Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hurley and Brophy

Go down 
+3
SeamusMurphy
jj
kildaregaa365
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Looks like Sean Hurley will be coming home having been "de-listed" by his club.

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-08-30/list-lodgement-update

Meanwhile Paddy Brophy, who had been doing well at reserves level has to undergo shoulder surgery and will miss the rest of the Aussie rules season.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Was just thinking at the week end we could do with a big full forward option next year and would love to have Brophy available ideally. But Hurley is another who could give us an option at 14. I know he's generally played around the middle for us but don't think he has the pace for that position at inter-co. Hopefully he does return to play for us but it's not a given in this day and age.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Paddy will be staying over there more than likely from what I've heard. New deal quite likely following shoulder surgery.
Hurley has potential to be a big player for us should he choose to get involved, presuming that he his coming home. Target man in around full forward line would be where I'd see him
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 8:42 pm

No guarantee if they do come back they'll have the right attitude to play with the county again.. since paul and Dan came back they seem to be plaqued with injury.. no doubt it can be difficult going from a professional career back to ametuer, but they also seem to have picked up different niggling injuries over there.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 9:05 pm

jj wrote:
Paddy will be staying over there more than likely from what I've heard. New deal quite likely following shoulder surgery.
Hurley has potential to be a big player for us should he choose to get involved,  presuming that he his coming home.  Target man in around full forward line would be where I'd see him

To be clear I wasn't suggesting Brophy was likely to be coming home. Seems to be doing ok although I always wonder is it better for a 23/24 year old to be earning money playing reserves in a foreign land or playing inter county at home. I guess some of that depends on which county you're from. Not many Dubs out in Oz whereas we've been raped and pillaged.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Crofter wrote:
jj wrote:
Hurley has potential to be a big player for us should he choose to get involved,  presuming that he his coming home.  Target man in around full forward line would be where I'd see him

To be clear I wasn't suggesting Brophy was likely to be coming home. Seems to be doing ok although I always wonder is it better for a 23/24 year old to be earning money playing reserves in a foreign land or playing inter county at home. I guess some of that depends on which county you're from. Not many Dubs out in Oz whereas we've been raped and pillaged.

Slight overreaction - there are two Kildare lads in Australia at the moment. There have been a few others but they're home now.

I don't know, when Paddy is 50, will he have loved the fact he got to live in Australia for a few years and played sport professionally? Does Cribbin regret it? I'd bet Hurley won't, though it's unfortunate he never got a run at it with that bad injury.

Who knows, like Ó hAilpín, Kenneally and Tuohy, Paddy might make it his permanent home.

It's perfect for young lads - the very worst that happens is they get to go away for a spell and have that done and out of the system. If they don't fancy it, like Flynn, or Kilkenny or Heslin, they come home.

From what I can gather, he is going very well and improving all the time. I'd say he'll get a new contract but obviously, he would be some man for Kildare in terms of being able to play more directly and being less predictable.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 4:09 am

Cribbin, Flynn, Brophy, Hurley from a Leinster U-21 winning team (rare enough in Kildare). I'll stand by my "over-reaction" although of course the players are right to take the opportunity when it comes. Just wish the GAA (and Kildare GAA in particular) was as attractive an option for young Kildare lads as it is for certain other counties. But then when you see Bernard Brogan advertising 2 or 3 different products across social media / TV it's obvious we can't even compete with the professional sportsmen 30 miles up the road. Wasn't suggesting Brophy should come home or anything like that by the way.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 7:11 am

Brophy and Hurley huge losses for Kildare. Unlike the Dubs, we don't have an enormous range of top class players to call upon when we lose a couple of promising youngsters.

Even still, I do feel when the 2013 U21 team are in the 25-30 bracket and supplemented by the underage talent we've been producing, we can Leinster.

People will say I'm mad, so be it. I remember in 1994, when we'd lost to the Dubs for about the 25th time in three years, Micko had resigned and Kildare football was in complete disarray, I still maintained that when Lynch, Buckley, Ryan, Rainbow et al hit their peak, we could win Leinster and challenge for an All Ireland.

My prediction was a national scandal and was debated in the sports pages for weeks. But I was right!
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 7:17 am

hope springs eternal HG, I'd like to thing that we'll compete again at a high level with in 3/4 years
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 7:28 am

lillyboy wrote:
hope springs eternal HG, I'd like to thing that we'll compete again at a high level with in 3/4 years

It's the waiting that kills you!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 9:56 pm

Crofter wrote:
Cribbin, Flynn, Brophy, Hurley from a Leinster U-21 winning team (rare enough in Kildare). I'll stand by my "over-reaction" although of course the players are right to take the opportunity when it comes. Just wish the GAA (and Kildare GAA in particular) was as attractive an option for young Kildare lads as it is for certain other counties. But then when you see Bernard Brogan advertising 2 or 3 different products across social media / TV it's obvious we can't even compete with the professional sportsmen 30 miles up the road. Wasn't suggesting Brophy should come home or anything like that by the way.

They weren't all gone at the same time though... and we know from evidence of years and years, that a good or even excellent U21, doesn't a good or excellent senior player make. But certainly, the interest in that crop was testament to where they were at that stage of their development. Was some kick in the nuts for Johnstownbridge in fairness though!!

I don't know, I don't think there are too many that actually turn down the invitation - McBrearty, Kilkenny, Heslin came home quickly, Flynn came home... obviously, if you're Dublin at the moment, there is more attraction to staying around. Kerry maybe, Tyrone (although they have lost a few over the years)... what IS interesting, is that more of those good Dubs or Tipp teams weren't targeted. Maybe they turned town the initial approaches.

So yeah, certainly easier to stick around if you're making a few bob from the GAA.

No, I know you weren't saying that about Brophy, sorry if I implied it. You get so many people talking about the AFL like they're some international drugs cartel, I was just overreacting myself a tad...

Anyway, a hungry, committed and focussed Sean Hurley would be excellent for Kildare.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Hurley back playing for JTB already last night. Flynn back from injury as well. Championship over for them though.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 4:23 pm

And Cribbin came on for 20 minutes as sub
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hurley and Brophy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurley and Brophy   Hurley and Brophy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hurley and Brophy
Page 1 of 1