Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tipperary v Kildare

Go down 
+22
micky murphy
GaaHead
shoutitout
murof
Gaa1928
Cilldara_2000
Taibi
TommyKeegan
Kildare98
Ogie
jim
reichenhall
Big Full Back
lilywhites on tour
Rex
kelf
kildaregaa365
flourman
jimmers
Jimmy winning matches
SeamusMurphy
kickingking
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 2:45 pm

name a lad that should be in there ahead of them flourman instead of slating Kildare royalty. Think you'll find no one else
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 3:50 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
True Flourman but we are seriously short of options without the U21s. Whether you put in Dowling or whoever it's all much of a muchness at this stage.

U21s ? . Where HG ?.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 5:44 pm

umpireonditch wrote:
name a lad that should be in there ahead of them flourman instead of slating Kildare royalty. Think you'll find no one else

Well umpire - Come championship time, I'd like to see 6 forwards along the lines of

P Cribben, E O'Flaterhty, D Flynn
N. Flynn, N Kelly, B McCormack / C Healy

I'd also like to see M Sherry involved.

But if you prefer to see 'Royalty' for another year, getting their arses royally handed to them again by Dublin and Kerry, struggling to beat Limerick at home and getting beaten by Sligo, that's fair enough - but I'd prefer to see some changes to address issues.

.. and before you get on your high horse - I have slated nobody on here, I have simply stated that I don't think certain players are good enough anymore - time catches up with us all, including those players I have mentioned, that have given sweat, blood and tears to our white jersey down the years and deserve nothing but credit, praise and gratitude for their considerable efforts.

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 8:49 pm

Yes, let's not go overboard. The FF trio have been outstanding servants, but if this is the exciting new direction for Kildare in 2016, we're in big trouble for the year.

When the U21s become available (hopefully not until an All Ireland is won), I would draft in Neil Flynn, Mark Sherry, Chris Healy, Ben McCormack and Cein McMonagle. Given the chronic mediocrity of this campaign so far, there are also arguably cases to be made for Rory Feely, young Kavanagh and a few others.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 pm

While I'd hope that the forward line will look different come the summer it should be remembered that five out of the six forwards started in the forward line last year down in Thurles against Cork. The only change is Tyrrell in for McNally apart from a few positional switches. If we lose on Saturday I hope that is not used as an excuse because they should be well capable of posting a winning total against Tipp.

I'd imagine things will look a lot different when Cribbin and Flynn are fit considering Feely and Moolick will almost certainly play at midfield if they're available. Neil Flynn, Sherry and possibly McCormack/Healy will hopefully give us more options.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 10:44 pm

Five of the seven alternative forwards listed above are unavailable through injury or u21s so this is best we have ..name me three others better? They are good enough to beat Tipp. In my eyes we lost it around the middle 8 against Sligo full stop. Everything was bombed down Feelys throat and when ball broke we won none of it. If we score 2-14 again ill be happy enough.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 1:29 am

Regarding the u21s coming back.. out of the 3 fellas currently on the senior panel. Neil Flynn is probably the only likely starter come summer in croker.. Houli and sherry are not automatic as of yet.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 6:15 am

To follow on Seamus' point I'd actually say none of the u/21's are any way proven at senior level.
Indeed they're not particularly proven at under 21 level yet with the possible exception of Flynn who delivered against the Dubs last year. But definitely has been hit and miss at senior level in his few games to date. Let's see what the others do in the L Final. We blow out players up at the earliest sign of potential.

In terms of the starting line up the most glaringly obvious issue from 8 to 15 against Sligo was the absence of pace so unless this is a dummy line up I'm shocked at the absence of McNally who is the one player who can provide it in the absence of the Cribbins and Flynn. I'd have him in either for one of the wing forwards or for O'Neill in the full forward line.

Funny how people now see Hyland at 5 as a bad move when his initial move to 3 was greeted with criticism. Who'd be a manager? Don't think he's been brilliant at 3 at all and 5 is something of a problem position. In fact the half back like without Doyle and with Bolton (in my opinion) no longer a guaranteed starter - is probably a bigger concern than the full back line. The FB line to me can be ok if they are properly trained at tackling and not making rash challenges and if they receive proper protection via a sweeper, but the half back line as a defensive unit has been weak in recent games. Conway fails to fully convince me as I think he's a tad slow and O'Donoghue is learning his trade.

Btw it wouldn't surprise me if Cribbin played some role tomorrow as I believe a played some part for JTB last week while Flynn was due to be back in contention around now as well.

Would be good to be able to spring either.
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 10:08 pm

Cribben played the whole game last week v leixlip
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 10:09 pm

Is Flynn from maynooth still u21
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 11:54 pm

bob12 wrote:
Is Flynn from maynooth still u21

Yes
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 2:52 am

Great win, horrible conditions, promotion almost assured.
Good job.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 4:41 am

Great to get a big win in tough conditions even though we were helped by some woeful Tipperary finishing. For some reason, we have been a lot better away from home over the past while. We are nearly there now.

The last 3 games have shown what a difference Dan Flynn and Paul Cribbin make to the team. Without them, we are very one-paced and easy to defend against. They give us an extra dimension with their pace and direct running. Hopefully Dan's injury is not too serious. In fairness to him, Adam Tyrell did well in the first half and got a few nice scores. Mark Donnellan, Peter Kelly and Tommy Moolick also had good games.

Our tackling and intensity were better than the 2 previous games but we've still a long way to go in this area as Tipp did get through our defence fairly easily at times. Another small thing, any reason why we're so late coming out for the 2nd half in all our games? We're in danger of turning the referee against us if he has to keep whistling for us to come out.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 4:49 am

Agreed flourman. Thought the intensity levels were way better today and the concentration levels in defence in particular were significantly better. We were helped by Tipperary's really poor shooting in the first half and Donnellan made a smart save but overall the result was just reward for 100% effort and application in tough conditions.

Thankfully Hyland did play FB with Fitz in the half back line and the Athy man have an imperious performance back there. Thought all the backs did well actually with the exception of O'Donoghue who didn't really get into the game.

Other than Hyland I'd have Moolick as my man of the match - got through a mountain of work and was a threat going forward. Super "dummy" for the first goal!

O'Flaherty and Leper also deserve some plaudits for the amount of times they got on the ball.

And while Cribbin was frustratingly inconsistent, Dan Flynn certainly showed what he can bring to the full forward position, capping off a fine move with his goal. Didn't like the look of his hamstring injury though and that for me was the only real downer on an enjoyable afternoon.

Ps. I'll never criticise St Conleth's Park again - how in earth the GAA can sanction that ground for inter-co football is beyond me. Health and Safety my arse..
An inter county ground surely should have a minimum number of covered seats for the elderly and a public address system?

Pps.. Fair play to the lad beside me who was able to recite off the Kildare u/21 from 1976 he'd seen play Kerry in that ground in the 1976 All Ireland Final.. Fair play to him. 40 years ago this year.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 4:56 am

Best performance so far (wasn't at Westmeath game) but then the bar wasn't high! Niall Kelly and Dan Flynn both excellent and Moolick and Cribben both impressed as the game wore on. But realistically Tipp should have had 2 goals in the first half and hit the post twice so there is still room for improvement.

Only a freak set of results now will deprive us of promotion so job done. The Dan Flynn injury is worrying as it seems to be a recurring issue with him. Unlikely to be available next week so the Final is when we'll see him again.

A couple of other comments

The only good thing about the venue was the pitch and unfortunately the rain did a lot of damage as the game wore on. But the rest of the facilities left a lot to be desired. St. Conleth's has its faults but at least you're not covered in muck and having to avoid huge puddles as you're leaving the ground.

And what is the point of the Kildare tactic of delaying coming out for second half? It has happened now in every game and I fail to see what advantage it gives us. It p*sses off the ref and most of the fans (Kildare and opposition).
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 5:18 am

That was Billy Dunne, Crofter - we obviously weren't a million miles away from each other.
Dunne is some legend of a man - hasn't missed a Kildare senior, minor or U21 game in well over 40 years
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 5:19 am

Hyland again was excellent - leave him at 3, see can he make it his own. Done very little wrong thus far anyway
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 5:23 am

.. last point, Jimmers has already touched on, this rubbish of staying in doors for nearly 25 mins is some load of shite. One of these the days a ref is going to throw the ball in without us.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 5:42 am

Just home from Clonmel. How that place was deemed fit to host an intercounty match baffles me.

Great to get a strong win in such awful conditions. Thought Donnellan was great, bar his one bad kickout which the wind didn't help with. Moolick was great. Adam Tyrrell tried hard. Fitzpatrick was good too, as was O'Flaherty.

Actually thought Daniel Flynn wasn't having a great day in the first half but he improved as the match went on. I think we'd make better use of him in the full forward line rather than around the middle. Good to see Cribbin back.

Tipperary were unlucky at times. Their shooting let them down badly. We're pretty much certain of promotion now aren't we?

Agree with the last comment, the extended half time break was ridiculous. Both sets of supporters were complaining. Some day it'll come back to bite us when the ref gets pissed off or decides to start the second half before we come out.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 5:53 am

This ' extended half time crap' started a number of years ago under K.McG. and has continued on since. It is a pain especially if its a cold and wet miserable day and your on the ' The Hill' in Newbridge, this needs to stop immediately.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 6:06 am

Very good win in difficult conditions, I thought we were never troubled. Yes Tipp could have scored a bit more but we ourselves missed two guilt edged chances for goal in the second half. 

Dan Flynn's second half performance was excellent, but it needed to be as he was sloppy in the first. Himself and Cribbin have a habit of carrying the ball into traffic and losing it cheaply.  Niall Kelly made the most of the possession sent his way and even though missed one of those goal chances caused Tipperary a lot of problems. Leper did well and got through large amounts of work.
As did Flats. Hyland was excellent at fullback.

The work rate was far better today and they were moving far better than last week. Support play was good.

Still a few easy passes not going to hand along with sloppy inaccurate passes that get picked off. But in those conditions it's forgivable.

As others have mentioned, this delay coming back out after halftime is doing no good. The ref was already hammering Kildare, why give him another excuse. I don't see the point.
The GAA have a lot to answer for allowing Intercounty games in Clonmel. Where was the health and safety today. Grass banks in lashing rain, no cover, no seats for older supporters, inch deep mud on the way in, two inches on the way out. Seems it's one rule for some counties and another for others.

Still we area just about promoted which was the goal. Good days work.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 6:11 am

I'm sorry but the Kildare county board totally caved on this issue, just like they did on the U21 final - this game should have been played at a neutral venue, end of.

Good win but hard to get to get carried away - Tipp has goal chances and their freetaking was tragicomic.

Also, giving a goal away immediately after scoring one - AGAIN! I'm sick of it!!

I'm going to keep saying this til it's standard practice - Hyland should be in the full back line and Lyons at half back. Elsewhere, Flynn and Cribbin give the team a dimension we do not otherwise possess. Hope Dan's injury is not too bad. It is unbelievable the amount of injuries in inter county football these days. Players are being overtrained in my opinion.

Anyway, winning so comprehensively was encouraging and we we promoted now, aren't we? Does anyone know what would need to happen for us not to be? It might be one of these scenarios where you need a theoretical physics degree.

Yeah, Billy Dunne is some man. My Dad was involved in underage Kildare teams in the 80s. He said one time a minor replay was organised at short notice in the arse end of nowhere, and basically no one could go. He was making a dash to get to the venue and who should he run into on the way in only Billy Dunne... His commitment puts all of us to shame!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 6:48 am

flourman wrote:
That was Billy Dunne, Crofter - we obviously weren't a million miles away from each other.
Dunne is some legend of a man - hasn't missed a Kildare senior, minor or U21 game in well over 40 years

Fair play to him. I started out in '78 but I'd struggle to name senior line ups let alone the 21s.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 6:50 am

On promotion - we're on 10 points and Clare, Offaly and Longford can now only equal our points total - all three are currently on 6 (Tipp can only reach 8 points). However, Clare and Longford play each other tomorrow so only one of them can reach 10.

If we beat or draw with Clare, we are promoted. Also if Offaly lose tomorrow we are promoted.

However, if we lose to Clare, the worst case scenario is that we could be in a tie for first with Offaly (if they win their last 2 games) and either Clare/Longford. In that case head-to-heads are not used - it's points difference and we are currently 6 better than Clare, 22 better than Longford and 30 better than Offaly.

So it would take a few results with huge winning margins to deny us in this scenario.

Last edited by jimmers on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 6:55 am

Thanks Jimmers! V close to a done deal it seems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tipperary v Kildare   Tipperary v Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tipperary v Kildare
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next