Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where to next?

Go down 
+40
Cassanata
flourman
Hurlerbehindtheditch
murof
Big Full Back
lily4fr
Snowwhite
Flamingo
Ohtoohtobe
Rex
Badger85
lomond
Taibi
jj
TheManInTheStands
totalgaa
Gaa1928
lilysavage
Liffey Likes
white boy
SeamusMurphy
micky murphy
steviegenius
Kildare98
tpos
Highball
fatherted
Caprea
intheback
OutTheGap
jimmers
bite the pillow
Ois
maccie
lillyboy
tomoneillandhissisteranne
kelf
Cilldara_2000
DONTPULLOUT
KILL BILL
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

Where to next?  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 am

under age teams winning is no guarantee of winning at senior level anymore its like playing a different sport even kerry are struggling at this time after so many minor wins , so where does that leave lads who were over these teams in the pecking order of say running a senior outfit ? just asking the question
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 9:30 am

I’d have no problem with Glenn Ryan getting it. His U21 team were my favourite Kildare team yet, serious flair backed by serious steel. Beat a team managed by someone called Jim Gavin, too.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 10:46 pm

I saw a message on a phone saying that Glenn Ryan was the new manager of the Kildare seniors then about an hour later another message saying that Cian o Neill got the job now what ever relationship Glenn had with Donnolly after that completely broke down. Now that Donnolly term is up I would say that Glenn would love a craic at it hopefully
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 1:46 am

steviegenius wrote:
I saw a message on a phone saying that Glenn Ryan was the new manager of the Kildare seniors then about an hour later another message saying that Cian o Neill got the job now what ever relationship Glenn had with Donnolly after that completely broke down. Now that Donnolly term is up I would say that Glenn would love a craic at it hopefully

Same : by all accounts up until the Friday, the job was Glen's and he had his backroom team picked. Then O'Neill was named on the Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 2:09 am

Unfortunately if the Chairman is not due to move on until December then the chances of Glenn getting it are slim.
That's way to late to bring in a new manager.

So for it to happen both men will need to put aside any grievances. Alternatively a separate committee would be set up without the Chairman's influence. If Glenn was recommended then he would be obliged to accept.

Still think Glenn would be too proud to allow himself to be put in a similar situation as before.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 2:36 am

Glenn and the Lads got harsh treatment alright. 
Maybe mr donnelly could go early.. that would solve it.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 3:10 am

I am right in thinking that CON has just completed year 1 of a 2 year contract ????
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 3:13 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
I am right in thinking that CON has just completed year 1 of a 2 year contract ????
correct
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 3:29 am

GAA managers are “amateurs” therefore any mention of contracts doesn’t stand up with regards to anyone being held to a contract.
If the COB move to get rid of CON early, it doesn’t matter.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 3:45 am

Just hearing that he is about to resign
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 4:20 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Seamus, i think i know who would 2nd that motion. Shay "mr donnelly" Tompkins. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 5:26 am

From KFM Twitter

Contrary to earlier speculation, Cian O’Neill has told KFM sport that reports re he stepping down have no substance. He will meet Board in a couple of weeks for discussions etc
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 9:10 am

Looks like from the couple of tweets from KFM he's thinking of staying on.

I would have thought the defeat by Tyrone was so comprehensive that it showed he has taken the team as far as he can. I think the general mood of Kildare GAA supporters is that it's time for a change. Peter McConnon said so on KFM after the match as did Johnny Doyle on the GAA hour.

If he left now I think people would think that he worked hard during his time in charge and gave us a few good days (Meath in 2017, Mayo in 2018) If he stays, I think he will have lost the confidence and goodwill from the supporters and I can't see it ending well.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 10:08 am

He’s done a reasonable job, gave us a taste of super eights and division one, but it really is time for a switch and he should be mature and self-aware enough to see that
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 10:33 am

bite the pillow wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
Seamus, i think i know who would 2nd that motion. Shay "mr donnelly" Tompkins. Very Happy

What have I done  Mad
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 10:42 am

JohnnyC wrote:
Looks like from the couple of tweets from KFM he's thinking of staying on.

I would have thought the defeat by Tyrone was so comprehensive that it showed he has taken the team as far as he can. I think the general mood of Kildare GAA supporters is that it's time for a change. Peter McConnon said so on KFM after the match as did Johnny Doyle on the GAA hour.

If he left now I think people would think that he worked hard during his time in charge and gave us a few good days (Meath in 2017, Mayo in 2018) If he stays, I think he will have lost the confidence and goodwill from the supporters and I can't see it ending well.

I'd imagine the Players would also wellcome the change.. although some would gladly stay loyal.. 
I'd love to see a Manager coming in with the liaroidi to start with a clean slate, and make each and every player earn his place.. rather than this God given right that some have.. as in, ah shur I might play next Year, I'll see.. the Manager should decide if he'll pick you, not if you want to or not.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Hard to think there's enthusiasm anywhere in the county for him to stay on and you'd magine he would be aware of this. At this juncture, after 4 years, it's difficult to see things improving under him if he stays for another year.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 6:18 pm

No good can come from him staying. Not for the County or himself. A clean break is needed where everyone leaves on decent terms. Another year and I doubt that would happen.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 7:55 pm

I think there would be hostility to him staying on among supporters. He made good progress in his first 2 years albeit from a Div 3 base. However the fall from the highs of reaching a Leinster final has been spectacular culminating in an embarrassing loss to Carlow.
The Mayo game gave him an unlikely 2nd chance but the league campaign was dispiriting with failure to win promotion and poor integration of the U20'S.
There is no doubt he tried hard but results and performances in the last 2 seasons are no where near good enough. I think most people would appreciate if he made an early dignified exit.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 9:16 pm

If the 2 tier proposal happens, then it will be nervous times for the div 2 sides.. and it dosent take much for teams to slip into div 3. As we know all to well.
Time for a change now.
Back to top Go down
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 10:19 am

Con’s inflated ego will not let him resign even when we all know it is the right thing to do. “An inflated ego destroys team work”. He has been part of successful teams as we all have at some stages in our lives but you can’t take credit for the teams success. Look at articles written in local media just before con appointment by mr Donnelly’s and the county boards mouthpiece and propagandist. Paper doesn’t refuse ink and a lazy journalist doesn’t refuse a copy and paste article. Mr Donnelly should go now. In relation to the leaking of the Glen Ryan appointment the day before cons coronation it was confirmed to me by one of the county board lesser lights and hawkfield lackeys that con was the chosen one. He even told me that glen Ryan was never in the running owing to personal reasons dictated to mr Donnelly from external sources.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Shay tompkins wrote:
Con’s inflated ego will not let him resign even when we all know it is the right thing to do. “An inflated ego destroys team work”. He has been part of successful teams as we all have at some stages in our lives but you can’t take credit for the teams success. Look at articles written in local media just before con appointment by mr Donnelly’s and the county boards mouthpiece and propagandist. Paper doesn’t refuse ink and a lazy journalist doesn’t refuse a copy and paste article. Mr Donnelly should go now. In relation to the leaking of the Glen Ryan appointment the day before cons coronation it was confirmed to me by one of the county board lesser lights and hawkfield lackeys that con was the chosen one. He even told me that glen Ryan was never in the running owing to personal reasons dictated to mr Donnelly from external sources.
How little you know.....
Not sure what successful teams you have been part of Shay however i do know that CON has worked with All Ireland winning teams... and has a proven record. No-one can take that away from him so give him the credit he is entitled to.
As for ego, you are not doing too bad yourself on the soapbox here week in week out. You must be due a holiday soon with all your conspiracy theories.....
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 9:40 pm

You dont need to look at media before CON's appointment - you just need to look at the forum. It was a very popular appointment which the Co Board were congratulated for by almost all. So they got the man the fans wanted.Im sure its contra to your intention but you have highlighted an example of where the Co Chairman delivered.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 am

Where to next...

A. CON stays and there is a good chance the lads who are there are sick of listening to his voice (not a dig as it happens in vast majority of places after 4 years) and the lads who walked still might not be keen.
We sit tight in Div 2 for another year and flitter around the edges of a Super 8.

B. Glenn comes in and has a few legends backing him up. He gets some of the players back and we pray for no injuries. We push hard for Div 1 and Super 8s.
The U20s get bedded in more.
The worry is that lads have pre-conceived ideas that Glenn is all blood and thunder and some of these lads might not respond.

C. Davy Burke and others. Lads who know the players and the county. Ross Glavin is another one in that mix. A young winning manager.
But if things don't go to plan they would be badgered out of it sooner rather than later.

D. Cash MONEY! We splash cash and try to convince a big name manager in and the place gets a boost and the full commitment of all the players. We all have a good couple of years and then it all goes to shite at the end and back to square one...

Feel free to throw in as many options as you want. It's more constructive than bashing lads.

We need a succession plan too. Lads to cut their teeth and then step up.
Naturally we would all love Jimmy McGuinness but in reality...

Where to next - the fuckin club and let's have lads playing with their clubs and showing some grit for them.
Let that be the place where county men stand up and are counted and if a 'club man' is getting the better of them too often then it's time to go.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 9:41 pm

Good post Flamingo. I’d agree with most of what you’ve said. One thing to say is that we are in a higher division now than when CON took over and if we make the wrong decision - it wouldn’t take much for us to fall back. Cork, Derry and Down were all in the top division a few years ago and will be in division 3 next year. A few bad calls etc....

Glen would be my number one choice. I wouldn’t mind the fact that some players might be a bit scared of him because things look a bit too happy in the current setup. A lot would depend on who he would get in on his backroom team but I’d be confident he would make the right choices. I think this is a longer term job, bringing in young players and rebuilding the team and people might be prepared to give Glen more time.

If we stayed local, I’d share the concern that people mightn’t be given enough time. It might be too early for Davy Burke who might be better learning the ropes as a selector first. Ross Glavin would be an interesting option - would he be interested? Another option could be Niall Carew (with Roli?) who was involved when we played our best football under McGeeney and has experience with Waterford and Sligo.

If we went outside the county, there are people like Malachy O’Rourke and Liam Kearns who could possibly come in and do a good job. I’m not sure the Kildare job would be attractive as there is no chance of provincial honours like in other provinces. There are also lots of bad “merry-go-round” managers out there that I’d hope we’d go nowhere near. There could be left field candidates like Tony McEntee but they would seem risky. I’m not sure even if we threw a lot of money at it that we’d get a “big name” manager. Jack O’Connor is usually mentioned but I’d doubt if he’d be interested.

It’s a massive decision for Kildare football. Do we stick or twist? No guarantees - either way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to next?    Where to next?  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to next?
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: