Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare 2012

Go down 
+13
champ
bag of white
midfieldmaestro
White Bridge
kildaregaa365
Rex
murof
topcat
tomcruise
Ohtoohtobe
Come on the Boys in Blue
Botch
TommyKeegan
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 am

Given the fact we realise that ourselves, Dublin, Cork and Donegal are the ones likely to be vying for Sam next year, and the fact Dublin are champions for 2011, best to look ahead rather than back. All going well, provided every gets fit and stays fit, serious looking team we'll have! My XV below.

1. Shane Connolly

2. Hugh McGrillen 3. Mick Foley 4. Peter Kelly

5. Emmet Bolton 6. Morgan O'Flaherty 7. Mikey Conway

8. Dermot Earley 9. Daryl Flynn

10. Padraig O'Neill 11. Eoghan O'Flaherty 12. Eamonn Callaghan

13. John Doyle 14. Tomas O'Connor 15. James Kavanagh

Which leaves a serious bench with the likes of Andriu MacLochlainn, Gary White, Brian Flanagan, Hugh Lynch, Ronan Sweeney, Alan Smith, Rob Kelly and a few new faces who are standing up in club championship! Here's hoping they stay fit because that has the look of a team that could win it all, as well as the strongest Kildare team there has ever been. Roll on 2012.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:59 am

If we have that team I fancy us to make the semi's at least. Would like to win Leinster though
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:00 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Given the fact we realise that ourselves, Dublin, Cork and Donegal are the ones likely to be vying for Sam next year, and the fact Dublin are champions for 2011, best to look ahead rather than back. All going well, provided every gets fit and stays fit, serious looking team we'll have! My XV below.

1. Shane Connolly

2. Hugh McGrillen 3. Mick Foley 4. Peter Kelly

5. Emmet Bolton 6. Morgan O'Flaherty 7. Mikey Conway

8. Dermot Earley 9. Daryl Flynn

10. Padraig O'Neill 11. Eoghan O'Flaherty 12. Eamonn Callaghan

13. John Doyle 14. Tomas O'Connor 15. James Kavanagh

Which leaves a serious bench with the likes of Andriu MacLochlainn, Gary White, Brian Flanagan, Hugh Lynch, Ronan Sweeney, Alan Smith, Rob Kelly and a few new faces who are standing up in club championship! Here's hoping they stay fit because that has the look of a team that could win it all, as well as the strongest Kildare team there has ever been. Roll on 2012.

Ehh KERRY !!!! there not dead yet , Mayo ,Tyrone
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:07 am

Tyrone are on the way out and for a variety of reasons, one being too much loyalty strangely, Harte has taken too long in accommodating the underage players that have won a lot in recent years. Because of that they are only getting their places now and will take a couple of seasons to gel, and whatever about the Dublin game, Roscommon should have gotten a lot closer this time around.

People get far too excited about Mayo. One good win, and some poor performances this season. Horan has them on the right track but I think they ended up well about their station this time around and it'll be 2013 at the earliest before they end up in an All Ireland semi-final where they can compete.

As for Kerry, from what I hear Eoin Brosnan, Tomas O Se, Aidan O'Mahony and Tom O'Sullivan could be about to give the county game up. Take a look at their bench and under-21s result against Cork this year and that leaves Marc O Se, Killian Young and four new defenders behind a midfield that isn't good enough. Yes, they have some of the best forwards in the country, but this was a last hoorah for one of the greatest teams to play the game and it's transition time. On top of that Jack O'Connor may not be around to guide them through it.

Which leaves Dublin, Kildare, Donegal and Cork in my book. And if I'm honest, at this crazily early juncture I favour Cork but the above Kildare team has me excited about next year already. Just need a bit of luck as regards injuries and given everyone says bad decisions are balanced out, we are owed about 14 illegal goals next summer.
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:13 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Tyrone are on the way out and for a variety of reasons, one being too much loyalty strangely, Harte has taken too long in accommodating the underage players that have won a lot in recent years. Because of that they are only getting their places now and will take a couple of seasons to gel, and whatever about the Dublin game, Roscommon should have gotten a lot closer this time around.

People get far too excited about Mayo. One good win, and some poor performances this season. Horan has them on the right track but I think they ended up well about their station this time around and it'll be 2013 at the earliest before they end up in an All Ireland semi-final where they can compete.

As for Kerry, from what I hear Eoin Brosnan, Tomas O Se, Aidan O'Mahony and Tom O'Sullivan could be about to give the county game up. Take a look at their bench and under-21s result against Cork this year and that leaves Marc O Se, Killian Young and four new defenders behind a midfield that isn't good enough. Yes, they have some of the best forwards in the country, but this was a last hoorah for one of the greatest teams to play the game and it's transition time. On top of that Jack O'Connor may not be around to guide them through it.

Which leaves Dublin, Kildare, Donegal and Cork in my book. And if I'm honest, at this crazily early juncture I favour Cork but the above Kildare team has me excited about next year already. Just need a bit of luck as regards injuries and given everyone says bad decisions are balanced out, we are owed about 14 illegal goals next summer.

I suppose i cant disagree with that KC , i have said it umpteen times Kildare are not far away , a rub of the green and a bit of luck Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:33 am

It's very exciting to think of what we can field if everyone's fit.
I'd go with:
Connolly;
P Kelly, Foley, McGrillen;
M Flats, Bolton, Conway;
Earley, Flynn;
Leper, E Flats, Doyle;
Jimmers, Smith, Rob Kelly.
With T O'Connor a great option off the bench.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:47 am

From what I have seen in the championship this year Padraig Fogarty and Daroch Mulhall have to be seriously considered in 2012. Mulhall has kicked some of the classiest points in Newbridge in 2011.

The Geezer definitely has to consider some changes in the forwards this year if we are going to kick on and the above two look the most likely to me.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 5:03 am

Mullhall is also a fantastic left footed free taker, something we have been lacking for the last few years!!
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 5:33 am

Can we realistically expect Dermot to hold down a starting spot after all he has been through and at his age? Hugh Lynch is developing into a serious midfielder who can score from long range. Dermot would be a terrific impact sub if needed. Also agree about Fogarty and Mulhall getting a chance and think Rob Kelly deserves a chance to play alongside O'Connor. All in all much more to look forward to than Meath, Laois or Offaly. Roll on the O'Byrne Cup.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 5:53 am

The sight of the name Earley in that midfield fills me with confidence above anything else. A leader among men.

I don't think anyone can now question the strength of the panel. Apart from Dublin and Cork no one has a bigger pick of top committed players.

Our backline has showed that it is top notch and up to All Ireland standard and that was without Peter Kelly. If things went our way in the All stars we could have a full back line full of them.

We played all of last year without our best midfield and now if injuries don't haunt us again we have three of the best around in Lynch, Flynn and Dermot. This allows J.D back to the forward line

It's up front that need freshening up. I can see Fogarty and Mulhall starting in the O' Byrne.
Considering Smith and Kavanagh had poor seasons which I hope they don't repeat the fight for a starting spot will be huge.

Next year can't come quick enough.

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 6:23 am

Murof, I'm an overweight single man who won't be going out this weekend because of work reasons and my genitalia have more to look forward to in the coming days than Offaly do in the coming years.
Back to top Go down

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 6:32 am

Its very early yet to be thinking about a 2012 team.

The competition for places in Kildare at the moment is the best its been in living memory. We have ample cover for just about every position, we found this out due to injury and suspensions. We have good young lads coming through and some old dogs still around for the hard road.

Ollie Lyons,Kieran Fitzpatrick, Ciaran Kelly, Hurley, Darroch Mulhall, Tommy O'Neill,Podge Fogarty, Moolick, Conor Brophy all of them lads will have the benfit of year with the Seniors behind them next year or a year with the Juniors.

Coupled with returning from injury players like Conway, Earley,Peter Kelly, Hugh Lynch and Ken Donnelly all going well and a bit of luck on the injury front we should have a serious panel to pick from come May 2012.

Roll on the O'Byrne Cup.
Back to top Go down

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 6:35 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Murof, I'm an overweight single man who won't be going out this weekend because of work reasons and my genitalia have more to look forward to in the coming days than Offaly do in the coming years.

Neutrogena - Hard working hand cream, for hard working hands.

Kildare 2012 Neutrogena_hand_cream
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:54 am

murof wrote:
Can we realistically expect Dermot to hold down a starting spot after all he has been through and at his age? Hugh Lynch is developing into a serious midfielder who can score from long range. Dermot would be a terrific impact sub if needed. Also agree about Fogarty and Mulhall getting a chance and think Rob Kelly deserves a chance to play alongside O'Connor. All in all much more to look forward to than Meath, Laois or Offaly. Roll on the O'Byrne Cup.

Fully agree... Lynch ahead of Earley for me. Great option off the bench. I wouldn't like to be Geezer trying to pick a team out of that panel. Roll on 2012 !!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:18 am

fionnmccool wrote:

Dublin just won the All Ireland therefore it's never too early to think about 2012!
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 7:06 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
fionnmccool wrote:

Dublin just won the All Ireland therefore it's never too early to think about 2012!

True..........you can bet your life that the management are thinking about 2012!
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Things change constantly in football in terms of injuries, form and new players coming through. The last 5-10 years have seen Kildare have some great moments but often they still lacked certain players in Key positions. Full back and full forward have been huge problems. The emergency of Mick Foley and Tomas O'Conor this year have been a huge boost.. 2012 should hopefully see the return of our two All Stars Earley and Kelly which will definitely strenghten the team.

I've been impressed by the way McGeeney has steadily strenghtened the panel - would be great to see a young skillful forward make a big breakthrough this year - maybe Mulhall!
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:01 pm

midfieldmaestro wrote:
Things change constantly in football in terms of injuries, form and new players coming through. The last 5-10 years have seen Kildare have some great moments but often they still lacked certain players in Key positions. Full back and full forward have been huge problems. The emergency of Mick Foley and Tomas O'Conor this year have been a huge boost.. 2012 should hopefully see the return of our two All Stars Earley and Kelly which will definitely strenghten the team.

I've been impressed by the way McGeeney has steadily strenghtened the panel - would be great to see a young skillful forward make a big breakthrough this year - maybe Mulhall!

It would be great to see Mulhall, Fogarty and Dowling take a real step up in the O'Byrne cup and League next year. If we can get another forward who you could rely on to kick a few points each game it would be a real bonus as our midfield and defensive work is very strong.
Back to top Go down

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:50 pm

[quote="TommyKeegan"][quote="fionnmccool"]Its very early yet to be thinking about a 2012 team.

[/quote]

Dublin just won the All Ireland therefore it's never too early to think about 2012![/quote]

Never a truer word spoken Tommy
Back to top Go down
champ
Junior C
Junior C

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:51 pm

P Kelly, Foley, McGrillen
That is a serious full back line!
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Would love to see sean hurley gettin a run on the team.. He's the best of all the young lads from that minor team IMO...
Keith cribben and a few lads like that could be down the peckin order...

Lyons Fitzpatrick mac wouldn't be a bad full back line either
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Plus hopefully, given he too is at Collingwood, Paul Cribbin comes back a beast of a man in a couple of years a la Marty Clarke 2010.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 pm

I'd have Dermot over Hughie any day I have to say - amazed it's even discussed. But I presume it's because there's a doubt that Dermot will be fit. If Dermot is fit, he'll be there and Hughie will be the good option off the bench.

I think Leinster is a very real prospect now and the reason why all Kildare people should have been praying Dublin won. Their hunger can't be the same, their eye might just come off the ball. Already I read a thing today where Alan Brogan was talking about the team having turned down promotional opportunities - they won't be turning them down over the next 12 months I bet, Cluxton excepted. Meath are in a bit of disarray although you'd always fear them - they certainly put the fear of God into us this year. But it's there, and we're amongst the contenders for ultimate honours.

Some luck with injuries would be just lovely...
Back to top Go down

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Ogie wrote:
I'd have Dermot over Hughie any day I have to say - amazed it's even discussed. But I presume it's because there's a doubt that Dermot will be fit. If Dermot is fit, he'll be there and Hughie will be the good option off the bench...

Couldn't agree more. 2 years ago Dermot was an All Star midfielder. The man fully fit is untouchable.

Ogie wrote:
I think Leinster is a very real prospect now and the reason why all Kildare people should have been praying Dublin won. Their hunger can't be the same, their eye might just come off the ball.

I see Mickey Whelan has already announced that he is leaving his role as selector with Dublin. Don't be surprised if Pat Gilroy was to leave also.

Ogie wrote:
Already I read a thing today where Alan Brogan was talking about the team having turned down promotional opportunities - they won't be turning them down over the next 12 months I bet, Cluxton excepted.

Cluxton whilst his actions seem to be admiral and all must be 7 cans short of a 6 pack.

Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 pm

I think Gilroy will stay and dermot early is miles ahead of others when fit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kildare 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare 2012   Kildare 2012 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare 2012
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next