Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Football League 2016

Go down 
+58
if_in_doubt
kildaregaa365
totalgaa
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
lily4fr
spot on
gaaman
jj
Carburyhill
sarsno1
Caprea
archie
ixus
Hurlerbehindtheditch
smokey
blackandgold
Cilldara_2000
jester86
TommyKeegan
Landro88
ndog
realmoore
Xavi
rob11
Rex
Ois
hope
kickingking
Lily8
Jimmy winning matches
lillyboy
BarryTLyons
Highball
Ogie
Botch
micky murphy
tpos
inexile
lomond
LillieLad
murof
Dinny Breen
Dido
parcel
theemperor7
Bān go Lēir
steviegenius
lilywhites on tour
Celbridgelad
jimmers
bob12
Gaa1928
jim
topcat
Taibi
Onhisboot
SeamusMurphy
Big Full Back
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Football League 2016 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Decent game between Sash and Athy last night, a real game of 2 halves with Sarsfields dominating the first half and going in 9-2 in front at the break but Athy fought back strongly in the 2nd half, a goal from David Holligan bringing them right back into it. Sarsfields fought back to regain the lead with a great score from Ray Cahill but with the last kick of the game Liam McGovern landed a boomer of a free from outside the 45 to tie it up.

Athy will be happier with the draw having trailed by 7 at half time and they were probably more depleted than Sarsfields were. A very good game for both teams to get in the run up to the championship.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 11:04 am

SFL matches fixed for Monday @ 6. Happy days. Well done CB.
We ll be lucky to have 15.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 10:55 pm

I see a lot of matches in the Senior B league being called off or given walkovers is this the start of players not interested walking away will we see this in the near future with the senior clubs?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 11:33 pm

After about 800 players giving everything for the last number of weeks in preparation for the club championship last weekend, what's the reward, wait all over the 'long weekend' for a game on the Monday night at 6.00 p.m. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Although I see one game in Div 1 is being played on Friday night ( someone has some sense) .
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 12:16 am

I know our b team has struggled badly and its no fun at all to play matches with 13.
Same can be said for our first team 1st team having just 16 players for their league games.
All I can say is the big teams will just dominate the club scene and the country clubs will find it harder and harder to ever win a senior championship. Or even make a final for that matter.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 1:31 am

Bank holiday Monday at 6pm suits absolutely no one, players, referees or supporters. . Is there no one in the CB with a brain.
I see some clubs have had the sense to move games to tonight and tomorrow night, maybe for the reason that they'd struggle to field a team.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 4:15 am

Our game is tonight, thankfully. I feel for players playing on Monday but not one bit surprised at the timing. Whoever does these fixtures is nothing but an idiot and if I didn't know any better, I'd think they were on a wind up.

The rule banning 16/17 year olds playing senior football is having a huge affect on small clubs. The numbers are just not there in rural clubs. It was a ridiculous and I'll thought decision from the GAA. Player burnout out is one big myth, it only realistically affects a tiny percentage. 16/17 year olds these days are big lads and well able to take care of themselves.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 7:23 am

There needs to be a motion brought before convention next year that league games can't be fixed any later than 12 on a Sunday morning, this would stop this nonsense from happening. There is not one player playing Monday evening that is happy with the timing of this game!!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 7:27 am

There are probably a good few that won't play.
Back to top Go down
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Joke, specially after lads having to play champ on a Sunday, their reward is to sit in all weekend and wait for 6pm on Monday. Is it cian o Neil organising when league games should be played or some dope from the CB
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 11:02 pm

Celbridgelad wrote:
Joke, specially after lads having to play champ on a Sunday, their reward is to sit in all weekend and wait for 6pm on Monday. Is it cian o Neil organising when league games should be played or some dope from the CB

+1
Back to top Go down
jester86
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi lads, been a long time admirer or this forum enjoy the analysis and banter but this is my first time posting.
I've played senior football for a mediocre club for the past 12 or so and finally made up my mind my playing days are finished, it would be big decision to make leaving mid season and one i may have a think about the next few days but if its not now then its definite i wont play after this season. I've only just turned 30 and would love to play for another 3 or 4 years at least but cant keep this up. have a 3 year old and a partner whos pulling her hair out at another weekend sat on the couch saturday/sunday night...asks me why cant matches be played friday evening, saturday or sunday and cant even give her an answer. Our club cant field a second team this year..had 15 at training last night..literally dozens of our lads in 20's have turned around and decided they want a life the last few years and waved the football goodbye. Cant say i blame them...ah well, roll on Monday evenin
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 11:45 pm

jester86 wrote:
Hi lads, been a long time admirer or this forum enjoy the analysis and banter but this is my first time posting.
I've played senior football for a mediocre club for the past 12 or so and finally made up my mind my playing days are finished, it would be big decision to make leaving mid season and one i may have a think about the next few days but if its not now then its definite i wont play after this season. I've only just turned 30 and would love to play for another 3 or 4 years at least but cant keep this up. have a 3 year old and a partner whos pulling her hair out at another weekend sat on the couch saturday/sunday night...asks me why cant matches be played friday evening, saturday or sunday and cant even give her an answer. Our club cant field a second team this year..had 15 at training last night..literally dozens of our lads in 20's have turned around and decided they want a life the last few years and waved the football goodbye. Cant say i blame them...ah well, roll on Monday evening

Looking at this site over the last number of year I am sure that some influential people in Kildare GAA football are active on this  site.   If ever you needed to send a message to the county board this is the one.   Someone needs to explain why these matches are being played on Bank Holiday Monday evenings and Sunday evenings before its too late.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 12:32 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
jester86 wrote:
I've played senior football for a mediocre club for the past 12 or so and finally made up my mind my playing days are finished, it would be big decision to make leaving mid season and one i may have a think about the next few days but if its not now then its definite i wont play after this season. I've only just turned 30 and would love to play for another 3 or 4 years at least but cant keep this up. have a 3 year old and a partner whos pulling her hair out at another weekend sat on the couch saturday/sunday night...asks me why cant matches be played friday evening, saturday or sunday and cant even give her an answer. Our club cant field a second team this year..had 15 at training last night..literally dozens of our lads in 20's have turned around and decided they want a life the last few years and waved the football goodbye. Cant say i blame them...ah well, roll on Monday evening

Looking at this site over the last number of year I am sure that some influential people in Kildare GAA football are active on this  site.   If ever you needed to send a message to the county board this is the one.   Someone needs to explain why these matches are being played on Bank Holiday Monday evenings and Sunday evenings before its too late.

I know where you are coming from.
And the younger generation just will not commit to doing what we have done from years.
The GAA are DRIVING players away big time.
Matches need to be set.
No cancellations.
County players play with their clubs.
Players will starting enjoying the game again and can have a life outside of the GAA.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 12:40 am

Welcome jester, and you're post sums up the feelings of most players..
Looking at the reserve leagues results, and the amount of games where w/o are been given is a worry. . How soon will it be until this start to happen with first team's ?, especially with the way the current regime are handling fixtures. . I know of at least one team in DIV 3 that have given a couple of walkovers.. we ourselves had to recently play a div one game with 10 of our 2nd team, and one sub.. and we're a middle sized senior club. . I can only imagine the difficulties clubs with smaller numbers are having.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 1:02 am

Back in the 80/90's the majority of league matches were Tuesday once the evenings got long leaving summer Sundays free bar the odd challenge match on Saturday or an early Sunday morning session where you weren't sent home if you had a few pints the night before. I know with more lads in college now Tuesday wouldn't suit but surely fri night might work or would that impact on the training regime's
Back to top Go down
jester86
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 1:19 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Welcome jester,  and you're post sums up the feelings of most players..
Looking at the reserve leagues results, and the amount of games where w/o are been given is a worry. . How soon will it be until this start to happen with first team's ?, especially with the way the current regime are handling fixtures. . I know of at least one team in DIV 3 that have given a couple of walkovers.. we ourselves had to recently play a div one game with 10 of our 2nd team, and one sub.. and we're a middle sized senior club. . I can only imagine the difficulties clubs with smaller numbers are having.

Seamus I literally was thinking the same myself during the week regarding 1st teams not being able to field a team, I think we're on the brink of that happening if we lose another 3 or 4 lads. Its gone from anger and frustration to being sad about it now, its not just our club i know so many lads through school days or work who are saying its the same in their clubs.These are all proud gaa clubs with massive history behind them...struggling to put decent first team together never mind second. Go to a division 1 league match not involving the top 5/6 teams and you'll see its very apparent that footballs on a downward slope in Kildare.
Back to top Go down
jester86
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 1:30 am

lillyboy wrote:
Back in the 80/90's the majority of league matches were Tuesday  once the evenings got long leaving summer Sundays free bar the odd challenge match on Saturday  or an early Sunday morning session where you weren't sent home if you had a few pints the night before. I know with more lads in college now Tuesday wouldn't suit but surely fri night might work or would that impact on the training regime's

Hard to imagine now isn't it lillyboy?
Football being based around life not life around football...
Lads arent looking for miracles like all league matches played Friday evenings or Saturdays. We all know the odd time a match simple has to be played at an awkward time and thats part and parcel of it...but the fixtures have simply got less and less player friendly as the years have gone on....at least we as players get enjoyment out of playing the game, spare a thought for the wifes/girlfriends/kids of players who get nothing in return...
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 1:43 am

Do we get enjoyment out of playing?
The enjoyment of playing GAA is few and far between each year imo.
What enjoyment is there in training with 11 lads.
What enjoyment is there in going out with 15 lads to play a senior game knowing 7 of those lads are b team lads who are not up to it and you are going to get hammered.
What enjoyment is there in begging lads to come play.

Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 2:17 am

The clubs themselves are partly to blame for voting back in these goons when there was a viable alternative put on the table back in December. As I said at the time, cowards.

We played last night, we had a grand total of 16 players and were hammered out the gate. Young lads are turning their back on the GAA and I can't blame them one bit. The rugby and soccer are taking over in this county.

And people wonder why only about 2k Kildare supporters turned up against Wexford a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Taibi on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 2:17 am

Its an absolute joke the way the club players are being treated at the moment and then they get questioned about commitment and lads slating their performances from a high stool...
Another weekend gone and it has an affect on family life and many younger lads are giving it up .. one problem I have is that I don't think one club brought it to Kildare AGM last year or complained when the fixture list came out....
this is a call out to all that can to bring it to the next congress and try to get it sorted... need some player power here maybe next year with the reduced amount of teams in each league it will make it easier
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 2:27 am

I'm trying my best to think why the games are fixed for this Monday bank holiday weekend and the only thing that i can think of is to do with the Kildare Seniors. Have they a training weekend and the players are away are they training/match this Sunday etc. The county players can play with there clubs this weekend. My own club asked to change this game a few months back to a Tuesday or Wednesday of next week but they were told we could change it but the co players on both teams could not play either of those days. The more I think about it the more delighted i am to stop playing senior football this year.
Back to top Go down
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 2:40 am

I think we will see a lot more club players never mind county players retire around the age of 27-30
Back to top Go down
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 2:42 am

The reason the games are on this Monday are as above stated, the only day county players are being released to play with their clubs
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 2:47 am

We've been talking about this shit with the club fixtures on this forum years. A few years ago our club proposed a motion which was passed unanimously that the CCC should fix all Division 1, 2 & 3 games on Saturday evenings unless the county team is playing that day. Unfortunately we knew that it couldn't be made a by law but nonetheless it passed unanimously. It must have been forgotten since.

And then you have this carry on with ruining the leagues so players will have even fewer games and more training.

RIP Kildare GAA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football League 2016   Football League 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Football League 2016
Page 9 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next