Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare

Go down 
+20
KILL BILL
hawker
flourman
Ohtoohtobe
Ogie
Admin
the big cal
BelieveToAchieve
Jimmy winning matches
Sam1928
lastline
Taibi
walsheman
kickingking
if_in_doubt
Could'nt Trap Cement
parcel
MD
ChopperDalton
armagh4sam
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 9:01 pm

I reckon Glenn Ryan and Sos Dowling are the only two Kildare men with the pedigree to replace McGeeney when he leaves ( which hopefully won't be for a long time).
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 pm

IN that case, I hope Geezer stays for the forseeable future. Both those guys were heroic players, but if they were to take over the managerial reigns we could expect a return to the days of half of Newbridge being on the Kildare panel with a couple of Towers players thrown in for good measure. All there on merit of course lol!
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Bit harsh FuturesWhite. Glenn only used five players from the clubs you mentioned in the 2008 run to the All-Ireland U21 final.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 12:19 am

FuturesWhite wrote:
IN that case, I hope Geezer stays for the forseeable future. Both those guys were heroic players, but if they were to take over the managerial reigns we could expect a return to the days of half of Newbridge being on the Kildare panel with a couple of Towers players thrown in for good measure. All there on merit of course lol!

On what basis are you making this statement?
Back to top Go down
the big cal
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 am

What sexist remark or indeed derogatory.....stasi
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:50 am

On the basis that anytime we have had local managerial regimes we have had a dose of these big Newbridge reputations who cannot get off the Kildare panel. Alan Barry, Ziggy McIntyre, Martin Dunne, James and Ian Lonergan, Ross Glavin, Jason Phillips - None of which were ever up to senior county standard.

The facts show that it takes outside managers to get any sort of decent performances from Kildare teams.

Would you like me to post future comments to you for prior approval in future Flourman? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 am

Not all FuturesWhite ... I would like you to explain how many of those players mentioned by yourself were picked by Glen Ryan? And the fact that Glen Ryan is the only manager to lead Kildare to an All Ireland Final in the last 10 years makes your point of it taking outside managers to get the best out of players totally false (not a fact, as you seem to believe). I might also add that the last two Kildare teams to win Leinster Championships were managed by Kildare men.

So as I have stated before I do not want to 'prior approve' your comments - be nice if you learned the difference between a fact and an opinion though.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:17 am

flourman wrote:
Not all FuturesWhite ... I would like you to explain how many of those players mentioned by yourself were picked by Glen Ryan? And the fact that Glen Ryan is the only manager to lead Kildare to an All Ireland Final in the last 10 years makes your point of it taking outside managers to get the best out of players totally false (not a fact, as you seem to believe). I might also add that the last two Kildare teams to win Leinster Championships were managed by Kildare men.

So as I have stated before I do not want to 'prior approve' your comments - be nice if you learned the difference between a fact and an opinion though.

Not quite true flourman. Smile

Surely last wekend counts.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:21 am

My apologies Flourman, how stupid of me to associate the name of this topic with the Kildare SENIOR footballers. The only success we have had at senior level has been through outside managerial talent.

I can tell that you are a Glen worshipper so I wont go any further with my thoughts except to say that Glen the footballer was and is a totally different man to Glen the manager.

In your opinion he would be a suitable replacement for Aiden O'Rourke or even Geezer. From my personal experience, he would not!
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 am

Wow you can tell I am a "Glen worshipper" - from stating the FACT that, in his only term as a Kildare manager, he brought the team to a Leinster championship and an All Ireland final. I am far from a Glen worshipper - I am a realist - and I am making an opinion based on FACTS - not like yourself - who are trying to make up facts out of your "own personal experience". It is quite clear that these personal experiences have blinded you from the fact that as manager of Kildare U21's Glenn Ryan was a success.

You obviously have some personal vendetta or ill feelings for the man (and that is your right) - and consider anyone who defends his managerial record as a "Glen Worshipper".

However your personal feelings are not backed up by any facts.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Any truth in the rumour that Oisin McConville is under consideration to replace Aiden O'Rourke?
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:26 pm

KILL BILL wrote:
Any truth in the rumour that Oisin McConville is under consideration to replace Aiden O'Rourke?

Hope so - if he can do with the forwards what O'Rourke did with the backs.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Would have to agree with you flourman I think it is a forwards coach that is missing from the set up at the moment and McConville would be perfect. I know he spent a few nights in Athy with the under 21's last year and by all acounts he was a good coach.

As for a good coach for the backs surely you look no further than Geezer.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:45 pm

FuturesWhite I don't follow the logic that because John Crofton picked those players you mentioned, that that would mean Glenn Ryan would do the same. I'm not a 'Glenn worshipper' either, I hope McGeeney stays for as long as he likes, merely stating that if he did leave Glenn would be the best-placed Kildare man to take over. I know he seems to rub a lot of people up the wrong way from club football in recent times, but fcuk it, he's a winner, it's not about being nice
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Lads theres a massive difference in managing an underage team and managing a team full of adults. I have played with and against Glen for years, you can't tell me anything about the man that I dont already know.

Personal Vendetta? now where have you pulled that from Flourman? Im not going to come here and spill my guts in a public forum about Glenn Ryan just to prove some 'FACTS' to you. But I am entitled to voice my opinion and my opinion is that a Glen Ryan regime would not be in the same league as the current one.

I hope that whebever Geezer does decide to call it a day that the countyboard don't make the easy decision. That they get out and scour the country for somebody to take the current setup onwards and upwards. Somebody that would be capable of unearthing new talent just like Geezer and co have done.

For far too long we have suffered with inhouse managements who pick only the ones they know. Who refuse to pick players that are so very obviously good enough to play. If had've stuck with Crofton the likes of Morgan, Flanno, McGrillan, Rob and Peter Kelly etc could still be going to watch Kildare play instead of being amongst our best performers.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Look FuturesWhite, no-one knows for sure whether he'd make a good senior manager for Kildare or not, but I'm just saying it's unfair to suggest he'd ignore players from smaller clubs. You seem to be confusing Crofton with Ryan. For example, I don't see how any Kildare manager would miss out on picking Peter Kelly, given his form with UCD. You seem to suggest Glenn mightn't have picked Morgan O'Flaherty because Crofton didn't, and yet Glenn made Eoghan O'Flaherty one of the two or three pivotal men on his team. Just because Kildare have done badly in the past with Kildare men at the helm, doesn't mean they always will. Remember, no outside manager has won the All-Ireland since O'Mahony, and most counties are doing well with their own managers.

None of this is a criticism of McGeeney. He's improved us immeasurably and I think he's better than other outside managers because he's given savage commitment. I hope he stays for two or three more years and wins silverware. I'm just saying, if he did go in the next couple of years, I'd rather see someone like Glenn Ryan in charge rather than, say, go down the Meath route with someone like Banty.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:12 am

I think Oisin McConville would be a good choice to replace Aidan O'Rourke.
He seems to like Kildare and he'd probably be a big help to the forwards alright.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:51 am

Thats exactly what Im saying O2B. None of the smaller clubs got a look in when there were local managers. They all opted to go with the gossip and local opinion and choose the big reputations.
Yes Glen may or may not be a good manager, but dont forget he overlooked the likes of McGrillan and one or two others to go with his own.

Outside managers owe nobody anything. They dont have to bpw to aul fella's who are "in the know".
Carry on as we are and let Glen do as he's doing. Delighted to hear Geezer is staying, not that there was ever a doubt.

Get a good forwards coach in now, get the injuries cleared up and start afresh before Xmas and we'll be rearing to go again...
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 am

It'll be interesting to see who is brought on board now that o'rourke has stepped down........... will carew stay on board or will there be a complete shake up of all mentors and back room team... i'd say glenn will probably stay with longford for another year but i think he will be given the chance a some stage in the near future to manage kildare and rightly so........ we have an awful habit in this county of putting down our own and finding excuses/reasons why not to give a managers position to a fellow county man who from the outside has all the qualifications to do the job............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 2:01 am

overthebar wrote:
It'll be interesting to see who is brought on board now that o'rourke has stepped down........... will carew stay on board or will there be a complete shake up of all mentors and back room team... i'd say glenn will probably stay with longford for another year but i think he will be given the chance a some stage in the near future to manage kildare and rightly so........ we have an awful habit in this county of putting down our own and finding excuses/reasons why not to give a managers position to a fellow county man who from the outside has all the qualifications to do the job............

Where did you pull this bullshit out of? Were you absent from all reality between the years of 2002 and 2008?
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 2:48 am

Thanks for that comment there fionn, i never mentioned the years from 2002 to 2008........... imo i think there a few in kildare who could be successful as kildare manager in the future........ the past can not be changed but i think the structures are better with regards to coaching and managers having more qualifications nowadays than a few years ago...... by the vibs coming from some of your threads you like to insult and belittle people who dont agree with you....................
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 3:11 am

overthebar wrote:
Thanks for that comment there fionn, i never mentioned the years from 2002 to 2008........... imo i think there a few in kildare who could be successful as kildare manager in the future........ the past can not be changed but i think the structures are better with regards to coaching and managers having more qualifications nowadays than a few years ago...... by the vibs coming from some of your threads you like to insult and belittle people who dont agree with you....................

Apologies overthebar if I come across like that, a lot of it is poking fun and not serious.

I agree with your opinion in that there are people in Kildare who could be a sucessful manger in the future. Glen is already a sucessful manager having won an u21 Leinster with Kildare and Division 4 with Longford.

But to suggest we have a habit of running down our own county men and have excuses not to give them a job is no the case.

Plenty have been given the chance in the past, as you know.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:47 am

Well said Fionn. We have had plenty of locals running the show for donkeys years. Look at before and after Micko was there, there were many Kildare men who had several chances of managing the team and one example is John Crofton, who was actually in Mickos team of selectors in 1997 - 1999, and managed then in 2005 as we all know. Another example that I know of is Eamonn O donoghue, who had two stints, another local kildare man. So the chances were given to them. And in my opinion Glenn would make a great manager, but were just glad to continue wih geezer for the near future and may he lead us to the Holy Grail one day!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2