tier essentially ring fenced as a cash maker. My fear is football will go same way. For instance we talk about not being in Division One. What chance does some team getting promoted after years of playing low level football have?
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 6:52 am

I do like hurling, but I’m definitely not into it as much as football so couldn’t comment too authoritatively. Tommy not sure what you’re getting at - counties have the same chance they always have?

A league structure isn’t elitist at all... Let’s say we win Div 2 & Leitrim win Div 4 and we play in quarter finals, for me they have same chance of beating us as they did in the 90s - when they did beat us a few times.

And I’d be in favour of that game being in Leitrim. Do not tell me there wouldn’t be a massive buzz around it. And if Leitrim win they’re in All Ireland semi which they haven’t a prayer of under current system.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 6:53 am

And don’t forget under my system Leitrim in that scenario have a trophy, cash injection, team holiday & four guaranteed home games following year.

System would require a new TV deal with rights being divvied up across the four divisions - but whoever wants Div 1 & 2 rights also has to screen Div 3 & 4 games and give them appropriate promotion, coverage, analysis etc.

I know Leitrim lads & the buzz over Div 4 final this year was huge - people flying in from New York, London everywhere. I’m looking to build on that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 36 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 36 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next