Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Leinster club championships

Go down 
+23
micky murphy
jim
sarsno1
Dinny Breen
Highball
topcat
Botch
Big Full Back
Gaa1928
murof
Dido
lilywhites on tour
kildaregaa365
All_right_in_white
Caprea
lilysavage
Lily8
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
Jimmy winning matches
lily4fr
SeamusMurphy
TommyKeegan
smokey
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Leinster club championships - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 am

I think strength and conditioning Dido, or so a Moorefield man told me last night. Open to correction.
Back to top Go down
All_right_in_white
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 7:00 am

Dido wrote:
Just in from the Match....Sarsfields were 1/6 to win this game in Paddy Powers this morning....how that was I will never know.They scored 2 pts from frees in the first half didn't play at all.
Can't see Ben McCormick make it at senior county level going on the last 2 matches I have seen him play.
Sash behavior on and off the field didn't help themselves.1 Byrne getting sent to the stand and chackys head butt he got away with it in the County final but not today.
Unfairness after the sent off sash were better but couldn't get over the line and probably would be an injustice to Sean o manhonys ....sash have a young team and will probably contest more county Finals in kildare but that's about it.

Anyone know what's Rainbows connection is in sarsfields....a few suncroft players giving out the he wasn't with his own club helping them...

The same Anthony Rainbow standing amongst the Sarsfields line and purposely kicked a ball onto the pitch in the KFC semi final to disrupt play when their opponents were on the attack. Very disappointing from a county legend. Wouldn't have made any difference in the end but still bad form.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 7:06 am

Rainbow kids play for Sarsfields and they two people suspended for throwing a water bottle at roli when he was sent off in county final
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 7:33 am

Just curious, have the Kildare Champions won any match in the Leinster championship since Athy in 2011? Really shocking if they haven't but I think a few of those defeats were to Portlaoise.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 7:39 am

murof wrote:
Just curious, have the Kildare Champions won any match in the Leinster championship since Athy in 2011? Really shocking if they haven't but I think a few of those defeats were to Portlaoise.
Sarsfields 1-12. St Patrick's 2-6 in 2012
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 7:39 am

2012 - Sarsfields beat St Patrick's but lost to Ballymun in the semi-final.
2013 - Moorefield beat St Martin's but lost to Portlaoise in the semi-final.
2014 - Moorefield beat Rathnew but lost to Rhode in the semi-final.
2015 - Sarfields lost to Portlaoise in the quarter-finals.

To be fair to Kildare clubs in recent times, they've always beaten lesser sides, always came up short against the top few sides. It's why for me today was the worst loss by the Kildare champions in a long time, probably since Clara beat Larries in 2009.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 8:48 am

I think the standard of refereeing in Kildare was Sean O'Mahoneys 16th man today. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
I think the standard of refereeing in Kildare was Sean O'Mahoneys 16th man today. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

What are you trying to say GAA???
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 9:52 pm

Saw this last night. Sums up the team spirit in Sean O'Mahonys

Louth GAA on Twitter: "LIVE on #Periscope https://t.co/nw9oZK2gub
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 10:41 pm

Shocking stuff from the sash. Shocking.
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Big Full Back wrote:
Saw this last night. Sums up the team spirit in Sean O'Mahonys

Louth GAA on Twitter: "LIVE on #Periscope https://t.co/nw9oZK2gub

Not bad singing for an Intermediate Team:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Big Full Back wrote:
Gaa1928 wrote:

I am thinking that some of the tackles that you get away with in Kildare won't be allowed in Leinster, particulary the 'off the ball' stuff.

Referees don't tend to have any history with the clubs involved so have less of a problem in sending players off.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 4:47 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
Big Full Back wrote:
Gaa1928 wrote:

I am thinking that some of the tackles that you get away with in Kildare won't be allowed in Leinster, particulary the 'off the ball' stuff.

Referees don't tend to have any history with the clubs involved so have less of a problem in sending players off.

Wasn't getting what you were saying but understand now. I suppose within the county you'll always have tight and feisty affairs and sometimes Refs need eyes in the back of their heads so when they play outside the county there isn't the needle there. Think discipline is something that Sarsfields have had an issue with in the past and in fairness Crofton has got rid of a majority of it but unfortunately there's always one or two no matter what you say or do have a streak that can't be stopped. Chalky is a good footballer but on occasions can let himself down.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 5:22 am

Sarsfields were shocking yesterday for whatever reason. The amount of unforced errors was crazy and more than what our lads would normally make in 2 games. Ref had no bearing on the result. Overall it probably shows where kildare football is at at the minute.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 5:55 am

topcat wrote:
Sarsfields were shocking yesterday for whatever reason. The amount of unforced errors was crazy and more than what our lads would normally make in 2 games. Ref had no bearing on the result. Overall it probably shows where kildare football is at at the minute.

Not suggesting that the ref had anything to do with the result, he rightly sent Chalky off, which although I know Sarsfields came back after that still can't have helped the cause.

But this is what happens when you get away with these things in your own county over a period of time and then move on into Leinster where the officials don't care who you are or what club you play for.  Could have been sent off in the 1st half also so no complaints on that score.

One major factor thougth I feel is that the game that the Sean O'Mahoneys had two weeks ago is a big plus while Sarsfields had no game for 4 weeks.

Have to agree thought, Kildare Gaa in mini crisis.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 7:52 pm

As usual, the answer is somewhere in between...

One point I would make (and I know its the same for all teams) but Sarsfields wouldn't exactly be the most physical team going. I was worried going to the game with the weather making it a heavy pitch which is a leveller. SOM were a physically dominant side and you could tell they would die for each other on the pitch. Not naming names but could the same be said of sarsfields. I noted a number of 50/50 collissions, tackles etc which lads didn't go fully in for. Disappointing.

Sarsfields are still a good side but they are missing some strong leadership on the field. John O Brien at centre half back is a warrior and a fantastic reader of the game. He nullified a lot of what sarsfields were trying to do. The same qualities from chalky were sadly missing on the day.
Winter football doesn't suit Sarsfields and they weren't able to adapt.

SOM will be hard bet, be interesting to see how they get on against Rhode but they are a tough, plucky but limited side. Sometimes that's enough to get you through. Especially at home.

On a side note, Drogheda is a shambles of a county grounds. Pitch completely uneven. An embarrassment. Made newbridge look like croke park.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Good post Highball. These games are never easy to win , especially away on a disgrace of a pitch. Sash are top of the ground footballers and lack grit to dog it out. SOM have been improving over past no. of years (they had plenty of scope given Dundalk population) . The Longford Champions beating the Westmeath champs and the Offaly Champs beating the Meath champs doesn't necessarily mean the standard of football in those respective counties is worse either.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 8:49 pm

It's all about perspective, Tyrone club sides are pretty shit in the Ulster Senior Football championship. I don't think anyone would question Tyrone's pedigree. Also when Eire Og and Baltinglas were flying I don't remember Carlow and Wicklow ripping it up. How many All-Irelands have Armagh taken home? They have one the greatest clubs sides ever in Crossmaglen!!
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 5:40 am

Very true dinny.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 am

The club scene in Tyrone is so competitive and tribal that the winners are usually knackered by the time they contest the provincial series. Wicklow were good in the early 90's after the club win, drew in 91 with that great Meath side and should have beaten Kildare in 93.
It generally doesn't do the smaller county team much good if there is a dominant club side. Portlaoise, Eire Og and Crossmaglen are good examples. In each of those cases there is a distinct lack of desire to play for the county by many of the club players.
Clane had a third of the Kildare team in the 90's and definitely should have won a Leinster but didn't seem too bothered after the county title.
Surprised at Sarsfields, thought they would have given Leinster a real go this year after retaining the county title.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 9:19 am

Could Sarsfields just have underestimated SOM. I heard a rumour that Palatine beat them recently in a challenge and they were made look average by St. Vincent's.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 10:57 pm

It's a valid point.. and leaving Smith on the bench until half time was an odd decision.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 11:05 pm

They were taking in very seriously in that the rested all there senior players for u21 championship. Sarsfields have no leg to stand on if they feel aggrieved that their county players are getting wrapped in cotton wool and they get no access and then they do that themselves!! Mind boggles!!
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 11:14 pm

I think Alan Smith has other things on his mind. If that is not affecting him in some way he does have serious issues
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 11:56 pm

No doubt botch.. but there was a difference in fairness when he was introduced.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championships   Leinster club championships - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leinster club championships
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next