Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread

Go down 
+81
whitetop
faithfullily
stanley
parcel
kildarecat
midfieldmaestro
lomond
flourman
Flamingo
hawker
kartman
babyduck
truelily
Admin2
Sam1928
losthope
Yellow Pearl
Always_White
pedrobob
lilly-exile
snowman
lillies11
Admin
Taibi
Horsebox
White Bridge
wingback
browser
tomcruise
Ogie
naked-lilly
Jimmy winning matches
lastline
smokey
shoutitout
KILL BILL
Loads of Pints
FearBan
carburyman
peile
whitestar
town man
Big Full Back
learmus
tomoneillandhissisteranne
bloodsub
Derfil
Fear An Geata
GAA_PUNTER
Come on the Boys in Blue
The Giant
overthebar
jim
patw14
lilypremier
Frankel
centreback
Square Ball
Muvverfuk
steviegenius
analysis
rob11
ChopperDalton
rgb
GaaHead
Oneill
Lily8
TheBigFullForward
The Oracle
if_in_doubt
walsheman
bob12
jj
Adam91
Son of Sarsfields
Rex
kickingking
Dara
Muller
Stonecold
daracill
85 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 5:39 am

fionnmccool wrote:
Apologies Ogie, you were right all along, i bow to your superior knowledge.

Do you know if Rob Kelly can play for Kildare this weekend now UCD is gone?

Dowling is maturing more and more with every game, he is still only 18.

Would have liked to see him stick the ball in the net from that penalty though, wonder did Leper tell him to pop it over the bar?

On a side note People are forgetting abuot Roli too, I think he still has a lot to offer. Is he injured?

It takes a big man to admit these things Fionn, fair play to ya....

I can't imagine any circumstance in which Rob would be allowed play, you can't play for two teams in the one competition, that'd be taking 'being Irish' to a whole new level altogether!

Roli will still have a role. Right now he's not in the top six but he'll be back energised and it's a long way between now and May... and as we learned last year, it's a long way between May and June so there's nothing anywhere near decided yet.... he'd be very much in the mix.

As for forwards' workrate or anyone else's, there's nothing new in the forwards'. It's a pre-requisite to be anywhere near the team. JD, Leper, Jimmers, Smithy, whoever.

As for David Whyte kicking long-range frees... I don't have the stats but in the past 12 months, I'd say that's the first point he's scored for Kildare from 45s out of about 12 attempts... he obviously has shown the ability for club and in training to be kept at it but anyone who's been to the OBC and league last year and OBC this year will recall that he has either kicked wides or dropped them short. Hopefully his two kicks on Sunday will have boosted the confidence and he gets tehm all now, because ye're dead right, the top freetakers get these 90% of the time - Redmond, Stafford and Corkery, it was above 95% I'd say. Our percentage would be below 50 - that's a guess now, but I'd say it wouldn't be good.
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 8:26 am

midfieldmaestro wrote:
Johnny is a good free taker but is pretty limited in range to approx 35m in.

Also, as someone mentioned Rob Kelly kicking 5 points (2 or 3 frees) for UCD yesterday is impressive and is listed on the paper as starting full forward. Did he actually play in that position? Would that be a good position for him for Kildare? Would be worth a shot in my mind.

Johnny is limited from 35m in??????????? You obviously missed the two frees he kicked against Westmeath in the League last year to win the game after Kildare's bad start. I think the last one was from about 55m... Anyway, in hopping a ball, it's good to have back-up...

According to people at the game, Rob had a goal chance towards the end, but saw it saved. He scored 0-7 - the papers attributed some scores to Ciaran Lyng... He played full-forward and would be a serious option at FF, seen as it isn't a position with a solid occupant yet. I would imagine he feels he has a lot to prove to himself after missing most of the season last year. Remember, he was Kildare's top scorer in the O'Byrne Cup and League until his injury....

I believe Kildare are looking into the logistics of having him available this Sunday. Can you imagine the Louth full-back's face, if he saw again?????
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 am

I think gaahead, maestro means you wouldn't put your mortgage on Johnny putting it over from further out.
Yes he'll kick them from time to time, but having someone consistent from further out would be a big bonus to the team.

David Whyte can kick them no problem, but in the pressure games his accuracy can sometimes desert him. In the County final especially first half he missed a succession of frees, most probably through nerves, he's still a young man if he can conquer his fear of the big occasion, who knows?, played some great stuff for Moorefield last year and kicked some mighty points from distance.
But whether he can command a first team starting birth remains to be seen?.

As for Roli, he wasn't at his best for Kildare last year, but was simply outstanding for Moorefield when he came back into the team after Kildare's exit (would be my choice for club player of the year, but probably didn't play enough games? so Moggy might usurp him?), this in stark contrast to the year before where he had a great season for Kildare yet was very poor for his club.
Roli has obviously been practicing his free taking, he was virtually faultless for Moorefield in last seasons championship, in previous seasons when Roli took a free it was usually 50/50 whether it was going to sail over the bar or not, now when he steps up you expect him to score everytime.
Of course I'll probably be accused of bias, but I think Roli has still a lot to offer this Kildare team.
Only back from his honeymoon so probably won't be rushed back into the team.

Its still only January and it would be wise to keep our feet on the ground, it would be nice to win next w/end and go into the league with a winning mentality, and hopefully be the catalyst to a decent league campaign, which can only help our preparation for Wicklow, don't fancy another Louth type ambush......
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 am

is eamonn mc cormack is gone off panel
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 am

if kildare finished that move in the second half which heffernan punched,it wud have been close to goal of the season,ripped them apart and the pass by callaghan was class
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 am

walsheman wrote:
if kildare finished that move in the second half which heffernan punched,it wud have been close to goal of the season,ripped them apart and the pass by callaghan was class

The chance O'Neill hand passed to the keeper was a nice enough move too, harried the man in possession, won the ball, few hand passes to the player on the overlap and Paudie's clean through with Gately running in unmarked on the other side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:46 pm

I find it a bit ridiculous that Rob Kelly cannot be available for Sunday.

Your looking at a possible scenario that Rob will have played no games with Kildare in preperation for the 1st round of the league in feb. He has also probably been mainly training with UCD also so realistically I don't think he can be considered to start for the league 1st round until he's had game time with Kildare.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
I find it a bit ridiculous that Rob Kelly cannot be available for Sunday.

Your looking at a possible scenario that Rob will have played no games with Kildare in preperation for the 1st round of the league in feb. He has also probably been mainly training with UCD also so realistically I don't think he can be considered to start for the league 1st round until he's had game time with Kildare.

Why not Fionn? Surely Johnny and Jimmers (if available) will walk back into the team for the League despite not playing in the O'BC. I'm sure Flynn will come straight back in too when his suspension is up. McGrillen came back in for the League last year after playing for DCU in the O'BC.

Moolick and Dowling will probably only feature occasionally from now on with the u21s likely to be their priority. That should free up a position for Kelly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:20 pm

If Moolick and Dowling are good enough to feature I think the Seniors should be their priority.

I dont see anyone walking straight back into the team if there not training.
If Jimmers was back from Aus I would presume he would have to train for a few weeks before slotting in.

I said it in the post KK, Rob has probably been mainly training with UCD this last few weeks, he's had no game time and probably little training with Kildare.

Realistically in my opinion he probably wont start the first game of the League due to the GAA's rules on College players.

It will be a big test for the midfielders this week against Louth. They love coming to Newbridge and spoiling the party.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:31 pm

I think if you are Geezer you have to be careful when it comes to picking the first league team. We can pick who we want or all day and it does not make a blind bit of difference.
Geezer on the other hand must try and balance the lads who have been playing well in the games up to now and the big names who have yet to come back in.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:34 pm

on the free kicks lads if the free is 45yrds plus its not a plus 60 percent kick for most teams i`d say the best long distant kicker in the country is bryan sheehan and even he would miss a few i`d say he would be on the 70% success rate mark so lets not be hard on the lads who miss the long distant ones cause they are not easy to get the distance first and second the accuracy.
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 pm

Agree lads,think when it comes to the first game Geezer will have the team that he thinks are good enough to win,
Think on sunday louth are in for one hell of a shock.Saw a bet today kildare to win ob cup,division 2 and leninster 33/1 nice price
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 pm

Lads are we forgetting about Eoghan o Flaherty all talk is about Moolick & Dowling where are they going to play they are good young players but are not tested. To me Eoghan is as important to Kildare as the likes of Johnny & Kavanagh and has to play when fit I think he could become one of the top 3 forwards in Ireland.
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 pm

fone wrote:

jacko played for juniors sunday nite in celridge...paddy dunne gone from panel
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 1:02 am

fionnmccool wrote:
I said it in the post KK, Rob has probably been mainly training with UCD this last few weeks, he's had no game time and probably little training with Kildare. Realistically in my opinion he probably wont start the first game of the League due to the GAA's rules on College players.

Why won't Rob play in first league game????? He has been playing games plus, since he returned from swine flu, two weeks ago, Rob has been training with Kildare while playing with UCD - no rule against that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 am

He might GAA head, All I'm saying is that in my opinion he may not start the first league game as he's had no game time with Kildare the last 4 weeks.

He might start. Great Option at full forward, Heff has some serious competition in Rob let me tell ya.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 2:50 am

jerry lawlor wrote:
fone wrote:

jacko played for juniors sunday nite in celridge...paddy dunne gone from panel
hw come dunnes gone?
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 2:55 am

Rob Kelly is playing competitive football with UCD. THey are preparing for the Sigerson Cup and that's prob. more competitive than the OBC. It's just great to see Rob back playing and who knows, the next time he's taking a 13 meter free for the Lillies, there won't be a Down man in his way....
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 2:58 am

Big Full Back wrote:
Rob Kelly is playing competitive football with UCD. THey are preparing for the Sigerson Cup and that's prob. more competitive than the OBC. It's just great to see Rob back playing and who knows, the next time he's taking a 13 meter free for the Lillies, there won't be a Down man in his way....
if its a 13 metre free and theres no down man in the way,then theres something seriously wrong with downs defending cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 am

fionnmccool wrote:
Heff has some serious competition in Rob let me tell ya.

If its a straight choice between these two for full foward, Rob can perch himself on the edge of the square in Casement Park now. No contest at all.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 am

yeh kelly wud be picked hands down!!
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 4:28 am

walsheman wrote:
yeh kelly wud be picked hands down!!

I should certainly hope so anyway !
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 am

I see TG4 have the shield final on live on Saturday. i wonder why that is? confused

ps There might be an element of sarcasm somewhere in the question.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 am

Difficult to figure that out Hawker, never known a shield match to be shown before but there must be a reasonable explanation, I presume the proper final is on the TV on Sunday so I can set the sky+ box
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 5:08 am

Rex wrote:
Difficult to figure that out Hawker, never known a shield match to be shown before but there must be a reasonable explanation, I presume the proper final is on the TV on Sunday so I can set the sky+ box

Well you have presumed wrongly. I can't figure it out at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread
Page 16 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next