Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

6 nominations for GPA team of year

Go down 
+11
peile
Ogie
lilypremier
Fear An Geata
Lily8
kartman
walsheman
if_in_doubt
Rex
FearBan
Jimmy winning matches
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

6 nominations for GPA team of year Empty
PostSubject: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 11:18 pm

peter kelly emmet bolton daryl fylnn eammon callaghan johnny doyle and james kavanagh

also johnny doyle is up player of year
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Surprisingly (and deservedly Very Happy ) one more than Down and only 3 behind Cork. Its great that these players are finally receiving the credit they deserve.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Great to see Flynn in there, that inclusion convinces me that the GPA awards are far better gauge of players than the All stars.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 11:40 pm

the full list is on www.sportsnewsireland.com
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Great to see more of the lads get the recognition they deserve. Not the biggest fan of the GPA itself at times but at least these awards have a bit more of a genuine gauge of how good lads were over the course of the year. Also like the way players get nominated by number rather than just getting nominated with 8 other lads across the one line.

Doyle will be as much a cert as anybody to get one you'd have to imagine. Kelly would be my favourite for the number 2 spot too. Bolton at number 6 is up against Canty and Gormley, Canty's All Star had a touch of a testamonial / career achievement award about it so Bolton will be in with a very good chance this time around.

Reckoned Kavanagh and Leper would both be in with a great chance each, especially Jimmers after picking up a GPA player of the month award, but then you see him up for the same position as Bernard Brogan so it'd be a long shot for him to win it. Leper up for number 11 with Matty Clarke so it's unlikely he'll win that vote too.

Delighted to see Flynn get nominated, very underrated player from a national viewpoint, surely going to be a star for the next few years in midfield, unfortunately midfield will probably be the toughest position to win one in with the likes of Keenan, Macauley and Galvin getting a lot of coverage in the media.

We'll get as many as the All Stars anyways I'd say with Bolton next in line, would love to see Flynn get one and to be honest think he had as good as, if not a better year than the 3 midfielders mentioned above, but think he could miss out to Keenan and Galvin when the votes are cast.

Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 12:04 am

delighted flynn got him worth-while mention for this
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 am

Delighted for flynn,very underrated player.I think this team will be very different and prob more realistic than the all stars.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 1:08 am

Well done to the 6 lads.

Hopefully Peter Kelly will get one. He's up against Charlie Harrison who also got an All Star though but I'd say Peter will get it.

In my opinion Canty didn't deserve an All Star so hopefully Bolton will get the no. 6 here.

I'd love to see Flynn get it in the middle of the field but Keenan will probably get it there and most likely Aidan Walsh. Apart from his performance in the final he didn't really stand out for me but after him getting Young Player of the Year at the All Stars too he'll probably get it.

Leper will probably lose out to Marty Clarke. Sheridan hasn't a hope after the Leinster final I wouldn't think.

John Doyle will surely get no. 12.

If James Kavanagh wasn't up for the same spot as Bernard Brogan I'd think he'd have a good chance but Brogan's a cert for no.15. He'll most likey get Player of the Year too.

Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 1:15 am

Nominees for Opel GPA Football Team of the Year 2010:

1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin) / Brendan McVeigh (Down) / Alan Quirke (Cork)

2. Charlie Harrison (Sligo) / Seanie McDermott (Roscommon) / Peter Kelly (Kildare)

3. Justin McMahon (Tyrone) / Rory O’Carroll (Dublin) / Michael Shields (Cork)

4. John O’Brien (Louth) / Eoin Cadogan (Cork) / Philly McMahon (Dublin)

5. Kevin McKernan (Down) / Tomas Ă“ SĂ© ( Kerry) / Stephen Lavin (Limerick)

6. Graham Canty (Cork) / Conor Gormley ( Tyrone) / Emmet Bolton (Kildare)

7. Paudie Kissane (Cork) / Philip Jordan (Tyrone) / Damien Freeman (Monaghan)

8/9. Paddy Keenan (Louth) / John Galvin (Limerick) / Aidan Walsh (Cork) / Michael Darragh Maculey (Dublin) / Daryl Flynn (Kildare) / Dick Clerkin (Monaghan)

10. Patrick Kelly (Cork) / Daniel Hughes (Down) / Alan Costello (Sligo)

11. Martin Clarke (Down) / Joe Sheridan (Meath) / Eamon Callaghan (Kildare)

12. John Doyle (Kildare) / Cathal Cregg (Roscommon) / Graham Reilly (Meath)

13. Daniel Goulding (Cork) / David Kelly (Sligo) / Colm Cooper (Kerry)

14. Donie Shine (Roscommon) / Benny Coulter (Down) / Steven McDonnell (Armagh)

15. Donnacha O’Connor (Cork) / Bernard Brogan (Dublin) / James Kavanagh (Kildare)

Back to top Go down
lilypremier
Senior
Senior
lilypremier

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:06 am

Great news for kildare! Well done lads- daryll flynn well deserved.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:46 am

I can't find the thread, I wouldn't know how, but I did say that JD would get a nomination for the GPA award for player of the year - now I actually thought that was because the players picked, but they only vote from here. A committee picks the nominations. So I was right. But I must admit by reasoning was flawed.

Regarding Canty - everyone seems to think he didn't play all year. But did he not just miss the 10 or 15 minutes he was sent off for in the replay against, the second half against Dublin and the first half against Down? He played against Kerry twice we'll say, Cavan, Wexford, Limerick twice - was poor obviously against Dublin in the semi and played a massive role when coming on in the final (and was very good in the Qualifiers and against Kerry)... I don't find his selection that much of a surprise at all - it's just he doesn't go up the field kicking points anymore. But his man doesn't usually score that much either

I think JD has a great chance of player of the year - it's definitely between him and Brogan I reckon, although there is huge respect for Coulter amongst the players too
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 3:04 am

I'd expect, J.D, Kelly and Bolton to get the nod, Brogan is nailed on for POTY unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 5:23 pm

About time Flynn got some recognition it's well overdue. The journos just see the boys scoring the points or the backs that nullify a prolific scorer, they miss everything in between.

JD in with a great shout for player of the year, will be close.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 7:43 pm

To be honest I'd love to see JD win the player of the year but I'd say Brogan will pick it up....
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 8:55 pm

I agree Ogie, I don’t understand this criticism of Canty's selection. He was excellent against Kerry twice and was wrongly sent off. He was very good in the Cavan and Wexford games, excellent against Roscommon (he did miss the last 10/15 minutes of this game too), poor against Dublin (obviously injured) and made a huge difference in the AI final when he came on. I think he'll get the selection over Bolton unfortunately.

I think Morgan is a bit unlucky not to be selected when you look at the candidates picked for number 5 on the team. Thomas O'Se?!? Why exactly? He did have a good Munster final but only after he knocked off Kelly who was roasting him up until he half killed the lad. He could/should have been sent off 2 or 3 times after that. McKernan was centre half back all year. If you're not good enough to be selected in you own position you probably shouldn't be selected anywhere. Can't comment on Lavin because I didn't see enough of him. I think Morgan had a good year.
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 11:11 pm

Like the rest, Id love to see Johnny get player of the year. It will be a tight call between him and Brogan but I can see our man nick it.
I'm surprised at some calling for Morgan to be included, I thought he was well below the level he set last year. As indeed was Flanagan. Not saying either were bad, but definitely were not as good as last season.
Im hoping it may be as a result of some serious bulking up and will balance in time, but with all the options we have at half back, this could be where the most changes are made to the team.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 pm

Newbridgefan wrote:
I'm surprised at some calling for Morgan to be included, I thought he was well below the level he set last year.

Ehhh? Jaysus I thought Flynn, Morgan & John Doyle were our best players in that order.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:56 am

Newbridgefan wrote:
I'm surprised at some calling for Morgan to be included, I thought he was well below the level he set last year.

Don't know what matches you were watching this year?

Morgan (bar the Louth match when nearly everyone had a stinker) was consistency personified all summer. Won a mountain of breaks and rarely wasted possession.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6 nominations for GPA team of year   6 nominations for GPA team of year Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

6 nominations for GPA team of year
Page 1 of 1