Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person

Go down 
+20
Ogie
rubencarter
bob12
wingback
Loads of Pints
SamMaguire
stanley
Onhisboot
Derfil
walsheman
Ohtoohtobe
sam10
Sam1928
peile
Jimmy winning matches
kickingking
Stonecold
Horsebox
rgb
Rex
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Stonecold wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Jaysus Stonecold you really love your rugby. What's Jamie Heaslip done to be mentioned there? Good player and all, but greatest ever Kildare sportsperson?

2 Triple Crowns, 1 Grand Slam, 1 Heineken cup, 1 Magners Leagues, Lions Player.............. I suppose winning every honour in the Northern Hemisphere is not much for a 26 year old I suppose.........

Beat that Shackleton!
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:18 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
Brian Dowling??

Jedward?? More of Rathangan's finest! Cool
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:45 pm

Would Geordan Murphy not surpass that record?
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:50 pm

rgb wrote:
Would Geordan Murphy not surpass that record?

Jaysus yeah, forgot all about Gordon..................
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:51 pm

You mean Geordan?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
Should have known. No decent Kildare man would be rooting around in the bushes of the Phoenix Park.

Rooting being the operative word in that sentence.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 3:49 pm

good to see deputy stagg pulled his trousers socks up and got on with what he knows best, serving his constituents, young and old
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 3:54 pm

johnny mcdonald
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Fone, I think if we had a thread about who could have been one of Kildares greatest sportsmen Johnny McDonald would have made it . A naturally gifted footballer.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:06 pm

stanley wrote:
Fone, I think if we had a thread about who could have been one of Kildares greatest sportsmen Johnny McDonald would have made it . A naturally gifted footballer.

Nuxer????
Back to top Go down
wingback
Senior
Senior

Location : Two Mile House and Poulaphouca, Blacktrench, Cutbush and Boolea

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
Stonecold wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Jaysus Stonecold you really love your rugby. What's Jamie Heaslip done to be mentioned there? Good player and all, but greatest ever Kildare sportsperson?

2 Triple Crowns, 1 Grand Slam, 1 Heineken cup, 1 Magners Leagues, Lions Player.............. I suppose winning every honour in the Northern Hemisphere is not much for a 26 year old I suppose.........

Beat that Shackleton!

he is a cert to be Irelands next captain also once BOD retires
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Geordan Murphy, Jamie Heaslip, Trevor Brennan - are we a rugby county - LOL only joking many's a great person in the county my top 3 sports person / teams

1: Ruby Walsh
2: Rugby Lads
3: Kildare 2010 - will undoubtfully get the nod if we bring sam home

Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Nuxer???

In fairness to Niall Buckley he gave a lot of years to Kildare and played some of the best football I ever seen any individual play for the county. I think with the injuries he picked up over the years he was past his best when he went to the states, he had his own reasons for leaving and owes the supporters of Kildare nothing in my opinion. People still talk about Larry Tompkins and Shay Fahey's defection to Cork but it was their decision and they too must have good reasons for it. Lets hope the current crop of talented young footballers decide to stay around for the long term.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:11 am

stanley wrote:

Nuxer???

In fairness to Niall Buckley he gave a lot of years to Kildare and played some of the best football I ever seen any individual play for the county. I think with the injuries he picked up over the years he was past his best when he went to the states

He was 29 ffs when he went to the states
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 9:32 am

Nuxer was probably one of the best players I have seen in my time. I marked him once ye know. Scored a goal I did and everything that day.
Nuxer still comments I was the toughest opponent he ever played against. ;-)

U-13 Community games in Newbridge. 1986. Morristown v Highfield. Our careers then went in opposite directions.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 11:33 am

What could have been Sam.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:27 pm

JME wrote:

Theres not a day goes by I dont think about it JME Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_cry

Seriously though he was a great player.
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:41 pm

JME wrote:

It was more a case of 'what never was' in sam's case, JME........ bom
Back to top Go down
rubencarter
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:17 pm

pat taffe
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:23 pm

wingback wrote:
Sam1928 wrote:
Stonecold wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

Beat that Shackleton!

he is a cert to be Irelands next captain also once BOD retires

Northern hemisphere being the operative phrase... I have a problem with all the adulation for rugby lads when the fact is they get the shite knocked out of them any time they play southern hemisphere opposition (Exclusing mudbaths in Ireland in November). Not knocking them, fine players, but greatest Kildare man of all time, I object...
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:12 pm

what is the criteria? Competing on the world stage? the national stage? what level of achievement? You'd imagine Larry Stanley would have to be there or thereabouts given that he achieved highly at both national and international level in two different sporting disciplines.

Obviously, if you're talking more than sport, it's hard to see how Shackleton could be topped... was he actually a Kildare man?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Yeah from Athy Ogie not certain about this but I think he might not have seen himself as a fior gael though if ya know what I mean. Not that that should make any difference, he did better in the southern hemisphere than the rugby lads!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Not that that should make any difference, he did better in the southern hemisphere than the rugby lads!

Have to say that is a cutting remark while at the same time funny and true.
Back to top Go down
gaaweb
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 6:55 pm

What about Arthur?

I know he didn't do very much but he's certainly brought hours of pleasure to lots of people lol!
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 7:22 pm

[quote="bob12"]Geordan Murphy, Jamie Heaslip, Trevor Brennan - are we a rugby county - LOL

+ Bob Casey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person   Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next