Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Team for Wicklow

Go down 
+14
Lily8
FearBan
Muller
topcat
Put It Up
CluabĂș
overthebar
Square Ball
midfieldmaestro
ChopperDalton
Fear An Geata
Rex
kickingking
kildaregaa365
18 posters
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:23 am

As I feel our League is effectively over, what do people think the Championship team is going to look like ?

This would be my team along with the one I expect Geezer will select :

1. S Connolly (me) - S Connolly ( Geezer)

2. H McGrillen - H McGrillen
3. M Foley - M Foley
4. G White - A McLaughlin

5. M.O'Flaherty - M. O'Flaherty
6. E.Callaghan - E. Bolton
7. E.Bolton - B. Flanagan

8. D.Flynn - D.Flynn
9. H.Lynch - R.Sweeney

10. E.O'Flaherty - E.O'Flaherty
11. P.O'Neill - P. O'Neill

12. J. Kavanagh - J. Kavanagh
13. R.Sweeney - E. Callaghan

14. R.Kelly - R.Kelly
15. J.Doyle - J.Doyle

Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:40 am

1 Connolly
2 McGrillen
3 Foley
5 M O'Flaherty
7 Bolton
8 Flynn
10 Callaghan
12 Doyle

About half the team is anyone's guess at this stage. Hopefully the picture will become a bit clearer after the Sligo match.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am

kickingking wrote:

1 Connolly
2 McGrillen
3 Foley
5 M O'Flaherty
7 Bolton
8 Flynn
10 Callaghan
12 Doyle

Can't disagree with that, it highlights shows the problems we have from 9 onwards. Basically the league is nearly over and we only have half a team as certainties, God forbid Hank or Foley pick up an injury.
The next few weeks need to be used to their utmost to get a shape in the forwards. If we don't Micko will be dancing on our Leinster graves for the second time in 3 years. That's not a happy thought.
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:16 am

1. Connolly
2. McGrillen
3. Foley
4. Fitzpatrick
5. M O'Flaherty
6. Bolton
7. G. White
8. Flynn
9. O'Neill
10. Callaghan
11. E. O'Flaherty
12. Sweeney / Dowling
13. Doyle
14. Kelly
15. Kavanagh
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:42 pm

I think that team Fear an Geat put up is our strongest 15 and will beat Wicklow. Reckon Sweeney will get the nod over Dowling. But we have some options on the bench, - Smithy, Dowling, O Connor, Mollick, Brophy, Flanagan. Midfield still a slight concern.
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm

I'd be abit worried that he are missing some natural experienced leaders in the team around the midfield. Would prefer to play Callaghan as a third midfielder if we had someone to step up like Kelly did last year but the full back line is crucial now adays as they mark the oppositions most dangerous players and we have to get that line as strong as possible.

1. Connolly
2. McGrillen
3. Foley
4. Callaghan
5. M O'Flaherty
6. G. White
7. Bolton
8. Flynn
9. Sweeney
10. E. O'Flaherty
11. O'Neill
12. Kavanagh
13. Doyle
14. Kelly
15. Smith
Back to top Go down
Square Ball
Intermediate
Intermediate

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 7:51 pm

1. Connolly
2. McGrillen
3. Foley
4. Fitzpatrick
5. Bolton
6. M O'Flaherty
7. Moolick
8. Flynn
9. Brophy
10. Kelly
11. O'Neill
12. E. O'Flaherty
13. Doyle
14. Callaghan
15. Kavanagh
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 pm

ah square ball, your hardly from the top end of the county......??? not sure moolick ever played wing back and brophy has yet to start a game this year for us and you want to start thse two of them in the championship...... heart ruling the head i'd say............ Surprised
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 pm

overthebar wrote:
ah square ball, your hardly from the top end of the county......??? not sure moolick ever played wing back and brophy has yet to start a game this year for us and you want to start thse two of them in the championship...... heart ruling the head i'd say............ Surprised

Peter Kelly never played a senior game before the Antrim match. Brophy defo would do a job for us. North/South who care.
Back to top Go down
CluabĂș
Junior A
Junior A

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:55 pm

1. Connolly
2. McGrillen
3. Foley
4. Fitzpatrick
5. M O'Flaherty
6. Bolton
7. G. White
8. Flynn
9. Lynch
10. Callaghan
11. O'Neill
12. E. O'Flaherty
13. Doyle
14. Kelly
15. Kavanagh

I think the stars of the campaign will be Eoin O'Flaherty, Emmet Bolton and Rob Kelly. Big year ahead for all three lads. Lynch needs to step it up also as he is more than capable. Exciting year ahead all the same.
Back to top Go down
Put It Up
Junior C
Junior C

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:13 am

Chopper, Peter Kelly came on as an early sub against Meath in the last league game last year.

Point still noted though as no one would have thought then that he would have made the championship team come the summer. Wouldn't rule anyone out of a starting position yet...
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:53 am

Connolly

McGrillen
Foley
Lyons

M O Flaherty
Chalky
Bolton

Flynner
P O Neill

Leper
Roli

R Kelly
E O Flaherty

Johnny
Jimmers.

Lyons is only there because basically, Fitzpatrick hasn't played since O Byrne Cup was very impressive in it though and if he recovers from injury, he would be in the team. I think both have to be ahead of Mac who just gaves away far too many soft frees close to goal for my liking.
Back to top Go down
Muller
Intermediate
Intermediate

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:52 am

Have to agree with fear and geata and i'd go with roly over dowling for experience if nothing else. Maybe even Chalky going to centre bck and bolton attacking from the wing. Agree with alot of the posts though its still wide open with 6 or 7 positions that no one can be certain on.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 4:56 am

Connolly

McGrillen
Foley
Mac

Morgan
Bolton
Chalky

Flynn
O'Neill

Roli
JD
Leper

Kavanagh
Kelly
Smith (obviously only if he rediscovers his form, otherwise I'd go with Dowling)

I don't agree with the general consensus regarding Mac, I think he should and will start. Half backs have been a trouble area this year. None of the lads we have tried have been exceptional.

Midfield I'd go with O'neill to start with. Hugh seems to do better coming into a broken game and he has the ability to change a game.

Same reasoning for going without Eoghan in the forwards. He has the ability to turn a game that is in the melting pot and is more of an impact sub than anyone else. Cribben is very close and no doubt will see action but I feel with Leper, Morgan and Bolton all in the side we don't need his skill set from the start.

My one wish is that Smithy finds form between now and championship time as he is the one player the really offers us something different.

In through Geezer style, this team will look nothing like our starting team v Wicklow.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 5:04 am

1.Connolly
2. McGrillen
3. Foley
4. McLoughlin
5. M O'Flaherty
6. White
7. Bolton
8. Flynn

Lynch will probably be in the middle too. After that it's hard to predict with the amount of players looking for a position in the forwards. Apart from Doyle it's wide open at the moment I think. Callaghan if fully fit will be there somewhere too but I don't know about the other 4. Kavanagh, Kelly and Smith would be a great full forward line if they are all on form but you still have Eoghan O'Flaherty, Sweeney, Padraig O'Neill, Cribbin, Dowling etc. We definitely have lots of options for the forwards anyway.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 5:10 am

1 S Connolly

2. H McGrillen
3. M Foley
4 A McLaughlin

5. M.O'Flaherty
6. G. WHITE
7. E.Bolton

8. D.Flynn
9. P .O. NEILL

10. K .CRIBBEN
11 R . SWEENEY

12. J. Kavanagh
13. E. Callaghan

14. R.Kelly
15. J.Doyle

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 10:05 am

1. Connolly- St. Laurences

2. McGrillen- Celbridge
3. Foley- Athy
4. McLoughlain- Ellistown

5. M. O' Flaherty- Carbury
6. Bolton- Eadestown
7. White- Sarsfields

8. Flynn- Moorefield
9. O' Neil- St. Laurences

10. Dowling- Suncroft
11. E. O' Flaherty- Carbury
12. Callaghan- Naas

13. Kavanagh- Ballymore
14. Kelly- Straffan
15. Doyle- Allenwood
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 pm

1. Connolly- St. Laurences

2. McGrillen- Celbridge
3. Foley- Athy
4. Lyons-Celbridge

5. M. O Flaherty- Carbury
6. Bolton- Eadestown
7. White- Sarsfields

8. Flynn- Moorefield
9. Lynch- Confey

10. E O Flaherty- Carbury
11. O Neill- St Laurences
12. Callaghan- Naas

13. Smith- Sarsfields
14. Kavanagh- Ballymore
15. Doyle- Allenwood
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

Team for Wicklow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team for Wicklow   Team for Wicklow Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 5:11 am

Connolly

McGrillen
Foley
Mac

M O Flaherty
Bolton
Chalky

Flynn
Lynch

Paudie
Callaghan

E O Flaherty